~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anybody interested in living in the Darragh Street apartments for June and July? I'm trying to find someone to sublet my place to. PM me if you're interested

By the way, congrats and welcome to Pittmed. I look forward to meeting you all.

Members don't see this ad.

The only problem I would see what that plan is if you would have problems with the loan people continuing to see that you are in deferment and they would make you pay a set amount in monthly payments. Since I didn't try to pay any of my loans at all now, I don't know how that would work, so if I were you I'd try to contact the loan company and see what their policy is about paying periodically while still in deferment without having any early prepayment charges or forced monthly payments. If that's not a problem, you could make a big payment when you get the subsidized loans and forgo interest on whatever amount you paid, but you don't want to get into a forced monthly payment if you end up needing the money for some reason.

Numbers I saw from our budget
Rent/Utilities: 850/month
Food: 350/month
Transportation: 110/month
Personal Expenses: 140/month

They assume that you are on a 10 month term so multiply all those by 10 to get the number of those expenses for the year. You can look at apartments on craigslist to get an idea of cost for rent. Comcast internet and *real* cable is ~100/month and electric is ~30/month if you average it over the year (at least for me). They are assuming sharing a 2br for that so if you live alone, your rent/utilities will be higher. The food budget is high (do you really spend >$80 a week at the grocery store to feed one person?). The bus is included in fees so your transportation cost will pretty much just be car insurance and a tank of gas a month unless you live further away from school than the major areas and need to drive and park. If you'll still have your parents' health insurance, you can take out ~2700 from the yearly budget since you won't purchase the health insurance here.

I think that's the big things with the budget that can be adjusted from the amount that you have been given as the big bill. The biggest adjustment will be once you get an apartment and figure out the rent, but you can always get an idea online if you need that.

Thanks for the rent/food/transportation breakdown - yeah I imagine if we don't have a car that $110/month becomes almost zero, and food is definitely high too unless you eat out often. Do books and supplies really cost $2000 for the first year?

I did email the financial aid office for the total breakdown and the figures they sent me were the ones available online for the 2007-2008 year (and it said that in the email too). The sum adds up to the number they gave us in our package. Why are they giving us finaid packages based on last year's COA?

Hey snopearl,

Would you mind posting that information they sent you? I never seem to get responses to my e-mails to them. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
PA Resident Non-Resident
Tuition*
$35,340 $39,206
Fees*
$650 $650
Health Ins*
$2,766 $2,766
Books & Supplies
$2,000 $2,000
Rent/Food/Personal/
Transportation
$14,500 $14,500
Loan Origination Fees
$1,709 $1,709
Total Estimated Cost
$56,965 $60,831

* Tuition, fees, and health insurance figures listed above are based on the 2007-2008 costs. Actual charges for the 2008-2009 are unavailable at this time.

hey guys,

i know this is for accepted students, but maybe yall know how the waitlist works? i couldn't find anything online and everytime i call the admissions office, the lady is awfully rude. does anyone know on average how many students are accepted from it?

Is there anyone else out there that turned in their FAFSA in February and their supplemental need-based application by mid-March that hasn't gotten any word yet on financial aid?

Thanks for the rent/food/transportation breakdown - yeah I imagine if we don't have a car that $110/month becomes almost zero, and food is definitely high too unless you eat out often. Do books and supplies really cost $2000 for the first year?

I did email the financial aid office for the total breakdown and the figures they sent me were the ones available online for the 2007-2008 year (and it said that in the email too). The sum adds up to the number they gave us in our package. Why are they giving us finaid packages based on last year's COA?

How did they send you your package? Snail mail or email?

Sooo..is anyone looking for a roomate? :)

And Genesis, it was fun meeting you :) See you next year.

Is there anyone else out there that turned in their FAFSA in February and their supplemental need-based application by mid-March that hasn't gotten any word yet on financial aid?
'

This doesn't answer your question at all, but I remember Pitt did not have a supplemental application :)

he/she might be referring to need access

Hey folks, just an update from the finaid office regarding the use of the 07-08 COA for our packages:

"For the upcoming year, when the tuition rate goes up or the budget changes, your COA will be increased to make it sufficient. The tuition rate is not given out by the University until July."

I haven't got mine yet either and I turned in about the same time you did. They said aid comes about by May 1st, so I guess we just have to wait patiently. Booo

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today and she said that the finaid office had just sent out another batch. So it should be on the way soon.

