University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am wearing a pretty skirt and a blouse. And heels - but my heels are surprisingly comfortable. Is it sad that I have my first day of school outfit picked out already? Feels a little like high school...:rolleyes:

That's exactly what I am wearing. My wife doesn't know it yet. Haha, sorry could not resist. :laugh::laugh:

On a more serious note, does anyone know where will the Friday FA orientation be held?

Members don't see this ad.

These links work for me, but when I try to navigate to the survival guide via usfhealth and 12pac websites i don't see where it is. Nonetheless thanks LTD...ur always on top of things.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how many BRS books are there? Or better yet, which ones do we need to buy?
Thanks

Lippencotts Biochemistry is a good one. BRS anatomy (tons of clinical questions come from this), physiology (or the costanza physiology). That's all i used last year and am going to use this year too.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone here not bought books already? I think there might be a list on the Survival Guide PDF but I figured they will really tell us everything we need to do, know, and get for our upcoming medical classes during our 3 week Professions in Medicine course.

Btw, what room is the financial workshop in? thx

I think part of the problem is that they don't have a parking lot that is Medical students and HSC students only or more specifically COM and CON students only. The student lots which the med students use can be accessed by undergrads and other students taking classes in that area whether it is Honors students taking the Gross anatomy class in spring or when they offered Pharmacology, undergrads who were taking that course.

Another part of the problem is they don't have enough spaces to acct for every med student, every COM grad student, every CON student, etc. They should create a parking garage nearby rather then the one on the other side of Moffitt closer to Fletcher.

They actually built the new parking garage already. Now they are building the new medical school next to it on campus. If we had to pay for our own spaces they would be even more expensive, like the employees rates of a few hundred dollars. It's not that big a deal.

has anyone here not bought books already? I think there might be a list on the Survival Guide PDF but I figured they will really tell us everything we need to do, know, and get for our upcoming medical classes during our 3 week Professions in Medicine course.

I haven't bought any bools yet. I'm waiting to see what we really need, plus I'm staying with a third year who has offered to let me use any of her old stuff so I'm just gonna wait to see whats what during the first 3 weeks.

I think part of the problem is that they don't have a parking lot that is Medical students and HSC students only or more specifically COM and CON students only. The student lots which the med students use can be accessed by undergrads and other students taking classes in that area whether it is Honors students taking the Gross anatomy class in spring or when they offered Pharmacology, undergrads who were taking that course.

Another part of the problem is they don't have enough spaces to acct for every med student, every COM grad student, every CON student, etc. They should create a parking garage nearby rather then the one on the other side of Moffitt closer to Fletcher.

Guju, are you going to be with us this fall?

They actually built the new parking garage already. Now they are building the new medical school next to it on campus. If we had to pay for our own spaces they would be even more expensive, like the employees rates of a few hundred dollars. It's not that big a deal.

New medical school building? That going to be ready soon? :D

The only book I bought was the Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination which 12-pac suggested we purchase because we'll be using that book throughout medical school, and folks would be reluctant to let us borrow that particular book.

12-PAC said:
We do advise that at this point you buy the book Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination book by Seidel, Ball, Dains, & Benedict; you will need it for the physical diagnosis course given throughout the rest of the first year as well as second year. Since this course is given during the second year as well, your big sibling may be reluctant to let you borrow this book, so you may just need to buy it from the bookstore.?

I already have a lot of anatomy books from undergrad, and I'm just going to wait to see what my big-sib has for me and see what books we need to get from the other students. I got a free Amazon Prime subscription (runs out in a few weeks), so I'm going to overnight any books we do need to get (overnight shipping with Amazon Prime is like only $3.50).

Has anyone bought any of those books that the other medical students have been pitching (used books) in our hsc email accounts?

The only book I bought was the Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination which 12-pac suggested we purchase because we'll be using that book throughout medical school, and folks would be reluctant to let us borrow that particular book.

I already have a lot of anatomy books from undergrad, and I'm just going to wait to see what my big-sib has for me and see what books we need to get from the other students. I got a free Amazon Prime subscription (runs out in a few weeks), so I'm going to overnight any books we do need to get (overnight shipping with Amazon Prime is like only $3.50).

Has anyone bought any of those books that the other medical students have been pitching (used books) in our hsc email accounts?

I have. I bought a bunch of books. Mostly atlases that we will need, BRS and some of the required books. I have been getting them for dirt cheap. For example, I got the Grant's Dissector for $8 and Netter for $15 or $20 can't remember. I also have 4 of the required books from undergrad, including Mosby's Assessment.
I like to have some of the books for reference even though we might end up not using them, it gives me comfort to know they are there.

I have. I bought a bunch of books. Mostly atlases that we will need, BRS and some of the required books. I have been getting them for dirt cheap. For example, I got the Grant's Dissector for $8 and Netter for $15 or $20 can't remember. I also have 4 of the required books from undergrad, including Mosby's Assessment.
I like to have some of the books for reference even though we might end up not using them, it gives me comfort to know they are there.

You bought from previous students or somewhere else? What BRS books do we need? The list of books in the survival guide is kinda disjointed and confusing. Is there a concise list somewhere?

So I am getting really nervous about starting school now that the start of classes is rapidly approaching. I hope I did everything I was suppose to do before starting classs (lol).

What does the BRS stand for? I feel like an idiot for not knowing since everyone else seems to.

So I am getting really nervous about starting school now that the start of classes is rapidly approaching. I hope I did everything I was suppose to do before starting classs (lol).

What does the BRS stand for? I feel like an idiot for not knowing since everyone else seems to.

Don't feel bad, we all had to learn it.
BRS= "Board Review Series"

They are kind of like Cliff's notes for medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I've found it easy to keep busy this week. I did manage to find my phone yesterday. Then my dog decided it would be a good day to eat my glasses. So, now I have something to get done today!

You bought from previous students or somewhere else? What BRS books do we need? The list of books in the survival guide is kinda disjointed and confusing. Is there a concise list somewhere?

Mostly from students, but also ebay and amazon.

This is the list of BRS books:

Behavioral Science
Biochemistry
Gross Anatomy
Histology
Microbiology and Immunology
Neuroanatomy
Pathology
Pediatrics
Pharmacology
Physiology

Most likely the BRS pediatrics and pharm we won't need until second year, so I have not bought them.

LifetimeDoc
Here is a condensed version of the 12 PAC list. I took all the books and put them in a list.

• Physical Diagnosis Textbooks:

Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination by Seidel, Ball, Dains, & Benedict

• Molecular Medicine Textbooks:

*Book recommended by faculty that some people found useful:

Histology: A Text and Atlas by Ross et all.

*Books recommended by faculty that no one found useful & just because they tell you it is required, it is most certainly not, i.e. these are very expensive paperweights:

Textbook of Biochemistry 5th Edition by T.M. Devlin, Wiley-Liss,

Lippincott Human Molecular Genetics 3 by T. Strachan & A.P. Read, Garland Science.

*Some teachers use pictures in their Powerpoint slides from:

Biochemistry 5th Edition by Berg, Tymoczko, & Stryer

• Anatomy Textbooks

*BOOKS & EQUIPMENT: You need more books for this course than probably any other. There are a ton of resources with textbooks, review books, and online resources so find out what you like and what works for you. For the most part if you really get your notes down and use Netter's you'll be set.

Required Books According to Professors:

Clinical Anatomy by Systems, Richard Snell, 1st edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006,

is the required textbook. Students are responsible for all the material indicated on the title page of each region. Individual lecture outlines are annotated to encourage students to read in advance the specific topics to be discussed. Purchase price: $68.95 (this book was only useful for the muscle section of anatomy according to Tab, but Catherine does not recommend)
The Developing Human 7th edition , Moore and Persaud (NO ONE bought this book, notes are sufficient)

Histology, A Text and Atlas, 4th Edition, Ross, et al.

Clinical Applications of Human Anatomy 1st edition Nolan

Applied Anatomy, Nolan (get this at the bookstore)

According to the class of 2010:

Most Recommended (Almost have to have):
An atlas, Netters!!! (Netter's is probably more popular, Grant's has some text with it) Histology
textbook (some said that the slides provided were sufficient) Rohan Atlas (real life pictures of cadavers that are helpful for the practical)

Some Recommended:

Netter's Flashcards (most of the same pictures as Netter's)

BRS Anatomy (good for practice questions)

High Yield Embryo (or BRS Embryo) (notes are mostly pictures, so text helps)

• Physiology Textbooks

Most students said don't waste your money on the required book. Understanding the lecture material and having practice questions are what was emphasized.

Required books according to Professors:

Physiology, 5th Edition, Berne & Levy, Mosby

Recommended Book:

Respiratory Physiology, 7th (or most recent) Edition, West, Williams & Wilkins

According to the class of 2010:

Most Recommended:

BRS Physiology (Good for review and practice)

• Some Found helpful:

Other review books (like USMLE Roadmap or Kaplan Physio Q bank)

• Neuroscience Textbooks

Most people recommended having a few resources to refer to in addition to the lectures and outlines.

Required Books According to Professors: Procopy lab manuals (Both The Green Book & The Orchid Book)

Recommended Books: Introduction to the Neurologic Examination Michael F. Nolan

Thanks for the great info OnMyWayRN!

Don't worry Soccer, I bet we are all feeling the same way!

Armin; sorry to hear about your glasses, but glad you found your phone. My cat eats everything, so I had to buy lots of new socks for med school, lol.

I'm finally moved into Tampa now, and ready to pass out from the heat! Hope to see you all soon! :)

I just finished my last day at work. It was supposed to end yesterday but they needed someone to get stuff started in the morning.
It feels great. I have always had a job since I was 18 and this is the first time I am experiencing what it is like to be unemployed. It's an awesome feeling. I feel like Peter from Office Space. Haha

I just finished my last day at work. It was supposed to end yesterday but they needed someone to get stuff started in the morning.
It feels great. I have always had a job since I was 18 and this is the first time I am experiencing what it is like to be unemployed. It's an awesome feeling. I feel like Peter from Office Space. Haha

Wait until you start studying everyday for more hours then you ever worked! Then we will see if you still feel the same :laugh:

Congrats on ending the job! Enjoy your few days of rest!

Whose going to the finacial mtg tomorrow besides me?

Whose going to the finacial mtg tomorrow besides me?

I'll be there! I was actually on campus today with some of my undergrad friends who are going through the application process right now who wanted to visit. Just trying to get over the jitters and expectations about medical school, and looking forward to just getting in and starting soon.

If you log into Blackboard and goto the course "Profs of Med-Fndtns-Doctoring", you can download the syllabus for our first course over the first 3 weeks plus a very detailed schedule for the first 3 weeks of class. Okay, I think I'm going to panic now! :O

Hey everyone! I have a favor to ask...

My email is down and I called IT. I guess it is a bit of a problem because I have two student ID numbers or something like that. Anyways, they said it would take awhile to get it sorted out. Until then, I can't check my health email. If you guys could just let me know about any important notices that would be great. I am just concerned I may miss out on some important announcements with class starting Monday. Thanks!

If you go to their office they will usually fix those types of problems right then. Of course you have to be very nice and understanding. Somehow I ended up on the Class of 2010 mailing list this spring and I stopped by and got it fixed in short order. Otherwise, I'm sure we will keep you up to date!

If you go to their office they will usually fix those types of problems right then. Of course you have to be very nice and understanding. Somehow I ended up on the Class of 2010 mailing list this spring and I stopped by and got it fixed in short order. Otherwise, I'm sure we will keep you up to date!

I had this same problem in the beginning of this week and went down there and they fixed it. The problem is that all they did was a password reset which apparently only temporarily fixes the problem. They have to fix my two student ID numbers or else I will just continue to have the same problem.

The only relevant email (besides the many COM student ones selling books) was from Dr. Specter announcing that the COM gym was open, but that there were some ground rules when using the gym...namely that you have to workout with somebody else...basically no solo workouts. Also, until they can get us the training video, you can be trained by another COM student who has been trained with prior permission of Dr. Specter, or you can goto a second live training scheduled for August 14th at 5:00pm in the COM gym.

The only relevant email (besides the many COM student ones selling books) was from Dr. Specter announcing that the COM gym was open, but that there were some ground rules when using the gym...namely that you have to workout with somebody else...basically no solo workouts. Also, until they can get us the training video, you can be trained by another COM student who has been trained with prior permission of Dr. Specter, or you can goto a second live training scheduled for August 14th at 5:00pm in the COM gym.

