University of Queensland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My gut feeling tells me both schools are great, but I would love to live in Sydney (I'm from San Francisco and Sydney is so similar). Either way, I'd be happy at either institutions.

I think if you understand the pluses and minuses of doing med in Australia in general, you can't go wrong with either. If at all possible/affordable for you, I'd recommend you fly out, sit in on a lecture or two, meet the deans and some of the students, do a boat race...

Visit other schools, too. I was surprised by my choice by the end of my trip.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you understand the pluses and minuses of doing med in Australia in general, you can't go wrong with either. If at all possible/affordable for you, I'd recommend you fly out, sit in on a lecture or two, meet the deans and some of the students, do a boat race...

Visit other schools, too. I was surprised by my choice by the end of my trip.

I can't afford a trip due to the cost of applications and i'll also be in school in August working on a master's. My GPA is quite low and so UQ and USyd are the only one that have a minimum but then use MCAT (and interview for USyd) to determine acceptance.

I can't afford a trip due to the cost of applications and i'll also be in school in August working on a master's. My GPA is quite low and so UQ and USyd are the only one that have a minimum but then use MCAT (and interview for USyd) to determine acceptance.

I see. It certainly sounds like you know what you're doing then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Canadian and American who was accepted into the regular 4 year program. I just recently decided to switch into the UQ/Ochsner program for various reasons. 1.) I want to practice medicine in the US 2.) Australian internships (residencies) are becoming more and more competitive for international students 3.) Although the 4 year program allows 3 international rotations, the travel cost + cost of maintaining rent payments in Aus while also paying/renting for 8 weeks at a time internationally + the headache of organizing rotations all over the place was too much 4.) Ochsner will have preference for their own when it comes to accepting students for residency postions 5.) The LSU and Tulane students who have done rotations at Ocshner enjoy it 6.) It is a new pioneering program. This program should not be compared to Caribbean programs as you still wind up with a medical degree from an internationally recognized world class University. The only drawbacks that I see is the loss of flexibility. Instead of being able to rotate at 4 different places (3 wherever + Aus) I will be somewhat limited to doing all of my rotations at Ochsner, however, this being said, I could still do my year 1 elective internationally and PERHAPS my year 4 elective (still to be determined).

I just started filling out the app to this program and it seems like they don't ask for letters of recommendation or extra curricular activities. Is acceptance really based entirely on MCAT, GPA, and your short answers to the 3 questions? How long were peoples responses to the Ochsner questions? Even if you choose to attach an additional sheet of paper, the available space isn't that big.

I just started filling out the app to this program and it seems like they don't ask for letters of recommendation or extra curricular activities. Is acceptance really based entirely on MCAT, GPA, and your short answers to the 3 questions? How long were peoples responses to the Ochsner questions? Even if you choose to attach an additional sheet of paper, the available space isn't that big.

You should be applying through oztrekk. In which case, I would direct application questions to them as they are the most informed on this subject.

As a whole though, if you have a GPA of 2.7+, you don't have to worry about that any more. All that matters is your MCAT. If the class isn't full and confirmed (and from my talks with oztrekk, it isn't even close), then you should be fine so long as you meet the mcat minimum. Althought they seem lenient with that too.

Just be truthful on the questions.

As an aside, the ochsner program has 80 spots and the international spots that are available are 130. 210 in total. I have trouble believing that they've filled that already, but that is just my opinion.

I emailed admissions asking if I could apply to both the normal and Ochsner program at the same time. They said the international program is almost full, but to apply to the Ochsner program. My GPA and MCAT scores are competitive, so my biggest problem will most likely be deciding whether to enroll for January or to hold out hope for a US school (I was waitlisted at a middle tier school this past cycle). I plan on calling the MedEdPath admissions during lunch today to ask a few more questions about the program. I don't think I have to apply through oztrekk for the US program, just print it out from the admissions site and mail it to the NY address, the $100 fee has even been waived. I guess they are very desperate for applicants considering all the advertising and fee waiver.

I emailed admissions asking if I could apply to both the normal and Ochsner program at the same time. They said the international program is almost full, but to apply to the Ochsner program. My GPA and MCAT scores are competitive, so my biggest problem will most likely be deciding whether to enroll for January or to hold out hope for a US school (I was waitlisted at a middle tier school this past cycle). I plan on calling the MedEdPath admissions during lunch today to ask a few more questions about the program. I don't think I have to apply through oztrekk for the US program, just print it out from the admissions site and mail it to the NY address, the $100 fee has even been waived. I guess they are very desperate for applicants considering all the advertising and fee waiver.

Remember, GPA has nothing to do with your admissions chances. If you got an interview/waitlist at a school in the US, you should get an offer from UQ if they have spots. It's likely you will jump a lot of spots because of that (I'd imagine you have at least a high 20/low 30 mcat that is balanced). Apply to both programs. I know of 3 people that are turning down their offers, so spots will be opening up.

If you apply through oztrekk, you will get a $500 'scholarship' from them. So that may be a better call. There is no application fee, either.

Last edited: