~~University of Pennsylvania c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
blimey said:
What kind of computer (mac or pc) is best for penn? Does it matter?

well, i was going to reply, but decided against it since i didn't know for sure...

but i would think it probably doesn't matter...just a matter of preference. penn does not have any laptop requirements, so i doubt they would care whether you're using a pc or a mac...

Members don't see this ad.

PickMe said:
has anyone done anything for financial aid besides submitting fafsa? is there anything we can do right now?

You need to find a lender to administer your federal loans and you need to apply for private loans to cover the difference (in case you are taking out loans).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
It doesn't matter. Personallym, I have a Mac and I love it.
Does anyone own a tablet PC in your class. i wanted to see if they are any good for taking notes in class.

cowsgomoo said:
Does anyone own a tablet PC in your class. i wanted to see if they are any good for taking notes in class.

how is the note-taking process like? do we take our own notes, or do professors give handouts for us to take notes on?

Sprgrover said:
You need to find a lender to administer your federal loans and you need to apply for private loans to cover the difference (in case you are taking out loans).

haha "in case you are taking out loans"...loans are the only thing thats gonna get me through school. when should i aim to have that done by?

Wow.....seems like everyone is getting ready for school
I found my place about a month ago, and it's located in 24th and South Street which is about a mile away from school. It seems like I'm the one living the fartherest from school. I should've checked with you guys before. I'm screwed~~!!!!! :eek:

swanlake said:
I found my place about a month ago, and it's located in 24th and South Street which is about a mile away from school. It seems like I'm the one living the fartherest from school. I should've checked with you guys before. I'm screwed~~!!!!! :eek:

from what ive heard before, there are a number of people that dont live real close to the dental school. during the lunch with students at my interview, they said a lot of upperclassmen live in center city. youll be fine, dont worry!

PickMe said:
from what ive heard before, there are a number of people that dont live real close to the dental school. during the lunch with students at my interview, they said a lot of upperclassmen live in center city. youll be fine, dont worry!

I'm probably going to be living in center city next year, too. :)

swanlake said:

You're not screwed. You will have to wake up before everyone else and will have to deal with public transportation. During your first two years you will be at school a lot and the commute, while it might seem small, might get on your nerves. During your 3rd and 4th years your course load will be lighter (basically like a 9-5 job) and living farther out in the suburbs is easier.

Wow... what a big thread... (my first post too!)

About those earlier posts-- some people take notes on computer. I know one kid in our class has a tablet pc. It's cool b/c he can just scribble notes on the ppt file (everything at Penn is powerpoint) and he doesn't print anything.

Oh, and I know that right now people are shopping for computers... but I also wanted to mention that another big purchase people should think about are buying a pair of loupes. They're basically like magnifying glasses attached to glasses. Don't worry about it until you get to dental school, but be prepared--- they cost about $800 or so.... but are worth it.

Sansom place isn't nice. The location is perfect, but the actual rooms leave a lot to be desired. Almost everyone I know that lives here is moving out. I'd recommend living around the dental school. There's a lot of housing within a few blocks.

To people who are curious-- Penn is intense... the academics are much more rigorous than I expected (ie. enjoy your free-time now). Now that we have started GRD though (lab-- for learning hand skills 'n such) class has gotten to be more fun. Anyone who likes playing with wax... raise your hand...

~Marcus

mechis said:
Wow... what a big thread... (my first post too!)

About those earlier posts-- some people take notes on computer. I know one kid in our class has a tablet pc. It's cool b/c he can just scribble notes on the ppt file (everything at Penn is powerpoint) and he doesn't print anything.

Oh, and I know that right now people are shopping for computers... but I also wanted to mention that another big purchase people should think about are buying a pair of loupes. They're basically like magnifying glasses attached to glasses. Don't worry about it until you get to dental school, but be prepared--- they cost about $800 or so.... but are worth it.

Sansom place isn't nice. The location is perfect, but the actual rooms leave a lot to be desired. Almost everyone I know that lives here is moving out. I'd recommend living around the dental school. There's a lot of housing within a few blocks.

To people who are curious-- Penn is intense... the academics are much more rigorous than I expected (ie. enjoy your free-time now). Now that we have started GRD though (lab-- for learning hand skills 'n such) class has gotten to be more fun. Anyone who likes playing with wax... raise your hand...

~Marcus
Nice. Thanks Mechis.

hey guys you can check you financial aid status through pennportal.
go to financial matters --> then under financial aid go to Current application status and awards --> then view fall 2006/spring 2007 award year.

Members don't see this ad :)
My place costs only $300 including all utilities. And it's on campus too. Hah, beat that! :cool:

cowsgomoo said:
hey guys you can check you financial aid status through pennportal.
go to financial matters --> then under financial aid go to Current application status and awards --> then view fall 2006/spring 2007 award year.

ahhh incomplete! they need my parent's stuff still...and my parents are out of the country on vacation for the next week...greaaaat. how bad is this? :confused:

PickMe said:
ahhh incomplete! they need my parent's stuff still...and my parents are out of the country on vacation for the next week...greaaaat. how bad is this? :confused:

Ahh damn that suxs!!! Does anyones say Staford loan note was sent or something?

cowsgomoo said:
Ahh damn that suxs!!! Does anyones say Staford loan note was sent or something?

nope..
mine says i was supposed to have received the health profession's loan on apr 20th...or something like that...but i don't have anything yet :eek:

r0entgen said:
nope..
mine says i was supposed to have received the health profession's loan on apr 20th...or something like that...but i don't have anything yet :eek:

Yeah i have that on mine too but was not sure if the staford loan notice show there too. does that mean we get those loans? how much can we get for the health professions loan? i didnt think i would get the HPL due to my parents income but i guess they are poor enough for the government.

ysk said:
My place costs only $300 including all utilities. And it's on campus too. Hah, beat that! :cool:

Are you living in a frat?

BigRedDentist said:

hahaha that would make for some interesting studying

BigRedDentist said:

Nah, it's not a frat. Yea, that would make for some interesting study times.. haha. it's an apartment.

ysk said:
Nah, it's not a frat. Yea, that would make for some interesting study times.. haha. it's an apartment.

are there crack ****** and pimps all around it cuz if there are, i'd love a place like that. would be just like home :love:

Audio said:
are there crack ****** and pimps all around it cuz if there are, i'd love a place like that. would be just like home :love:
:confused: Good grief...

Audio said:

Then traveling north of Market should quickly remedy any homesick pains you might experience in dental school.

ysk said:

For $300! Nice! Can I live there next year?

Sprgrover said:
Then traveling north of Market should quickly remedy any homesick pains you might experience in dental school.

That's good cuz lemme tell you, if I don't get shot once a year, I start missin momma :(

duh? said:
:confused: Good grief...

stop hatin duh? you know you lovvvvvvvvvvvvve me :smuggrin: i bet we'll be boys :thumbup:

BigRedDentist said:
For $300! Nice! Can I live there next year?

well, the reason i have it so cheap is because i live with 2 roommates that i've known since college (went to undergrad at penn). this may not be a viable option for you obviously if it's your first year at penn since you might be living with random people that might turn out to be crazy or something. :scared:

Audio said:
stop hatin duh? you know you lovvvvvvvvvvvvve me :smuggrin: i bet we'll be boys :thumbup:
:smuggrin: Right. :thumbup:

ysk said:
...random people that might turn out to be crazy or something. :scared:

Couldn't agree with you more

BigRedDentist said:
Couldn't agree with you more

yeah...exactly! So, anyone wanna live with me? :laugh:

guys, i'm sorry to say that I won't be coming to Penn with all you cool peeps next year. I just found out I got into my first choice....the University of Toronto. I have no clue how I did it but I did. Toughest dental school to gain admission to in maybe the world and my ghetto ass got in. $hit, must have been affirmative action :smuggrin:

but seriously, i feel like i'm missing out meeting all you people. it would have been fun. and Penn is really a great school. Good luck. maybe if i'm in the hood with will smith, i'll drop by and say hi. do you guys do grillz?

