University of Queensland Ochsner Clinic Program recognized by all 50 States?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know they sent out an email saying that the average stats for the accepted class form last year were 29 and 3.4. I just got accepted as well and plan to attend.

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine got a response from mededpath today stating that as of now 29 acceptances have been emailed and around 90 applications were under review in Australia currently. If anyone on this thread has received an acceptance, could you give us your stats and when your application was sent to Brisbane for assessment?
Thanks,
from all of us still waiting...
As I'm still new to the forum, I'd rather not post my stats. But I received a letter of acceptance on Wednesday, and I'm really excited for the program. Like some of the other posters on this thread, I'm also very interested to see where the first cohort will match.

A friend of mine got a response from mededpath today stating that as of now 29 acceptances have been emailed and around 90 applications were under review in Australia currently. If anyone on this thread has received an acceptance, could you give us your stats and when your application was sent to Brisbane for assessment?
Thanks,
from all of us still waiting...

I have heard from a friend of his acceptance. I don't know all his stats but I know the MCAT was in the 31ish range.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the new guys! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. The Ochsner Medical Student Association (a student advocacy group officially recognized by both UQ and OCS) will have their website up and running sometime in the next 4-6 weeks. The intent is to be a useful resource for folks like yourselves. When it is up and running I will post the address here.

In the meantime I may start up a closed facebook group for those accepted. Last year it turned out to be a very successful source of information and has turned from a group for the "accepted" to the "Class of 2015" group. Thoughts?

Welcome to the new guys! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. The Ochsner Medical Student Association (a student advocacy group officially recognized by both UQ and OCS) will have their website up and running sometime in the next 4-6 weeks. The intent is to be a useful resource for folks like yourselves. When it is up and running I will post the address here.

In the meantime I may start up a closed facebook group for those accepted. Last year it turned out to be a very successful source of information and has turned from a group for the "accepted" to the "Class of 2015" group. Thoughts?

I personally like the idea of a Facebook group. I received my letter of acceptance this past week and there's a 90% chance I'll be attending as well. Congrats to the others who got acceptances, and good luck to those still waiting.

I personally like the idea of a Facebook group. I received my letter of acceptance this past week and there's a 90% chance I'll be attending as well. Congrats to the others who got acceptances, and good luck to those still waiting.

Rock Charles, I'm glad things worked out on your end. Look forward to meeting you in January. We'll have plenty to discuss regarding the USMLE at that point.

Hey everyone! I was accepted here as well and I have a question for current students:
Do the students need to find their own housing (that is, no dorms available. I don't really like this idea but it would be cheaper.). Since I won't be arriving until early January/ late December (probably like most others?) is it possible to get settled by that time, find roommates, etc?
Thanks for your help!

Hey everyone! I was accepted here as well and I have a question for current students:
Do the students need to find their own housing (that is, no dorms available. I don't really like this idea but it would be cheaper.). Since I won't be arriving until early January/ late December (probably like most others?) is it possible to get settled by that time, find roommates, etc?
Thanks for your help!

Dorms ARE possible... but believe me you do NOT want to be doing that. Only a very few did it and only one lasted as long as a year. (At least as far as I know). But it really it pretty bad. Your options are very old shared housing with undergrads in essentially a frat community. Some are better than others, but that's about your average.

It is possible to get settled in that time frame. You can go to the FB group (linked in the thread above) and meet up with others in your same situation and work out roommates in advance. Many have done that with good outcomes.

It is reasonably easy to find a furnished place in Brisbane. And share housing is pretty reasonable in cost as well.

Find a list of places online (gumtree.com.au is like their craigslist) and google Brisbane real estate agencies and look at their listings. Have some place in mind right before you leave and try and see as many as you can right off the bat. Your feet will hurt. Bring comfortable walking shoes and shorts, sunglasses and a hat would also be a very good idea. Don't get a place before you actually see it. That often turns out poorly.

Rent is per WEEK not per MONTH, so don't forget that when looking at prices. Expect to pay at least $120AUD per WEEK and that is if you get a good deal on a BIG share house (like 5 people). Typically around $200pw will get you a decent place. I paid $300pw for a studio in the CBD my first year and then $400pw for a 1 bedroom in New Farm 2nd year. Both were fully furnished. New Farm is a WAAAAAY better place to live though, IMHO.

All cost of living is very, very high out there. EVERYTHING costs more, no matter what it is (with rare exceptions). But it is a very nice place to live and traveling around is amazing and absolutely worth it. I didn't travel as much as some of my friends (but I also did not stress out as much and did quite well on my Step 1) but I did see a LOT.

Hope that helps.

