University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know how to fix mine yet :(. I have windows 98. Sometimes I can connect to the website but most of the times I can't.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried going to your control panel, network connections, right-click your network card, select properties, and then un-checking "QoS Packet Scheduler"?

xp_qos.jpg

In order for me to un check it I have to uninstall it. Is that okay? Not a big computer person in case you can't tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
OKay I went ahead and unistalled it and now I have no problem. Amazing!!! Thanks LTD!

Shouldn't be a problem to remove it. You can always add it back later on; and I'll guarantee that you'll never need to do that as QoS is completely unnecessary.

To those who are already attending USF, and to those who have already painstakingly figured out their own budgets...how much more than the USF budget did you spend in your first year? USF Financial Aid calculates our budget at $39,211 but it seems like we'll need to spend more like $50,000 (to cover the entire 12 months of the year, whereas the budget only figures 40 weeks) when all is said and done. Any thoughts?

To those who are already attending USF, and to those who have already painstakingly figured out their own budgets...how much more than the USF budget did you spend in your first year? USF Financial Aid calculates our budget at $39,211 but it seems like we'll need to spend more like $50,000 (to cover the entire 12 months of the year, whereas the budget only figures 40 weeks) when all is said and done. Any thoughts?

yeah I'm in the middle of trying to figure out my budget as well. Question...If i recieve an outside scholarship and a USF scholarship and the total exceeds $39,211 (the budget) will I get the money that is left over or will it be taken by the school..funded back to outside scholarship? Question 2...If I recieve an outside scholarship that meets the budget can I still take out a loan for other expenses i incur?

When I visited the school I heard one of the Financial Aid representatives say that we were expected to earn some money during our breaks. She said that many students take on temporary research positions with the school to cover the gaps. (I hope those positons pay well...yikes!)

yeah I'm in the middle of trying to figure out my budget as well. Question...If i recieve an outside scholarship and a USF scholarship and the total exceeds $39,211 (the budget) will I get the money that is left over or will it be taken by the school..funded back to outside scholarship? Question 2...If I recieve an outside scholarship that meets the budget can I still take out a loan for other expenses i incur?

Any federal loans you get will not exceed your school-mandated budget (i.e. Cost of Attendance) of $39,211 (assuming you are in-state and not living with parents). Any scholarships you get will decrease your federal stafford loan, so your total aid income cannot exceed $39,211 as they don't want to allow you to borrow more than you are expected to need. This is good in that your debt will be less than many of us who have to borrow the entire $39,211 each year.

Let's say you get a $10,000 scholarship from somewhere. The maximum you can borrow via Federal Stafford is $29,211 for that year.

If you need to exceed the budget, you'll need to get consumer loans or convince somebody to loan you money outside of the student loan programs.

Anybody, correct me if I'm wrong, please!

Thanks LTD :) I talked to someone in financial aid this morning and they said the exact same thing. The only thing is that the money for my scholarship will not reach the school til september. I have to apply for loans as if I'm not receiving any scholarships and the fin aid office will adjust the amount of loan money I'm awarded as other monies come in. So much for tying to make a profit.

Also tomorrow I think is supposed to be the day where we put our orders in for the laptops through the school. Is anyone doing this? I plan on getting a nice notebook of my own and calling it a day. I don't think I'm gonna do the tablet pc thing bc I like having my notes in my hand and writing on them that way.
LTD...QUESTION: when u write ur notes on the tablet pc can u print them with the notations on them?

Also tomorrow I think is supposed to be the day where we put our orders in for the laptops through the school. Is anyone doing this? I plan on getting a nice notebook of my own and calling it a day. I don't think I'm gonna do the tablet pc thing bc I like having my notes in my hand and writing on them that way.
LTD...QUESTION: when u write ur notes on the tablet pc can u print them with the notations on them?
June 1 is the first day we can put in our laptop order. If we don't want the bundle they offer, we can still spend up to the amount of the preset bundle and add it to our student loan, thereby increasing the budget by the amount of the receipts we can produce to financial aid.

Yes; you can print out the notes with the writing you added with your electronic pen. One major benefit is that if you backup your files online, you'll never lose your notes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I applied for my USF ID card through the mail and was emailed my library card # and my USF #. Is the USF # the same as the U-#?:confused: What numbers appear on the actual USF ID card? I wanted to get my email account going and get my HSCNET computer account and my NET ID, but i'm a little confused which numbers are which :oops: Any thoughts...

Hey guys I applied for my USF ID card through the mail and was emailed my library card # and my USF #. Is the USF # the same as the U-#?:confused: What numbers appear on the actual USF ID card? I wanted to get my email account going and get my HSCNET computer account and my NET ID, but i'm a little confused which numbers are which :oops: Any thoughts...

I just graduated from USF and so I might be able to help out a bit. I got my USF ID card four years ago when I first started school here so they did things differently. From what I understand, they now put your U# on the ID card itself. The U# is 8 numbers long and the U should be preceding it. The library number is pretty long. If the USF# is 8 numbers long, my bet is that this is the same as the U#. You can always call school and ask. I guess I wasn't as helpful as I thought I would have been :laugh:

Your USF ID Card will have these numbers ...

• U****-****, your "U" number which is necessary to sign-up for other accounts and to log into other systems. Follow directions here:
  • 640013000*******, this is necessary to apply for an HSCNET computer account. The process to get this account takes a few days after you apply as it has to be manually approved by USF COM. Just follow the directions given here.
  • 205-000-*******, not sure what this number is

Your email account will be provided after you finish signing up for the HSCNET computer account. It will be like... "[email protected]", as opposed to the regular USF accounts which are like "[email protected]".

Your USF ID Card will have these numbers ...

• U****-****, your "U" number which is necessary to sign-up for other accounts and to log into other systems. Follow directions here:
  • 640013000*******, this is necessary to apply for an HSCNET computer account. The process to get this account takes a few days after you apply as it has to be manually approved by USF COM. Just follow the directions given here.
  • 205-000-*******, not sure what this number is

Your email account will be provided after you finish signing up for the HSCNET computer account. It will be like... "[email protected]", as opposed to the regular USF accounts which are like "[email protected]".

Much more helpful then me! I have the old ID card that does not have the same things on it as you guys who are getting the newer one.

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate all the help :)

Here is the price for the laptop USF configured for us as required (though the price might vary from week to week, and I added some small things like a 9-cell batter [longer life], bluetooth, better AC adapter, Vista Ultimate instead of Vista Business, etc). They haven't told us the exact price as of yet, but this should give us an idea. The color laser printer isn't shown here, but is around USD$275 through USF. Also I didn't include Office 2007 (Powerpoint, Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote) which is think is around USD$100 or so for students...

Description
Latitude D620

SYSTEM COMPONENTS (System with Extras I added)
  • Latitude D620 Qty 1
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 667Mhz Dual Core, Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate, with media Unit Price $2,046.00
  • Catalog Number: 23 T1671
  • Module Description Show Details
  • Latitude D620 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 667Mhz Dual Core
  • Operating Systems Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate, with media [Just extra stuff on top of Vista Business, $30 more]
  • LCDs 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD Panel [Better LCD Panel]
  • Memory 2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
  • Internal Keyboard Internal English Keyboard
  • Graphics 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache™
  • Hard Drives 80GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM
  • Touchpad Options Standard Touchpad
  • Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
  • Bluetooth Dell Wireless® 350 Bluetooth Module for Vista [Bluetooth wireless sync capability with cell phones and PDAs]
  • AC Adapter 90W A/C Adapter [Better AC adapter to charge laptop faster while computer is on]
  • Module Bay Devices 8X DVD+/-RW w/ Roxio Creator Dell Edition Digital Media for Vista Ultimate
  • Wireless LAN (802.11) Dell Wireless™ 1390 802.11g Mini Card
  • Resource CD Resource DVD - Contains Diagnostics and Drivers for Vista
  • Batteries 9 Cell Primary Battery [Bigger battery means more battery life than standard 6 cell battery]
  • Hardware Support Services 4 Year Limited Warranty plus 4 Year NBD On-Site Service
  • File System NTFS File System for all Operating Systems
  • Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
  • OS Labels Vista Premium Label

Sub-Total:$2,046.00

12% off systems priced $1600 and up with 3/4 yr At-Home service: $245.52

Total Price: $1,800.48
Shipping & Handling: $69.00

==============
SYSTEM COMPONENTS (Base System)
  • Latitude D620 Qty 1
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 667Mhz Dual Core, Genuine Windows Vista™ Business, with media Unit Price $1,899.00
  • Catalog Number: 23 T1671
  • Module Description Show Details
  • Latitude D620 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 667Mhz Dual Core
  • Operating Systems Genuine Windows Vista™ Business, with media
  • LCDs 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel
  • Memory 2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
  • Internal Keyboard Internal English Keyboard
  • Graphics 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache™
  • Hard Drives 80GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM
  • Touchpad Options Standard Touchpad
  • Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
  • AC Adapter 65W A/C Adapter
  • Module Bay Devices 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™ for Vista Basic, Business
  • Wireless LAN (802.11) Dell Wireless™ 1390 802.11g Mini Card
  • Resource CD Resource DVD - Contains Diagnostics and Drivers for Vista
  • Batteries 6 Cell Primary Battery
  • Hardware Support Services 4 Year Limited Warranty plus 4 Year NBD On-Site Service
  • File System NTFS File System for all Operating Systems
  • Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
  • OS Labels Vista Premium Label

Sub-Total:$1,899.00

12% off systems priced $1600 and up with 3/4 yr At-Home service: $227.88

Total Price: $1,671.12
Shipping & Handling: $69.00

I asked the computer store at USF for an exact quote, and they said they'd get back to me.

Is anyone planning on getting their computer through the school? Those of you opting for other computers...what types are you looking into? I seardched the Dell website the other day and it said that the Latitude D620 was the no longer being manufactured.

From www.dell.com
"Looking for the Latitude D620?

We are sorry. The product you are looking for is no longer available. Please have a look at Latitude D630 which is the latest equivalent to the D620."

Why would we be getting an outdated model?

Also is there a "looking for a roommate" list circulating somewhere?

Is anyone planning on getting their computer through the school? Those of you opting for other computers...what types are you looking into? I seardched the Dell website the other day and it said that the Latitude D620 was the no longer being manufactured.

From www.dell.com
"Looking for the Latitude D620?

We are sorry. The product you are looking for is no longer available. Please have a look at Latitude D630 which is the latest equivalent to the D620."

Why would we be getting an outdated model?

Also is there a "looking for a roommate" list circulating somewhere?

Mmmm, that's strange. If I go through the USF Computer Store students link (requires login), it takes me to the Dell Premier page which allows you to configure/customize the D620.

My plans are to take whatever the final price of the USF-specified package is and then go out and try to get a better deal on a convertible-tablet, unless USF is able to get an awesome deal through Dell.

Here is a list of courses that we are all enrolled in when you are able to log into Blackboard...

Courses in which you are enrolled:
* BMS5005.712M07: Profs of Med:Fndtns-Doctoring
* BMS5007.712M07: The Profession of Medicine
* BMS5190.716M07: Imaging for Anatomy
* BMS6020.715M07: Medical Neuroscience
* BMS6100.714M07: Anatomy
* BMS6206.713M07: Molecular Medicine
* BMS6206R.719M07: Molecular Medicine Remediation
* BMS6500.714M07: Physiology
* BMS6821.713M07: Medical Ethics & Humanities
* BMS6830A.717M07: Physical Diagnosis I
* BMS6840.715M07: Intro to Behavioral Medicine
* BMS6920.717M07: Colloquium - Years I & II
* BMS6941.716M07: Longitudinal Clin Experience

Here are the descriptions of the courses for year 1.

Here is the overview schedule of classes over all four years.

I posted this as it kinda hit me that this wasn't a dream anymore, but we are actually going to USF COM!!! :eek::scared::clap::biglove:

The system shows 111 people enrolled. Not sure what that means exactly with respect to repeat students, those who deferred, people on wait-lists, etc.

Mmmm, that's strange. If I go through the USF Computer Store students link (requires login), it takes me to the Dell Premier page which allows you to configure/customize the D620.

My plans are to take whatever the final price of the USF-specified package is and then go out and try to get a better deal on a convertible-tablet, unless USF is able to get an awesome deal through Dell.

So basically as long as we stay within the budget of the USF proposed computer we can add our computer expenses to the oveall budget?

LifetimeDoc: June 1 is the first day we can put in our laptop order. If we don't want the bundle they offer, we can still spend up to the amount of the preset bundle and add it to our student loan, thereby increasing the budget by the amount of the receipts we can produce to financial aid.
Okay I see that here...good deal :thumbup:

So basically as long as we stay within the budget of the USF proposed computer we can add our computer expenses to the oveall budget?

Yeah, from what financial aid told me. They haven't posted how much that will be however, but it's looking like it will be around about $2000 or something like that.

Is this the first year they are requiring a laptop? I liked what FSU showed us, a standard tablet convertible PC decked out with everything you'd want, and it was included in the tuition cost. Would probably be better if we were all on the same model computer, but variety is nice too.

Is this the first year they are requiring a laptop? I liked what FSU showed us, a standard tablet convertible PC decked out with everything you'd want, and it was included in the tuition cost. Would probably be better if we were all on the same model computer, but variety is nice too.

I liked the computer FSU students were getting as well. I wonder how much that one runs for?..and what type it is? Could you imagine already being in school? <YIKES!!!> I think I'm gonna do some computer browsing at a couple stores and websites and see what package prices I come up with.

BTW: Which computer companies have the best tablet pc's? How much are the good ones typically? I kinda like the idea of writng on the screen...maybe I can go half on one with my parents:rolleyes:

I liked the computer FSU students were getting as well. I wonder how much that one runs for?..and what type it is? Could you imagine already being in school? <YIKES!!!> I think I'm gonna do some computer browsing at a couple stores and websites and see what package prices I come up with.

I believe it was a Toshiba Portégé M400, convertible tablet PC.

Yeah, they start the real classes tomorrow as last week was their orientation. I've got a friend chomping at the bit to get off the wait-list, and tonight is the last possible moment. :luck:

BTW: Which computer companies have the best tablet pc's? How much are the good ones typically? I kinda like the idea of writng on the screen...maybe I can go half on one with my parents:rolleyes:

I'd recommend to anyone to get a convertible tablet PC, and not a slate tablet PC unless they have used a tablet before. A convertible tablet PC is just like a regular laptop and if you don't like the tablet feature, you just don't have to use it. I slate tablet PC is just the screen and no attached keyboard; nice and light, but somewhat limited. I have a slate tablet PC right now and I love it, but I think I'll go with a convertible for med school as I miss not having the keyboard attached.

I heard they mail us information as well. Is this correct?

I haven't a clue. In the past, they'd post a word document with an order form for scrubs/lab coats/bumper stickers/etc. for new students to get stuff for cheap. I'd doubt that 12-pac would snail-mail us stuff.

BTW: are we supposed to send final transcripts to USF COM? Do we have to send in all transcripts from all college (like we did for AMCAS), or just send in our most recent (being non-trad, it's a pain to get together 5 transcripts :laugh:),

I love this thread. You guys are so helpful - looking forward to meeting you all!:D

Hey guys.

With respect to the budget between first and second year, many of my classmates did the research program and were paid during this seven week break. While not a huge amount, it is usually enough to cover the rent.

Just a word on computers- the later you order them, the later they come in. Unless they have fixed this, some people were picking up during POM.

If you can get your parking pass in advance or order online, it is helpful to do that.

Is the computer considered a tax deductible expense ? I know the books and tuition are but not sure about the laptop. I would think since it is a required item for education it should be.
Thanks

Hey guys.

With respect to the budget between first and second year, many of my classmates did the research program and were paid during this seven week break. While not a huge amount, it is usually enough to cover the rent.

Just a word on computers- the later you order them, the later they come in. Unless they have fixed this, some people were picking up during POM.

If you can get your parking pass in advance or order online, it is helpful to do that.

Was there any benefit to getting the recommended laptop, or do most people just get the computer that fits their needs better?

Was there any benefit to getting the recommended laptop, or do most people just get the computer that fits their needs better?

Is anyone else thinking of getting a macbook?

I dunno about a Macintosh. Can they synchronize with Windows-based PDAs? I know you can dual-boot Windows XP/Vista on the new Macintosh desktop/laptops, but I don't want to have to do that.

I am assuming that if you boot up a macbook with windows xp, you would be able to synchronize it with your PDA. You are right that it can be a hassle to have to reboot your computer every time you want to do that.

Another question I have is that why do we need a dedicated 256 mb video card? Is anyone aware of any programs that we will be using that will require such high end capacity?

I am assuming that if you boot up a macbook with windows xp, you would be able to synchronize it with your PDA. You are right that it can be a hassle to have to reboot your computer every time you want to do that.

Another question I have is that why do we need a dedicated 256 mb video card? Is anyone aware of any programs that we will be using that will require such high end capacity?

If you get a mac, definitely dual boot with xp because you'll need to boot into xp to be able to stream the lectures online. For some odd reason, using windows media player on the Mac OS, you have to load the complete video to be able to watch them, so you cant fast forward till the whole thing loads.

I believe the video card is just for lectures and what not. You dont need a 256 video card, it's just the way they configured them. I got by fine this year with a standard 128mb video card. And you dont need to order from the school if you dont want. You can get by fine using a laptop at half the price, or could configure your own through another manufacturer for that much.

In my experience, it's much better to have a video card with memory separate from the system memory. You get better video performance and you don't lose system memory to the video card. The dedicated video is also useful for games (we'll have time for those?:laugh:).

I'm seriously thinking about an apartment at Hidden Palms Apartments, which is only 2 miles from school and is $620/month for 650sqf. Anybody hear anything good, bad, neutral about this place? It seemed nice and the staff were nice, but apartmentratings.com gave it a bad rating. The apartment guide from USF's students had good reviews about it. Seems like apartmentratings.com is always negative, but I haven't used it much.

Here is a map: Map of 14413 Audubon Trce Tampa, FL 33613-2980, US

It's not located to the West of campus (said to be dangerous west of Bruce B. Downs and between Busch and Bears).

Not sure if you have had a response for this yet, but that is a pretty low rent area for undergrads. You might look a little further north on Bruce B Downs. Or go south to Temple Terrace Blvd/Bullard (same street).

Here are a few of my findings for computers:

First you can get any computer to work at USF. I have had the secure remote working just fine for 3 months.

Second, if you need to buy Office 2007 (required) do it through USF as you can get every program included for less than $90.

Third, I have recieved emails fron financial aid about budgets for computers. You can only get $1500 maximum in extra loans regardless of what you get and you must supply a reciept from your purchase after you accepted your seat in class.

Four, and finally, on tablets. I have had one for the last three years and it still works well. It is has not had any serious problems. I tried the one from HP and returned it. If you are getting a tablet, be sure to get one with an Active Digitizer and not just a touch screen. The touch screen is terrible at recording just about anything. There are several good manufacturers: Gateway, Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo and Fujitsu are the most common good ones. Stay away from the HP that is out, you will get frustrated! However, a good tablet will run about $2000. But, you can expect it to last for at least three years (if you aren't into serious gaming).

One last note, the computer support people at USF COM are very good about customer service. My advice is to stop in if you can and they will fix what ails you on the spot!

Third, I have recieved emails fron financial aid about budgets for computers. You can only get $1500 maximum in extra loans regardless of what you get and you must supply a reciept from your purchase after you accepted your seat in class.

So even though a laptop is required (and a color laser printer), and the package they recommend costs ~$2100, financial aid will only give us $1500 this year to cover it meaning we'll have to come up with $600 ourselves? Ugh... :thumbdown:

Do you guys work in computers? Or am I totally dumb? I plan on buying a laptop but all this talk seems very high-tech to me.:confused:

Stay away from the HP that is out, you will get frustrated!

Although I just confessed that computer talk scares me, I just wanted to say that HP also has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I broke my brand-new Compaq laptap a year ago. Compaq and HP have the same customer service...and it was easy to get them to take the computer from me, but to get it fixed and back was a totally different story. After I sent in my computer, the called me to tell me that the repairs were not covered by warranty and that I would have to pay $800 and to give them my credit card number. I refused and I kept asking them for a invoice of the estimated repairs to provide to my insurance company...they refused saying that I would have to give them a credit card number and authorize the repairs first and then AFTER all it was said and done they would provide an written invoice/estimate. I kept calling and calling - trying to explain how insurance works...They were downright rude and hung up on me - and generally, incapable of understanding a very basic concept of invoice and repair estimates. It was not unusual to be on hold for over a half hour to get someone in India on the phone. I was constantly told that even though I called the main 1-800 customer service department, I would have to be re-routed to a different dept. Finally, they sent my computer back and it was in worse shape than ever...the motherboard needed repair...they failed to put the computer back together and use the mismatched screws. Horrible all around! Will never buy HP or Compaq again.

Four, and finally, on tablets. I have had one for the last three years and it still works well. It is has not had any serious problems. I tried the one from HP and returned it. If you are getting a tablet, be sure to get one with an Active Digitizer and not just a touch screen. The touch screen is terrible at recording just about anything. There are several good manufacturers: Gateway, Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo and Fujitsu are the most common good ones. Stay away from the HP that is out, you will get frustrated! However, a good tablet will run about $2000. But, you can expect it to last for at least three years (if you aren't into serious gaming).

I currently have a Fujitsu Slate Tablet-PC (no attached keyboard), but it mysteriously died a week or two ago. I wonder if the USF IS folks would look at it and maybe repair it for a low fee? If not, I'll probably go with either a Gateway or Toshiba tablet PC if I can swing the money past what financial aid will pay. I'd like to get the new Dell Tablet PC coming out (it'll be their first one), but it won't be ready until at least October, and I don't want to be fooling with new computer hardware once med school starts.

I've been a network consultant for too long.

Regarding computer repairs at USF. They are (or are about to be) able to repair Dells onsite under warranty. I doubt they will fix most real hardware problems on any other laptop.

I would caution against the widescreen for tablets especially if it is anything less than 14". The display is very narrow when in portrait mode. Unless you like writing in landscape mode!

You don't really need a $2100 laptop to last you four years. I had one in undergrad that I used for 5 years, cost me $1300. I bought a cheap toshiba satellite last year because I wanted something a little faster for awhile and it was only $500, has a centrino duo processor, and a gig of ram, 80gb HD, and weighs less than 5lbs. It's specs are more than enough to run anything you'll need at usf, i had no problems last year taking all the first year classes. There seem to be plenty of people on here that know computers well, so ask for help in choosing another computer if you dont want to buy the dell.

did anyone choose MEDLOANS from the AAMC as their lender? The master promissory note was done online. Do we assume that they tell the info to USF or do we have to print this completed MPN and mail to USF ourselves?