~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you !!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I'll be attending Pittsburgh and am currently looking for housing/roommates. I stay up late but I am laid back and quiet. If you are interested, let me know at [email protected]. I also posted this on the facebook group, and will be checking out the zone website as well. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Did anyone take a look at the Immunizations sheet? Any idea on what they mean by "documentation" of immunizations? I would think that the dates listed on their sheet would be all that was needed, though apparently not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone take a look at the Immunizations sheet? Any idea on what they mean by "documentation" of immunizations? I would think that the dates listed on their sheet would be all that was needed, though apparently not.

I got a sheet from the health department that said what they gave me that day that I took to them. You should have a card that you (or more likely your parents or doctor or local health department or your undergrad - they request these before you start there too) have kept that have the dates of all your immunizations on it. Make copies of that for them.

If you can't track that down, I'd call and see what to do about it, but I'd make sure that you have one started from now on and keep it in a safe place so that you have a continuous record. I had to get mine from my undergrad until my mom found her copy of it.

d

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just got into Pitt off the waitlist...if anyone is still looking for a roommate send me a message! I live in Pittsburgh so anytime people are looking I would be around haha.​

Do any current students have any advice on how to get hooked into some research at UPMC (especially paid summer projects)? I'm interested in academic medicine, and may want to apply to the MSTP program eventually. Please PM me if so :) thanks a bunch!

Do any current students have any advice on how to get hooked into some research at UPMC (especially paid summer projects)? I'm interested in academic medicine, and may want to apply to the MSTP program eventually. Please PM me if so :) thanks a bunch!

There's lots of support for summer funding and the school is really good about telling you the opportunities. I wouldn't worry about finding research at all since they will give you a fair sometime at the beginning of the year that is just dedicated to research in the different fields here.

Howdy all. I am an incoming MS-1 at Pitt Med and was hoping that some of your current students could give some advice.

I have lived in a rural area for the past few years and consequently, needed a car to really go anywhere. I was wondering if you guys could list some of the books you found absolutely essential (or at least somewhat useful)

Lasty, the financial aid office has informed the incoming MS-1 students that they cannot recommend any lenders for our Stafford loans due to University of Policy.

I had the exact opposite experience - I lived in a very urban environment, where having a car would have been a nuisance and a huge expense, for six years before coming to Pitt. I lived in Darragh for the first year and found that I would have benefited from having a car probably at least once a week. The buses are fairly regular (Wait anywhere from 0 seconds to 30 minutes) and can get you from point A to B for basic grocery shopping if you don't mind lugging a bunch of groceries up a big hill, especially in the winter. However, it's still nice to have another form of transportation to get beyond the Downtown-Shadyside-Squirrel Hill-Oakland triangle, especially after hours. Taxis are notoriously hard to find. There is a service called ZipCar where you can rent a car by the hour, but it's sometimes hard to get a car when you need it. In terms of getting to the hospitals you'll need, most are right around Darragh (i.e. within a block) and you can let the university know that you don't have a car so they'll avoid sending you places that require one to get to easily for things like clinical experiences and advanced physical exam. From a financial standpt, I'm avoiding getting a car, but I still stand wistfully at times while waiting for a bus wishing I had one!

You definitely don't need all of the books they list on the book list. There's a great thing called the SARC manual that you'll have access to which gives information from current students about how to study for different classes, how many people used which book, et cetera. Everyone's different though. I found Netter's and Rohen to be the best for anatomy, the Lippincott book for biochem, and micro made ridiculously simple especially helpful to have. Wheater's for histology was also good and I liked having the immunology book since I didn't have any immuno background and lost focus a lot in lecture. For neuro, the Haines atlas is helpful since they center a LOT on brainstem anatomy. Other than these and maybe a Grant's Dissector split between your lab group, I'm not sure what else you'll need in terms of books. There's a bookroom in Scaife where you can check out used copies of some books, so you may want to wait until you get here to purchase stuff. There's also a book sale at the beginning of the year with used books that are heavily discounted.

Um, in terms of financial aid, I'm sure there are lots of great (and not so great) lenders out there. I have used AES for both college and medical school and found that they've always been helpful and responsive to my needs.

Don't worry! Things will come into place as you get closer. Enjoy your last five weeks of summer since life will never quite be the same once you start med school. :D

Woot, first post in this thread!! Ok, just got back from a longish stint out of the country and just started looking for roommate/apt. Looking to get into Shadyside, but flexible. Everything but smoking and cats is a go for me, also like to keep a clean place. PM me if interested in linking up to get an apt, thanks! -David

I have a car and have found it very helpful. If you want to get away for the weekend...any weekend...you pretty much need to have access to a car. While a lot of the hospitals are close, you will have rotations at Children's (it's moving further away), Shadyside (along bus routes), and possibly St. Margaret's which are not within walking distance of the Darragh apartments. As for books, I also recommend waiting for the SARC manual. It will give you a good idea of what you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any incoming MS-1 students having any issues with their financial aid (grants and loans) showing up in their "My Pitt" account (Hopefully it isn't just me)? Thanks.

how do you acess the my pitt account? can't set one up myself

checked it today, it just has -100 for the deposit, does not have expected aid on the account.

So, I was just accepted off of Pitt's waitlist and I'm pretty pumped... Unfortunately that means I have about a week to look for housing. Anyone looking for a roommate/have info on decent rental places? I've checked Lobos and Colebrook but they seem pretty sparse :(

From the invite, it seems the White Coat Ceremony is optional. Is not attending the aug 10 - 17 activities a big deal or is it fairly common?

thanks.

Last edited:
From the invite, it seems the White Coat Ceremony is optional. Is not attending the aug 10 - 17 activities a big deal or is it fairly common?

thanks.

Even if it seems like the White Coat Ceremony is optional, it would be really weird if you didn't attend. It's your first chance to meet your classmates and they also took our pictures for the student directory that day (so it was important for us to be there).

Orientation week, though long and somewhat tiring, is pretty important. You do cover a lot of information that is useful and once again, it's a chance to get to know your classmates before you all get stressed out. We did our CPR training and got fitted for masks that week, too. While you may find that you can skip some of the events, most of the scheduled sessions are very useful. You get a lot of information about the resources that are available to you and it's a nice way to get an introduction to what you're in for in the next few years.

So yeah...I think it'd be in your best interest to go. If you don't, you may feel behind compared to your classmates--they'll know a lot more about Pitt and medical school than you will. Starting medical school feeling lost is NOT a good idea.

Hi guys, I was hoping for a bit of info: I understand that Pitt asks for official transcripts before matriculation, correct? Would you have to submit only the transcript from your primary institution, or do they also want transcripts from all places in which you attempted coursework (ie like a community college where you took courses in high school)?

THanks!

Hi guys, I was hoping for a bit of info: I understand that Pitt asks for official transcripts before matriculation, correct? Would you have to submit only the transcript from your primary institution, or do they also want transcripts from all places in which you attempted coursework (ie like a community college where you took courses in high school)?

THanks!

I think I remember being asked to submit a transcript before starting classes so that they can verify you passed all of the requirements and you actually graduated. So it would only be of your most recent school.

Calling them would probably be your best bet though.