University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea, we will be getting our loan checks that day so it couldn't be tuition we are paying for that day. We will probably be expected to buy our Stethoscopes, lab coats, white coats, maybe books etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused...what do we need to buy during orientation?:confused:

I have health insurance, but need disability insurance. I also assume that there will be other expenses that will come up during the first day...

I'm worried now that I did not purchase a tablet. I got a Good deal on a Latitude D630, but everyone Im talking to rec. a tablet. I may utilize the 21 day return date and run out and pick up a tablet. Only problem is the processor and memory options are very limited on tablets...

Just changed my mind. Got my "Scratch and Dent" dell that I paid a thousand less for than new built the way it is. It is in PERFECT condition... Too good a deal to complain about and return.

Members don't see this ad :)
mmmm, our courses in Blackboard just jumped from 121 students to 151 students. I guess there are 30 PT students that will be taking the same courses with us over the next two years? I don't remember, but how many people fit into the classroom?

There is a separate room across the campus where the DPT students and the Interdisciplinary Masters students watch the lectures on a screen.

Yeah, tablets are nice but underpowered. I'm considering getting one of those pens you can use on a laptop screen which will make it more or less a tablet for annotating powerpoints. Navisis will be releasing one later this month for under $200. http://www.navisis.com/ENGLISH/03_pro/laptop_table_navisis.php?tmenu=03

Underpowered? It's throwdown time! Okay really the only 'disadvantage' is usually the video card is not up to gaming standard. I am now on my second tablet. And I used to program on the first one.

Underpowered? It's throwdown time! Okay really the only 'disadvantage' is usually the video card is not up to gaming standard. I am now on my second tablet. And I used to program on the first one.

For the price, they are underpowered. I'm actually a fan of tablets, have a slate tablet myself (though it mysteriously died and won't power up two months ago, requiring me to buy a laptop for school). It's just that looking at prices of convertible tablets versus regular laptops with the same processor/memory/HD, the tablets were either a lot more or you couldn't get a system with as much power in a tablet form.

I kinda wish I had gotten a convertible tablet, but I just can't swing the extra cost since our student loan won't cover past a certain price (from what I understand) for the required laptop.

Does anyone know the way to make it so that you can access the COM wireless without installing the VPN software? I installed it and while the computer is still running quickly, it has decreased significantly in speed. A couple people have told me you do not need the VPN to access the wireless, that you can go about it in other ways. Just wondering, thanks.

Does anyone know the way to make it so that you can access the COM wireless without installing the VPN software? I installed it and while the computer is still running quickly, it has decreased significantly in speed. A couple people have told me you do not need the VPN to access the wireless, that you can go about it in other ways. Just wondering, thanks.

Do you mean the ability to view outlook? You can view outlook through the web at: https://hscwebmail1.hsc.usf.edu/exchange/ without the VPN. But to use the clicker software in class, if you want to be wireless you'll need the VPN software I believe. If you want to plug into the wall, I don't know what will happen.

I didn't find a speed slowdown that I could notice on Windows Vista when I downloaded the client directly from the manufacturer: http://www.checkpoint.com/downloads/quicklinks/eula_sr.html

To just access the wireless at school, you don't need anything except your laptop as they have open wireless. You'll just get internet access, and won't be able to access your G: & H: drives, won't be able to print to network printers, wont' be able to use the Outlook client (you'll be able to use the web client link above), and might not be able to use the clicker software.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Has everyone moved to Tampa yet or in the process? I'll be 100% done this Sunday and will be living in Tampa full-time Tue or Wed next week.

I live in Tampa and have for a long time. Good luck with the move!

I have Office 2003. Do I really need Office 2007?

I have Office 2003. Do I really need Office 2007?

I know that you can download filters to open Office 2007 documents inside of Office 2003 (Office 2007 Compatibility Pack for Office 2000, Office XP, and Office 2003). I like the new interface in Office 2007, and OneNote has some nicer features. Our student copy is only $88, which is cheap...but it's still $88 that could be spent on something else. Personally, I don't think you need to upgrade but might have to later, someday.

Call-up the Health IT number and see what they say...
Phone: (813) 974-6288
M-F 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-5pm.
Room: MDC 1054

Next week is financial aid orientation! :D (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing) :confused::confused::confused::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean the ability to view outlook? You can view outlook through the web at: https://hscwebmail1.hsc.usf.edu/exchange/ without the VPN. But to use the clicker software in class, if you want to be wireless you'll need the VPN software I believe. If you want to plug into the wall, I don't know what will happen.

