University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gopher13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I didn't see a thread started, so I wanted to start one for those applying this application cycle for admission to Minnesota. You can post stats, advice, or any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances ?

PharmCAS GPA
Overall: 3.62 for 58 credits
Science: 3.33 for 24 credits
Math: 4.00 for 8 credits
Non-science: 3.77 for 26 credits

Not taken PCAT yet. Taking September 26
1 year 9 months retail customer service experience
1 semester biology lab tutor experience
54 hours college blogging experience
24 hours rehab volunteer experience
6 scholarships and awards
Independent photographer with a personal website and portfolio

Submitted my WRONG DRAFT to PharmCAS, and PharmCAS doesn't replace it. UMN agreed to replace it by direct email.

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to have a great gpa and extracurricular experience. Are you expecting to receive a bachelor's degree before starting pharmacy school? While its not required over 90% of those accepted have one.

How close are you to completing a BA/BS, also where do you go to school?

As I said earlier, I have only completed 58 credits so far. I go to a community college in Maryland.

As I said earlier, I have only completed 58 credits so far. I go to a community college in Maryland.

I would speak to the admissons counselors about it, because they will be able to give you a better idea of where you fit compared to previous applicants w/o a B.S/B.A. Are you applying to other schools as well?

Thank you. I am thinking about applying at 4-5 schools, but a lot depends on how I do on my September PCAT. If I do well, I might settle with 4-5 schools (3 instate, and 2-3 out state). If I don't do well, I will have to apply at 10 schools including pre-candidates lol

Applying to 10 schools sounds expensive! Good luck on the PCAT!

Thank you. It is expensive, but it's better than losing an entire year working at a grocery store...lol..What are your plans btw ?

Thank you. It is expensive, but it's better than losing an entire year working at a grocery store...lol..What are your plans btw ?

That is very true! My plans are to apply to Minnesota and Wisconsin right away, because of rolling admission for UMN and an early deadline for UW. If I dont get accepted (waitlisted/declined) by both schools I will expand my application to Iowa, Michigan, OSU, and Colorado. Hopefully I don't have to get to that point though, because I want to stay in the area.

Cool plan ! What are your stats ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Degree Anticipated: B.S. Genetics
GPA: 3.2 (105 credits)
SGPA: 3.1ish (around 80 credits)
PCAT:92 composite, chem>bio>math>english>reading

Extracurricular:
5 years working in retail pharmacy
Summer Managed Care internship
President of Pre-Pharmacy Club
President, Vice President, Philanthropy chair and founding father of a fraternity
50ish hours of shadowing
TA for summer biology Course
Attended 3, week long leadership conferences
Medical Reserve Core Pharmaceutical Repackaging Team

Hey! Do you guys wanna attend the Twin Cities campus or Duluth? Also has anyone heard of any supplemental information going out yet?
My stats are
GPA: 3.38
PCAT: 76
-7 years of tutoring and other volunteer experience
-5 years of customer service experience
-I currently work in a hospital, and have done job shadowing and informational interviews with Pharmacists.
-BS in Human Physiology and Minor in Chemistry
My first choice is the University of Minnesota. I'm hoping that because I got my application in early I'll have a better chance of getting in.
Good luck to both of you!

I am planning on saying "only twin-cities", because I like the campus here too much and there are a lot of opportunities. I think the supplemental will come out in a few weeks (I still have to submit mine, waiting to finish shadowing a couple more pharmacists). Did you go to the U?

I did not go there. I actually go to the University of Iowa. I'm from Minnesota though, so I would love to get in there.

Has anyone received the supplemental application yet?

No, I haven't. I actually heard that they won't send out any supplemental information until the first week in September.

Interesting because previously they sent them middle-third week of august

Has anyone seen the supplemental yet? I see that the site is up, however I'm still waiting for my application to be mailed out.

Just received the supplemental application in email. it is just a few questions regarding demographic information, and the essays posted on the main website.

Last edited:
Just received the supplemental application in email. it is just a few questions regarding demographic information, and the essays posted on the main website.

