University of the Pacific application for Fall 2019 pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDGG

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I applied as an early decision candidate by the deadline, which was September 4th, 2018 and was interviewed on September 28th, 2018. The school said that they would release final decisions by October 17th, but 2 days ago I received an email saying that I was a "strong candidate", but the admissions committee decided to defer my decision and was placed on hold and that my application would be re-reviewed any time from now until April 1st.

This is super frustrating because I assumed I'd receive a yes or no by October 17th. Does anyone know the chances of acceptances or rejection after being placed on hold? They also specified that this is not the same as being waitlisted* I've looked around online and there were mixed feelings about whether this is better or worse than being on the waitlist.

I also started working at a pharmacy 2 months ago and had only two letters of recommendation (both from professors). If I were to get a 3rd one from a pharmacist at my workplace, how much would that help my chances, if at all, of getting an acceptance email/letter. Also has anyone else who applied heard back yet? It'd be great to know!

Members don't see this ad.

A letter of recommendation written by a pharmacist will defiantly help increase your chances of getting accepted. I would recommend for you to email the school to check on your status every month to show them that you are passionate about pharmacy.

Hello everyone, I applied as an early decision candidate by the deadline, which was September 4th, 2018 and was interviewed on September 28th, 2018. The school said that they would release final decisions by October 17th, but 2 days ago I received an email saying that I was a "strong candidate", but the admissions committee decided to defer my decision and was placed on hold and that my application would be re-reviewed any time from now until April 1st.

This is super frustrating because I assumed I'd receive a yes or no by October 17th. Does anyone know the chances of acceptances or rejection after being placed on hold? They also specified that this is not the same as being waitlisted* I've looked around online and there were mixed feelings about whether this is better or worse than being on the waitlist.

I also started working at a pharmacy 2 months ago and had only two letters of recommendation (both from professors). If I were to get a 3rd one from a pharmacist at my workplace, how much would that help my chances, if at all, of getting an acceptance email/letter. Also has anyone else who applied heard back yet? It'd be great to know!

I don't want to discourage you or anything, but have a backup plan just incase. I applied last year (early decision, interviewed), but my file was also placed on hold. What really hurts is that even with consistent emails/phone calls to Rx-admissions, I didn't get a reply until the beginning of April 2018 saying that I was declined admissions. I applied again this year as well, but I am going to apply to Northstate as well. Hopefully things work out better for you than it did for me. Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to discourage you or anything, but have a backup plan just incase. I applied last year (early decision, interviewed), but my file was also placed on hold. What really hurts is that even with consistent emails/phone calls to Rx-admissions, I didn't get a reply until the beginning of April 2018 saying that I was declined admissions. I applied again this year as well, but I am going to apply to Northstate as well. Hopefully things work out better for you than it did for me. Cheers
Do you mind if I ask what your stats were when you were declined? Also do you know anyone else who may have received or been denied admission last cycle? Thanks

Do you mind if I ask what your stats were when you were declined? Also do you know anyone else who may have received or been denied admission last cycle? Thanks

BS in Chem, 3.2 science gpa, I have Pharm Tech license, worked as a pharm tech for 6months, some leadership roles, lots of extracirricular activites (clubs, sports, etc.), but from what i've heard its just a role of the dice. I nailed my interview, but it still wasn't enough.

As far as other people go there were a couple of other people I met during the interview who had higher gpa's than me and still werent admitted, but they applied to other places and got accepted.

BS in Chem, 3.2 science gpa, I have Pharm Tech license, worked as a pharm tech for 6months, some leadership roles, lots of extracirricular activites (clubs, sports, etc.), but from what i've heard its just a role of the dice. I nailed my interview, but it still wasn't enough.

As far as other people go there were a couple of other people I met during the interview who had higher gpa's than me and still werent admitted, but they applied to other places and got accepted.
Wow you got denied last year with those stats? Sounds pretty rough. You would seem like a strong candidate for UoP. It's not even I'd say one of the more difficult schools to get into. Rough...

What was your PCAT score? Which schools did you apply to?

What was your PCAT score? Which schools did you apply to?

UoP does not require PCAT scores and they specifically tell you not to send them in because they wont look at it and most of the schools in California don't require PCAT scores. For me thats if I wanted to go out of state. So far I applied to UoP again and at the end of the semester I am going to apply to Northstate.

UoP does not require PCAT scores and they specifically tell you not to send them in because they wont look at it and most of the schools in California don't require PCAT scores. For me thats if I wanted to go out of state. So far I applied to UoP again and at the end of the semester I am going to apply to Northstate.
UOP save many spots for their internal pre-pharm students. It's much harder for "outsiders" to get into their pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 user
UOP save many spots for their internal pre-pharm students. It's much harder for "outsiders" to get into their pharmacy school.

Yeah, I've also heard that too and after going to their PharmCAS workshop thats what it seemed like.

Last edited:
What’s your financial plan after graduating UOP though? Their cost of attendence is $255,238 total for the entire program (PharmD Tuition and Fees). Definitely one of the most costly pharmacy schools to attend.

Following the downward trend in pay due to saturation (Summary of Community Pharmacist Layoff,Pay Cuts, Other Negatives OCT 2018), it’s likely pay will only be about $50/hr at 32 hrs/week by the time you graduate. That translates to $6933 per month gross pay. About 30% will go to taxes, health insurance, 401k. So your net pay will be $4853 per month.

So now you graduate with $255,238 in loans. Assuming you’re on a 10 year repayment plan at 6% interest, then your monthly payment is $2834 per month. Then that leaves you with only $2019 per month. That’s hardly enough to pay for rent, bills, food... Current average take-home pay in US is $4362 per month. For the next 10 years, you’ll be a doctorate degree holder who will make less than half the national average lol. Still want to go to UOP or any other non-state school?

What’s your financial plan after graduating UOP though? Their cost of attendence is $255,238 total for the entire program....?

+$200K in student loan after pharm school is a minimum for any school in the U.S and seeing that your status is set to Pharmacist, what route did you take and what convinced you to become a pharmacist? From what you've sent you either want us to be fully aware of something that many of us are already aware of or you want us to think of out of state/country schools?

+$200K in student loan after pharm school is a minimum for any school in the U.S and seeing that your status is set to Pharmacist, what route did you take and what convinced you to become a pharmacist? From what you've sent you either want us to be fully aware of something that many of us are already aware of or you want us to think of out of state/country schools?
I graduated 3 years ago with about $150k in loans actually. I’m from Cali too but went out of state to a public school for pharmacy. I wanted to be a pharmacist because I liked interacting with the public (vs going the research route where you’re cooped in a lab), and I thought it was a good salary (true still for now) and that it would give me a lot of flexibility on where to work (false). I wouldn’t say I regret it, but I would definitely picked something else if I could go back. My situation is okay for now though since I’ve been making ~$120k+ a year and always get 40+ hours a week, but seeing how things are changing and all the cuts I’ve been reading about, I know that’s not going to last. Thankfully by the time our salaries drop to $80k, I’ll most likely have my loans paid off.

However you guys are in a different situation than I am because now, tuitions are at an all time high, PharmDs are graduating in record numbers, all while salaries and job opportunities are quickly decreasing. I’m sorry but you’re just not going to make $120/yr when you graduate (why should salaries remain the same when supply overwhelming outpaces demand?).While pharmacy school is overall a bad financial investment now, at least try going out of state so you end up with less than $150k of debt when you graduate. You say many of you are already aware. If so then why choose to go to a doctorate school so that you end up making less money than the average income (assuming you’re lucky enough to get a job)?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Their point is that taking out $200k+ in loans to enter a highly stressful and saturated profession which you expect to earn $80k/year (if you can even find employment) is a terrible investment. You could do much better as a software engineer which you can earn $100k straight out of undergrad (or even after a coding bootcamp) without having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

Their point is that taking out $200k+ in loans to enter a highly stressful and saturated profession which you expect to earn $80k/year (if you can even find employment) is a terrible investment. You could do much better as a software engineer which you can earn $100k straight out of undergrad (or even after a coding bootcamp) without having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.
Not everyone want to be a software engineer. Some people like to pursue a career they enjoy not just because of money.

Not everyone want to be a software engineer. Some people like to pursue a career they enjoy not just because of money.
You don't have to be a software engineer, that is just an example. There are plenty of career options that will give you better job opportunities and better or comparable pay to pharmacist. However, if you are okay with living poor, not being able to live where you want to live, and be at constant risk of layoffs and cuts just so you can live out your dream of being a pharmacist then go ahead, you have my support 100%. But I know that is not the case for most people - unfortunately most people don't know the true cost of becoming a pharmacist. I just want to make people aware.

It can takes months after the interview to hear back. Some students will be placed on alternate list and get accepts after that. Keep emailing the school and ask about your status to show them that you are very passionate about pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I gathered, if you have'nt had an interview yet they said that interviews are conducted through March, but you are notified at least 2 weeks before hand. So I think the last round of interview invitations are sent out around March 11 and everyone is notified by April whether they got in or not. I could be wrong.

From what I gathered, if you have'nt had an interview yet they said that interviews are conducted through March, but you are notified at least 2 weeks before hand. So I think the last round of interview invitations are sent out around March 11 and everyone is notified by April whether they got in or not. I could be wrong.
That's unfortunate. Then, basically, anyone who wasn't a super* strong candidate will have to wait until April to find out whether they were accepted/waitlisted/denied. Since they give out acceptances early on only to a select few after the interviews.

That's unfortunate. Then, basically, anyone who wasn't a super* strong candidate will have to wait until April to find out whether they were accepted/waitlisted/denied. Since they give out acceptances early on only to a select few after the interviews.

without an interview you are not even considered for admission. : /

without an interview you are not even considered for admission. : /
Yea I understand that. I already had my interview last year, they put me on hold. I was more so hoping to get a response sooner though instead of having to wait until April. This was the primary school I wanted to go to and I was waiting to decide whether I want to do extra studying for PCAT, etc + experience/working. I decided not to do any of those in the chance that I would be able to get in because I didn't want to waste time if it wasn't a for sure need. But it's just been months of waiting.

Yea I understand that. I already had my interview last year, they put me on hold. I was more so hoping to get a response sooner though instead of having to wait until April. This was the primary school I wanted to go to and I was waiting to decide whether I want to do extra studying for PCAT, etc + experience/working. I decided not to do any of those in the chance that I would be able to get in because I didn't want to waste time if it wasn't a for sure need. But it's just been months of waiting.

I am in the same boat. Have'nt gotten a reply yet, so well see

have any of you heard back yet? i was reading through some stuff i had lying around it said most decisions are mailed on march 1 and a few on april 1st