University of the West Indies (UWI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CognitiveNeuro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are two candidates applying to match. They both have identical applications (Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores of 250+, LoR, USCE, US Citizens), but one went to a low tier school like Windsor/USAT and the other went UWI.

Now, how much of an advantage would the UWI candidate have over the other, in matching, let's say for Internal Medicine?

I'd wager that the UWI applicant might get 1-2 extra interviews but that's it, am I right?

Members don't see this ad.

The chances of either marching are equally low.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already knew this and I expected to see that on this board. But the question was, which school would have more interviews UWI or USAT/Windsor considering the applicant has the same credentials (high step 1 and step 2 ck scores of 250+, USCE, etc). I would appreciate it if the response is that both would carry the same rate.

Both are about the same. What about the resume/CV, interpersonal skills, personality?

I already knew this and I expected to see that on this board. But the question was, which school would have more interviews UWI or USAT/Windsor considering the applicant has the same credentials (high step 1 and step 2 ck scores of 250+, USCE, etc). I would appreciate it if the response is that both would carry the same rate.
Zero=zero. Yes, the same rate.

Reactions: 1 users
Zero=zero. Yes, the same rate.

Well, there's 5 people I know personally that matched from UWI this year (at least one campus and there are several in the Caribbean), so that zero is disputable. Also, only a handful of people actually write the USMLE exams there. One even got into General Surgery at a prestigious institution with no USCE and average scores.

But if you say they would be the same rate, then I appreciate the response.

Well, there's at least 5 people I know personally that matched from UWI this year (at least one campus and there are several in the Caribbean), so that zero is disputable. One even got into General Surgery at a prestigious institution with no USCE.
I have neither interviewed nor do I know of any program in CA that has interviewed anyone from either of these institutions. Is it possible that some poor PD in the past has been so desperate that he resorted to this depth, yes. Have I ever seen it, no.

Given the number of applicants, I maintain that the odds hover very close to zero for both institutions.
I have seen no evidence that one is superior to the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I have neither interviewed nor do I know of any program in CA that has interviewed anyone from either of these institutions. Is is possible that some poor PD in the past has been so desperate that he resorted to this depth, yes. Have I ever seen it, no.

I appreciate the repsonse. I hope those poor PDs in Columbia and Howard interview me though.
Also, as a PD, how much emphasis do you place on the school? in comparison to the scores on the Steps, USCE and other factors? Thanks

I appreciate the repsonse. I hope those poor PDs in Columbia and Howard interview me though.
Also, as a PD, how much emphasis do you place on the school? in comparison to the scores on the Steps, USCE and other factors? Thanks
I'm sorry. You have my sympathy.

These schools will have equally weak name recognition/reputation.

Also, one more question if you don't mind. Would a student attending SGU/Ross/AUA have a much higher chance of matching in your eyes? (with all aspects of the CV identical hypothetically), or would it only slightly higher? Thanks and that's the last question.

Reactions: 1 user
Would a student attending SGU/Ross/AUA have a much higher chance of matching in your eyes? (with all aspects of the CV identical hypothetically), or would it only slightly higher? Thanks and that's the last question.
Yes, I have seen SGU and Ross grads at Bakersfield. AUA, not so much.

I would say only slightly higher, because those are also international med schools. But if those stats are for US MD student then it'll be very very very easy for him/her. I would say it'll be little easier for Ross/SGU student to get residency with those stats compared to someone from UWI or Winsdor, cuz Ross and Sgu has good track record and many residency directors know about those schools and have worked with their grads before. Good Luck!