I didn't find a speed slowdown that I could notice on Windows Vista when I downloaded the client directly from the manufacturer: http://www.checkpoint.com/downloads/quicklinks/eula_sr.html

To just access the wireless at school, you don't need anything except your laptop as they have open wireless. You'll just get internet access, and won't be able to access your G: & H: drives, won't be able to print to network printers, wont' be able to use the Outlook client (you'll be able to use the web client link above), and might not be able to use the clicker software.

Anybody else have any ideas?
If you dont use the VPN, you cant access the network drives (which i dont really see a need to access them since i didnt know but maybe one person who used them last year), and you cannot access your school email if you are plugged into the ethernet port at school through the hsc website. If you are on wireless at school you can still access email through the website. They tell you that you cannot access email through outlook when plugged in without the vpn software, but I had it working fine last year when i configured it during the IMS program. If you arent good with computers and are worried, then go ahead and give your computer to IT to configure. But i know of a good number of people who were very frustrated with their computers last year after giving it to IT b/c it SIGNIFICANTLY slows your computer down during startup. This is because it tries to connect to the hscnet server everytime you startup, whether or not you are connected to the ethernet at school. Just my 2 cents...

How do the professors allow access to their powerpoints? Is it through the network G and H drives?

Has everyone moved to Tampa yet or in the process? I'll be 100% done this Sunday and will be living in Tampa full-time Tue or Wed next week.

I moved to Tampa a month ago. I am liking it alot so far. :)

That would make the most sense but that's not how USFCOM does it. They'll give you your whole check and you have to then write a check to them for your tuition. They don't do direct deposit either. One snag a lot of us have run across is the banks often try to put a "hold" on the funds so you can't access them for 5 business days or even longer sometimes. You can usually avoid this by not being the first one to bring your check in to the bank the day the checks come out because by the 4th or 5th person, the bank goes OHHH these are legitimate student loan checks and won't put a hold on the money. If you are the unlucky soul who gets a hold on your funds, go to financial aid-they will write you a letter saying you have an extra week or however long it will take, to pay your tuition.

As for scrubs and such-there are a couple of places around school that you can get scrubs from. Wal Mart also sells them.

Wow, that is really disappointing. My bank is out of state and always puts a hold on large checks. Direct deposit really is the best solution to this problem. The method you mentioned seems very old fashioned and not all all practical. I hope USF changes to direct deposit soon.

Can we wear any type/color scrubs...does it even matter? I have some already from the clinic where I used to volunteer.

I moved to Tampa a month ago. I am liking it alot so far. :)

I moved to Tampa last weekend and am also really enjoying it.

Guys I need some advice...my dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I'm trying to figure out how accessible Moffit is/ how available oncologists working at Moffit are to answering my questions about treatment options. This is a really rough time for me so all the help I could get would be great. Do you think I could just walk in and find someone or do you think it will take more orchestration than that?

I've already gone through my ups and downs and at this point we're (my family) ready to fight this.

I'll be moving to Tampa this Friday...hopefully in time for financial aid workshop. I find I'm really dreading the move...not because of school or Tampa itself, but I think I just hate the process of moving.

How do the professors allow access to their powerpoints? Is it through the network G and H drives?

All required powerpoints and handouts for class are through blackboard

Guys I need some advice...my dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I'm trying to figure out how accessible Moffit is/ how available oncologists working at Moffit are to answering my questions about treatment options. This is a really rough time for me so all the help I could get would be great. Do you think I could just walk in and find someone or do you think it will take more orchestration than that?

I've already gone through my ups and downs and at this point we're (my family) ready to fight this.

I am so sorry to hear about your father. I wish I had some information about Moffit, but I am really not sure. I found this link on the internet that has some information about treatment options. http://www.ustoo.org/

I wish your family the best.

I am so sorry to hear about your father. I wish I had some information about Moffit, but I am really not sure. I found this link on the internet that has some information about treatment options. http://www.ustoo.org/

I wish your family the best.

Thanks sooo much med2007 :) That was a very helpful website.

Sorry to hear about this. I wish I knew more about Moffit and could help you out better.

What is everyone doing to pass the time before things get started this week?
Sometimes i get sooo bored because I dont know anyone and really dont know my way to a lot of places.

Sometimes i get sooo bored because I dont know anyone and really dont know my way to a lot of places.

I'm building a fence before it gets any hotter.

I'm finishing up my TA responsibilities today at UCF, tomorrow just relaxing or maybe doing more TA stuff (hopefully not), and moving permanently to Tampa on Wednesday. Hoping to find some folks to hang out with, kick back a beer or two, and/or check out what there is to do in Tampa.