Audio said:
guys, i'm sorry to say that I won't be coming to Penn with all you cool peeps next year. I just found out I got into my first choice....the University of Toronto. I have no clue how I did it but I did. Toughest dental school to gain admission to in maybe the world and my ghetto ass got in. $hit, must have been affirmative action :smuggrin:

but seriously, i feel like i'm missing out meeting all you people. it would have been fun. and Penn is really a great school. Good luck. maybe if i'm in the hood with will smith, i'll drop by and say hi. do you guys do grillz?
Don’t leave us!!! (Crying uncontrollably.) :( :(

Audio said:

anyone else hear duh thanking her lucky stars?

Audio said:

Good luck in Toronto!

PickMe said:
anyone else hear duh thanking her lucky stars?
LOL :laugh: . Truth is, I'm happy he got in where he wanted. BUT I'm sad becos I...becos....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :( +pity+ +pity+
Who's going to want to play with me now? :scared: I spend all this time training him, and this is what I get? Audios are dogs! :mad:

cowsgomoo said:
Don’t leave us!!! (Crying uncontrollably.) :( :(
*Sniff* Wahhhhhhhh! :(

duh? said:
LOL :laugh: . Truth is, I'm happy he got in where he wanted. BUT I'm sad becos I...becos....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :( +pity+ +pity+
Who's going to want to play with me now? :scared: I spend all this time training him, and this is what I get? Audios are dogs! :mad:

lol sorry master but sometimes you just have to set your dogs free into the wild. :laugh:

stay up, keep it real, one love, and any other urban cliche you can think of :thumbup:

I have to say though, Penn is the best school I've been to in the US or Canada in terms of facilities, technology, etc. You guys are all really lucky. Only difference is now, my 4 years of education at UofT will cost the same as one year at Penn. Gotta make the right choice. Plus, UofT is a good school too.

To the person on the waitlist who gets my spot, you better be cool! :smuggrin:

take care guys. :(

did anyone apply for the national health service corps scholarship?

when are you all moving to philly?

UPJRM said:
did anyone apply for the national health service corps scholarship?

when are you all moving to philly?

didn't apply for nhsc, but will probably move to philly early August to get settled...

Any of you guys planning on staying at THE HUB ON CHESTNUT??
www.thehubonchestnut.com

It's still under construction but its supposed to be ready for this fall. I am loving the fact that it has washer and dryer in unit....and no mice!!!!
But I am kinda scared it not going to be ready.

Let me know if any of you guys are gonna be staying there.

kcbutternut said:
Any of you guys planning on staying at THE HUB ON CHESTNUT??
www.thehubonchestnut.com

It's still under construction but its supposed to be ready for this fall. I am loving the fact that it has washer and dryer in unit....and no mice!!!!
But I am kinda scared it not going to be ready.

Let me know if any of you guys are gonna be staying there.

i looked into that place a little bit too, but got too scared it wouldnt be ready. u just never know with construction, seems like things always gets delayed. but there's always the year after if its nice right ? :) definitely living in philly will take some time getting used to tho... im moving mid august too to settle in. hopefully can meet up with some of u before classes start :laugh:

lotus24 said:
i looked into that place a little bit too, but got too scared it wouldnt be ready. u just never know with construction, seems like things always gets delayed. but there's always the year after if its nice right ? :) definitely living in philly will take some time getting used to tho... im moving mid august too to settle in. hopefully can meet up with some of u before classes start :laugh:

I am probably going to be moving in mid August too. Hope I can adjust to the weather up there. :scared: :scared: