Program-Specific Info / Q's University of Pittsburgh Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alg5443

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was recently accepted to the Pitt MOT program and I was wondering if anyone has any input on the school, the location, or the curriculum.

There are a couple reasons why I am really considering Pitt. I have heard positive things from friends who went to Pitt for their undergrad and really enjoyed their time there. I like that it is a large campus since I completed my undergrad at PSU and always enjoyed the large campus feel. I also like that there are research opportunities and I have read about professors who are studying what I am interested in. UPMC opportunities would be great and the price of the program is pretty standard, $68,271 for in state students. Overall, I've heard good things and it has made Pitt a top choice for me. However, I don't know a lot about the actual OT program. I have read over the info on the website, but I unfortunately couldn't attend the open house because I was still completing my undergrad degree. Did anyone attend? What were your general feelings about the program?

Has anyone else been accepted this year that is planning to attend? What are your reasons for considering Pitt?

Also are there any current Pitt MOT students? Any input about the program, curriculum, or fieldwork would be so helpful and awesome to hear!

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I just saw this or I would have answered earlier. I have an acquaintance who is doing OT at Pitt and I asked her a bunch about it when I was considering it. (I was accepted but decided to go elsewhere.) Here are some snippets of the main points from what she wrote me:

- Pittsburgh is great, it has a lot more culture than I had imagined and is a fairly young and educated city since it has become a hub for Universities and medical centers
- The program is ranked pretty high and they do a great job of preparing you for the NBCOT
- However, the program is really easy. A couple classes have been challenging, like anatomy, but other than that it has mostly been theory based
- Although we are in class from 8-4, the workload is minimal for a graduate level program
- The professors are very well connected and pretty well known in the field, which is a plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I was also accepted to Pitt but have decided to attend another program. I've heard all the same things rcludo said above (I love the city of Pittsburg!) but wanted to add one thing on.

The reason I decided Pitt was not for me was that an OT who graduated from there was at one of my observation sites. She told me that she felt the program was more research based and did not provide enough hands-on opportunities. I've heard a couple other people say similar things. However, I don't know how well they can compare it to another program since they all attended Pitt. Just some additional info! It's definitely a great program regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this information, it was really helpful. :) It's tough to make this decision, so much to think about!

Thanks for this information, it was really helpful. :) It's tough to make this decision, so much to think about!

I am dying to get into Pitt's Occupational Therapy Program! It is very high ranked. If you attend the program, you have access to equipment that the medical students have access to. I go there for my undergrad and I love the school. What were your stats? I really want to be accepted, but I know it is very competitive. I will be applying this summer!

Hi rach528!
Here are my stats:
University: Penn State
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.74
Prereq GPA: 3.74 - 4.0 depending on the school
GRE: 154 V, 156 Q, 5.5 AWA
OTCAS verified: September 19th
OT Observation Hours: 24 hours in SNF, 68 hours in hand therapy, 16 in outpatient care
Extra-cirric: 80 hours creating programs to help children with autism, ODD, and ADHD develop friendships and positive social skills, Resident Assistant for 3 years, 500 hours volunteering for Penn State's THON, Occupational Therapy Club, Adopt-A-School, National Residence Hall Honorary, Be the Match member, Merchandise Chair, tutor for students with disabilities, resident assistant mentor, and a little research experience.

Some pointers I have for you is to keep in contact with the program. I reached out to them plenty of times whether it was the facebook chats they offered or through emails; I always kept them updated. I think that really helped because it showed my interest in the program and I gave them important info about new activities and my fall semester grades. They seemed to really appreciate my continuous interest in the program and they were always prompt and super nice.
Also, I think I was mainly accepted because I really fit their mission statement. Completely unknowingly, too. My advice to you is to thoroughly read through the mission statements of each school AND what the professors are interested in studying and then incorporate that into your OTCAS essay. I wish I would've done this more! Pitt was the first school I was accepted to and I truly believe it was because my goal in OT was to work with children who are battling chronic illnesses such as cancer because I've seen the effects it has on their health and their families firsthand through THON. And ironically ( I really didn't even know) a professor at Pitt that was just hired in September is interested in the exact same thing as me. I also mentioned my interest in research to advance the profession of OT, which is also included in Pitt's mission statement. So ultimately, if you are interested in their mission statement after reading through and find a professor that shares your interests, incorporate that in your essay, just don't name the school/professor because your OTCAS statement goes to all your schools! Here is Pittsburgh's mission statement: https://www.shrs.pitt.edu/OT/home.aspx?id=3715
Also, while facebook chatting with them one day I asked what they look for in an applicant and the answer I received included being academically strong in GPA and GRE and candidates who show analytical skills, leadership, initiative, maturity, emotional stability, concern for others, ability to handle sensitive situations, ect.