You're welcome to come out tomorrow night. I'll be going out with some 2nd years and a few 1st years for my birthday. I think we're going to the rack for sushi and then hyde park cafe to party. They're both in south tampa on platt st. Everyone is invited to come meet some people in both classes. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) or give me a call if you have any questions 352-870-4086.
-ben

My husband and I just got a puppy yesterday (6 month old lab/shepard mix). I think he will keep me pretty busy with taking him to the vet and trying to train him a bit. I also have to get my office/ study room in order so that way I have a nice place to study while home.

I will be going to the financial aid workshop Thursday. Anyone else?

My husband and I just got a puppy yesterday (6 month old lab/shepard mix). I think he will keep me pretty busy with taking him to the vet and trying to train him a bit. I also have to get my office/ study room in order so that way I have a nice place to study while home.

I will be going to the financial aid workshop Thursday. Anyone else?

Thursday here. Good luck with the new dog. I planned a little further ahead and got myt pup this spring so I would not have to worry as much about the new dog and school. I just have to break him of his habit of whining when I'm not paying him enough attention.

Thursday here. Good luck with the new dog. I planned a little further ahead and got myt pup this spring so I would not have to worry as much about the new dog and school. I just have to break him of his habit of whining when I'm not paying him enough attention.

We wanted to get a puppy earlier but we just got married and moved into a house in June. Figured we would wait until we settled into the house more, that's why a week before school we got him. It's not the best timing, but the timing only gets worse from here on out. Since he is six months old, he is already house broken and knows the command sit and is learning lay down. My husband knows I will be busy and that a lot of the time and work it takes to raise a puppy will fall on his shoulders. Gives him something to do while I study :laugh:

What kind of attire are you planning on wearing Thursday? I don't think they recommended anything specific.

I've scheduled some last minute hanging with friends and family. That should take me up til Wed. I forgot which fiancial aid workshop I signed up for so I'm just gonna go Thursday :oops:. Sounds like everyone is getting last minute stuff taken care of.

BTW...is anyone having trouble accessing all the new stuff 12pac had posted a while ago? Everytime I go to retrieve the survival guide its not there :confused: Is anyone else having this problem?

Last thought...ladies--> What are you wearing the first day of school? I know we need to be dressed professionally, but I'm stuck between wearing a nice skirt and top or some dressy capris and a top. Also are you all wearing heels or "comfy" shoes?

We wanted to get a puppy earlier but we just got married and moved into a house in June. Figured we would wait until we settled into the house more, that's why a week before school we got him. It's not the best timing, but the timing only gets worse from here on out. Since he is six months old, he is already house broken and knows the command sit and is learning lay down. My husband knows I will be busy and that a lot of the time and work it takes to raise a puppy will fall on his shoulders. Gives him something to do while I study :laugh:

What kind of attire are you planning on wearing Thursday? I don't think they recommended anything specific.

Guess that makes sense. I had been settled for a while already.

Thursday, we just wear regular 'street' clothes. Nothing fancy. I'm guessing it will be an extended lecture on don't blow all the money you are getting from your loans. Nothing too serious yet.

Hey guys,
I just found out that I too have to get that stupid Tdap shot because apparently my regular tetanus shot was insufficient. I remember some of you guys had a bad experience trying to obtain it - but does anyone know where I can go to get it (successfully)? I don't have a family doctor (my mom is a gynecologist), and I don't even know where to start. Thanks for your help - and of course, I look forward to actually putting faces to these names very soon!

Hey guys,
I just found out that I too have to get that stupid Tdap shot because apparently my regular tetanus shot was insufficient. I remember some of you guys had a bad experience trying to obtain it - but does anyone know where I can go to get it (successfully)? I don't have a family doctor (my mom is a gynecologist), and I don't even know where to start. Thanks for your help - and of course, I look forward to actually putting faces to these names very soon!

Not sure. But, I think you may not be able to get it until at least two years have passed since the tetnus shot. Since, we all got the wrong one so far, I would try the 'Student Health Services' at USF. You will not be charged an office visit and they are somewhat understanding that medical students have certain requirements. Good luck!

Hey guys,

Hey, you can walk into student health services and get it that day. I think it was like $25 when i did

Hey guys,

I went to the County Health Department. I called the GP and they did not have the shots. It took me about one hour to do the whole thing. It cost something like $50.

I went to the County Health Department. I called the GP and they did not have the shots. It took me about one hour to do the whole thing. It cost something like $50.

