University of Pittsburgh BMP vs Chatham MABS Program vs Temple's ACHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TakeMyBreath

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I just got accepted into UPitt's BMP and Chatham's MABS program and would like advice on which one I should attend. I've seen Chatham offers graduate assistantship which will overall be cheaper than UPitt in theory but UPitt's program seems to offer better opportunities. I will wait until I get more financial information from UPitt to decide but do you think?
 
It's been 2 weeks lol w/no motion.

I decided to go with Pitt's program since the program is at a medical school, has more resources, seem more supportive, and better admin overall in the process.

W/Chatham I felt in the dark and had minimal contact w/admin. But the program seems solid, a bit more unknown compared to the other 2. They have a cadaver lab in their anatomy course which is a surprise (lots of programs don't offer that). The graduate assistantship was misleading since it is basically an on-campus job w/no tuition remission. My offer was $5k for the whole year (budget max) working in the lab/TA for a $15/hour payrate. There are rumors Chatham might go under w/a $10M budget hole so that is a concern.

Temple's interview day made me feel like they were better than me if that makes sense. I walked away from my 1-on-1 interview feeling like garbage (sugar honey iced tea) to be honest. They seem so stuck up which is weird. I know ppl who go there undergrad/med and loved it so that threw me off. The interview day had a student Q&A and it pretty much made it clear Temple themselves don't even take their own students or have some weird bias against them, so I thought that was suspicious. There was a student there who maintained a 4.0, retook an MCAT to get a score above Temple's "cut-off" and they didn't take her since she had a <509 score coming into the program...the girl linked to PCOM but it was clear she wanted to go to LKSOM (since she was complaining). It feels like a cash grab.

In the end Pitt's tuition was the same cost as Temple's and it felt like a no-brainer to at least secure a master's degree, get volunteer/clinical opportunities built into the program & get advising from ppl at a medical school etc. Also, Pittsburgh seems safer than Philly and is a smaller city. I hope this helps someone in the future who is deciding etc.