University of Oklahoma -- all peeps -- part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, conflicting info! I'll just have to buy everything. :eek: Thanks for taking the time to give some advice! Of course, I should be focusing on phys and neuro instead of even thinking about the boards yet.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not conflicting advice! The more advice you read the better. We're giving you the info we can about your options. Obviously, I can't give you good information about Kaplan QBank, and Amx can't give you good info about USMLE Rx. We're trying to give you the pros and cons of each of your options so you can decide what's best for YOU... it's not all that bright to just take the first person's advice you get and follow it exactly, because you have no idea how similar their studying and learning methods are to yours. I read TONS of people's suggestions before deciding what to do, and I didn't go with any one person's; I just took bits and pieces from each one according to how well it fit with my preferences and came up with what I'm going to do. You'll do the same :) And it's not THAT early to be thinking about it; the best thing you can do is buy most of the books you'll plan to use before school starts, so you can use them along with your coursework (well, for Path, Pharm, and Micro anyway... no need to rush out and buy HY Anatomy before spring semester).

Speaking of Micro, I forgot one VERY VERY important detail of my studying. I forgot Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple!! IMO, it's an absolute MUST-HAVE... every person that I know that used this book did extremely well in MMI. It has these great mnemonics and pictures that really make things stick in your head... I remember most of MMI (from last semester) better than alot of Pharm and IHI that I did this semester!! I definitely plan on skimming through it one more time before step 1, but I won't have to spend too much time on it since I learned it so well the first time (and from what I've heard, MMI's pretty high yield on step 1). It will also help you quite a bit on the notoriously unpleasant antibacterial/antifungal/antiviral/antiparasitic section of pharm.

All in all, I've been pretty happy with it. I've heard from a lot of people that USMLE Rx questions are closer to the actual USMLE than Kaplan, which seems to pride itself on having lots of "difficult" questions which are not vignette oriented and instead ask incredible detail which you will not be asked about on the exam.

I've seen quite a few people knock QBank in this regard, which they have attributed to the fact that the more difficult Kaplan makes their Bank, when it comes time to decide on a review course, the more bank Kaplan makes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh... I just filled out my evals for my mod. I hate those things. What the heck is a professionalism assessment? How do they use this information?

Any ideas?

Ugh... I just filled out my evals for my mod. I hate those things. What the heck is a professionalism assessment? How do they use this information?

Any ideas?

I just gave my two people great #s.

Someone would have to be a total tool for me to give them a bad rating. We're just "in school" all the time...how can ya f*ck that up as far as professionalism. Our profs tell dirty jokes...so unless you're telling a patient about the person you doinked last night in the one hour you spent with patients this semester...where does professionalism even come in yet? I'm total frontal cortex around patients...or is it prefrontal? lol I dunno, whichever one tells me not to talk.

Yeah, I just give 'em the highest ratings without even reading the questions. I tried to read the questions the first time and decided that I really didn't have the ability to effectively and fairly rank any of my classmates with that much specificity, so I gave up.

I, too, am curious as to how they use those things. If you get a bad eval, do you get called into the dean's office?

Yeah, I just give 'em the highest ratings without even reading the questions. I tried to read the questions the first time and decided that I really didn't have the ability to effectively and fairly rank any of my classmates with that much specificity, so I gave up.

I, too, am curious as to how they use those things. If you get a bad eval, do you get called into the dean's office?

I assume since we all grade 2 people, we are all graded by two as well....so if both of "for instance" Freeze's graders said he was a total d*ckhead and kicked puppies on the way to school...he might get asked about it :smuggrin:

I assume since we all grade 2 people, we are all graded by two as well....so if both of "for instance" Freeze's graders said he was a total d*ckhead and kicked puppies on the way to school...he might get asked about it :smuggrin:

I have never kicked someone else's dog that didn't have it comin'. But I wouldn't dispute being a dickhead. :thumbup:

I'd be curious what'd happen though, if you put "so and so was pretty professional, except for that bong he has in his desk." for example.

Mmmmmm, two weeks from this moment, with any luck I'll be passed out on a beach in Aruba...hopefully I don't get abducted and forced into the Thai sex trade...or get a DVT on the flight...

I have never kicked someone else's dog that didn't have it comin'. But I wouldn't dispute being a dickhead. :thumbup:

I'd be curious what'd happen though, if you put "so and so was pretty professional, except for that bong he has in his desk." for example.

Mmmmmm, two weeks from this moment, with any luck I'll be passed out on a beach in Aruba...hopefully I don't get abducted and forced into the Thai sex trade...or get a DVT on the flight...

Oh dude...thai chicks are hot...
they totally look like type-1 diabetic chicks... Mmmmm:thumbup:

I feel like I'm the only person without any cool summer plans. :( I got the time but not the money, which is just lame, but I guess that's the old story, right? My exciting summer plans so far are to take a yoga class and maybe attempt to learn some Spanish. :oops:

I feel like I'm the only person without any cool summer plans. :( I got the time but not the money, which is just lame, but I guess that's the old story, right? My exciting summer plans so far are to take a yoga class and maybe attempt to learn some Spanish. :oops:

HEYYYYYY
yo hablo espanol :D
sorta.

We can practice on each other ;)
Maybe even squeeze in a lil spanish too.

But for yoga...I'm as stretchable as a 30 yr old rubber band that's been sittin in the sun.

My summer plans depend on my grades on the finals. *trying not to vomit*

Oh dude...thai chicks are hot...
they totally look like type-1 diabetic chicks... Mmmmm:thumbup:

Prolly more like pre-Type I diabetics :scared:

I probably don't have the money for cool stuff either; however, I have somehow survived 10 years of being married without pissing my wife off enough that she puts a couple loads of buckshot into my dome while I sleep. If celebrating such an accomplishment means bicycle commuting and beans & rice, well, that's ok.

Prolly more like pre-Type I diabetics :scared:

I probably don't have the money for cool stuff either; however, I have somehow survived 10 years of being married without pissing my wife off enough that she puts a couple loads of buckshot into my dome while I sleep. If celebrating such an accomplishment means bicycle commuting and beans & rice, well, that's ok.

Ten years...yep..that's when I threw in the towel...well, after she threw in the "not f*cking other people" part of the vows haha....yea I know...I am so demanding.

I can't figure how you made it ten yrs and just now had a lil one. You still have better vacations than me...which means you're a pr*ck.

Members don't see this ad :)
We need to move, but I don't want to do that this summer, so that's not happening. If we lived somewhere cheaper (and better insulated!!), we could go somewhere cool. This is why you should not pick out a place to live in a new city in two days with no leads right after attending your mil's funeral. Word to the wise to the incoming students. :)

So type 1 diabetic chicks look cool because they're skinny??

We need to move, but I don't want to do that this summer, so that's not happening. If we lived somewhere cheaper (and better insulated!!), we could go somewhere cool. This is why you should not pick out a place to live in a new city in two days with no leads right after attending your mil's funeral. Word to the wise to the incoming students. :)

So type 1 diabetic chicks look cool because they're skinny??

Yea...it's a joke tho...I dated a skinny latina chick with diabetes for 2 yrs....she ended up being a flake so I had to have her deported.

I think I'm moving back to the okc area at the end of this month. So moving is in my plans for the summer...blah...

Try to find a nice woman to abuse me for a while in the okc area...I have as much luck with women as a Jew marrying bin laden's sister.

OKC has to have better pickings than McLoud. :) But moving is so, so, so horrible.

Movings couldn't suck more...but I'm used to it.

It's hard to find a woman who is looking for a guy with no free time. :rolleyes: and who actually thinks studying or spending time with his kids is more important that sitting on a couch watching Terms of F*cking Endearment.

Yep...being an old bachelor is gonna be just dandy.

thats what credit cards and extra loan money are for. :) thats what i tell myself anyway.

I don't have a clue how the administration uses the evaluations, but you'll get yours in the fall. I remember opening up the envelope and reading them thinking, "What a prick! Who wrote this crap?!" and then realizing that was my self-evaluation. ;)

I wrote more (and was more critical) about myself than other people were of me. Oh well... I guess that's what I got for taking it seriously. ;)

On an unrelated note, I'm getting tired of these thunderstorms rolling through in the wee-morning hours and waking me up. Although, I am glad I don't live in a flood-prone area... or have to leave the house.

But moving is so, so, so horrible.

Movings couldn't suck more...but I'm used to it.

ODE TO MOVING (to the tune of HI-HO by the 7 Drawfs)

It sucks, It sucks,
It really, really blows
And when you think you're all packed up,
It sucks, AND blows.

What's even worse for me is that I'm planning on doing it again next year when we buy another house. :eek:

I'm seconding Bagel with don't pick where you're going to live too hastily. That is what we did with our current house, and don't get me wrong, we really like it, but we would have been a little more selective had we rented for a while to know the lay of the land.

This time we're going to rent for a year to get to know OKC better (specifically where would we want to live) and then buy a house. I also don't want the time sink of home maintenance AND med school immediately preceding and following the arrival of the kiddos which will be a time sink in themselves. 4-5 months after they are born, we should have things figured out (med-school-wise and OKC-wise, not necessarily kiddo-wise ;) ) and be ready to buy.

So I left my house to go to that neuro thing and realized that my neighborhood streets are practically flooded, so I said screw it and went home. I'm not risking my life for the possibility of 4 bonus points. Now I get to sit at home and see if my living room starts flooding because it looks like one of the drains in our porch is clogged again. Did I mention that I love my place? :rolleyes: Of course I could go stand in a pool of water in a lightning storm to clear it, but I'm not risking my life to save my landlord's carpet, either.

So I left my house to go to that neuro thing and realized that my neighborhood streets are practically flooded, so I said screw it and went home. I'm not risking my life for the possibility of 4 bonus points. Now I get to sit at home and see if my living room starts flooding because it looks like one of the drains in our porch is clogged again. Did I mention that I love my place? :rolleyes: Of course I could go stand in a pool of water in a lightning storm to clear it, but I'm not risking my life to save my landlord's carpet, either.
I hate my place too.
Anyone wanna recommend some good aptartments in the OKC area?
(<$550/mo for a 2 bedroom, prefer 3 but oh well)

Otherwise I'm moving in with Bagel Babe ;)

RachelD - I have finished up with the lab portion of anatomy. Let me know when you'd like me to get the Netter's flashcards back to you. They have been sooo helpful!!!

Once I finish up my last final, I get actually start looking for a house or condo! :cool: I'm pretty flippin' excited about that. Also, we're going to buy me a new car after we get a house :D . Then once I get my loans, I get a new lap top!

This is why pre-meds act like getting into med school is akin to winning the lottery. It makes it so you can, if nothing else, contemplate doing things like getting a house... etc.

Oh and I get to go to:
1. The Virgin Islands
2. Colorado
3. Washington DC

over the summer... :thumbup: Summer = reason for living.

Isn't it ironic? You chose a career in medicine, in which you'll only have one more free summer in the next 7 years (at the least). Have fun on your second-to-last summer :)! I certainly will be having fun on my last.

Me as a future doctor:

"Doc I think I have a stomach ulcer! What should I do?"

"I don't know. I remember something about that in physiology, but it was in the last test block and I didn't really study all that much... something about a helicopter and NSAIDS. Umm... Don't ride helicopters for 6 months and I'll give you a script for Ibuprofen. You'll be fine."

"Thanks doc!"

(In my mind I envisions myself being called doc for some reason... is that weird or wrong somehow?)

Isn't it ironic? You chose a career in medicine, in which you'll only have one more free summer in the next 7 years (at the least). Have fun on your second-to-last summer :)! I certainly will be having fun on my last.

That's the plan. Yeah, it pretty much sucks that I have 2 summers left... ever. Then it is like entering the real world with just vacation time vs. summers off. Oh well, I get to give people drugs. That's way better than summer!

Oh well, I get to give people drugs. That's way better than summer!

You know, there are other ways to give people drugs that don't necessarily involve losing your summer freedom...although you could possibly lose entire years of freedom if caught....:eek: :laugh:

I'm really quite jealous of all the stuff that you are doing this summer. It sounds like so much fun. Oh well, making money isn't that bad either...maybe I will do something like that next summer. Nah, I'll probably want to make some more money again by then...stupid money, if you just didn't need it to live, life would be great.

Me as a future doctor:

"Doc I think I have a stomach ulcer! What should I do?"

"I don't know. I remember something about that in physiology, but it was in the last test block and I didn't really study all that much... something about a helicopter and NSAIDS. Umm... Don't ride helicopters for 6 months and I'll give you a script for Ibuprofen. You'll be fine."

"Thanks doc!"

(In my mind I envisions myself being called doc for some reason... is that weird or wrong somehow?)

Ironically, you'll encounter ulcers and helicopters and NSAIDs in your last test block of next year too... so by this time next year it'll actually be second nature to say "We'll need to treat that with triple therapy Metronidazole, Bismuth, and Tetracycline. Here's a PPI to help with your symptoms." :D

That's one of the weird (but wonderful) things about medicine... if it's REALLY important... they'll make sure you know it by the end of MSII ;)

When I first read all that, I was thinking, WTF does a helicopter ride have to do with ulcers? I don't ever remember being particularly stressed during any :confused:

OH, THAT helicopter :idea:

Who brought the smart kid??

In fact, I think I can feel my H. Pylori setting up shop for next week right now...

ERRONEOUS!! How dare you minimize the crucial role of p53, or, or the CREB binding proteins!?!?! :eek: WHAT!?!? How can the fact that erections occur because of no Penis Destroying Enzyme NOT be important!?!? We review it roughly every two weeks!! I bet next you're going to try to tell me it's not important to know the linear orientation between the synovial crystals found in gouty and pseudo-gouty arthritis!?! Ohhh, the horror,,,,I can't bear to listen...:scared:

ERRONEOUS!! How dare you minimize the crucial role of p53, or, or the CREB binding proteins!?!?! :eek: WHAT!?!? How can the fact that erections occur because of no Penis Destroying Enzyme NOT be important!?!? We review it roughly every two weeks!! I bet next you're going to try to tell me it's not important to know the linear orientation between the synovial crystals found in gouty and pseudo-gouty arthritis!?! Ohhh, the horror,,,,I can't bear to listen...:scared:

Yeah, my statement was a gross generalization. Clearly I wasn't talking about stuff like this because its importance is obvious. In fact, I think biochem has been the most useful class of our first year. ;)

Yeah, my statement was a gross generalization. Clearly I wasn't talking about stuff like this because its importance is obvious. In fact, I think biochem has been the most useful class of our first year. ;)

Well, it's not a total loss... in spite of its general clinical uselessness, I keep hearing over and over that it's a major part of step 1... so those of us that made a C (Rage! Rage! A 79!! Why did I ever sleep in on those mandatory correlations... :mad: ) have a lot of catch up to do after finals :(

Well, it's not a total loss... in spite of its general clinical uselessness, I keep hearing over and over that it's a major part of step 1... so those of us that made a C (Rage! Rage! A 79!! Why did I ever sleep in on those mandatory correlations... :mad: ) have a lot of catch up to do after finals :(

That's not good because I've already forgotten all of it. A 79 because of missing a clinical correlation! That would really really suck. Hopefully it wasn't a 79.4 or something horrible like that. So, hmm, maybe I should read some Lippincott over the summer.

i couldnt find anything else about this by searching old threads though i think i remember somebody posting advice.

is brs phys the best resource for the comprehensive phys portion of the final? going through it, it seems like a lot of stuff is let out. is there more stuff we need to study?

i couldnt find anything else about this by searching old threads though i think i remember somebody posting advice.

is brs phys the best resource for the comprehensive phys portion of the final? going through it, it seems like a lot of stuff is let out. is there more stuff we need to study?

BRS Phys is good for the phys final.

Also, I noticed someone posted that I didn't start studying much for boards until after MS2. That's partially true. IMO, some of the most valuable studying you do for boards is by studying hard your spring semester of MS2. Also having comprehensive finals for Pharm and IHI helps alot as well. If you do well on those two finals, you already have two major subjects down cold (better than you need to ace those on Step 1 even). Then you just have to study MMI, and all the MS1 crap, and do a quick review using 1st Aid or Step-Up to freshen up the IHI and Pharm.

Good luck everyone!

I just read Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, and I've got to say that was a waste of time. It might have been useful way back in January but not anymore. So for those of you who held off on buying/reading it, don't bother unless you really need to review the basics (and I mean basics).

I just read Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, and I've got to say that was a waste of time. It might have been useful way back in January but not anymore. So for those of you who held off on buying/reading it, don't bother unless you really need to review the basics (and I mean basics).

Yea..They should have called it "Block 1 neuro made simple".

I hate neuro...half of it doesn't make sense to me. :mad:

It'll all make sense at the end.

Oh wait, it is the end. Aw, **** it.

While I don't have any personal experience, I've heard from many others that Micro is the only good book in that entire series... my understanding is that all the others have the same problem :(

You'll make it Johnny! Block SDN from your computer, that should increase your study time a little bit. ;)

This **** better make sense 9 days from now or I'm 2011 bound:thumbdown:

Eh, it doesn't have to make sense to pass. I don't think neuro winds up making sense to anybody ever. Anyway, you're going to pass. As I recall, you don't have to do better than you've been doing so far, right?

wow.
30 minutes ago my ceiling fell in.
3ftx3ft section...now there's asbestos and crap all over the hall.

Have I mentioned I hate my house :laugh:

Any ideas as to where the Neuro review vid is hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.