University of Rochester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joedogma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody interview at Rochester? I was actually quite impressed with the program. New chair is making some positive changes and the facilities are hands down best I have seen. Residents in recent past have gone onto impressive fellowships and there are great research opportunities. Anyone want to comment on their impressions/experiences? Thinking about ranking them highly...whole intuitive feel thing going on here...wanted to hear what others thought...

Members don't see this ad.

Houses are dirt cheap there. Heating bills are pretty high though.

Members don't see this ad :)
PFCortex said:
impression: brrrrr lake effect
totally. lake effect sucks donkey balls. i've had to live with that for the past 7 years!

AndyMilonakis said:
totally. lake effect sucks donkey balls. i've had to live with that for the past 7 years!

With all this anti-cold talk, I'm thinking you want to go to LA.

AndyMilonakis said:
well there's SF and Stanford too :oops:

Ah-hah! We're getting closer!

jeff2005 said:
Ah-hah! We're getting closer!
Waitaminute? Who is we? And getting closer to what?

Is there some kind of investigation going on here?

jeff2005 said:
Houses are dirt cheap there. Heating bills are pretty high though.

funny -- i noticed that too when i was there....great way to actually try to SAVE money while in residency....

Thanks for the replies. I already know that Rochester gets 100+ inches of snow/year and that I buying a big home is easily done on a resident's salary. Anybody have any thoughts on the actual program?

And yes...lake effect does suck donkey balls

joedogma said:
And yes...lake effect does suck donkey balls
Agreed. However, should you end up there...Pedro offers you his protection from the lake effect.

deschutes said:
...by what, installing heated driveways!?
no. whenever the lake effect comes into town, i'm gonna have my two cousins drive up in their convertible with "Vote 4 Pedro" on the door...the cousin in the drivers seat is gonna shake his head at the lake effect andthe lake effect will pass by and terrorize the adjacent town thereby leaving Rochester alone.

joedogma said:
Anybody interview at Rochester? I was actually quite impressed with the program. New chair is making some positive changes and the facilities are hands down best I have seen. Residents in recent past have gone onto impressive fellowships and there are great research opportunities. Anyone want to comment on their impressions/experiences? Thinking about ranking them highly...whole intuitive feel thing going on here...wanted to hear what others thought...

I'll give you an actual response, 'kay?

I had the exact same experience when I was there. I even did a search here and on google trying to learn more about the place, since nobody ever seems to talk about it. It's hard to not assume that a place is crappy because they have a ton of foreign grads, and nobody ever talks about "ooh, I want to go to the U of Rochester program!". But in this case, I decided to go with my gut and put them in my top tier. Yep, I am ranking them above a place like U of Minnesota. Part of it is that one of my important criteria is that the program take place predominantly at one facility rather than a bunch of them. At U of Minnesota you have to go to several hospitals, but in Rochester there is just one main one. And the facilities there are great, IMO. The residents are happy, and I was impressed about the research opps.

So, no it's not just you.

Thanks Stormjen :) Its nice to be in good company...

...and thanks Andy for offering Pedro's protection