I got that email as well. When do you plan on sending it?

I got that email as well. When do you plan on sending it?

Already did it today and submitted it online. But my Pcat Scores haven't arrived yet from july 18 on my pharmcas application, so its pretty much the waiting game now...

Do you mind sharing your stats? Also is Minnesota your #1 choice?

Do you mind sharing your stats? Also is Minnesota your #1 choice?

Pharmcas Cumulative GPA - 3.64
Pharmcas Science GPA - 3.63
Bachelors Degree, 1 yr Grad School
120 hrs hospital pharmacy volunteer
PCAT - 89 composite
Also Applying to University of Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Suny Buffalo, Lecom Bradenton, PBA

Minnesota is top choice for me

Woah! My stats are nothing compared to that. I'm nervous about my chances now.

I wouldn't be nervous. They take a pretty holisitc view of the applications from what I've read and heard other people state. So grades aren't everything. If you have great EC's, volunteer experience, letters of recommendation, leadership roles, stuff like that will help round everything out.

Meeting many people who have been accepted to the U through the Pre-Pharmacy club, you have a great chance.

Just got an email stating

"Your application to the University of Minnesota is now complete and under review for an invitation to interview! You can expect to hear from us by email in about three weeks or less."

Wondering if anyone else received the same?

Just got an email stating

"Your application to the University of Minnesota is now complete and under review for an invitation to interview! You can expect to hear from us by email in about three weeks or less."

Wondering if anyone else received the same?

I believe everyone who submits the supplemental receives this (I got it too)

Yup! I got it too. I'm confused as to when exactly they are going to inform people about the September 21st interview date. That's in almost 2 weeks and they just started reviewing the first set of applications.

Yup! I got it too. I'm confused as to when exactly they are going to inform people about the September 21st interview date. That's in almost 2 weeks and they just started reviewing the first set of applications.

Good point. I would assume they would have to give you at least 1 or 2 weeks notice? Maybe we'll be reviewed next in line for the October interview phase. Not sure if they will fill the september slots

Good point. I would assume they would have to give you at least 1 or 2 weeks notice? Maybe we'll be reviewed next in line for the October interview phase. Not sure if they will fill the september slots

They haven't sent out any invites for the September interview yet, so hopefully we dont have to wait :)

Let me know if you guys hear anything about a September interview date I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get one. Good luck to everyone :)

Let me know if you guys hear anything about a September interview date I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get one. Good luck to everyone :)

I just looked up last year's thread and they had interviews starting on September 23rd which was also a friday, and the first post on the forum regarding an invite for interview was only 10 or 11 days before the actual interview, so we may not hear until a week-ish before lol

When did you all submit your supplemental application? I havent received anything yet, but I turned in my supplemental last week.

When did you all submit your supplemental application? I havent received anything yet, but I turned in my supplemental last week.

I submitted mine August 27th, the day they emailed me the link.

Do you think they send out all their invites for the September interview at the same time?

I also sent my supplemental stuff on August 27th the day they sent the information out. I am not positive if they'll do it all on the same day. It did say that interview spots were filled on a first come basis. So maybe if people don't accept the interview, or need a different day then they'll extend out some more invites for that day.

I wonder how it works with scholarship offers too? if one is accepted, i wonder if they tell you in your acceptance package if you are offered anything

Well congrats to you both! Hopefully I will hear back soon, since I applied a week after you two.

Congrats to all those with interviews!!:thumbup: Are you guys in-state or out of state?

Last edited:
Got the September 21st Interview in Duluth! See you all there!

I just got an interview on Oct. 26!! So surprised but excited!! I'm having a hard time deciding Duluth vs. Twin City though; they both sound amazing! Anyone else get an invite?

I just got an interview on Oct. 26!! So surprised but excited!! I'm having a hard time deciding Duluth vs. Twin City though; they both sound amazing! Anyone else get an invite?
Congrats!! When did you submit the supplemental? Also, was the interview notification by email?

Last edited: