This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laanamay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I see that there has yet to be a USyd Forum for the Class of 2022 - so here it is.

Myself?
I plan on attending starting February 2018 in the DVM Program at University of Sydney. I am an international student from CALIFORNIA, USA !

Looking for advice and fellow applicant regarding international/domestic housing, but anything is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I am also starting the dvm at usyd feb 2018.

I am a sydney local and did my undergrad at usyd so if you have any questions please let me know :)

In terms of housing, sydney is fairly pricey but the best suburbs to look into around the uni are redfern, glebe, darlington, camperdown and newtown. Try flatmates or gumtree.

Congrats on your offer!

Last edited:
Also from California, will go to Sydney (Already accepted) unless I get into my #1 choice when I hear back in early - mid January.
I have a lot to do the next month and will be super rushed most likely. The Timeline of everything is unfortunate but I am excited nevertheless

Members don't see this ad :)

I am a sydney local and did my undergrad at usyd so if you have any questions please let me know :)

In terms of housing, sydney is fairly pricey but the best suburbs to look into around the uni are redfern, glebe, darlington, camperdown and newtown. Try flatmates or gumtree.

Congrats on your offer!

Would you suggest living in graduate housing the first year or is it best to find a place around campus?

I am also coming from California. Would you be able to give general first year prep tips?

Where to live, what to buy before or there, what campus will 1st year classes be held? Any extra insight to help me and the rest of us prep would be awesome!

Congrats on your offer!

Would you suggest living in graduate housing the first year or is it best to find a place around campus?

I am also coming from California. Would you be able to give general first year prep tips?

Where to live, what to buy before or there, what campus will 1st year classes be held? Any extra insight to help me and the rest of us prep would be awesome!

Hey! I can't really comment on uni housing as I have never lived on campus myself. Most people I know who are international and studying at Sydney Uni found accommodations around the campus and nearby suburbs, mainly in share-houses and apartments. Using websites like flatmates or gumtree are good to find these. Good suburbs to look into around the area are Camperdown and Darlington (as this is the main USyd campus) and then Redfern, Newtown, Glebe and Forest Lodge as they are all within walking distance.

So there are two campuses that the vet school use to teach. The first two years will be mainly at Camperdown/Darlington campus in the city. The third year is primarily out at Camden (1 hour from the Camperdown/Darlington campus). However expect to spend some time each semester in the first two years out at Camden as this campus is more rural and is where the uni farms/units are. I would suggest car pooling to this campus. If car pooling isn't an option then there is a train from Redfern station to Campbelltown and then a uni shuttle to the Camden campus.

In terms of prep for uni...I am basing this all on my undergrad degree in animal science (and from word of mouth from friends doing the DVM currently). The first year is insane apparently. Lot's of content to learn. There are loads of textbooks that are suggested to purchase for study, but in all honesty, I bought one textbook my whole undergrad and hardly used it. If you need a textbook there are loads at the uni library and the lecturers tend to give pretty decent notes regardless. You will save your self loads of money. But if textbooks are your thing then go for it :). I think in our first week the lecturer's will advise us about what to purchase but I think we need a stethoscope and dissection kit. We also need to buy a lab coat, overalls, gumboots and uni placement tops (but I think we do fittings for those first week also - if we don't they should send an email about it).

I hope I was able to answer your questions a little :)

Reactions: 1 user
Heya everyone!

If you have committed to your offer, that's amazing! Congratulations and all the best towards the next step of your career.

There is a Facebook group which you can join (I cannot post the link due to the lack of posts) - it is called USYD DVM - Class of 2021. I'm in the group as well so you can send me a friend request (Alex H) if you would like to talk privately about the program/living in Sydney. I am from Canada who will be entering DVM2 this year.

See you guys at orientation!

Hey ya’ll! Sorry about going on a tangent here but I thought maybe you guys can provide some insight. I’m a California resident as well and I am hoping to apply this fall. Since university of Sydney doesn’t really provide minimum units for pre-reqs and even says to make your own judgment on the class equivalence with the example that they provide, I am a bit confused on how much Ochem is required. Did you guys do a whole year (2 semesters) or only the part A? Thanks and congrats to you all :)

Hey ya’ll! Sorry about going on a tangent here but I thought maybe you guys can provide some insight. I’m a California resident as well and I am hoping to apply this fall. Since university of Sydney doesn’t really provide minimum units for pre-reqs and even says to make your own judgment on the class equivalence with the example that they provide, I am a bit confused on how much Ochem is required. Did you guys do a whole year (2 semesters) or only the part A? Thanks and congrats to you all :)
Hey! I’m from the states, and starting in February at Sydney uni. I did two semesters of organic chem in my undergrad :) hope that helps !

Reactions: 1 user

Heya,

I don't they they are as strict as you think they are with regards to their pre-requisite requirements. I've taken 2 general chemistry classes (first year) in undergrad, with one of them having a small organic chemistry (and i'm talking only 2 weeks of content here) component to it. They still gave me an offer. If you are curious I took CHEM*1040 and CHEM*1050 at the University of Guelph. Good luck!