University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone choose MEDLOANS from the AAMC as their lender? The master promissory note was done online. Do we assume that they tell the info to USF or do we have to print this completed MPN and mail to USF ourselves?

also, I just bought a brand new condo near south tampa on the palm river. its like 5 minutes from all the hotspots downtown and 15 from USF. I'm looking for a roommate because its a 2br/2.5bath so if anyone is interested, let me know. i think it would be nice to live with a 1st year med student. rent is very reasonable.
here's a link if interested: http://kbhomes.com/Plan~PlanID~01250123-215.1183.aspx

With tuition at stake, I did not assume anything. I went with MEDLoans and printed everything. Nice place by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

So even though a laptop is required (and a color laser printer), and the package they recommend costs ~$2100, financial aid will only give us $1500 this year to cover it meaning we'll have to come up with $600 ourselves? Ugh... :thumbdown:

They officially required a laptop and color laser printer, but I can GUARANTEE you that you do NOT have to buy either. I would recommend a laptop since your lectures are on powerpoint and taking notes during class is helpful. But the printer is just a waste of money and you can print on anything. The printer is only if you want to print your lectures out (based on personal preference), and this printing can even be done for free on campus in the brand new student computer lounge. So the bottom line is get whatever computer you want, it doesn't even have to be a laptop, and get whatever printer you want too. They told us that a PDA was required for 3rd year and I think it's one of the biggest wastes of money I ever have seen since you can totally do well without one.

Very nice place, rajad! How far is that from school?

I can officially join the group...as I recently found out I'm off the waitlist!!! Finally, I can say with certainty that I am going to medical school!!! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)

I can officially join the group...as I recently found out I'm off the waitlist!!! Finally, I can say with certainty that I am going to medical school!!! :love:

CONGRATS!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

They officially required a laptop and color laser printer, but I can GUARANTEE you that you do NOT have to buy either. I would recommend a laptop since your lectures are on powerpoint and taking notes during class is helpful. But the printer is just a waste of money and you can print on anything. The printer is only if you want to print your lectures out (based on personal preference), and this printing can even be done for free on campus in the brand new student computer lounge. So the bottom line is get whatever computer you want, it doesn't even have to be a laptop, and get whatever printer you want too. They told us that a PDA was required for 3rd year and I think it's one of the biggest wastes of money I ever have seen since you can totally do well without one.

Agreed, I don't want to get the color laser-writer printer and I'm not sure why they want us to get it. I have a mono-laser that will work just fine and I plan on getting a tablet pc convertible so I don't have to print out slides in the first place. (I use a slate tablet pc right now).

On the PDA I have to disagree. I use a Motorola Q telephone/smart phone PDA. I use it extensively to keep track of my activities/calendar and contacts as I need to keep myself organized, especally once our schedules become more complicated. I also use it like an IPOD for music, and will use it to watch the lecture videos when those are available. A PDA has been a wonderful extension of my desktop computer, and I wouldn't want to live without one. Its usefullness just depends on the particular person.

Agreed, I don't want to get the color laser-writer printer and I'm not sure why they want us to get it. I have a mono-laser that will work just fine and I plan on getting a tablet pc convertible so I don't have to print out slides in the first place. (I use a slate tablet pc right now).

On the PDA I have to disagree. I use a Motorola Q telephone/smart phone PDA. I use it extensively to keep track of my activities/calendar and contacts as I need to keep myself organized, especally once our schedules become more complicated. I also use it like an IPOD for music, and will use it to watch the lecture videos when those are available. A PDA has been a wonderful extension of my desktop computer, and I wouldn't want to live without one. Its usefullness just depends on the particular person.

I am not sure what you are disagreeing about. I said nothing about its usefulness as an overpriced organizer. My statement was that it is not necessary to purchase for the intentions of the administration. You will see that during 3rd year you have to log every patient encounter you have. The administration's intent is for the PDA to be used for this purpose. However, it's not easy to do this during a busy day of clinical duties. It's much easier to log onto your laptop or desktop and then enter your patients. So, yes, it definitely is a waste of money to buy a PDA unless you want to pay hundreds of dollars to remind you when your next oil change is or when it's grandma's birthday.

Congrats 1_Accept_Away! :clap::hardy:

Now you are going to need to change your username. :D

Thanks!!! Technically, I already have an acceptance (from a DO school)...so I suppose I have not been 1 accept away for awhile now...but still, this is the acceptance I've been waiting for...very nervous and excited all at the same time. I feel like I have to catch up on so much of the information...starting with translating your computer tech talk. Definitely won't get the laser printer...but completely unsure about the computer.

I am not sure what you are disagreeing about. I said nothing about its usefulness as an overpriced organizer. My statement was that it is not necessary to purchase for the intentions of the administration. You will see that during 3rd year you have to log every patient encounter you have. The administration's intent is for the PDA to be used for this purpose. However, it's not easy to do this during a busy day of clinical duties. It's much easier to log onto your laptop or desktop and then enter your patients. So, yes, it definitely is a waste of money to buy a PDA unless you want to pay hundreds of dollars to remind you when your next oil change is or when it's grandma's birthday.

1. While it a printer is "required" you dont really need it as previously noted.
2. I think I heard that the PDA will no longer be required for year 3.

CONGRATS!!!! Now you can officially join in on the USF fun!!!:thumbup::D

Congratulations! :clap::clap::clap:

Members don't see this ad :)

If you have mobile internet access and the PDA/Smartphone has Pocket Outlook, you can synchronize your Exchnage account directly (wirelessly) to the phone. I just took my phone to the computer support people and let them set that up for me. It is very nice to not have to use a computer anywhere just for email.

If you have mobile internet access and the PDA/Smartphone has Pocket Outlook, you can synchronize your Exchnage account directly (wirelessly) to the phone. I just took my phone to the computer support people and let them set that up for me. It is very nice to not have to use a computer anywhere just for email.

That would be nice! Even though I'm a computer geek sometimes, I really like stuff to "just work" and love it when it simplifies life rather than complicates it. I'll have to swing by IT support sometime next month and see if they can configure my phone and laptop at the same time.

Not a med student, but figured I'd drop in and say hello:)

I'll be a PhD student at USF next year, working at Moffitt. Will be living in the Temple Terrace area (at Carlton Arms - which I've heard mention of before). Seems like a great place!

For Soccer and others accepted off the waitlist:

I'm trying to establish my USF ID# and am following the instructions, but it says my ID and/or PIN are invalid. I haven't received my acceptance packet and/or returned the acceptance form, so I think I may not be in the system yet. Did anyone else have this problem?

I'm leaning towards finding a place in South Tampa...do any of the current and incoming students have any suggestions of nice apartment complexes and/or condo buildings to rent from?

I'm leaning towards finding a place in South Tampa...do any of the current and incoming students have any suggestions of nice apartment complexes and/or condo buildings to rent from?

cash

I'm trying to establish my USF ID# and am following the instructions, but it says my ID and/or PIN are invalid. I haven't received my acceptance packet and/or returned the acceptance form, so I think I may not be in the system yet. Did anyone else have this problem?

Let me get back with you later this evening after church. I believe you already have USF U-ID, and I can PM it to you later this evening. That should get everything else moving.

Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,

As many of you know, after our recent LCME reaccreditation site visit, Dr. Gretchen Koehler was promoted to Assistant Dean for Recruitment and Retention with oversight responsibility for the Office of Admissions and the Office of Student Diversity and Enrichment – as well maintaining a close eye on all LCME related matters. Concomitant with this appointment and Carolyn Nicolosi’s retirement from the Office of Student Affairs, Dr. Steven Specter will continue in his role as Associate Dean for Student Affairs working closely with Danielle Schutz, but no longer overseeing the Office of Admissions.

In addition to these changes, our Director of Admissions for the past 6 years, “REL” Larkin, has submitted his resignation effective June 28, 2007. I would like to thank REL for his dedication and leadership. We will miss him and wish him well in his future endeavors. The decision as to when and whether to fill the director of admission’s position will be carefully evaluated over the course of the next few months. In the meantime, Dr. Koehler will assume direct supervision and leadership for the Office of Admissions.

Thank you in advance for your support as we navigate these new roles and responsibilities. As always, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Bryan Bognar

Is REL really leaving? Is this true?

I got this email today in my usf health account. I was wondering if anyone knew this to be true. REL is this true?

RAJ...where is your apt in south tampa exactly...I was in the master's program this past year and I am currently looking for a place to live in south tampa, just wondering where your place was? thanks

i searched south tampa but its fairly expensive (my real estate agent said you can't find anything below 900-1000 per month). i ended up buying a brand new 2bedroom/2ba condo in south tampa but it was a steal. so im renting a room out at 650 per month + 1/2 utilities.

The cheapest I found near school (2 miles away by car, that felt like you'd be safe rather than mugged or run over by a police/fire truck) was $620/month for a single apartment.

Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,

As many of you know, after our recent LCME reaccreditation site visit, Dr. Gretchen Koehler was promoted to Assistant Dean for Recruitment and Retention with oversight responsibility for the Office of Admissions and the Office of Student Diversity and Enrichment – as well maintaining a close eye on all LCME related matters. Concomitant with this appointment and Carolyn Nicolosi’s retirement from the Office of Student Affairs, Dr. Steven Specter will continue in his role as Associate Dean for Student Affairs working closely with Danielle Schutz, but no longer overseeing the Office of Admissions.

In addition to these changes, our Director of Admissions for the past 6 years, “REL” Larkin, has submitted his resignation effective June 28, 2007. I would like to thank REL for his dedication and leadership. We will miss him and wish him well in his future endeavors. The decision as to when and whether to fill the director of admission’s position will be carefully evaluated over the course of the next few months. In the meantime, Dr. Koehler will assume direct supervision and leadership for the Office of Admissions.

Thank you in advance for your support as we navigate these new roles and responsibilities. As always, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Bryan Bognar

Is REL really leaving? Is this true?

This is very sad. I don't know how much the Director of Admissions has to do with students once they are matriculated, so perhaps it won't affect us. I can say that the next Director of Admission has some very big shoes to fill. One of the reasons that USF quickly rose to the top of my list was REL Larkin. He was always so honest, forthcoming and approachable...a rarity in the admissions process...I personally felt that if the gatekeeper - i.e. Director of Admissions - was so pleasant and forthcoming that likewise the school would share the same fostering attitude. USF was lucky to have him. Good luck to REL in his future endeavors.

Oops! I just saw this! I am sorry but I don't know if I can help you. I was already a student at USF so I had established a USF ID# a long time ago. I know when I was trying to access the immunization website (the one where you have to put in your U#), it didn't work until I had turned in my letter saying I accepted the seat at the school. I hope REL was able to help you out.

This is very sad. I don't know how much the Director of Admissions has to do with students once they are matriculated, so perhaps it won't affect us. I can say that the next Director of Admission has some very big shoes to fill. One of the reasons that USF quickly rose to the top of my list was REL Larkin. He was always so honest, forthcoming and approachable...a rarity in the admissions process...I personally felt that if the gatekeeper - i.e. Director of Admissions - was so pleasant and forthcoming that likewise the school would share the same fostering attitude. USF was lucky to have him. Good luck to REL in his future endeavors.

I was also saddened to hear that REL would be leaving. I wish him luck and happiness for the future!

REL good luck with all of your future plans!!! Also thanks so much for all the help you have provided during this application cycle. :)

REL good luck with all of your future plans!!! Also thanks so much for all the help you have provided during this application cycle. :)

Thank you for all of your wishes and support. It was a difficult decision to depart USF COM. I know that you will get outstanding support from Student Affairs in the MD Program and that my departure will allow others to grow.

As for me, I won't be leaving Florida and will continue to be available to medical school applicants and students. I am making a lateral move to become the Director of Admissions at the new UCF MD Program in Orlando.

As for me, I won't be leaving Florida and will continue to be available to medical school applicants and students. I am making a lateral move to become the Director of Admissions at the new UCF MD Program in Orlando.

Wow, looks like we'll be switching schools! (I'm at UCF now) :laugh:

UCF COM is lucky to be getting a well-seasoned, well-liked, and great asset to help jump-start the new medical school at UCF! :luck::luck::luck:

We will miss REL as he is a huge reason why many students chose USF.

We will miss REL as he is a huge reason why many students chose USF.

Yes, no doubt. I know I made the decision to go to USF among other things after I talked to REL several times, and he also called me at home to make sure I didn't have any questions or concerns. None of the other programs showed this kind of interest in me as a prospective student.
We certainly wish him the best of luck. UCF got the best guy in the state now.

Hi, I got off the waitlist not too long ago and I feel like I am playing catch-up...trying to find a place, which I am finding next to impossible...had trouble getting my USF ID #...and now I am finally turning to financial aid. I filled out my FAFSA awhile ago and I know the USF welcome website said we should sign our promissory notes by June 1. However, I wasn't accepted until after June 1...my question is did you receive something in the mail like an award letter? Because I haven't received anything yet from financial aid. Thanks!

Hi, I got off the waitlist not too long ago and I feel like I am playing catch-up...trying to find a place, which I am finding next to impossible...had trouble getting my USF ID #...and now I am finally turning to financial aid. I filled out my FAFSA awhile ago and I know the USF welcome website said we should sign our promissory notes by June 1. However, I wasn't accepted until after June 1...my question is did you receive something in the mail like an award letter? Because I haven't received anything yet from financial aid. Thanks!

does anyone know how that 12-pac roommate survery works?

I don't think I ever got this. Did someone email it to you? Has anyone received any emails from USFCOM this summer?

So, I entered all my immunizartion information online weeks ago and mailed my documentation, but the site still has not updated the verification of any of my records. Has anyone had their information verified?

I don't think I ever got this. Did someone email it to you? Has anyone received any emails from USFCOM this summer?

yea, they're sent to the email address you specified in AMCAS. most of the emails have been about housing. the sender's name is something like usfadmissions

So, I entered all my immunizartion information online weeks ago and mailed my documentation, but the site still has not updated the verification of any of my records. Has anyone had their information verified?

I called them a day or two ago to ask about this. They told me that they haven't had time to update the form online yet but they are planning on doing it by the end of next week. It sounds like they haven't updated anyones immunizations yet.

yea, they're sent to the email address you specified in AMCAS. most of the emails have been about housing. the sender's name is something like usfadmissions

Maybe it's becuase I'm already in Tampa? Has anyone living in Tampa received these emails? I know my AMCAS email address is working. Hmmm...

Maybe it's becuase I'm already in Tampa? Has anyone living in Tampa received these emails? I know my AMCAS email address is working. Hmmm...

I live in Tampa and have been recieving the emails. You might want to call school and make sure your email address is on the mailing list. They might have accidently left it off.

Let me get back with you later this evening after church. I believe you already have USF U-ID, and I can PM it to you later this evening. That should get everything else moving.

Awww. I am so sad about this. I really wish UCF was opening for 2008. Bummer. :(

I wanted to do an unoffical poll for those buying new computers for USF:

1. Are you getting the school-recommended laptop?
2. If not, what computer are you getting? Why?

I'm not sure really what capabilities I need for school from the Dell recommended computer...and whether I should get the Dell pc to make my life easier.

I'm not sure really what capabilities I need for school from the Dell recommended computer...and whether I should get the Dell pc to make my life easier.

I am not, mostly because I love my tablet PC and am getting a new one.

The recommended laptop seems to be a good deal. If you do not get that one, you may want to stick with Dell as the computer staff at USF are a certified repair center so they can fix it under warranty. If you do get the recommended laptop, I believe they will loan you an identical machine while they fix yours.

If you are not good with computers, the computer staff will better be able to serve you if you stick with their recommendations.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

I just got my new Toshiba Portege or however you spell it. It's actually too high tech for me, but I'm loving figuring it out. It is a really sweet computer - even though it practically cost me my soul :)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a convertible tablet PC. I'd like to get the one Dell is going to release later this fall, but it'll be too late for us. I'd like to keep at or below the budget of the laptop they are suggesting.