Dorms ARE possible... but believe me you do NOT want to be doing that. Only a very few did it and only one lasted as long as a year. (At least as far as I know). But it really it pretty bad. Your options are very old shared housing with undergrads in essentially a frat community. Some are better than others, but that's about your average.

It is possible to get settled in that time frame. You can go to the FB group (linked in the thread above) and meet up with others in your same situation and work out roommates in advance. Many have done that with good outcomes.

It is reasonably easy to find a furnished place in Brisbane. And share housing is pretty reasonable in cost as well.

Find a list of places online (gumtree.com.au is like their craigslist) and google Brisbane real estate agencies and look at their listings. Have some place in mind right before you leave and try and see as many as you can right off the bat. Your feet will hurt. Bring comfortable walking shoes and shorts, sunglasses and a hat would also be a very good idea. Don't get a place before you actually see it. That often turns out poorly.

Rent is per WEEK not per MONTH, so don't forget that when looking at prices. Expect to pay at least $120AUD per WEEK and that is if you get a good deal on a BIG share house (like 5 people). Typically around $200pw will get you a decent place. I paid $300pw for a studio in the CBD my first year and then $400pw for a 1 bedroom in New Farm 2nd year. Both were fully furnished. New Farm is a WAAAAAY better place to live though, IMHO.

All cost of living is very, very high out there. EVERYTHING costs more, no matter what it is (with rare exceptions). But it is a very nice place to live and traveling around is amazing and absolutely worth it. I didn't travel as much as some of my friends (but I also did not stress out as much and did quite well on my Step 1) but I did see a LOT.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Yes, it does. That sounds expensive,did you pay that with loans or did you work? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to pay for everything/how much debt I'll be in :p

Loans. Loans. Loans. And a credit card. And a little help from my family.

Unless you have a pile of money to start with and/or you are willing to live a very ascetic lifestyle you will be very much in debt at the end of this. That's pretty par for the course though.

Some people do work but most don't. It is tough to do a job during med and it is also tough(er) to get a job as a non-Aussie. Most who actually wanted a job eventually got one, but it is tougher. Also, your job will probably just cover utilities and some fun money so I wouldn't count on it really helping to offset your loans very much. Min wage is pretty good out there, so you can reasonably expect to make $20/hr at least. You just won't have a huge amount of time to make a lot of money doing it is all.

Thanks! Yes, it does. That sounds expensive,did you pay that with loans or did you work? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to pay for everything/how much debt I'll be in :p

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I am still waiting to hear back from the program... I applied really late in the process so I won't get my decision until probably mid to late August.

I did get accepted to a Carribean school (Ross University) for the Fall 2012 semester and I would be expected to move to the island in late August to start the Fall semester in early September. However, I am seriously having second thoughts about this. I will be moving with my family, I am married with two children ( a 6 year old and a 4 year old). While I am waiting to hear back from UQ-Ochsner program, I want to make sure I make a well-informed decision on where to go, if in fact I do get accepted.

Pros & cons of attending Ross University vs UQ-Ochsner program? Can anyone help me out with this and give me good advice? thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

Since it's my first post on this forum and all (tries to make things less awkward), I am seriously considering UQ-Ochsner as one of my top choices. It's mainly because I am from New Orleans myself, and Ochsner is really a great hospital network down here.

Earlier, I saw that someone posted that there are some talks about making this program award an MD in 2015. I plan to apply next year 2013 (am currently in the summer between sophomore and junior year in college), so I was wondering whether I would get an MD or MBBS if I were accepted for 2014? Thanks in advance!

I applied at the end of June & got acceptance email today! But from what I understand, you'll get an MBBS even if you're applying for 2014

Hi!

Since it's my first post on this forum and all (tries to make things less awkward), I am seriously considering UQ-Ochsner as one of my top choices. It's mainly because I am from New Orleans myself, and Ochsner is really a great hospital network down here.

Earlier, I saw that someone posted that there are some talks about making this program award an MD in 2015. I plan to apply next year 2013 (am currently in the summer between sophomore and junior year in college), so I was wondering whether I would get an MD or MBBS if I were accepted for 2014? Thanks in advance!

For what its worth an MBBS is the same as an MD. The 'MD' change is just a marketing tool that is going to be employed to attract more people from the US & Canada.

In the US you'll use "MD" after your name because that is what the population understands.

A graduate of a Norwegian medical school is awarded a "Candidate of Medicine" degree. In the US a doctor wouldn't be John Smith, cand.med, he would be John Smith, MD. Its best to think of the MBBS in the same way. The curriculum is equivalent, they just name the degree something different in Australia.

The same goes for a US MD graduate who moves to the UK. The Doctor would go by John Smith, MB BCh (or MBBS) because in the UK a MD is a research degree (similar to the PhD, in the MD/PhD degree).