I just read that email. I guess rules are rules, although I like to workout by myself.

Anyway, it was nice meeting some of you at the FA workshop today.

I've been planning to go to pretty much all the events 12pac and the school have set up for our class, but after talking to a couple of students today at the FA mtg I realized not everyone is so excited about attending and meeting fellow classmates. I'm still gonna take advantage of the opportunity to meet everyone and eat the free food. :rolleyes: Are you guys planning on participating or are most of you gonna just chill til Monday?

I'll be there at the BBQ tomorrow, just hanging out at home tonight working on getting all my computer stuff and the rest of my apartment setup.

I plan on participating at all the events, there aren't that many. To each his own.

I've been planning to go to pretty much all the events 12pac and the school have set up for our class, but after talking to a couple of students today at the FA mtg I realized not everyone is so excited about attending and meeting fellow classmates. I'm still gonna take advantage of the opportunity to meet everyone and eat the free food. :rolleyes: Are you guys planning on participating or are most of you gonna just chill til Monday?

I am excited about meeting everybody. I tend to be a bit shy though...

I wont be at the BBQ tomorrow because my husband and I are going to the Project Revolution concert at the Ford Amphitheater. It starts at like 1 and goes to 11. Should be fun though.

Other then that, I plan to attend everything I can!

Thanks for keeping me posted on the emails. I am really kind of upset that I can't check my email :(.

One More Day...woohoo! :)

This might be a stupid question, but the dinner tonight is informal, right? Basically presentable dress is okay (jeans and shirt)?

I was wondering the same thing...I would think casual would be okay.

I hope so, otherwise I will look out of place.

Well if it isnt informal then we can all look out of place together because I plan to where jeans and a shirt as well!

How do we know what our POM group is? Are they going to tell us tonight when we meet in the Atrium?

groups are posted online under blackboard courses

what room is the POM/orientation held in tomorrow? I didnt see anything about the room number on the 12 pac page..

what room is the POM/orientation held in tomorrow? I didnt see anything about the room number on the 12 pac page..

Apparently it is at the USF Health Auditorium...wherever that is :)

Hi all,

I was just wondering what is the dress code tomorrow? Still business casual or can I wear my jeans? I don't want to be the only one dressed down, but I wasn't trying to dress business casual to school everyday either.

Hi all,

I was just wondering what is the dress code tomorrow? Still business casual or can I wear my jeans? I don't want to be the only one dressed down, but I wasn't trying to dress business casual to school everyday either.

My big sib swore to me that from now on is "dress comfortable" except when seeing patients. I'll go ahead and take his word and wear jeans and a button up shirt tommorrow.

Well, I guess this is it. No turning back now. It feels great to have that "Medical Student" title on here.

If anyone wants to buy a Physical Diagnosis book email me ([email protected]). I'm not sure if you are using a different version than I had, but I'm sure the versions don't change much at all. I also have a few other books I'd be willing to see at a discount. Thanks and enjoy POM before it starts up for real!

How's everyone enjoying our first day of classes?

First day was okay. Today was a bit much as far as information went.

I am looking forward very much to tomorrow and getting my white coat! I just need to figure out what to wear first!

Wake up people! :D It's only been a month. You can't be that tired yet! :D

I'm in the second group to present our group topic (1st day)...ugh, no time to read, study, prepare, and sleep! lol :)

I'm in the second group to present our group topic (1st day)...ugh, no time to read, study, prepare, and sleep! lol :)

No kidding. That awful "totally overwhelmed" feeling finally hit me tonight.
It was a good run while it lasted :rolleyes:

Sorry LTD, at least you get it out of the way early and don't have to worry about it the rest of the semester. I am happy with my date to present though (10/5). I am sure you will do great and they will probably grade you guys a little easier since you are in the first group!

Good luck!

No kidding. That awful "totally overwhelmed" feeling finally hit me tonight.
It was a good run while it lasted :rolleyes:

Totally understand your feeling. I think I was totally overwhelmed after the second day!

Totally understand your feeling. I think I was totally overwhelmed after the second day!

I know how you guys feel. I totally skipped school today because I could not stand the thought of another early morning. I was in dire need of sleep! :( But you know, even with that said, I feel pretty lucky that I can sit here and view lectures in my pajamas every once in a while. :laugh: