University of South Florida USF Masters in Medical Science MSMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I go to FSU. GPA: 3.4, GRE: 297. I think my GRE score might have caused it. Guess i'll wait and see though

Yeah under a 300 GRE isn't going to help you there. Why haven't you taken the MCAT yet? Are you not interested in medical school or are you a career changer?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah under a 300 GRE isn't going to help you there. Why haven't you taken the MCAT yet? Are you not interested in medical school or are you a career changer?

I'm actually going for physical therapy. I suck on standardized testing so that explains my low GRE.

I'm actually going for physical therapy. I suck on standardized testing so that explains my low GRE.

Oh I see a PT guy. Why don't you just work on that GRE then apply your butt off once you get that score? What good would this masters programs really do for you? I mean I really don't know what it take to get into PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see a PT guy. Why don't you just work on that GRE then apply your butt off once you get that score? What good would this masters programs really do for you? I mean I really don't know what it take to get into PT school.

yea i plan on doing that. I have considered medical school though. I just wanna keep my options open, but i'm definitely putting in the work for the GRE.

yea i plan on doing that. I have considered medical school though. I just wanna keep my options open, but i'm definitely putting in the work for the GRE.

Well if you do want to go med the MCAT is by far the worst exam I have ever taken. Sucks the life out of you.

Well, personally I feel like I really learned a lot in this program. There are some really great instructors and then there are a few who are really, really bad (like in physiology we had a guy for 8 lectures that did not speak english and I couldn't tell what the %$#@ he was saying). My class is the first year of this program so there are bound to be issues and such to work out and solve for future classes. If the faculty and Dr.Barber take our feedback and make the proper changes then I think things will be much better for this next class.
Most of the people that are complaining clearly just wanted to be handed a good grade. I wanted to really learn this stuff, because I love medicine and I enjoy going to class everyday and learning interesting things. In the end you really do get what you put into it.
I also had no problems getting letters of rec. from a couple of my professors, most are really pretty nice if you just talk to them.
The only class that I am really upset with right now would be ethics that I am taking currently. I don't want to get into details right now, but it is turning out to be the class from hell. If they don't fix the issues in this class I will gladly post and let you all know exactly what happened.
Also, this will be my first time applying to medical schools so I will let you all know if I get in somewhere because of this program.
I am a current student in this pre-profession program and I support what these two comments are claiming. I really hoped that there were useful comments like these when I applied to this program. If I had seen these comments, I would have avoided this program at all costs. Of course, I acknowledge a new program such as this needs improvement and tuning. Yes, you indeed learn a lot of scientific knowledge in this program. However, are you willing to risk your chances in getting into med school? Please go somewhere else if you can!

Well, personally I feel like I really learned a lot in this program. There are some really great instructors and then there are a few who are really, really bad (like in physiology we had a guy for 8 lectures that did not speak english and I couldn't tell what the %$#@ he was saying). My class is the first year of this program so there are bound to be issues and such to work out and solve for future classes. If the faculty and Dr.Barber take our feedback and make the proper changes then I think things will be much better for this next class.
Most of the people that are complaining clearly just wanted to be handed a good grade. I wanted to really learn this stuff, because I love medicine and I enjoy going to class everyday and learning interesting things. In the end you really do get what you put into it.
I also had no problems getting letters of rec. from a couple of my professors, most are really pretty nice if you just talk to them.
The only class that I am really upset with right now would be ethics that I am taking currently. I don't want to get into details right now, but it is turning out to be the class from hell. If they don't fix the issues in this class I will gladly post and let you all know exactly what happened.
Also, this will be my first time applying to medical schools so I will let you all know if I get in somewhere because of this program.

Hi guys...feel free to email me with any questions. I would like to inform you of how this program is actually running. Everyone keeps thinking it is so great and so helpful. In lecture yesterday, the head of the program, Dr. Barber, came in and asked how many of us were accepted into medical school. Less than 1/4 of the class raised their hands. He was very frustrated and realized all of the flaws with this program. Many of the professors couldn't care less about us...even if you are 0.05 points away from the higher grade, you can almost guarantee it will not go up. The reverse is also true. Some professors will do almost anything to help.

This program as a whole is run very poorly. They give us four exams each with an average of 10 powerpoints back to back. They are not flexible whatsoever. I am fortunate to be one of the few that got into medical school. My school starts July 27 and we have a final exam July 26. The professor says the earliest she can have the exam ready for me is July 24, giving me 3 days to visit with my family and move out of state.

The online classes had quizzes, but since we are all doing so well, they assume we cheated on the quizzes so now it has been changed to four papers instead.

Everything is unorganized and EVERYTHING is our fault. If we do bad, it is because we didn't study enough. If we do good, it's because we are cheating. There is no winning. Everyone complains and hates this program.

Normally, I am a very positive person and would rather go with the flow over bitching. This program forces you to be upset and bitch. Just when you think you are almost done with the program and the drama is finally over BAM they give you something else to be upset about.

If you're going to start this program, don't say no one ever told you that it doesn't really raise your chances of getting into med school...and you will have to FIGHT for your grade ALL the way through the program. I am one of the fortunate ones to have a 4.0 (VERY VERY VERY VERY rare in our program).

I am a current student in this pre-profession program and I support what these two comments are claiming. I really hoped that there were useful comments like these when I applied to this program. If I had seen these comments, I would have avoided this program at all costs. Of course, I acknowledge a new program such as this needs improvement and tuning. Yes, you indeed learn a lot of scientific knowledge in this program. However, are you willing to risk your chances in getting into med school? Please go somewhere else if you can!

I will be declining my acceptance due to an acceptance at Mississippi college...

I will be declining my acceptance due to an acceptance at Mississippi college...

That is probably a good decision. In a few years I think this program may be great. There are so many issues with this ethics class this semester I don't even want to type them all out right now. It is so rediculous you all would not believe me, seriously.
:bullcrap:

That is probably a good decision. In a few years I think this program may be great. There are so many issues with this ethics class this semester I don't even want to type them all out right now. It is so rediculous you all would not believe me, seriously.
:bullcrap:

No I believe you. Regardless the program at MC is better by leaps and bounds. You take med school shelf exams to prove yourself and I can not think of a better way to get a medical schools attention then that.

No I believe you. Regardless the program at MC is better by leaps and bounds. You take med school shelf exams to prove yourself and I can not think of a better way to get a medical schools attention then that.

Nice! Yeah that sounds great. Good luck! :luck:

I know it is probably pretty late to be asking this but I am having some last minute hesitation. Does anyone know any info on the online program? It would save me a ton of money in loans to live at home but there is really no information on the program out there. I've called and emailed Katie Carson but she is really unhelpful (sorry, but is it just me?) Anyways I know I can switch into it if I want to but was just wondering if anyone else was considering this option or if anyone has already done the program online.. Thanks!

I know it is probably pretty late to be asking this but I am having some last minute hesitation. Does anyone know any info on the online program? It would save me a ton of money in loans to live at home but there is really no information on the program out there. I've called and emailed Katie Carson but she is really unhelpful (sorry, but is it just me?) Anyways I know I can switch into it if I want to but was just wondering if anyone else was considering this option or if anyone has already done the program online.. Thanks!

Don't know anything about the online program but whoever is running the FB page for the incoming class said they've been so busy that it's taking longer to reply to e-mails so if there are any questions everyone can benefit from, you can ask them on their FB page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/USF-COM-MS-in-Medical-Sciences-PhD-Programs-2012/139740029456765) to get an expedited answer.

Hi, I was wondering if you were able to get any additional information about the online track? I am also very interested in the program as I need a SMP, etc for GPA booster but am not in the position to relocate. I am curious if the online program would carry as much weight in ADCOM's eyes as a traditional on campus program would. Any thoughts or insight?

What are chances for me in this program?
uGPA 3.56
sGPA 3.40
GRE 299 (V+Q)
Tons of shadowing and volunteering experiences at hospitals.
I am applying for Fall 2015.

It'll be great if I can have some input?