University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to people who have heard back! It's so exciting that our class is getting bigger! I can't wait to meet everyone :)

How do you guys feel about the curriculum thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations everyone accepted so far! I also interviewed on 11/4 and just got an acceptance email!!!! :D

Got my acceptance email today too!! :D The email wan't from Peter, and it told us what campus we were accepted into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to people who have heard back! It's so exciting that our class is getting bigger! I can't wait to meet everyone :)

How do you guys feel about the curriculum thing?

I was actually kind of excited for the new curriculum, even though semesters would be longer, I think the new set up would be good for the way I learn. However, I am just happy to get in :) congrats to everyone else!

So excited for everyone and I cannot wait to get to know all of you. I'm also excited that I already know 2 (hopefully the number will end up being 4) of my pharmacy classmates :) Can't wait

I was actually kind of excited for the new curriculum, even though semesters would be longer, I think the new set up would be good for the way I learn. However, I am just happy to get in :) congrats to everyone else!

Me too. It sounded like they were going to spread out the coursework in year 2 so that it wouldn't be so intense. And they were going to add more electives.

Oh well, at least we know we're getting the already great curriculum that the school is known for! We don't have to be the guinea pigs :D

Me too. It sounded like they were going to spread out the coursework in year 2 so that it wouldn't be so intense. And they were going to add more electives.

Oh well, at least we know we're getting the already great curriculum that the school is known for! We don't have to be the guinea pigs :D

I suppose not being the guinea pigs is a good thing :)

SO weird to think that we have orientation August 29th and 30th! All this talk about next year makes it so hard to keep focusing on finals I have coming up!

Congrats to everyone who just got accepted!! Nothing better than an early Christmas gift like that. :)

I am so glad we are not the guinea pigs. The new curriculum will be great, but I'd rather go through one that's well established.
I'm also having a hard time focusing on finals because I am so excited for next fall in the Twin Cities!

Congrats to everyone who just got accepted!! Nothing better than an early Christmas gift like that. :)

I am so glad we are not the guinea pigs. The new curriculum will be great, but I'd rather go through one that's well established.
I'm also having a hard time focusing on finals because I am so excited for next fall in the Twin Cities!

Yep! I'm currently in a class that's a prerequisite for other schools but not for Minnesota. I'm finding it really hard to study for it when I no longer need it.

Since a lot of you are from Minnesota, are you guys planning to move to Minneapolis or commute from where you're currently at? I'm coming all the way from California so I don't know when I should start looking for a place to live.

Yep! I'm currently in a class that's a prerequisite for other schools but not for Minnesota. I'm finding it really hard to study for it when I no longer need it.

Since a lot of you are from Minnesota, are you guys planning to move to Minneapolis or commute from where you're currently at? I'm coming all the way from California so I don't know when I should start looking for a place to live.

I'm an undergrad here at the U so I'm already living pretty to campus. A lot of students live in the Dinky Town area, the East Bank and the West Bank. I think I'm going to stay in the Dinky Town area or find some houses near Como Ave..

Are you looking for a house or apartment?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an undergrad here at the U so I'm already living pretty to campus. A lot of students live in the Dinky Town area, the East Bank and the West Bank. I think I'm going to stay in the Dinky Town area or find some houses near Como Ave..

I might actually have a place already in the St. Anthony Main area! I'm so excited :)

Probably an apartment.....the cheaper the better ;). I don't mind sharing an apartment with people but I want my own room, because I've shared a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 other people for the last 2 years and I'm pretty tired of it because I never get any privacy. I heard Dinkytown is a really fun place to live; the only downside is the large amount of undergraduates so there's a lot of partying going around, which may be distracting if you're trying to study. I've heard to avoid the Riverside area because it's a pretty shady area. I really just want somewhere that's not too expensive but safe that is within walking/biking distance to campus. Do you like living in Dinkytown?

Probably an apartment.....the cheaper the better ;). I don't mind sharing an apartment with people but I want my own room, because I've shared a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 other people for the last 2 years and I'm pretty tired of it because I never get any privacy. I heard Dinkytown is a really fun place to live; the only downside is the large amount of undergraduates so there's a lot of partying going around, which may be distracting if you're trying to study. I've heard to avoid the Riverside area because it's a pretty shady area. I really just want somewhere that's not too expensive but safe that is within walking/biking distance to campus. Do you like living in Dinkytown?

I think sharing a house would probably be cheaper and you can definitely have your own room for about $450-600 a month. I like living in Dinkytown since it is very convenient.. It pretty much has everything you need. While it is a fun area to live in, it does get quite loud especially when people are having their parities :oops: (my place isn't that bad though:rolleyes:). Maybe you could try looking for houses near the Como area? It is more quiet than Dinkytown and the best thing is that it is also right on the bus line.

It's a condo...it's really cool. 11th floor and you can see the river. 2 bedroom 1.5 baths. We got it on the cheap, because it hasn't been touched since the 80's..but now we get to renovate!

Did anyone receive any scholarship?

I think sharing a house would probably be cheaper and you can definitely have your own room for about $450-600 a month. I like living in Dinkytown since it is very convenient.. It pretty much has everything you need. While it is a fun area to live in, it does get quite loud especially when people are having their parities :oops: (my place isn't that bad though:rolleyes:). Maybe you could try looking for houses near the Como area? It is more quiet than Dinkytown and the best thing is that it is also right on the bus line.

Oooooh $450-600 sounds totally doable! (Especially compared to average rent in the OC :p). I'll definitely look into the Como area. Do you know if there are any downsides to living in a house as oppose to an apartment?

Oooooh $450-600 sounds totally doable! (Especially compared to average rent in the OC :p). I'll definitely look into the Como area. Do you know if there are any downsides to living in a house as oppose to an apartment?

Hmmmm, I guess compared to an apartment, you don't get all the amenities likes gym, group study rooms and stuff.. I can't think of any other bad things lol

I might be coming up from California, too! How are you planning to get your stuff up to Minneapolis? Are you flying or driving? I'm not sure what is the best way to move up to Minnesota!

I might be coming up from California, too! How are you planning to get your stuff up to Minneapolis? Are you flying or driving? I'm not sure what is the best way to move up to Minnesota!

Another Californian! Yay! Where from Cali are you from? I'm thinking about driving there because I'd like to have my car with me. However, I drive a Corolla so I don't know how feasible it's going to be to fit all my stuff in there plus at least one parent coming with me for the drive haha. I guess I'll figure it out more after I find a place to live.

Another Californian! Yay! Where from Cali are you from? I'm thinking about driving there because I'd like to have my car with me. However, I drive a Corolla so I don't know how feasible it's going to be to fit all my stuff in there plus at least one parent coming with me for the drive haha. I guess I'll figure it out more after I find a place to live.

Do you know you can have your car sent up to Minnesota? I'm from Northern California. Did you get accepted to any schools in California? I got accepted to Cal Northstate and Touro University but I'm choosing Minnesota because it's a better school. If I don't get accepted to other California schools, I will go to Minnesota.

OK. It is decision time. What are pros and cons of Minnesota--Twin Cities??

Do you know you can have your car sent up to Minnesota? I'm from Northern California. Did you get accepted to any schools in California? I got accepted to Cal Northstate and Touro University but I'm choosing Minnesota because it's a better school. If I don't get accepted to other California schools, I will go to Minnesota.

Yeah I know a friend that shipped her car from California to Maine and that cost her over $1000 so I'm not sure if it's worth it haha.

Technically no....I didn't apply to Northstate and I never finished by supplemental for Touro. I did get an interview invite for USC but I'm turning it down; the tuition is ridiculously expensive and I don't like the area and dealing with LA traffic. I'm pretty set on going to Minnesota unless I hear from UCSF.

If anyone is curious about the admissions stats, here is the info they gave us at the 12/9 interview:

24 applicants interviewing on 12/9
84 total applicants interviewed (including 12/9)
360 projected total interviews
60 applicants reviewed for admission
41 applicants admitted: (12 Duluth) and (29 Twin Cities)

If anyone is curious about the admissions stats, here is the info they gave us at the 12/9 interview:

24 applicants interviewing on 12/9
84 total applicants interviewed (including 12/9)
360 projected total interviews
60 applicants reviewed for admission
41 applicants admitted: (12 Duluth) and (29 Twin Cities)

So that means so far they've interviewed 60 applicants and admitted 41!

About housing, does anyone know if they have cheap studios?

About housing, does anyone know if they have cheap studios?

This all depends on your definition of cheap. ;)

Housing seems to be a bit cheaper for the Duluth students than the Twin Cities students. Cheap studios might be available further outside the U of M campus. I looked at some pretty dumpy studios for about $700/month in Dinkytown last year.

Plan to spend more if you want to live on your own and not smell your neighbors' food all the time. With roommates, the costs are cheaper...but then again, you have roommates...

This all depends on your definition of cheap. ;)

Housing seems to be a bit cheaper for the Duluth students than the Twin Cities students. Cheap studios might be available further outside the U of M campus. I looked at some pretty dumpy studios for about $700/month in Dinkytown last year.

Plan to spend more if you want to live on your own and not smell your neighbors' food all the time. With roommates, the costs are cheaper...but then again, you have roommates...

By studio, I meant a dorm-like situation where you have your own room but shared the kitchens and bathrooms with a bunch of people on your floor. It would be cheaper than living in a real studio. Of course, one could also share a studio with a roommate?

Congrats to those students accepted! I am currently a 4th year on rotations (I know old news), however, if you have any questions I would be glad to help you out.

I wanted to pass on some good news about your choice to attend the Univeristy of Minnesota. Before I tell the situation I want to let you all know that this isn't about rankings but about the prestige of the program. I attended ASHP national meeting in New Orleans for some residency information/showcase.

A non-Midwest region resident director from the showcase mentioned that when looking at possible residents he makes sure they are coming from a credible and well established program. I mentioned I am from the U of M and he said you can't get better than our university and tends to give a huge advantage to the students from our program. It is a great program and we graduate top students.

Just something to think about and feel proud you were accepted to a great institution! Best of luck to you all!

Did anyone who was interviewed on Dec 9th receive an email yet?

Did anyone who was interviewed on Dec 9th receive an email yet?

Hate to be the barer of bad news but you likely won't hear back until January. I'm basing that on the response times for earlier interviews.

Congrats to those students accepted! I am currently a 4th year on rotations (I know old news), however, if you have any questions I would be glad to help you out.

I wanted to pass on some good news about your choice to attend the Univeristy of Minnesota. Before I tell the situation I want to let you all know that this isn't about rankings but about the prestige of the program. I attended ASHP national meeting in New Orleans for some residency information/showcase.

A non-Midwest region resident director from the showcase mentioned that when looking at possible residents he makes sure they are coming from a credible and well established program. I mentioned I am from the U of M and he said you can't get better than our university and tends to give a huge advantage to the students from our program. It is a great program and we graduate top students.

Just something to think about and feel proud you were accepted to a great institution! Best of luck to you all!
It's nice to know that the U of M program is so well regarded! I am considering doing a residency after school, too. Can I ask how easy it is to obtain internships around the Twin Cities area (if you go to the Twin Cities campus) with no previous pharmacy work experience?

Actually, this year is a little different. Stacy Tomhave told us that they are going to make a decision before winter break. :)

No response yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One week to go.

It's nice to know that the U of M program is so well regarded! I am considering doing a residency after school, too. Can I ask how easy it is to obtain internships around the Twin Cities area (if you go to the Twin Cities campus) with no previous pharmacy work experience?

The easy part of this is to say that I do not know of anyone that doesn't have an internship set up. There are people that I know that have both interships in hospital and or retail that have not worked in pharmacy before. Will it be harder? I would probably say yes but you will find something for sure. Job outlook for pharmacists are probably a little bit more shaky than internships in all honesty.

A lot of it also depends on the trends of the classes. If you do want a hospital internship I would suggest doing so within your first year. Retail is a little easier to get, however, I think you will be fine. Great institution, Some of the best hospitals in the nation, and plenty of opportunities. Take the leap and become a Minnesooootan :)

The easy part of this is to say that I do not know of anyone that doesn't have an internship set up. There are people that I know that have both interships in hospital and or retail that have not worked in pharmacy before. Will it be harder? I would probably say yes but you will find something for sure. Job outlook for pharmacists are probably a little bit more shaky than internships in all honesty.

A lot of it also depends on the trends of the classes. If you do want a hospital internship I would suggest doing so within your first year. Retail is a little easier to get, however, I think you will be fine. Great institution, Some of the best hospitals in the nation, and plenty of opportunities. Take the leap and become a Minnesooootan :)

I'm interested in working during my 1st year. I hear a lot of 1st years have jobs. How do I go about looking for hospital jobs/internships? I'm hoping to catch some openings as people graduate. I do have over 2 years of retail pharmacy experience but I don't know how much that will help to get a hospital position.

Are we allowed to work as an intern the summer before school starts? Is it true that we can't work as an intern until we're done with the first year?

I'm interested in working during my 1st year. I hear a lot of 1st years have jobs. How do I go about looking for hospital jobs/internships? I'm hoping to catch some openings as people graduate. I do have over 2 years of retail pharmacy experience but I don't know how much that will help to get a hospital position.

Once you accept your admittance, Peter Haeg in the Twin Cities (maybe Ruth Leathers in Duluth? Not sure) will put you on a class email list. We have numerous local pharmacies who email the College of Pharmacy looking for students to work, and then the College emails the students the openings. It makes it easy to find open positions as soon as they come up. You can also use Google to find local hospitals for internships. Fairview is right on campus, and I've also heard great things about working for Bethesda (though it's not as close).

Are we allowed to work as an intern the summer before school starts? Is it true that we can't work as an intern until we're done with the first year?

You can't intern until you finish first year successfully. You can work as a technician, however. Many first years work. I work too; I think it provides a much needed break from the slog that school can become (trust me on this...as excited you will be the first week, by finals week, you will be *so* ready for a break! It's currently finals week...I can't wait for break to begin!).

There's a lot to do during pharmacy school, and a lot of choices for extracurriculars, working outside of school, etc. It's basically a big balancing act...you just have to choose to do what you want to do most. Some people can do everything, but you don't want to forget you're there to learn, first and foremost. You also don't want to be the 4.0 student with no extracurriculars or work experience.

Anyway...congratulations to all of you who've been admitted; you are in for a great 4 years!

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

Yep I did I got on the wait list :oops:.

Don't worry I'm there right with you!! All this time I thought I was the only one who got placed on the waitlist.. hope you've applied to other schools =)

This might be off topic.. but for those who are still looking for housing, a friend (who also got accepted here) and I are currently house/apartment hunting for next fall, so if anyone is interested in living with us, please PM me :)

We're planning to either get a 3br or 4br house (or apartment) somewhere in dinkytown area or stadium village. And of course you will have your own room :D

I forgot to mention that we are both females, so we would prefer to live with female students.

Last edited:
Finding a place to live is harder than I thought it would be. I just hope that I don't choose a place where I can hear the neighbors through the walls and I don't have to deal with a party in the apartment below/above me with the base bouncing. Anyone know if there are apartments specifically for graduate/professional students close by?