University of Sydney MMI format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaseyp90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm preparing for my MMI Skype interview with the University of Sydney for dentistry, and I'm still not sure exactly how the MMI will work. I understand that the interview will consist of 5 questions of 7 mins each. In between there is a 2 min break, bringing the total interview time to around 45 min.

My confusion is over the difference compared to a traditional MMI (2 mins prep/8 mins answer). During the USyd MMI we will be given the question by the interviewer at the start of the 7 mins while we are already face to face over skype. What do I do then? Is it normal to sit there in silence for around 2 mins and then begin speaking? All the while the interviewer sees you on screen? This means we will have 5 mins to speak, or ideally 3-4 mins and save the remaining time for prompts. This is much less time than the normal 8 mins. Or are we expected to begin speaking soon after receiving the question, without much prep. I don't want to end up looking silent and awkward! Also from what I understand we can't make any notes?

Finally, can anyone confirm that the final ranking for dentistry is 50% MMI and 50% admissions test (eg DAT)?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
(I hope this post is not too late)
I recently did the interview for the MD - I don't know how different it is but it's perfectly normal I think to take a minute or so to collect your thoughts (just say so to your interviewer so it's not just an awkward silence).

Also, there tend to be quite a few follow up questions so say what you need to say about the original prompt but I don't feel theres a need to embellish / stall for time. No you can not take notes.

Lastly, I believe that kind of information is available in their admissions guide.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
(I hope this post is not too late)
I recently did the interview for the MD - I don't know how different it is but it's perfectly normal I think to take a minute or so to collect your thoughts (just say so to your interviewer so it's not just an awkward silence).

Also, there tend to be quite a few follow up questions so say what you need to say about the original prompt but I don't feel theres a need to embellish / stall for time. No you can not take notes.

Lastly, I believe that kind of information is available in their admissions guide.

Best of luck!

Hey, thank you for the information!