Although, "Dr Smith" is what is most commonly used in most English speaking countries, even Australia. It's only in the US that there is a "different type of medical degree" because there are MD & DO degrees.

Last edited:
Ohh ok, thanks that clears up that bit for me. So, if I graduate from this program, the actual degree will say MBBS then, but it is recognized as an MD in the states. Thanks!

Anyone know how many spots were open/are left? I also applied recently and my mcat didnt get sent over til the beginning of July. They said its awaiting review in brisbane, but I'm curious what the average wait time was. I'm getting the feeling I won't get in because it's full...

Hey just wondering if anyone currently at the school could give me some advice on where to get myself cpr certified, did you wait til you moved over there or did you get it done in the US. Thanks!

Along the same lines as Otte7, does any one know if being a nationally certified EMT counts toward CPR certification?

Hello all.

Been on vacation after finishing up my last rotation so I haven't checked this in a while. Let me try and bang out a few answers for you (which, BTW, you can also ask over at the FB group created for this which is linked up thread somewhere)

For Anya:

I would say that this program is likely a better option. The reasons being that UQ and OCS both have an already established reputation as high quality institutions and the novelty of the program (in my experience and that of others) leads to interested questions rather than being pigeon holed into a stereotype.

That said, you have two small children and I recently discovered that in Aus they will require you to pay about $9k per year (EACH so $18k total) to send them to school there, which significantly adds to your costs. There is no opportunity for a waiver or discount. I am unsure as to whether you can get a higher student loan to cover this.

@keibel:

JohnSnow is exactly right in his answer. When practicing in the US your name tag and coat will say "MD" but your diploma on the wall of your office will say "MBBS." Toe-may-toe, tah-mah-toe as it were

@retiltxet:

Not sure. Offhand through my role in the student representation I can say that roughly 40ish have been officially accepted, but that there more in the pipeline. This is a very rough estimate and could be quite wrong, but should be a reasonable ball park. There are 120 spots total. I think that applying before August/September still leaves you quite a decent chance of acceptance. I would consider "late" to be an October or later application. Once again, just my opinion.

@otte &binturong:

Up to you really. It is easier, IIRC, to get the cert in the US. But you need it for 2 years in Aus so it would be better to time it towards December so you don't have to renew in Aus. That makes it a bit tougher - I had to start in US and finish in Aus. It is easy enough to do it in Aus once you get there. They won't kick you out if you haven't managed to get it done by day 1, though it is certainly expected you do your best to make it happen.

As I recall, I needed a valid CPR cert to maintain my EMT license back before I started med. So yes, you should be covered because you can't have one without the other.

Hope that helps.

Bump. got this email and I'm curious. Any word on US residency afterwards?

Last edited:
Get all of your certifications done before you leave the States.

When you arrive in Australia, you'll have a lot more on your plate as far as setting up a bank account, getting a phone plan, and getting situated with your housing and the new environment, etc., that the last thing you're going to want to deal with is stuff that you could have taken care of prior to your arrival. If you're physically able to complete an objective in the States, then complete that objective in the States.

I also agree with nybgrus that applications submitted later than mid-October are on the late-side. Don't view this as a necessary disadvantage however. I know a current student who had originally submitted her application in early-December and had received her acceptance in late-December, just prior to her commencement.

Bump. got this email and I'm curious. Any word on US residency afterwards?

Not yet. And even when the current class matches it will only be n=9, so hard to draw conclusions, especially if a few end up at Ochsner (which is quite likely for myriad reasons, including the fact that Ochsner is not such a bad place to end up).

Next match (my year) will be more robust at 30-ish

As I have tried to explain before, there is no issue with residency or licensing in CA or NY.

The traditional pathway is better if you want an internship in Aus. The Ochsner pathway is definitely better if you want a residency in the US.

If after year 1 + 2 one were to develop a desire to stay in Brisbane is there an option to transfer into the 'regular' program for year 3 + 4?

do you have to fly to Australia for an interview?

There is no interview for the University of Queensland. Admission to the medical school is based on your MCAT, GPA, letters of recommendation, CV, and personal statement.

If after year 1 + 2 one were to develop a desire to stay in Brisbane is there an option to transfer into the 'regular' program for year 3 + 4?

When you apply to UQ-Ochsner it states that you are not eligible to transfer into the traditional Brisbane-based program for years 3 & 4. However, I think this is mostly to discourage everyone from transferring to the traditional program and overwhelming their clinical placements. It could be possible. Your best bet is to call/email admissions to find out.

When you apply to UQ-Ochsner it states that you are not eligible to transfer into the traditional Brisbane-based program for years 3 & 4. However, I think this is mostly to discourage everyone from transferring to the traditional program and overwhelming their clinical placements. It could be possible. Your best bet is to call/email admissions to find out.

Transfers aren't allowed into or out of the program. I'm in the standard 4-year UQ program (i.e. I'm not in Ochsner), but had inquired across several emails, out of mere curiosity, about a possible transfer, and they said none in or out were allowed. Once again, I had merely made inquiries. I know of a girl who had actually been granted permission by Ochsner to transfer into the program for MS3/4; she was seven steps ahead of me and had actually received a formalized approval letter from Louisiana and everything, but the SoM in Herston (Australia) didn't allow it.

Quite honestly, once you let one person across the barrier, the flood gates open and all of a sudden everyone wants to transfer in or out. There are just way too many people in the program to ever have that be a feasibility. In general, you should realize that any form of transfer made while in medical school, even if at an American school, is exceedingly rare. It shouldn't be viewed any differently in this case. No transfers.

There is no interview for the University of Queensland. Admission to the medical school is based on your MCAT, GPA, letters of recommendation, CV, and personal statement.

I'm not sure where you get your information from, but the entire application hangs almost solely on the MCAT. Not only is there no interview, there is no submission of a CV nor personal statement. International grades also vary too extensively to have any objective value, so they're essentially worthless unless you notably failed. A 4.0 in Taiwan vs one in Nevada tells an Aussie nothing. Yet again, I was accepted in 2009 into the standard 4-yr program in Australia. If they require your CV and/or personal statement, then maybe that is unique to Ochsner and/or is merely a change in the application process these past 3 years. But I can tell you for a fact no CV or PS is required for the 4-yr program.

Last edited:
Hmmm. This is interesting. I suppose if you wanted a shot to practice in Australia, then could you take both the USMLE and the Australian version of the USMLE and apply to American residencies and Australian internships? Or is this not feasible?

I suppose the transfer would be like shooting yourself in the foot anyways. You would greatly diminish your chances at an American Residency, yet you would remain an 'international' and have a difficult time getting Australian internship as well.

Is the inaugural class matching this March? If all 9 students get residency it will greatly increase my desire to attend this program.

Btw I apologize it I offended anyone by implying Australian grads cannot get American residencies. That opinion is based solely on SDN fearmongering of studying at an international medical school

Hmmm. This is interesting. I suppose if you wanted a shot to practice in Australia, then could you take both the USMLE and the Australian version of the USMLE and apply to American residencies and Australian internships? Or is this not feasible?

I suppose the transfer would be like shooting yourself in the foot anyways. You would greatly diminish your chances at an American Residency, yet you would remain an 'international' and have a difficult time getting Australian internship as well.

Is the inaugural class matching this March? If all 9 students get residency it will greatly increase my desire to attend this program.

I don't think Australia has a USMLE-style test. I think it all depends on graduation from medical school. Although I'm sure another poster will have more insight for you.

If you don't have Australian citizenship or permanent residency you have almost no chance of staying after graduation given the current state of things in Australia. Essentially all the medical schools upped their enrollment by massive numbers in a very short period of time, but the number of postgraduate internship places have remained relatively stagnant. This means international students stand virtually no chance of getting an Australian internship if things stay as they are now. There is concern that there won't be enough internships for Australian citizens/ permanent residents.

Also, don't read too much into the match success of this year's Ochsner class. 9 students isn't a very large sample size, and Ochsner has around 50 residencies of its own so it could always retain those 9 to "fix" it's match percentage. Unless you see those graduates matching all outside Ochsner into prestigious programs the first class's match statistics don't mean a whole lot.

It will be interesting to see where they will match.

I just finished the 4 year program at UQ last month. I am American, but not in the Ochsner program. I'll try to keep the point. It's very possible to match from UQ. I was offered interviews at:
-Yale
-Washington University in St. Louis
-Univ of Colorado
-University of Chicago
-Many others...

However, I was one of the lucky ones who received an internship offer here in Australia and decided to take it for personal reasons. Also, I was able to secure the above interview offers without ever having done a rotation in the states and all of my LORs are from Australian physicians.

As for staying in Australia, yes, that is a mess...currently. I suspect things will change though and that Australia will switch to a centralized application system, but the intern spots will still be well short of the graduates being put out.

True, there currently is no standardization of medical graduates in Australia. The system is not designed like the US. Graduates are randomly (for the most part) assigned to a hospital they preferenced earlier in the year. You must complete this intern year to gain General Registration to practice in Australia (for the duraiton of the year you are Provisionally Registrered). You then may go on to choose to train in a specialty (called vocational training) or you may go on to be a house officer (not in a training program). This is where the problem lies. People are actually having trouble finding jobs AFTER internship. Getting on a training program is both time-consuming and very difficult.

If you're career driven, go to the states. It's shorter and you have a better chance (currently). That being said, Australia is catching up. They have been piloting a standardizing exam here for the past few years. It is called the Australian Medical Assessment Collaboration (AMAC) and I sat this exam earlier in the year (http://www.acer.edu.au/amac). It was quite challenging and seemed very similar to Step 2 CK. Additionally, UQ now requires 4th year students, at the very end of your studies, to sit the International Foundations of Medicine (IFOM) Clinical Science Examination (http://www.nbme.org/Schools/iFoM/index.html), very similar to the USMLE and it is written by the NBME. The latter exam does not currently form part of your mark at UQ but I suspect this will change soon.

Just focus and work hard. I'll save the most important part for last: do well on the USMLE.

I just finished the 4 year program at UQ last month. I am American, but not in the Ochsner program. I'll try to keep the point. It's very possible to match from UQ. I was offered interviews at:
-Yale
-Univ of Colorado
-University of Chicago
-Many others...

However, I was one of the lucky ones who received an internship offer here in Australia and decided to take it for personal reasons. Also, I was able to secure the above interview offers without ever having done a rotation in the states and all of my LORs are from Australian physicians.

As for staying in Australia, yes, that is a mess...currently. I suspect things will change though and that Australia will switch to a centralized application system, but the intern spots will still be well short of the graduates being put out.

True, there currently is no standardization of medical graduates in Australia. The system is not designed like the US. Graduates are randomly (for the most part) assigned to a hospital they preferenced earlier in the year. You must complete this intern year to gain General Registration to practice in Australia (for the duraiton of the year you are Provisionally Registrered). You then may go on to choose to train in a specialty (called vocational training) or you may go on to be a house officer (not in a training program). This is where the problem lies. People are actually having trouble finding jobs AFTER internship. Getting on a training program is both time-consuming and very difficult.

If you're career driven, go to the states. It's shorter and you have a better chance (currently). That being said, Australia is catching up. They have been piloting a standardizing exam here for the past few years. It is called the Australian Medical Assessment Collaboration (AMAC) and I sat this exam earlier in the year (http://www.acer.edu.au/amac). It was quite challenging and seemed very similar to Step 2 CK. Additionally, UQ now requires 4th year students, at the very end of your studies, to sit the International Foundations of Medicine (IFOM) Clinical Science Examination (http://www.nbme.org/Schools/iFoM/index.html), very similar to the USMLE and it is written by the NBME. The latter exam does not currently form part of your mark at UQ but I suspect this will change soon.

Just focus and work hard. I'll save the most important part for last: do well on the USMLE.

How did you match into US programs if you graduated last month? I thought UQ students have to wait 6 months to start a residency because of the difference in graduation dates between US and Australia?

I don't know anything yet as a pre-med, but isn't there only one match day every year in March for US residencies?

That's comforting to hear though about your success, I actually shadowed an IMG physician and I could see he was very talented and good at what he did. So I am confident in the quality of education. I like the idea too of it starting 9 months earlier than an American MD because I am approaching my 30s and getting pretty old.

I am particularly cautious because I have a Chemistry major from a top university and have been unable to gain employment in my field. So I worry about not being able to get a residency if I go international because of this experience of not being able to get a job with a good degree from a good school.

How did you match into US programs if you graduated last month? I thought UQ students have to wait 6 months to start a residency because of the difference in graduation dates between US and Australia?

I don't know anything yet as a pre-med, but isn't there only one match day every year in March for US residencies?

That's comforting to hear though about your success, I actually shadowed an IMG physician and I could see he was very talented and good at what he did. So I am confident in the quality of education. I like the idea too of it starting 9 months earlier than an American MD because I am approaching my 30s and getting pretty old.

I am particularly cautious because I have a Chemistry major from a top university and have been unable to gain employment in my field. So I worry about not being able to get a residency if I go international because of this experience of not being able to get a job with a good degree from a good school.

Matching is the process where you apply, interview, rank, and then secure a position in a training program. I never said I matched, I said I was offered interviews. The interview season is occurring right now.

Do you mind if I ask which specialty you've applied and got interviews from? I heard that most IMGs have high chance only on FM,IM, and psychiatry. It's impressive to see how you've got an interveiw from the top schools. What was your USMLE scores if you don't mind me asking?

Do you mind if I ask which specialty you've applied and got interviews from? I heard that most IMGs have high chance only on FM,IM, and psychiatry. It's impressive to see how you've got an interveiw from the top schools. What was your USMLE scores if you don't mind me asking?

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have - I was in a similar position previously.

Before I begin I'd like to mention a key SDN feature. By clicking on a screen name you can find previous posts by a user. If you do this with my name (neulite30) you can find where I posted my USMLE scores (Step 1: 244, Step 2 CK: 265)...and before you say to yourself "oh that's why he got those interviews" remember, the USMLE is completely under your control and rewards those who put forth the effort. By no means did it come naturally, I made a 24 on the MCAT first try.

I applied to pathology programs, regarded as being in the "middle" in terms of competitiveness. Please don't pigeon-hole yourself by thinking you'll be restricted as an IMG. Remember I was able to do this without ever having medical experience in the states. True, pathology may be unique to this lax in requirements for US clinical experience, but I also have published and presented at conferences while in med school, thus there are things you can do to get noticed. Finally, if you're really concerned or want to know where you stand then write directly to the program directors (probably not during application season). I did this with many programs and one of the ivy league directors mentioned that they do NOT regard Australian medical institutions as inferior or at a disadvantage when applying for residency.

Take what you will from my advice, but I generally found the process very fair and no different than if I had attended an LCME-accredited medical school.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have - I was in a similar position previously.

Before I begin I'd like to mention a key SDN feature. By clicking on a screen name you can find previous posts by a user. If you do this with my name (neulite30) you can find where I posted my USMLE scores (Step 1: 244, Step 2 CK: 265)...and before you say to yourself "oh that's why he got those interviews" remember, the USMLE is completely under your control and rewards those who put forth the effort. By no means did it come naturally, I made a 24 on the MCAT first try.

I applied to pathology programs, regarded as being in the "middle" in terms of competitiveness. Please don't pigeon-hole yourself by thinking you'll be restricted as an IMG. Remember I was able to do this without ever having medical experience in the states. True, pathology may be unique to this lax in requirements for US clinical experience, but I also have published and presented at conferences while in med school, thus there are things you can do to get noticed. Finally, if you're really concerned or want to know where you stand then write directly to the program directors (probably not during application season). I did this with many programs and one of the ivy league directors mentioned that they do NOT regard Australian medical institutions as inferior or at a disadvantage when applying for residency.

Take what you will from my advice, but I generally found the process very fair and no different than if I had attended an LCME-accredited medical school.

I actually think the 2CK score and research may have been the more polarizing components of your application. A Step1 in the 240s is good for an AMG, but for an IMG, it's pretty neutral. The main concern of any American PD is the clinical competency of the applicant because he or she isn't receiving the bulk of his or her clerkship training in the US. So whereas 2CK isn't a very critical part of the AMG application, it's vital for the IMG's. But yeah, a 240-range score is solid for path. If you want a competitive gen surg spot though, or even just a general chance at plastics or derm, an IMG Step1 sub-255 won't do the trick.

-Yale
-Univ of Colorado
-University of Chicago
-Many others...

many congratulations on your success! I plan to take Step 1 and 2, but have not heard of this AMAC exam that you mention of. Is performing well on this exam for an international student studying in an Australian medical school increase the chances of an international student landing an internship?

I know with the recent newly created positions, that most students again will get an internship this year. But what are the benefits of taking this AMAC exam? Does it nearly ensure a international student studying at an Australian medical school get an internship?

Thank you

many congratulations on your success! I plan to take Step 1 and 2, but have not heard of this AMAC exam that you mention of. Is performing well on this exam for an international student studying in an Australian medical school increase the chances of an international student landing an internship?

I know with the recent newly created positions, that most students again will get an internship this year. But what are the benefits of taking this AMAC exam? Does it nearly ensure a international student studying at an Australian medical school get an internship?

Thank you

Apologies. I probably shouldn't have put that out there for the impressionable.

The answer is no. The AMAC is only in its infancy and is currently being piloted by administering to medical students in their final year. The scores are not used for anything other than research at this stage. My point was that Australia is aware of the lack of standardization for their medical graduates and I believe this exam is one way they are addressing this.

Apologies. I probably shouldn't have put that out there for the impressionable.

The answer is no. The AMAC is only in its infancy and is currently being piloted by administering to medical students in their final year. The scores are not used for anything other than research at this stage. My point was that Australia is aware of the lack of standardization for their medical graduates and I believe this exam is one way they are addressing this.

I'm going to be entering a 6 year program, so I am guessing that by the time I am approaching graduation, the exam may be used as a benchmark to determine which students get an internship position.

Can you go a little bit more into detail of how to apply for internships ie. what they look for; (I know its mainly citizenship, but can applicants also send in their CV's and references to be considered?), and was there any miniscule benefit you think for your application to internships by having taken the AMAC? Thank you.

