University of Toledo MSBS 2012-2013 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wtf? My gpa is a bit better and we have the similar mcat . I wonder what sets us apart? Yo have acceptance at Other schools right? Is it just mcat scores that count here?

Yeah, I mean I was surprised by how many acceptances I got (not complaining). I think I have some great letters, good EC including LOTS of volunteering/shadowing/EMT-B.. practically the only SMP I didn't get into was RFU which is in my home state, I couldn't believe it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I mean I was surprised by how many acceptances I got (not complaining). I think I have some great letters, good EC including LOTS of volunteering/shadowing/EMT-B.. practically the only SMP I didn't get into was RFU which is in my home state, I couldn't believe it.

This is what sets us apart really. I don't have that kind of experence only shadowing, clinical volunteering and medical scribing. It is good you got into many programs, I applied way to late is my issue and I hoped this program would be my saving grace. Doesn't look like it though.

So strange I have very similar stats and ecs and the only school I did get into was rfu! Who knows how these things work I'm not complaining. But the cost of toledo makes it very attractive.

Members don't see this ad :)
So strange I have very similar stats and ecs and the only school I did get into was rfu! Who knows how these things work I'm not complaining. But the cost of toledo makes it very attractive.

The wait for Toledo is way too long. I am going to apply to a few other programs just in case this one falls through

Just got my acceptance email today! So thrilled! I'm pretty sure I'm going here, so let me know when you guys get in, so we can band together and figure out housing and such :)

Good luck!

Just got my acceptance email today! So thrilled! I'm pretty sure I'm going here, so let me know when you guys get in, so we can band together and figure out housing and such :)

Good luck!
Congrats...
Interesting how most of us have been waiting on this forum and have heard nothing but meh.... Then your first post is I got in, well not a bad start.

So what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Ahhh So they sent out acceptances yesterday and today and I got nothing :(

Last edited:
Congrats...
Interesting how most of us have been waiting on this forum and have heard nothing but meh.... Then your first post is I got in, well not a bad start.

So what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Haha, I'll admit, I really just lurked around SDN now and then as a guest. Thought I'd put myself out there, and finally make a post :)

My stats are average, but I had a lot of volunteering, both clinical/non, ~2 yrs of lab research, and fairly decent letters. I only applied to this SMP, so I spent almost a month (probably too long) on my statement, making it really school specific, and tried to emphasize why I thought it was the only school for me. I am also in state, although I don't know if that is taken into consideration.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I am trying to choose between Toledo's masters program and University of South Florida's masters program and I would love some help. My goal is to get into medical school. My GPA and MCAT scores are not good and I need to go somewhere that will give me the best chance of getting in afterwards. I am a Florida resident, and Florida medical schools really give priority to their residents, so I have that going for me. You can, however, be considered an Ohio resident after living there for a year, so if and when I applied to UT medical school (if I did their masters program), I would probably be considered an in-state Ohio resident. Here are the pros and cons of the 2 masters programs:

Toledo
- small program ~50
- ~$48k for the 1 year program
- guaranteed interview to their med school, classes with medical school students
- ~70% acceptance rate into their med school
- in Ohio (don't know much about that state)
- may have a connection to do extra research

USF
- big program ~250
- ~$12k for the 1 year program
- no real connection to their med school, no med school classes, no interview
- in Florida, close to home
- opportunity to do research with a faculty member who could push my med school app to USF in the positive direction very much so

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have about 5 days to make a decision.

Hey everyone,

I am trying to choose between Toledo's masters program and University of South Florida's masters program and I would love some help. My goal is to get into medical school. My GPA and MCAT scores are not good and I need to go somewhere that will give me the best chance of getting in afterwards. I am a Florida resident, and Florida medical schools really give priority to their residents, so I have that going for me. You can, however, be considered an Ohio resident after living there for a year, so if and when I applied to UT medical school (if I did their masters program), I would probably be considered an in-state Ohio resident. Here are the pros and cons of the 2 masters programs:

Toledo
- small program ~50
- ~$48k for the 1 year program
- guaranteed interview to their med school, classes with medical school students
- ~70% acceptance rate into their med school
- in Ohio (don't know much about that state)
- may have a connection to do extra research

USF
- big program ~250
- ~$12k for the 1 year program
- no real connection to their med school, no med school classes, no interview
- in Florida, close to home
- opportunity to do research with a faculty member who could push my med school app to USF in the positive direction very much so

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have about 5 days to make a decision.

Let me start by saying i would like your spot!

But I think you should go to toledo and just work hard. You will be in state after a year and the tuiton will become very reasonable (cheaper than your smp year)

Congrats to all of you who got accepted. I applied very early but I still haven't heard back yet! For those of you who got accepted, how many days did they give you to decide? I have been waiting for so long, it would be nice to hear back soon :(

Congrats to all of you who got accepted. I applied very early but I still haven't heard back yet! For those of you who got accepted, how many days did they give you to decide? I have been waiting for so long, it would be nice to hear back soon :(

The email I got said that they must receive your intent "within 7 calendar days", which makes sense if they'll be sending out their second wave of acceptances in about two weeks, like someone else said. I don't think UT is on rolling admissions (I went complete May 1). Good luck!!

The email I got said that they must receive your intent "within 7 calendar days", which makes sense if they'll be sending out their second wave of acceptances in about two weeks, like someone else said. I don't think UT is on rolling admissions (I went complete May 1). Good luck!!

Yep no rolling admissions. The best win at this school. It is truly a top down approach. So those that they feel have the best rankings get the first offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
First post on SDN. I was also admitted on 6/19 and am pretty set on attending this program.

23 year old female from OOS looking for roommates for this coming fall

So how many acceptances has this school sent out already? They couldn't have filled up the class in the first week could they?

Hi I just got accepted too, 24 year old female, and I'm looking for a roommate as well... If don't mind maybe we could email each other and chat more. I plan on looking for place July 6 weekend

First post on SDN. I was also admitted on 6/19 and am pretty set on attending this program.

23 year old female from OOS looking for roommates for this coming fall

I meant to insert this quote in the above post... New to the forum

If you don't mind, what are your stats?

PM'd

Hi I just got accepted too, 24 year old female, and I'm looking for a roommate as well... If don't mind maybe we could email each other and chat more. I plan on looking for place July 6 weekend

yeah definitely. I'm OOS but will be in the area that weekend as well, and was planning to check out the campus and hunt for apartments. I already got a message from another girl who is also looking -- maybe the three of us could work something out? I'm PM you more details

Don't worry yet everybody... U Tol still has another two rounds of acceptances to give out... Keep your fingers crossed we can still make it....:xf::luck::luck::xf:

Hi,
I have applied to this program as well but haven't heard back from them yet. This is my top choice and then it's cinni and last, Temple. My stats are 3.68 com/3.74sci GPA, 29Q MCAT and bunch of ECs. Got accepted to EVMS but didn't go (Too expensive!), got wait listed at Cinni and still waiting to hear from Temple. It seems like we are in similar situations. Waiting sucks because I missed a great opportunity to visit east Asia this summer to prepare for these programs. I hope to hear back from Temple so I can take a little break and enjoy summer at least. Best of luck to you and thanks for your great posts on this thread...

Hi,
I have applied to this program as well but haven't heard back from them yet. This is my top choice and then it's cinni and last, Temple. My stats are 3.68 com/3.74sci GPA, 29Q MCAT and bunch of ECs. Got accepted to EVMS but didn't go (Too expensive!), got wait listed at Cinni and still waiting to hear from Temple. It seems like we are in similar situations. Waiting sucks because I missed a great opportunity to visit east Asia this summer to prepare for these programs. I hope to hear back from Temple so I can take a little break and enjoy summer at least. Best of luck to you and thanks for your great posts on this thread...

Why in the world are you applying to smps at all with stats like that? Your grads are awesome, you would be insane to go to an smp with stats like those. If your MCAT ( which isn't that bad imo) is the problem just retake it.

Don't worry yet everybody... U Tol still has another two rounds of acceptances to give out... Keep your fingers crossed we can still make it....:xf::luck::luck::xf:

It is so good to hear this! I love this program! I visted campus early April and totally loved everything about the school. It is my top choice and my application was complete late March but still have not heard anything :(

I'm 23 from OOS and trying to narrow down the housing search

If there are any other females interested in finding housing nearby PM me

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! :)

Yaaay, Just got my acceptance today. I am applying because with these grades I didn't even get an interview last year and I dread studying for MCAT once more. I killed myself and the best score I ever got on Verbal was 8, so I'm not taking a chance on that. And also, this program gives you an MS in one year, guaranteed interview and in state residency. What else can I ask for?! Good luck to all of you. Hopefully I will see bunch of you out there. Also, I will be looking for room mates. If anyone is interested, shoot me a private email and we can swap information.