Don't trust the nurses. Ask to look at the vial before they inject you. I told them I needed TDAP (several times) and they gave me a tetanus booster instead which means now I have to wait 2 years before I can get the TDAP.

Don't trust the nurses. Ask to look at the vial before they inject you. I told them I needed TDAP (several times) and they gave me a tetanus booster instead which means now I have to wait 2 years before I can get the TDAP.

True, I did make sure I got the TDAP. They were pretty good actually. Once I told them I was going to med school they knew right away.

Off topic: What are you guys doing about books? I bought I bunch of them through older students, ebay and amazon.

True, I did make sure I got the TDAP. They were pretty good actually. Once I told them I was going to med school they knew right away.

Off topic: What are you guys doing about books? I bought I bunch of them through older students, ebay and amazon.

You really dont need all of the books, trust me, i bought them last year during the masters program and never used most of them. It is just about impossible to read all the material they assign, and it's unnecessary (according to some of the professors who will be lecturing). All of the material given in lecture is enough to study from for the tests (60-100+ slide powerpoints per lecture at 5 or so lectures a day is plenty to study). They're good for reference if you really think you need some more material to read, but chances are they're just going to sit on a shelf. Netter's is a must have, so are the BRS review books, but that's about all i'd suggest. If you dont believe me, then talk to some of the 2nd years.

You really dont need all of the books, trust me, i bought them last year during the masters program and never used most of them. It is just about impossible to read all the material they assign, and it's unnecessary (according to some of the professors who will be lecturing). All of the material given in lecture is enough to study from for the tests (60-100+ slide powerpoints per lecture at 5 or so lectures a day is plenty to study). They're good for reference if you really think you need some more material to read, but chances are they're just going to sit on a shelf. Netter's is a must have, so are the BRS review books, but that's about all i'd suggest. If you dont believe me, then talk to some of the 2nd years.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how many BRS books are there? Or better yet, which ones do we need to buy?
Thanks

Is $151.26 a good price (allheart.com, tax, shipping, name personalization included in price) for a Littman Cardiology III 27" black stethoscope? Are we going to get a better deal on campus or a free one somewhere from some organization?

What about the Allheart cardiology scopes that are $25/each? Just as good? (heck, we could buy 120 of them for ~$2000, outfit the entire class of 2011!) If we are going to need our own stethoscope during MS1, I'd rather just go ahead and get it sooner than later.

Is $151.26 a good price (allheart.com, tax, shipping, name personalization included in price) for a Littman Cardiology III 27" black stethoscope? Are we going to get a better deal on campus or a free one somewhere from some organization?

What about the Allheart cardiology scopes that are $25/each? Just as good? (heck, we could buy 120 of them for ~$2000, outfit the entire class of 2011!) If we are going to need our own stethoscope during MS1, I'd rather just go ahead and get it sooner than later.

I'm pretty sure we are going to be pitched a lot of organizations and equipment next week. So, I would wait until then before buying anything. I know we will need a bunch of little things too (hammers, tuning forks....) It sucks to wait though.

If anyone is really bored, they can help me look around the Brandon mall for my phone! I lost it last night, d'oh.

If anyone is really bored, they can help me look around the Brandon mall for my phone! I lost it last night, d'oh.

Aww man that sucks!!

REPOST......

BTW...is anyone having trouble accessing all the new stuff 12pac had posted a while ago? Everytime I go to retrieve the survival guide its not there Is anyone else having this problem?

Last thought...ladies--> What are you wearing the first day of school? I know we need to be dressed professionally, but I'm stuck between wearing a nice skirt and top or some dressy capris and a top. Also are you all wearing heels or "comfy" shoes?

Aww man that sucks!!

REPOST......

BTW...is anyone having trouble accessing all the new stuff 12pac had posted a while ago? Everytime I go to retrieve the survival guide its not there Is anyone else having this problem?

I am wearing a pretty skirt and a blouse. And heels - but my heels are surprisingly comfortable. Is it sad that I have my first day of school outfit picked out already? Feels a little like high school...:rolleyes:

I am wearing a pretty skirt and a blouse. And heels - but my heels are surprisingly comfortable. Is it sad that I have my first day of school outfit picked out already? Feels a little like high school...:rolleyes:

I don't have it quite picked out yet but I will wear either a skirt and blouse or dress pants and a blouse. I would probably feel more comfortable in the pants so I am leaning towards that at the moment. I will wear heels though. Nothing too high or unprofessional though.

Aww man that sucks!!

REPOST......

It is working fine for me. Everything opens without a problem. Although I started having problems with logging on to my email :(.