University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But I've been assured that I probably get in eventually...mid-june is the latest prediction, so may hurry up and finish! Anyhow, so I just wanted to breathe some life into this thread. Just for planning, I was wondering does anyone know the academic calendar for first year - meaning start date and end date? Also, does anyone know how long we get for Christmas vacation (if any) and how much time between first and second year? Thanks!

I hope this works! :) :) :)

http://hsc.usf.edu/medicine/educationalaffairs/educational_program/com_academic_calendar.xls

Members don't see this ad.

quote=1_Accept_Away;5152398]Hi med2007, I'm in South Florida too...actually working in an office in Ft Lauderdale as I write! Anyhow, thanks for this calendar...very informative. Hope to see you in the fall!!![/quote]

Glad I could help. I look forward to seeing you there! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on board guys!!!

Does anyone what a typical day (in terms of lecture and lab hours) are for a first year at USF?

Does anyone what a typical day (in terms of lecture and lab hours) are for a first year at USF?

Most days are generally 8 to 4/5, but 3 days out of the week are half days. However, on one of those half days you go to your LCE (longitudinal clinical experience). This applies to both 1st and 2nd year.

Mike,
Thanks so much for your advice and input. I know I speak for everyone here when I say you are my (our) new best friend! :cool:

Hey, I started a new facebook group for the class because the 2010 class did this year and it was a good way to get to start knowing each other. You'll have to add your USF email to facebook before you can join. It's USF COM 2011. Join the group when you all get a chance so we can start matching some names to faces.

Hey, I started a new facebook group for the class because the 2010 class did this year and it was a good way to get to start knowing each other. You'll have to add your USF email to facebook before you can join. It's USF COM 2011. Join the group when you all get a chance so we can start matching some names to faces.

I just joined! I am glad a group has started!

Mike,
Thanks so much for your advice and input. I know I speak for everyone here when I say you are my (our) new best friend! :cool:

I remember how it was to be in your shoes. It seriously seems like last year to me - med school goes by SOOOO damn fast. You'll see when you go through it yourself... Anyways I'm happy to help you guys figure out some of this stuff earlier than later. I try to check SDN occasionally, but if you have a question you have to have answered just shoot me an email.

I can't seem to find this group:confused:

Where do we get our USF email address? I couldn't find it on the welcome class of 2011 page. :confused:

Edit: never mind. I found out how to do it by going to my.usf.edu and then reigstring for a netid which is also your email address.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't seem to find this group:confused:

You have to join the USF network to find the group because it is a USF only group. Add USF to your networks by adding your USF email address.

If you haven't viewed it already, there is a Welcome Class of 2011 webpage up at Student Affairs. They have been updating it over the past few weeks, and the URL changed recently.

Important URLs
============

Important Reminders
================
  • First day of class is August 13, 2007! :D
  • Financial aid master promissory notes and Student Request Forms from financial aid are due by June 1 to ensure you get your disbursed loan funds by August 13, 2007. If you don't get it in on time, USF may not extend your due date for tuition on August 13 if your financial aid funds are disbursed late.
  • There is a financial aid (required) workshop that you have to attend before classes start. They are on August 9 and August 10 at 3:00pm on campus in room MDA 1096
  • If you haven't filled out your FAFSA and turned it in, get it in NOW so you can meet all the deadlines.
  • The Hepatitis-B vaccine can take up to 6 months to complete! If you haven't gotten it started or done before, talk with your health-care provider ASAP. Varicella Vaccine (Chicken Pox) can take up to 2 months to complete if you've never had it before or the disease. The other vaccinations/tests are easy and quick to get if you haven't already had them as most everyone should have for previous college attendance.

Anybody else have any others?

If you haven't viewed it already, there is a Welcome Class of 2011 webpage up at Student Affairs. They have been updating it over the past few weeks, and the URL changed recently.

Important URLs
============

Important Reminders
================
  • First day of class is August 13, 2007! :D
  • Financial aid master promissory notes and Student Request Forms from financial aid are due by June 1 to ensure you get your disbursed loan funds by August 13, 2007. If you don't get it in on time, USF may not extend your due date for tuition on August 13 if your financial aid funds are disbursed late.
  • There is a financial aid (required) workshop that you have to attend before classes start. They are on August 9 and August 10 at 3:00pm on campus in room MDA 1096
  • If you haven't filled out your FAFSA and turned it in, get it in NOW so you can meet all the deadlines.
  • The Hepatitis-B vaccine can take up to 6 months to complete! If you haven't gotten it started or done before, talk with your health-care provider ASAP. Varicella Vaccine (Chicken Pox) can take up to 2 months to complete if you've never had it before or the disease. The other vaccinations/tests are easy and quick to get if you haven't already had them as most everyone should have for previous college attendance.

Anybody else have any others?

Thanks for spelling this all out for us. It is really helpful. I have a question though... Where/how did you get the dates for the mandatory financial aid workshop? I haven't seen or heard anything about this before. I called yesterday and talked to Barbara about the financial aid since I have yet to finish FASFA and she never gave me a date I need to have it in by. She just said the sooner the better but that I was still doing fine as far as time went. Regardless, I am trying to get it done by the end of this week. I feel like I might be missing some information or something. Thanks again!

Thanks for spelling this all out for us. It is really helpful. I have a question though... Where/how did you get the dates for the mandatory financial aid workshop? I haven't seen or heard anything about this before. I called yesterday and talked to Barbara about the financial aid since I have yet to finish FASFA and she never gave me a date I need to have it in by. She just said the sooner the better but that I was still doing fine as far as time went. Regardless, I am trying to get it done by the end of this week. I feel like I might be missing some information or something. Thanks again!

It was just the general information they included with my Financial Aid Award Notification. If you have different deadlines setup with them, you can ignore the generic info they included. The Entrance Workshop flyer was included as well that specified the dates they were offering the workshop.

I feel sooo behind guys:rolleyes: I'm mailing my usf id card paper work tomorrow and hopefully my usf fin aid paperwork as well. I can't even think about immunizations and all that til I get an ID number :( I wish there was a universal system for all the schools so when you turn your health records in and all other important documents everyone gets them. I did everything for FSU b/c I hadnt heard from USF until recently...now I have to do it all over again. I don't mind to much cause I'm sooooo happy that I'm going to be a bull.:banana: :biglove: :clap:

Where is everyone else in the getting ready for med school process? Is this the first year notebook computers are required at USF? When is everyone getting to that?

I feel sooo behind guys:rolleyes: I'm mailing my usf id card paper work tomorrow and hopefully my usf fin aid paperwork as well. I can't even think about immunizations and all that til I get an ID number :( I wish there was a universal system for all the schools so when you turn your health records in and all other important documents everyone gets them. I did everything for FSU b/c I hadnt heard from USF until recently...now I have to do it all over again. I don't mind to much cause I'm sooooo happy that I'm going to be a bull.:banana: :biglove: :clap:

Where is everyone else in the getting ready for med school process? Is this the first year notebook computers are required at USF? When is everyone getting to that?

The only immunizations to worry about are the Hepatitis-B and Varicella as they take time to get through the series (2-6 months), whereas the others are pretty quick and can be done on demand at a clinic or through your health-care provider (if you have never had them before).

I'm waiting to see the price on the laptop package that the IS department is coming up with. I'd really like to get a convertible tablet pc so that I can write on my powerpoints (I do this now with a slate tablet pc, but it just recently died for some reason) but Dell doesn't sell one yet. I'm looking at the tablet pcs from Gateway right now and will make a decision next month on which model to buy and for what price. I'd also like to know how much we can spend if we add it to our Stafford loans.

I'm actually heading to Tampa today to take a final look at apartments, turn in my financial aid paperwork, and to get my ID card.

Don't feel too bad. I am way behind as well. I still don't have fafsa done ( I have been having trouble getting all the information from my parents).

If you got everything done for FSU, all you will have to do is go back to where you got it all done and have them fill out your physical paper again (you can access this without your U#) and get copies of your lab work that you had done (USF has you send in copies to show you have done the stuff).

They have required notebook computers in the past. I don't know if they specified the type and make of computer like this year though. Other students on this forum have said that you don't have to buy the notebook they want you to buy, so just keep that in mund.

You still have a long time to complete the things that USF wants you to do because school doesn't start until August 13th :clap: The most important thing to get done now is the financial aid, the other stuff shouldn't take too long. Good luck :luck:

Ugh I am in the middle of apartment hunting in Tampa right now too... It's like some sort of ridiculous mind puzzle - you can't live too close to school because of the crime. Farther away and you can't manage the traffic - and you can't afford any place that is low crime and low traffic. :mad: Sorry, just venting my frustration to some (hopefully) sympathetic classmates!

I haven't started looking for a place...because I am still on the waitlist. Rel says I should get in soon, but it's a little premature to start looking for a place. Are you all leaning towards roommates or living alone?

Incidentally, I'll be in the Tampa airport tonight for a stopover...but no time to see the city or explore neighborhoods.