Congrats!
Does that mean you will pay in-state Tuition if you get into Toledo or any other Ohio schools?
I am getting some mixed information on that.

I was wondering about that too. From browsing through the 2011 and 2010 smp threads it looks like you can get in-state residency provided you do a few things like file taxes as an independent and get a state driver's license. A User named Redwings i believe had written a good post about it, he did mention that Toledo can help you find out what needs to be done to get instate residency for the following year.

Hey guys! I just got accepted to this program today and I'm positive I wanna go there. From looking at previous forums, they made a Facebook group for everyone who plans on going to help find roommates. I just made one for our class, so I hope you'll join it :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/334414476636057/

Can't wait to meet you all in August! Good luck to those waiting to hear back

Hi 24 year old OOS female looking for roommates who would want to live close to campus. PM me if interested

Hey guys! I just got accepted to this program today and I'm positive I wanna go there. From looking at previous forums, they made a Facebook group for everyone who plans on going to help find roommates. I just made one for our class, so I hope you'll join it :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/334414476636057/

Can't wait to meet you all in August! Good luck to those waiting to hear back

I Got in today!!! Good luck everyone still waiting!!!! :)Thank You for creating this page!

Accepted. Will definitely attend. :):) Good luck to everyone who still waiting

Sent from my Droid using SDN Mobile.

I'm sitting on a couple acceptances to EVMS as well as Toledo, but I have some financial queries to clear up first before I can pass on an acceptance to another deserving student! As a current California resident, is it easier to get in-state status through the EVMS Medical Masters or the Toledo MSBS? Anyone have a clue? Thanks!

I'm sitting on a couple acceptances to EVMS as well as Toledo, but I have some financial queries to clear up first before I can pass on an acceptance to another deserving student! As a current California resident, is it easier to get in-state status through the EVMS Medical Masters or the Toledo MSBS? Anyone have a clue? Thanks!

Ohio is much easier

Does anyone know if you need to retake the MCAT once you get accepted into this program?

There's no crying in baseball!

Last edited:
Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me, aren't you?

Last edited:
Yup. After staying in Ohio for one year, you will pay instate tuition, that was one of the major reasons for me to go to this program.

Last edited:
Anyone accepted to UToledo and EVMS? Which one would you guys choose and why?

Anyone accepted to UToledo and EVMS? Which one would you guys choose and why?

I was sure I was going to EVMS, then just backed out and chose Toledo for the realistic possibility (based on the information I've gathered) of paying in-state tuition.

For those who are still waitting, if this is your top choice, you should send them a letter of intent and/or call the office to let them know that you are still interested. When I called, Angela told me that she would mark my file to let the admission people know that I'm still interested. I was accepted the following week, not sure that was the reason but anything helps at this point. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using SDN Mobile.

Just sent a letter of interest... I hope it helps.... I really want to go to this school:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

This is interesting. Doesn't hurt to try!

No it doesn't and at this point I need all the help I can get.... Just found out one of my letters of Rec is bad... really bad. Insulting in fact. So I am scrambling to get into any program that still has seats left....

No it doesn't and at this point I need all the help I can get.... Just found out one of my letters of Rec is bad... really bad. Insulting in fact. So I am scrambling to get into any program that still has seats left....
Wow. That sucks. I can't enough how it feels like to know that the person you depend on is writing you a bad letter. Are you sitting on other postbac acceptances, at least?

Wow. That sucks. I can't enough how it feels like to know that the person you depend on is writing you a bad letter. Are you sitting on other postbac acceptances, at least?

Yeah and it is from a person that i gave alot of time to and even had drinks with we had disagreements but nothing bad then this happens not happy. No i dont have a single acceptance to any postbacc because of this. I was waitlisted at evms and u cinni because of this letter and now i was rejected from wayne state. So i am hoping that the schools i have left will give me something.

Wtf? My gpa is a bit better and we have the similar mcat . I wonder what sets us apart? Yo have acceptance at Other schools right? Is it just mcat scores that count here?

lors/personal statement/time of submission/state of residency

lots of factors.

I was sure I was going to EVMS, then just backed out and chose Toledo for the realistic possibility (based on the information I've gathered) of paying in-state tuition.

Is there anymore input on this? I have to respond to Toledo by tomorrow so I'm just trying to weigh my options some more. Thanks!