I'm going to be entering a 6 year program, so I am guessing that by the time I am approaching graduation, the exam may be used as a benchmark to determine which students get an internship position.

Can you go a little bit more into detail of how to apply for internships ie. what they look for; (I know its mainly citizenship, but can applicants also send in their CV's and references to be considered?), and was there any miniscule benefit you think for your application to internships by having taken the AMAC? Thank you.

Again, I have absolutely no idea if the AMAC will be used for anything beyond research at this stage. It's plausible that it could be used as a benchmark for students, however, the IFOM is also being administered. There's no telling what process they will use in the future suffice it to say that the AMAC pilot info is based on volunteering (selection bias) while the IFOM is required by all UQ students at the end of their course. Note that the USMLE Step 2 CS is currently accepted by the UQ SOM as a substitute for the final year OSCE (MSAT) exam.

Regarding the process of applying for internship in Australia, that is a lengthy conversation. The process is concisely explained here: http://www.mumus.org/downloads/What Is The Deal With Interstate Internships.pdf

The AMAC is not considered, your CV may or may not count depending on the state. The entire process, currently, is very biased and subjective.

My advice? Seeing as how unpredictable the process may be, just work hard while in med school and do what is generally regarded as "achievements": high score on the USMLE, good marks in school, great LORs, publications, presentations. Regardless of what they look at in the future, doing well on these components will significantly increase your chances of (good) post-graduate employment.

I actually think the 2CK score and research may have been the more polarizing components of your application. A Step1 in the 240s is good for an AMG, but for an IMG, it's pretty neutral. The main concern of any American PD is the clinical competency of the applicant because he or she isn't receiving the bulk of his or her clerkship training in the US. So whereas 2CK isn't a very critical part of the AMG application, it's vital for the IMG's. But yeah, a 240-range score is solid for path. If you want a competitive gen surg spot though, or even just a general chance at plastics or derm, an IMG Step1 sub-255 won't do the trick.

I just noticed this thread fired up again. I'll address a few other points in a separate post but I wanted to take a moment to disagree with Phloston.

Normally he and I are more or less in agreement and in this case I agree with everything he says, but it is the numbers I disagree with. I'll preface this by saying I got a 242 on my Step 1, but I am writing as objectively as I can.

Yes, IMGs in general have to score higher than their US counterparts. However, this is actually highly variable by specialty. If you look at the NRMP match data which segregates AMG/US-IMG/IMG you find that in many specialties the average Step scores for matched US-IMG's is more or less on par with the AMG counterparts. The foreign born IMG's tend to be worse off, but even then this is variable. In some specialties like radiology, dermatology, and opthalmology the US-IMG Step scores are significantly higher but are still accepted at much lower rates. In general surgery the gap is minimal and most certainly the average is not 255+.

In general highly competitive programs have an arbitrary cut off of 230 for the Step 1. This is reflexive and your app will be turned down if you do not meet this score. It is possible, though difficult and not exceedingly common, to call a PD (or have a well regarded attending or faculty head call) and explain your situation if you are less than 230. However, once you get into the 240's and 250's the rest of the application is what becomes more important. A consistent Step 2 score is big. Extra curriculars, publication, research, LoR, etc etc are now the discriminators. The exception is the "boy's club" specialties and some specific very elite programs. There you need scores like that, but they are not the norm and are also substantially more competitive for AMG's as well.

I have anecdotes to provide further evidence, but the numbers from the NRMP data speak for themselves. Do not become to dejected thinking that you need at least in the 250's to do anything other than primary care or family practice. However, if barely pass or fail the first time, you will be drastically limited in your options which is true of AMG's as well, but likely to a slightly lesser extent. The reality is that the scores are what get you noticed and allow the PD's to care about the REST of your application. If my research and LoR are better than Phloston's with all else being equal and he has a 260 and I have a 242, the vast majority of programs would still rank me higher.

1) There are absolutely no transfers in or out of the program. Perhaps you can finagle your way into it somehow, but it would be very difficult, time consuming, and unlikely to succeed. Do not go into this thinking that you will be able to change streams.

2) Unless something has changed since I applied there are no LoR for the Ochsner application but you do write a personal statement.

3) There is no Aus version of the USMLE. Everything neulite said was pretty spot on.

4) The inaugural class match is not going to be informative. Matches away from Ochsner at well regarded places will obviously be good, but if all match internally that doesn't necessarily mean anything negative.

5) Brisbane has much more a cali feel than an east coast feel, but definitely some east coast elements.

6) Australian grads get great US placements. The dean of UCSF school of medicine is a UQ MBBS grad and I know of a pair of UQ grads who couples-matched at (IIRC) Dartmouth.

7) Neulite is definitely right: study hard and do well on your USMLE.

8) If you do well as a student you will have every opportunity to place well in the US match. Perhaps not quite as good as an AMG, but in all honesty pretty darned close.

9) In general, getting an interview at a program means they think you are qualified to be matched. Once you have the interview things like IMG or not matter very little and it becomes about who you are and will you be a good part of the team and help advance it as well.

Are graduates of the University of Queensland's Ochsner Program recognized for licensure by the medical boards of all 50 US States?.

California medical board site committee recommend full accrediation as of April 16, 2014 for all student from Jan. 1, 2009 for the UQ Oschner program. It will be recognized for sure in California.

Attachments

• medboardofcalif_20140501_brd-4.pdf
    582.5 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 user
California medical board site committee recommend full accrediation as of April 16, 2014 for all student from Jan. 1, 2009 for the UQ Oschner program. It will be recognized for sure in California. ..
As of May 1, UQ Oschner program is fully recognized by the California Medical Board.

This is for my own clarification not to pick a fight:

I spoke with a representative from the medical boards of Colorado and Arkansas. Both states use California's list of approved medical schools for determining licensure. University of Queensland is on that list. Nevertheless, the application for the program does state that students will not be eligible at this point to practice in California. Dr. Pinsky (head of the Ochsner Clinical school) told me personally that he couldn’t foresee any reason why there would be a problem attaining full approval from the California State Medical Board for the UQ/Ochsner program. According to him this is because Ochsner is an approved clinical school in the state of California and the University of Queensland is an approved medical school in the state of California. I have no reason to doubt that in the near future California will no longer be an issue at all for graduates from this program. But it is still up in the air at the moment as far as I know.

As for New York, I still don’t know what the deal is with that. The medical school grants the degree for this program and the medical school for this particular degree is the University of Queensland, located in Australia NOT Australia and the United States. I don’t understand how Ochsner Medical Center being approved as a contributory medical institution by the AMC in Australia makes any difference.

The reasoning just seems a little fuzzy and I don’t see any really concrete evidence that would convince someone at the NYSED or The New York State Department of Health that UQ/Oschner students are exempt from the 12 weeks rule.

As far as I have been told the degree will not say anything about Ochsner on it. Just as if your clinical school were in Redcliffe, Toowoomba, or Nambour there would be no indication of where you did your clerkships. The degree will simply be from the University of Queensland and because more than 12 weeks of clerkship are completed outside of Australia in the UQ/Ochsner program it seems that the New York 12 weeks rule does apply.

As previously stated, New York is one of the most IMG friendly states for residencies and to have that taken off the table is a big deal for anyone thinking about the program or currently in the program.

According to Medico290, the response from the education credential specialist for the NYS Board for Medicine says that UQ/Ochsner graduates will NOT be eligible for residency. (I am currently awaiting a response to my own email to the New York State Department of Health to confirm this).

Phloston, if you have any documented evidence or could give me the name of an administrator of the program that I should talk to either at UQ or Ochsner or someone at the New York State Department of Health that could provide me some concrete evidence or some assurance that New York is going to allow graduates from the UQ/Ochsner program to do residencies in that state I would be very grateful.

If graduates cannot complete residencies in the state of New York at the very least this issue should be disclosed to future applicants just like the California restriction was disclosed on the application in previous years. Furthermore, this entire issue should be clarified to current students by the OMSA reps or the program administration before the census date because I know that there are at least several current students that are aware of this New York issue and are concerned.

I recently looked into the program however I have decided not to apply. The Ochsner students are currently not eligible to practice in California (per the application: i. UQ is in the process of making an application for recognition to the Medical Board of California. Graduates of the UQ-Ochsner program would not be allowed to become licensed in California at this time.) or New York (read it somewhere online, schools must be on a list of medical schools approved to conduct long-term clinical electives outside the country where the school is located, UQ Ochsner is NOT on this list).

$208,000 is a lot of money to ask for a program that isn't recognized by all 50 states. If you want to study medicine at the University of Queensland the best bet is to apply to traditional 4-year program that is conducted entirely in Australia.
I recently looked into the program however I have decided not to apply. The Ochsner students are currently not eligible to practice in California (per the application: i. UQ is in the process of making an application for recognition to the Medical Board of California. Graduates of the UQ-Ochsner program would not be allowed to become licensed in California at this time.) or New York (read it somewhere online, schools must be on a list of medical schools approved to conduct long-term clinical electives outside the country where the school is located, UQ Ochsner is NOT on this list).

$208,000 is a lot of money to ask for a program that isn't recognized by all 50 states. If you want to study medicine at the University of Queensland the best bet is to apply to traditional 4-year program that is conducted entirely in Australia.