Sorry for this being so long, it's a natural tendency of mine after being an RA for three years haha, but I hope I provided useful information!
Would you mind sharing why Pitt is a top choice for you?! Do you love the area and feel safe? Do you know if the program is more research based rather than clinical based? I think it's cool that we would have access to med school equipment, do you know what kind of equipment specifically? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi rach528!
Here are my stats:
University: Penn State
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.74
Prereq GPA: 3.74 - 4.0 depending on the school
GRE: 154 V, 156 Q, 5.5 AWA
OTCAS verified: September 19th
OT Observation Hours: 24 hours in SNF, 68 hours in hand therapy, 16 in outpatient care
Extra-cirric: 80 hours creating programs to help children with autism, ODD, and ADHD develop friendships and positive social skills, Resident Assistant for 3 years, 500 hours volunteering for Penn State's THON, Occupational Therapy Club, Adopt-A-School, National Residence Hall Honorary, Be the Match member, Merchandise Chair, tutor for students with disabilities, resident assistant mentor, and a little research experience.

Some pointers I have for you is to keep in contact with the program. I reached out to them plenty of times whether it was the facebook chats they offered or through emails; I always kept them updated. I think that really helped because it showed my interest in the program and I gave them important info about new activities and my fall semester grades. They seemed to really appreciate my continuous interest in the program and they were always prompt and super nice.
Also, I think I was mainly accepted because I really fit their mission statement. Completely unknowingly, too. My advice to you is to thoroughly read through the mission statements of each school AND what the professors are interested in studying and then incorporate that into your OTCAS essay. I wish I would've done this more! Pitt was the first school I was accepted to and I truly believe it was because my goal in OT was to work with children who are battling chronic illnesses such as cancer because I've seen the effects it has on their health and their families firsthand through THON. And ironically ( I really didn't even know) a professor at Pitt that was just hired in September is interested in the exact same thing as me. I also mentioned my interest in research to advance the profession of OT, which is also included in Pitt's mission statement. So ultimately, if you are interested in their mission statement after reading through and find a professor that shares your interests, incorporate that in your essay, just don't name the school/professor because your OTCAS statement goes to all your schools! Here is Pittsburgh's mission statement: https://www.shrs.pitt.edu/OT/home.aspx?id=3715
Also, while facebook chatting with them one day I asked what they look for in an applicant and the answer I received included being academically strong in GPA and GRE and candidates who show analytical skills, leadership, initiative, maturity, emotional stability, concern for others, ability to handle sensitive situations, attendance, intellectual ability, and ability to accept constructive criticism through their essay and rec letters.

Sorry for this being so long, it's a natural tendency of mine after being an RA for three years haha, but I hope I provided useful information!
Would you mind sharing why Pitt is a top choice for you?! Do you love the area and feel safe? Do you know if the program is more research based rather than clinical based? I think it's cool that we would have access to med school equipment, do you know what kind of equipment specifically?!

No, THANK YOU for writing so much! All of that is very helpful information!! I just know how difficult Pitt is to get into. Their program is ranked #6 for best OT programs. I feel like if I got into Pitt specifically it would be a major accomplishment! I haven't heard what the program is based on. I went to an open house in November and they talked about the program. They said that because of their connections with UPMC and the medical school, they have access to more advanced equipment. For example, they have dummys that react like a real human. When you lift them up their blood pressure may drop and they might say that they feel dizzy. Things like that. I don't know if you applied to Chatham University or not, but I have heard that their program is clinical based. A physical therapist told me that at work she had a student from their PT program doing her rotations there, and she seemed to be more prepared and hands on vs a non Chatham student. They practice what to do and how to apply yourself in different situations. There are so many hospitals around Oakland so it would be perfect for when you are doing your rotations. Everything is right there! I don't know what other schools you have applied to or been accepted to, but I have heard nothing but good things about Pitt. The staff members that I met were very nice and so down to earth!

I am going to email them tonight and ask about the research/clinical portion of their program and I'll be sure to let you know. And yes! I heard about the dummys they have and it is supposed to prepare you to think on your feet quickly. Sounds really awesome! I also love that they have connections with UPMC! I actually didn't apply to Chatham but I wish I would've because I've been hearing wonderful things about their program! I have been accepted to Pitt and Temple so far and I am trying to make my decision between the two now. Lots to think about. Thank you for all this info! It was really helpful. I have heard only wonderful things about Pitt, too. If you have any more questions, just let me know and I'll keep you updated when I find out new things as well. :)

I am going to email them tonight and ask about the research/clinical portion of their program and I'll be sure to let you know. And yes! I heard about the dummys they have and it is supposed to prepare you to think on your feet quickly. Sounds really awesome! I also love that they have connections with UPMC! I actually didn't apply to Chatham but I wish I would've because I've been hearing wonderful things about their program! I have been accepted to Pitt and Temple so far and I am trying to make my decision between the two now. Lots to think about. Thank you for all this info! It was really helpful. I have heard only wonderful things about Pitt, too. If you have any more questions, just let me know and I'll keep you updated when I find out new things as well. :)
Thank you so much for your help! I'm sure I will be asking more questions soon haha. Good luck in making your decision! :)

I am currently applying to OT programs for the 2016 cycle and I am considering the University of Pittsburgh. If anyone has completed/currently attending the program would you please provide any information, it would be greatly appreciated!

I am currently applying to OT programs for the 2016 cycle and I am considering the University of Pittsburgh. If anyone has completed/currently attending the program would you please provide any information, it would be greatly appreciated!
I go there for undergrad now, but just a heads up it is very competitive. Not to discourage you, but from what I have heard from students who have applied the past couple years. Apparently they do a first round cut of just scores, and they do not do interviews, so just keep that in mind!

So, I finally sent my acceptance for UPitt and will be starting June of 2016! Wooo!
Anybody um looking for a roommate starting May or June of 2016? *cough*

So, I finally sent my acceptance for UPitt and will be starting June of 2016! Wooo!
Anybody um looking for a roommate starting May or June of 2016? *cough*
Hi! I'm also going to Pitt and looking for housing! Do you know if there are any facebook groups for our class yet? I feel like that could be one of the best options for finding people to live with.

Hi! I'm also going to Pitt and looking for housing! Do you know if there are any facebook groups for our class yet? I feel like that could be one of the best options for finding people to live with.

"They" haven't made the group yet. (I say "they" because I don't know who "they" is.) But I'd like to be friends on facebook! Send me a private message!

Hey yinz (Pittsburgh jargon), I just took the liberty of creating a closed FB group under the name of "PITT MOT class of 2018" Feel free to look it up/look me up and I'll add you.

Hey yinz (Pittsburgh jargon), I just took the liberty of creating a closed FB group under the name of "PITT MOT class of 2018" Feel free to look it up/look me up and I'll add you.
Scratch that! I ran it by them and there is indeed a "them". The class of 2017 has created a page and we will be invited next week most likely. In the meantime feel free to look me up on facebook anyway :)

I'm not sure if any of y'all are still active on this site but I was recently accepted into Pitt's OT program and am not familiar with the Pittsburgh area. I'm hoping to visit Pittsburgh this week and am wanting information on different apartment complexes graduate students live in so I can check them out. Also any other helpful information about Pittsburgh or Pitt's OT program would be great! Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure if any of y'all are still active on this site but I was recently accepted into Pitt's OT program and am not familiar with the Pittsburgh area. I'm hoping to visit Pittsburgh this week and am wanting information on different apartment complexes graduate students live in so I can check them out. Also any other helpful information about Pittsburgh or Pitt's OT program would be great! Thank you in advance!

Hey! I actually graduated from Pitt in May and am most likely heading back for OT this summer! I can try to help you with ideas of where to look. Most undergraduates live in south oakland and some live in north oakland. A lot of graduate students live in southside or shady side. Shady side is nicer and quieter (though closer to walnut street may be slightly louder). Southside is cheaper and much louder (it's near all of the city bars). The OT building is right in South oakland. So you just have to decide what matters more price, proximity to class (walking versus bus ride---undergrads get free city buses so I think grads do too), noise level, and who nice the apartment is.