Ugh I am in the middle of apartment hunting in Tampa right now too... It's like some sort of ridiculous mind puzzle - you can't live too close to school because of the crime. Farther away and you can't manage the traffic - and you can't afford any place that is low crime and low traffic. :mad: Sorry, just venting my frustration to some (hopefully) sympathetic classmates!

You're right. It can be hard to find an ideal location. My recommendations are to look in Tampa Palms or South Tampa. Tampa Palms is where I live and I'm about 3 miles from campus. Even in morning traffic it takes me no more than 15 minutes, and it's only about 5 minutes without rush hour traffic to make it to campus. South Tampa is good too because the bad traffic in the morning on I-275 is going the other way (towards South Tampa), so it's probably only a 15-20 minute drive.

I'm seriously thinking about an apartment at Hidden Palms Apartments, which is only 2 miles from school and is $620/month for 650sqf. Anybody hear anything good, bad, neutral about this place? It seemed nice and the staff were nice, but apartmentratings.com gave it a bad rating. The apartment guide from USF's students had good reviews about it. Seems like apartmentratings.com is always negative, but I haven't used it much.

Here is a map: Map of 14413 Audubon Trce Tampa, FL 33613-2980, US

It's not located to the West of campus (said to be dangerous west of Bruce B. Downs and between Busch and Bears).

I have been apartment hunting as well. I live in Bradenton which is one hour away but I still like to have a room or an apartment to stay during the week. I looked into Carlton Arms, which is on Fletcher. I work with a doc that graduated from USF a few years back and that's where she lived. She really liked it there because it's quiet and they have mostly families and not loud undergrads.

I know everyone is looking around now for a place to live...are you guys planning to move in early or late july? I'm trying to decide when I'm going back to Tampa b/c I also need to find a place. I really want a roommate so I'm trying to wait for the roommate list we are suppose to be getting. Does anyone know anything about that? Are the majority of u guys going to get a roommate?

Also..I'm applying for my usf id card through the mail...has anyone done this? What has been the turn around time? Did anyone put something in the boxes that ask for course #,corse, instructor, etc.?

Also..I'm applying for my usf id card through the mail...has anyone done this? What has been the turn around time? Did anyone put something in the boxes that ask for course #,corse, instructor, etc.?

There is a detailed list of instructions (instruction sheet below) to follow that says to enter "COLLEGE OF MEDICINE STUDENT" for the course #. Here are the links...

Welcome Class of 2011
Computer Account and USF ID Instruction Sheet

They should have put that sheet at the very top of the welcome page as I went ahead and got my Oasis account before reading that, and it specifically says not to do that until you have gotten your USF ID. I'm not sure what the repercussions are of that, but it will get resolved eventually.

The computer systems at USF COM are separate from the undergrad system but also inter-related. Having gone 3 times to the USF ID office to get my ID, they explained that the systems have to be manually synchronized, so be prepared for a few bumps in the road this early in the game to get everything linked up right. I feel like I'm driving REL and the student affairs office crazy with questions and requests to get my U#, get my correct birthdate in the system, and getting my USF ID card. REL and the USF COM student affairs office/registrar/etc. have been super helpful and very patient! I'm sure by class start things should be resolved, and hopefully everyone won't have any issues like I am having. Good luck :D :luck: :luck:

Just a silly question, is our USF ID card supposed to say "Student" or "Medical Student"? I vaguely remember seeing people's ID during the interview or somewhere where they said "Medical Student". The USF ID card I got says "Student" and I was wondering if I'll need to go back to get a new one? :confused:

Here is what I came up with regarding apartments near or north of the school. I started with the apartment list from USF from previous years, and viewed some that I thought I'd like. I boiled those down to this list. I didn't look at apartments in south tampa. Anybody else got information like this they'd like to share?

I'm particularly interested in prices/sqf of places in south Tampa and people's experience with living there and commuting to school?

(Note: offset means $ taken out of the rent representing included utilities such as maybe power, water, or cable. Say they include water in the rent, I'd subtract $30 from the rent to get a cost for the apartment that can be compared with others. Closed in the comments means that the models were closed by the time I got there because I was running late, and didn't get to view the apartment)

Here is what I came up with regarding apartments near or north of the school. I started with the apartment list from USF from previous years, and viewed some that I thought I'd like. I boiled those down to this list. I didn't look at apartments in south tampa. Anybody else got information like this they'd like to share?

(Note: offset means $ taken out of the rent representing included utilities such as maybe power, water, or cable. Say they include water in the rent, I'd subtract $30 from the rent to get a cost for the apartment that can be compared with others. Closed in the comments means that the models were closed by the time I got there because I was running late, and didn't get to view the apartment)

Wow LTD, thanks alot for the info! :)

I am almost done with fafsa and I had a question. Does the amount that you have in total cash, savings, and checking accounts effect the amount of financial aid you can recieve? Do they look up how much money you have in your accounts or do they take your word for it?