So I sent the FAFSA in January, the other electronic form in February, and all the tax forms in mid-March. I, too, have received no word on my aid package. I figured I should just wait for now since it won't do any good to contact Pitt asking, "Where's my letter?"

I called this morning as well. They said that they sent out the first round last week and a "big stack" yesterday. Sorry I didn't ask if that big stack was the rest or if there is still more to come. Hopefully I have better luck getting poor people money than I did getting smart people money.

Sooo..is anyone looking for a roomate? :)

Actually, I'm hunting for a roommate. I know that Pitt has a roommate listing with the Off Campus Living, but does anyone know if there's a list for med students specifically?

Anyone get some e-mail on April 16th that they had to reply to before they could get their financial aid. I called and they said supposedly they sent it to me but I never got anything like that. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

I got it, but I think it was just a generic e-mail that was sent out.

I didn't get the email from the 16th either.

It was just basically saying to make sure you got all of your financial aid forms in ASAP. I don't know why I got this as I was already complete wiht their financial aid office, I just assumed it was a generic message sent to all accepted students.

It was just basically saying to make sure you got all of your financial aid forms in ASAP. I don't know why I got this as I was already complete wiht their financial aid office, I just assumed it was a generic message sent to all accepted students.

Thanks...Hopefully the lady who sent it calls me back on Monday to let me know whats up. I know I already sent in all of my stuff back in march.

I got my aid package today. Has anyone ever heard how consistent your need-based funding is from year to year?

Who's planning to live alone vs. having a roommate? I'd like to share an apartment to save some cash. Does anyone know anything about the school's match service?

Does anyone know for sure that the Darragh Street Apartments will be completely filled for next year?

Does anyone know when we officially matriculate (aka, orientation). Thanks!

Does anyone know when we officially matriculate (aka, orientation). Thanks!

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the white coat ceremony is Aug 10th. I don't know if that marks the start of orientation or not. Anyone else?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the white coat ceremony is Aug 10th. I don't know if that marks the start of orientation or not. Anyone else?

White coat ceremony is on a Sunday then you have orientation the whole week. The next week is "fake class" then the week after that you start anatomy.

They ease you in a little before anatomy.

White coat ceremony is on a Sunday then you have orientation the whole week. The next week is "fake class" then the week after that you start anatomy.

They ease you in a little before anatomy.

can't wait til white coat ceremony..yay!

for those at Pitt Med, how's public transportation up there? Is the lack of a subway system a problem? And is owning a car pretty much the norm? and are you ever forced to travel 1hr+ for any clinical sites?

thanks

For current medical students:

Do you know if it is possible to establish PA residency after first year? I know the difference is marginal compared to COA, but I happen to like saving 6K if it's possible.

Thanks for the help.

another question for current med students:

i was wondering which bus lines go to the medical school and the hospitals and when they run? I am trying to pick out a tentative location for apartment hunting. Thanks!

another question for current med students:

i was wondering which bus lines go to the medical school and the hospitals and when they run? I am trying to pick out a tentative location for apartment hunting. Thanks!
http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/tabid/171/Default.aspx

that's the bus line website. if you're looking into shadyside, squirrel hill, or oakland for an apartment, you will be covered as far as buses go. in my opinion, though, the bus system is really good. they have buses to almost anywhere, although some places are harder to get to than others. many people rely on the bus system to get to and from school or work, so it works out well.

For current medical students:

Do you know if it is possible to establish PA residency after first year? I know the difference is marginal compared to COA, but I happen to like saving 6K if it's possible.

Thanks for the help.

You can establish it if you have a spouse that works full time in the state of PA. Otherwise you would have to move here and work for a year before you start school to get instate tuition.

I've made it through 4 years of undergrad with no car....the public transportation is pretty good, for the most part.

I'd recommend using Google Transit to determine how public transport would work for living various areas....it'll def. help in deciding where to live if you plan to commute.

Even if you have a car, parking in Oakland is NOT fun and you probably don't want to have to try and park every morning before class.....parking garages are expensive and street parking is very unreliable during the school year. With free public transport with an ID, it is definitely the best option.

Hey guys.

Does anyone know how much the deposit is? Do we need to get it in by May 15?

I believe it is 100 dollars and we need to get it in between the 16th and the 23rd. Not ENTIRELY positive though.

