University of Texas San Antonio Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still looking for a place. I'm going down again this weekend to try to lock something in for a June move-in date. I'm worried because it sounded like a lot of people already had that figured out during welcome weekend. At least I know I'm not the only one without a place yet. Now if it would just be July 25th already!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't locked down my living arrangements either. I am a bit apprehensive at this point, since I live in Dallas. Hopefully soon though.

Also, I haven't completed my FAFSA yet, am I going to be at any disadvantage? I will complete it before the end of the week, but I was hoping that I haven't missed the financial aid boat. Thoughts anyone?

DocMcCoy: I received the email for the background check and completed it the same day. It took about two days to verify my history and another week or so before the hold was lifted (which was this week).

TexasMDtobe: I was told to email Dr. Henzi ([email protected]) about my interest in the pre-mat program, so I did. He returned my email, telling me that he will add me to the students interested list. I hope that is enough to get me included, seeing as though I am a non-trad student and could definitely benefit.

Have I or someone else already asked this?? Oh well...

When is everyone moving down to SA? I'm planning to move down end of June/beginning of July. Did everyone get housing & everything figured out over Welcome Weekend? I'm still trying to lock that down.. but hopefully soon. I love that housing is so inexpensive. Huge plus. :thumbup:

Hopefully, we can all get together and hang out/get to know each other before everything starts. I am definitely going to take all the advice to watch paint dry/stare at the wall, etc. haha! :)

By the way, I am moving down mid-June and I would love to hang with anyone that is down there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm going to move down there probably around the 9th of July just to get settled and stuff. We could totally hang out but I'm hoping to be in pre-mat also so hopefully that works out.

I called financial aid to ask on how that process is going and they said that it may not be until the beginning of next month or the middle of next month before packages are sent out so I think we're all in good shape as long as we get it in soon.

jtdallas - thanks for the pre-mat program contact info, I too am non-trad and need to get back in the academic saddle (preferably before the first day of class :D)

For those still looking for an apartment - San Antonio Station had some great deals, and the location is killer (walking distance to everywhere pretty much). I'll be moving in there first part of July, probably just in time for pre-mat, assuming I am one of the lucky few selected to do that.

I also toured The Villas at Oak Hills, still within walking distance and more spacious than San Antonio Station, the move in dates didn't work for me though.

agreed... but I wish I could even think that far ahead...

must... make it... through... this... week! and then, finally, I will do any of the dozens of things they are wanting us to do! how many holds do i have now? lol.

Yeah I've already submitted my application for the pre-matriculation program. I hope I get in. *Crosses fingers* I'm really looking forward to starting but I'm glad it's only two weeks long. That'll give me a chance to have a summer.

I have a friend who's going to Houston and they have a pre-matriculation program that is five weeks long. I think that's how long UTMB's is also. I'm happy UTHSCSA allows us to have a summer but still get ahead. Our school is the BEST!!

Yeah I've already submitted my application for the pre-matriculation program. I hope I get in. *Crosses fingers* I'm really looking forward to starting but I'm glad it's only two weeks long. That'll give me a chance to have a summer.

I have a friend who's going to Houston and they have a pre-matriculation program that is five weeks long. I think that's how long UTMB's is also. I'm happy UTHSCSA allows us to have a summer but still get ahead. Our school is the BEST!!

I have already submitted my application as well. And... we wait, again. LOL!! I thought the application game was over for another four years. HAHAHA!!

I could not agree with the "Our school is the BEST!!" statement anymore, because it is fact.

Definitely decided not to do the pre-mat program... I need some sleep & time away from staring at ppts & textbooks, etc... lol. But, best of luck to you all that applied! I hope you get it! :xf:

I am pooch-punting this thread back up to the top!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
95% sure. The one bedroom is small but it has a good price and good location. The staff said something like 30 students have already signed leases. I just wanted to check to see if any of them were by yall.

Myself and another girl are actually looking for a house to rent close to campus b/c we both have a dog. I stayed with a student that lived there for welcome weekend... she seemed to like it.

Dear Finals,

Please go away. :smack: +pissed+

Thanks,

me

Last edited:
On the bright side, these are the last exams we will have to take, ever! ...uh well for a couple months... Wait, there is no bright side.

:laugh:

I'm in the middle of my finals also. I'm just so ready to move on now. I think I'm going to move in on or around July 9th. I need to find a job for at least a month so I can live it up...

I'm in the middle of my finals also. I'm just so ready to move on now. I think I'm going to move in on or around July 9th. I need to find a job for at least a month so I can live it up...

No work!! Just live it up!!

No work!! Just live it up!!

I agree.. just take time & hang out. I am still working now until the end of May & then traveling, moving, relaxing. :)

Have you guys found out whether you are doing the pre-mat program or not?

I agree.. just take time & hang out. I am still working now until the end of May & then traveling, moving, relaxing. :)

I have resigned from my position and will stop working on June 4th. Of course, I could use the extra money, but I think I need the sanity and free time, before school starts, more! It is scary seeing those loans already sitting on inside.uthscsa.edu.

I am moving to San Antonio on the weekend of June 18th, what about everyone else?

Have you guys found out whether you are doing the pre-mat program or not?

I have applied for the pre-mat program, but I have not yet heard anything.

If you plan on doing the pre-matriculation program than you may have to plan to move in sooner than the 18th. From what I understand, the pre-matriculation program starts two weeks before our orientation and orientation is a week before school starts. That has the pre-matriculation program starting on the 12th of July.

I want to just relax and not do anything this summer or possibly travel but I got some books on how to succeed in medical school anyway. I really can't help myself... I promise you guys that I am not a gunner. I went to UT Arlington for crying out loud.

If you plan on doing the pre-matriculation program than you may have to plan to move in sooner than the 18th. From what I understand, the pre-matriculation program starts two weeks before our orientation and orientation is a week before school starts. That has the pre-matriculation program starting on the 12th of July.

I want to just relax and not do anything this summer or possibly travel but I got some books on how to succeed in medical school anyway. I really can't help myself... I promise you guys that I am not a gunner. I went to UT Arlington for crying out loud.

I am moving June 18th, a month should give me plenty of time to get settled in before the pre-mat program starts, don't you think? ;)

Well I believe the pre-matriculation starts on the 12th of July. It's supposed to be two weeks long and it must be before the orientation which is a week before schools starts. This means the pre-matriculation should start three weeks before school starts.

I also have some sad but good news. I was just accepted to UT Southwestern yesterday morning and after a lot of back and forth, I've decided to go. It was nice talking to you guys but I must say goodbye. Later guys!

Well I believe the pre-matriculation starts on the 12th of July. It's supposed to be two weeks long and it must be before the orientation which is a week before schools starts. This means the pre-matriculation should start three weeks before school starts.

I also have some sad but good news. I was just accepted to UT Southwestern yesterday morning and after a lot of back and forth, I've decided to go. It was nice talking to you guys but I must say goodbye. Later guys!

Well... July 12th and June 18th are so far away. I am not sure you were reading the dates right. I will have plenty of time, since it is nearly a month difference.

Good luck. UTHSCSA is the best!!

LOL, wow I am so sorry. I read "July" when it said "June." You should be in a good shape.

Best of luck to you in Dallas! It's really a win-win situation -- I'm sure you will make someone on the waitlist at UTHSCSA VERY happy!

Does anyone know when our immunization record is due and who we send it to?

Does anybody know where we can find the orientation schedule online???

I can only find last year's orientation schedule, maybe they haven't decided the schedule thus far?

Very helpful! thanks for finding this!

You can also scan in the immunization record as a pdf and e-mail it to Rebecca Gutierrez. Worked like a charm.

Who else here will be attending the pre-mat program? I got the "official acceptance" e-mail from David Henzi the other day.

I am absolutely terrible when it comes to computers, so please forgive me if these questions sound ridiculous!

1) I've decided on a 13 inch MacBook pro (vs. the 15 inch that was recommended) because the 15 inch just seems way too big. From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference other than it being about $1000 cheaper if i order the 13 inch from the apple store than buying the 15 inch from the school and instead of a intel core i5- 520 processor it has a Intel Core 2 Duo (I have NO idea what the difference is here). Good decision or bad decision?

2) How are we supposed to go about purchasing the graphics card on macs? Is it already built in to the computer or do we have to buy it separately from NVIDIA?

3) Is VMWare Fusion sufficient for making all programs compatible with my mac, or do I also need Bootcamp or that parallels program?

Any help is appreciated! :love:

I am absolutely terrible when it comes to computers, so please forgive me if these questions sound ridiculous!

1) I've decided on a 13 inch MacBook pro (vs. the 15 inch that was recommended) because the 15 inch just seems way too big. From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference other than it being about $1000 cheaper if i order the 13 inch from the apple store than buying the 15 inch from the school and instead of a intel core i5- 520 processor it has a Intel Core 2 Duo (I have NO idea what the difference is here). Good decision or bad decision?

2) How are we supposed to go about purchasing the graphics card on macs? Is it already built in to the computer or do we have to buy it separately from NVIDIA?

3) Is VMWare Fusion sufficient for making all programs compatible with my mac, or do I also need Bootcamp or that parallels program?

I recently bought a 13" notebook (Toshiba T135D-S1325 ~ $550) for school as well, and it doesn't quite live up to the recommendations provided. I'm convinced someone is getting a kickback from these manufacturers, as the models they recommend are massive overkill. They were suggesting top-of-the-line laptops for those without another computer and/or for those with lots of extra cash.

1) 13-inch notebooks are much more portable than the 15-inchers and are sufficient for daily computing. You won't be able to fit as much information on the screen as you be able to with a 15 inch, but the trade-off is worth it (at least to me, as my priorities were low weight, high portability, and long battery life) As to the processor, the core-i5 is one of the most recent CPUs released by intel, and so is very expensive. Functionally, the Core 2 Duo will do everything you need, but won't be as fast as the core-i5 (for a variety of reasons). This speed difference will be neglible for school purposes - just go with the cheaper Core 2 Duo.

Generally speaking, the amount of RAM will more directly effect your sense of the computer's speed than the processor itself (in terms of ability to multitask) - the 4GB of RAM recommended by the school is sufficient.

2) The video cards in laptops are just chips integrated into the motherboard (main circuit board). You don't buy it separately, you need to look for it in the specifications of the laptop. nVidia is one brand of many that make video processors, with another major video processor brand being ATI Radeon. Just look in the specs for "integrated video card" and the brands ATI Radeon or nVidia.

3) I don't know anything about Mac/PC virtualization.

From what I can gather, we only need the computer to type a few papers/notes, to get online, and to use the histology hard-drive (virtual microscopy). The computer you described, the 13-inch macbook pro, should be more than sufficient.

Last edited:

VMWare Fusion will work for all the programs needed first year. There is an anotomy CD and a neuro CD that will require the use of VMWare Fusion to work on a Mac.

I would go with the 13in MacBook Pro instead of the 15in. It is much more portable. Don't buy from the school. I would purchase from the Apple store. They normally have some promotions going on like a free iPod touch or printer and will give a discount to students. The discount is usually $100-200.

Where can we find the computer requirements? Or would someone mind listing them? Thanks!

Where can we find the computer requirements? Or would someone mind listing them? Thanks!

Nevermind. I received the packet from the Medical Dean's Office today and it contained all of that information. Has everyone else got this packet yet?

I'm still waiting on the packet. And has everyone finished registering for classes? I still have a hold due to the immunizations, should have it in the mail by Friday. and registered next week if I'm lucky...

I'm still waiting on the packet. And has everyone finished registering for classes? I still have a hold due to the immunizations, should have it in the mail by Friday. and registered next week if I'm lucky...

Try faxing it in when your form is complete instead of mailing it. Thats what i did, and they removed my hold within minutes so that i could register that day.

Yeah I mailed my health/immunization paperwork over a week ago and they still havent released my hold. Awkard. So im faxing it tomorrow. I also just checked my uthscsa email for the first time the other day... I had 80+ unread emails. Oops.