I really need student loans to help pay for school but am worried that I won't be able to get any loans becuase of the money I have in my accounts. Any advice or help?

I am almost done with fafsa and I had a question. Does the amount that you have in total cash, savings, and checking accounts effect the amount of financial aid you can recieve? Do they look up how much money you have in your accounts or do they take your word for it?

I really need student loans to help pay for school but am worried that I won't be able to get any loans becuase of the money I have in my accounts. Any advice or help?

Federal loans aren't based on need; therefore even Bill Gates could get a Stafford loan if he wanted to goto medical school. The difference is that subsidized federal Stafford loans (where the government pays the interest while in school) are need based, but un-subsidized federal Stafford loans (where you either roll the interest back into the loan each month or pay the interest every month) are not. You'll be able to get all the federal loans you wish up to the budget amount ($39,211 for in-state, not living with parents) as long as you qualify (no felonies, if you are male you've registered with selective service, no federal loan defaults, etc).

Private loans, grad-plus loans, and others are generally credit-worthiness-based (require a credit check) or may have other criteria such as being need-based.

Here is more info from Sallie Mae: http://www.salliemae.com/get_student_loan/find_student_loan/grad/grad_student_loans/grad_student_loans.htm

Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong. It's probably best to call financial aid to get their views as I'm just some student guy offering free advice. :eek: :D :laugh: :lol:

Federal loans aren't based on need; therefore even Bill Gates could get a Stafford loan if he wanted to goto medical school. The difference is that subsidized federal Stafford loans (where the government pays the interest while in school) are need based, but un-subsidized federal Stafford loans (where you either roll the interest back into the loan each month or pay the interest every month) are not. You'll be able to get all the federal loans you wish up to the budget amount ($39,211 for in-state) as long as you qualify (no felonies, if you are male you've registered with selective service, no federal loan defaults, etc).

Private loans, grad-plus loans, and others are generally credit-worthiness-based (require a credit check) or may have other criteria such as being need-based.

Here is more info from Sallie Mae: http://www.salliemae.com/get_student_loan/find_student_loan/grad/grad_student_loans/grad_student_loans.htm

Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong. It's probably best to call financial aid to get their views as I'm just some student guy offering free advice. :eek: :D :laugh: :lol:

Thank you :thumbup: . You have been very helpful. I am planning on calling financial aid as well and asking them but I thought maybe some people here would know also.

I went to student health (at UCF, not USF) today to get my varicella titer and to get a physical exam and history. However, the physician refused to sign off on my physical exam unless I also proved to her that I had all my immunizations for USF. Anybody else encounter this? I thought the physical exam was just that, a physical exam, and didn't require the physician to have to also verify immunizations. (I have them all done except for the third hep-b injection and titer) :confused:

As far as living goes...
If you like to go out, or if you like to do something things other than go to campus and study, I would suggest living in south tampa. There's plenty to do down there and a good variety of restaurants to eat at. I lived in north tampa this year doing the medical masters program, and i'm planning on finding a place down in south tampa at the end of summer. It's nice being close to campus, but there's not much to do around here. South tampa to campus is a short drive (20 min all the way from harbour island) when you're coming in the morning, and most people end up living down there 3rd and 4th years for rotations. If you have a burning desire to be close to campus, Tampa Palms area is a decent place to live. I would suggest looking at Grand Reserve and Jade, there are a few people this year who live in one or the other and like it. I lived in The Preserve this year, off of fletcher, and it's decent too if you want to live in north tampa.

Is it normal for the hsc websites (eg. http://hsc.usf.edu), to always be down in the evenings and on weekends? Everytime I try to connect, they are almost always down unless it's during the middle of the day? :confused:

No, they're usually up. I know occasionally they go down for maintenance but not too often. If it were always down ion the weekends everyone would fail b/c that's when everyone is watching the recorded lectures...lol

No, they're usually up. I know occasionally they go down for maintenance but not too often. If it were always down ion the weekends everyone would fail b/c that's when everyone is watching the recorded lectures...lol

Hi Ben,

I know USF records lectures and there is no class attendance policy. I was wondering if you would guess/estimate the percentage of your class actually attends lectures live? Would you say most or 50/50? Any particular classes more than others that the students attend?

Hi Ben,

I know USF records lectures and there is no class attendance policy. I was wondering if you would guess/estimate the percentage of your class actually attends lectures live? Would you say most or 50/50? Any particular classes more than others that the students attend?

I went through 1st and 2nd year during the pre-recorded lecture days and I'd say 75% went to class 1st year and 50-60% went to class during 2nd year. These are rough estimates, but you get the idea that A LOT of people don't go. I personally went to most 1st year classes (except anatomy), but found that there is just way too mucn info to learn 2nd year to go to all of the classes. However, some people learn best by going to class and I know a lot of people who did well by going to class every single day.

Hi Ben,

Well during the beginning of the year attendance is really good, the majority of people do go. As the year goes by, some people just decide they can learn better watching the lectures at home (and you can speed them up to knock them out in less time), while others like the traditional style of learning. Some professors really hate that no one comes to class because they arent used to the whole recorded lecture thing. Attendance was pretty bad toward the end of anatomy and physio this year, but the class averages were fine, so everyone learned the information one way or another. There are plenty of mandatory things that get ya on campus though.

I know that I am one of those learners that do best by attending lecture. I just absorb the information better if I can hear somebody present the information and then review the material later on by myself or with a small group. I don't know if I'll even want to review the lectures as I have recorded undergrad lectures before, but never ever went back to them to review the material. I just reviewed slides and tried to digest the book to outline the information in a condensed format. I feel like we will be doing a lot of condensing and reviewing of the professor-provided slides because the books will be very difficult to read completely.

I know that I am one of those learners that do best by attending lecture. I just absorb the information better if I can hear somebody present the information and then review the material later on by myself or with a small group. I don't know if I'll even want to review the lectures as I have recorded undergrad lectures before, but never ever went back to them to review the material. I just reviewed slides and tried to digest the book to outline the information in a condensed format. I feel like we will be doing a lot of condensing and reviewing of the professor-provided slides because the books will be very difficult to read completely.

LTD..I'm also the type of person that would attend lecture rather than watch lectures on my own. Maybe every now and again I may skip a day of class and just watch the recording, but I'm planning on doing most of my lecture absorbing in actual lecture :)

LTD..I'm also the type of person that would attend lecture rather than watch lectures on my own. Maybe every now and again I may skip a day of class and just watch the recording, but I'm planning on doing most of my lecture absorbing in actual lecture :)

A lot of people go to lecture until they realize they are so busy and have neglected to do things they need to do outside of school. So they watch lectures at 1.3 or 1.5 times the speed and can get other things done. The recorded lecture are nice because sometimes you dont quite make it to that 8am lecture until 10am because you were exhausted from studying/staying out/whatever.

When I visited USF a couple of weeks ago I sat in on a class. In the class a couple of students had laptops and others had tablet pc's. The tablet pc's looked pretty neat so I decided to go to best buy and inquire about them. A member of the geek squad told me not to buy one because the swivel part of the computer is known to break easily on every model he has seen. He also said they are always giving users other types of problems as well. The laptop I have is 4.5 years old so I really need a new one... but I dont think I'll be getting a tablet pc. What do you guys think? Anyone heard something similar?

When I visited USF a couple of weeks ago I sat in on a class. In the class a couple of students had laptops and others had tablet pc's. The tablet pc's looked pretty neat so I decided to go to best buy and inquire about them. A member of the geek squad told me not to buy one because the swivel part of the computer is known to break easily on every model he has seen. He also said they are always giving users other types of problems as well. The laptop I have is 4.5 years old so I really need a new one... but I dont think I'll be getting a tablet pc. What do you guys think? Anyone heard something similar?

I have used a Slate Tablet PC (i.e. no attached keyboard, just a screen) for almost 2 years now and I just love it. It's lightweight and very functional for taking notes in class and browsing the web.

As for the swivel breaking on Convertible Tablet PCs (standard laptop that has a reversible screen that swivels, allowing the screen to lay flat and facing outwards like a slate), a couple of my friends have them and haven't had a problem. I plan on getting a Convertible Tablet PC for medical school as I would like to have a computer with an attached keyboard and have the Tablet PC functionality at the same time. Even though I love my slate, I've missed having an attached keyboard (even though I have an IR keyboard for my slate, it's tough to use as you have to prop the slate up against something while you are typing).

I just talked with technical support at USF, and they were stumped. I went ahead and disabled a bunch of protocols for my network, and the http://hsc.usf.edu website now works for me. I'll have to dig down deeper and see what fixed it exactly.

Edit: okay, under Windows Vista, if I disable the following on my network card...

• QoS Packet Scheduler
  • Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
  • Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

...I am now able to connect to http://hsc.usf.edu successfully! If either QoS or the Link-Layer protocols are enabled, I cannot connect under Windows Vista.

Anybody else seeing this under Windows Vista? I tried it on another computer running Windows XP and another running Windows 98 and they had no problems.