I believe it is 100 dollars and we need to get it in between the 16th and the 23rd. Not ENTIRELY positive though.
That sounds about right. It is $100, or at least it was last year, and for some reason they want it to get there within a very specific time interval.

how's the pittsburgh area? from some online research I did, apparently you don't want to be in the downtown or hilldistrict past sundown? is crime really that big of a problem in pittsburgh....

I heard that it is only in very isolated pockets of the city. ::shrug::

May 15th is coming up (and it feels darn good to finally have made a decisions!)

how's the pittsburgh area? from some online research I did, apparently you don't want to be in the downtown or hilldistrict past sundown? is crime really that big of a problem in pittsburgh....

It's supposed to be the #2 safest city in the country (at least that's what I was told when I moved here). As in every city, there are areas that you just don't go to, but those aren't areas near the places that you live. I walk around Shadyside alone at night (I'm female) and feel safe.

I was in Pittsburgh looking for apartments last weekend, so I'll give my impressions although I was only there for a week.

Buses in Shadyside run down Centre, Ellsworth, and 5th Avenues. The Centre and Ellsworth buses eventually run onto 5th Ave and stop outside the medical school as well. See map:
http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/portals/0/OaklandSrv.gif

I walked the whole area and the only part on the bus lines I might try to avoid living is on Centre Ave west of Aiken Ave. An additional tip is to use the street view function on Google Maps. That way you can see what the surrounding area looks like.

In general the apartment complexes are bigger the farther north you go towards Centre, smaller as you go south towards 5th Ave.

Many of the buildings do not have off-street parking. It looked like most of the on-street spots were taken when I walked through, so if possible I would probably recommend trying to get off-street parking if you're bringing a car.

Steiner Realty has some nice apartments on 5th Avenue. No one bedrooms, only 2BR (Treehaven) and 1BR+den (Normandy).
http://steiner-realty.com/home.html

Although I didn't view any of these apartments, this site shows 1BR apartments in a building on Ellsworth Ave. You can actually see photos and floor plans of most of the apartments to get an idea of what you can get for your money.
http://mozartrents.com/ApartmentBuildingDisplay.cfm?ApartmentBuildingID=11

One thing to be aware of is that most of the management companies require only a 30 or 60 day notice by tenants. Therefore, most of the openings won't be known until June/July 1st.

Hi guys,

I hope you all do well, and have a great time during your 4 years at PITT MED. I will be will not be attending PITT, as I feel that UCONN is a better fit for my personality.

To those of you on the waitlist, I am sorry for taking so long to decide and I hope you hear some good news soon.

-Good Luck

I think I'm going to pick pittsburgh, although knowing that the D. street apartments are unavailable is downer..........

In terms of bad areas, I know Braddoc and Homewood are deadly, but what other ones are out there? Hill district? Mt. Oliver? the entire southside?

and regards to pittsburgh being 2nd safest, I'don't know...it has 200,000 less people than boston, but the almost the same amount of murder and property crimes.

since I wasn't able to make it to 2nd look, I was wondering what the typical class schedule for a M1 is at Pitt?

Where is everyone planning on living? I'm looking mostly at Shadyside. Does anyone feel like it might be easy to become isolated from your class since a central location for housing isn't accessible for the first years?

As someone else mentioned, Bloomfield is a great middle-class neighborhood that's convenient to Pitt. Greenfield is similar and very close to Squirrel Hill and Oakland. Highland Park and Point Breeze are lovely, but feel more like suburbs - bigger yards, no real retail corridor in the neighborhood. Lawrenceville is rapidly gentrifying, with decent prices still and lots of interesting restaurants and shops. They're all good areas to look at if you're thinking of buying or renting.

The South Side is young and (for Pittsburgh) trendy, with lots of restaurants and bars along Carson St and in the new South Side Works development. It's a little less convenient to get to/from Pitt by public transportation, though.

The Hill District is very close to school (right behind Darragh, really), and very slowly gentrifying, but I don't think I'd feel safe walking alone at night for example.

Does anyone know for sure that the Darragh Street Apartments will be completely filled for next year?

i was wondering the same thing...and if there are some spots avaibable is there somewhere we can apply for them.

well I'll be withdrawing from NorthWestern, Tufts, and U mich....put some movement on those waitlists. Still not thrilled about pittsburgh being the 2nd worst singles city in the US:mad: