University of Toronto, class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey folks!

So a friend of mine applied last week and they were number 169. Any current updates on what number we're at for the applicant pool? Do you guys think more/less people will be applying for 2012 entry?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks!

So a friend of mine applied last week and they were number 169. Any current updates on what number we're at for the applicant pool? Do you guys think more/less people will be applying for 2012 entry?

I applied in september and I am number 36. I imagine more people will apply once exams are over, and they have the time to devote to it. Plus, you'll have the rush of applicants at the end too. I doubt there will be a shortage of applications.

Just wondering what the major difference is between PharmD and BSc in Pharmacy, as it relates to the real world?

...and yes, I'm familiar with: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PharmD+vs.+BSc+Pharm

Looking for your inputs. :)

Bsc pharm, you can practice anywhere in Canada. However pharmD is needed if you want to do research, academia, or higher leadership positions in pharmacy. As of 2003, a pharmD is needed for anyone who wants to work in the States.

This "new curriculum" gone by class of 2015, 16,....is supposed to give entry level pharmD...but it is still not approved by the Ministry, its been waiting approval over 2 yrs. So in the end if its not approved, u will just get Bsc-phm, and if u want to do more school, u can apply for graduate pharmD (for which u need 3.3 in pharm school every yr, and very few seats for that). So lets just hope Entry level PharmD is approved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bsc pharm, you can practice anywhere in Canada. However pharmD is needed if you want to do research, academia, or higher leadership positions in pharmacy. As of 2003, a pharmD is needed for anyone who wants to work in the States.

This "new curriculum" gone by class of 2015, 16,....is supposed to give entry level pharmD...but it is still not approved by the Ministry, its been waiting approval over 2 yrs. So in the end if its not approved, u will just get Bsc-phm, and if u want to do more school, u can apply for graduate pharmD (for which u need 3.3 in pharm school every yr, and very few seats for that). So lets just hope Entry level PharmD is approved.

Thank you for the thorough reply. Much better information than I found on my own research.

Arent you guys concerned about the job market?

New challenger approaching!

McGill U
GPA: 3.86
PCAT: I/P
Extracurrics: lots.

Conditionally accepted to Waterloo for 2013, so thought I'd try out for U of T as well. =)

It's nice to see a fellow McGillian on the thread =)

If Pharm. D gets approved after 2016, will the class of 2015 and 2016 be upgraded to Pharm. D because the curriculum is basically Pharm. D?

how do u guys know how many ppl applied prior to you?? by looking at the applicant ID??

New challenger approaching!

McGill U
GPA: 3.86
PCAT: I/P
Extracurrics: lots.

Conditionally accepted to Waterloo for 2013, so thought I'd try out for U of T as well. =)
Wait...what do you mean conditional acceptance to waterloo for 2013? I thought applications were due in January.

It's a messed up drama, lol.

Long story short:
1. I applied with a missing microbiology course
2. They didn't realize I was missing microbiology and I got an offer of admission for 2012
3. They found out I was missing microbiology and took away offer
4. We discussed things and they're giving me until Sept. 2012 to pass a microbiology course for a guaranteed spot in 2013.

tl;dr: all I have to do is pass microbiology next semester and I'm already accepted for Waterloo.

I love the word microbiology (not really)

It's a messed up drama, lol.

Long story short:
1. I applied with a missing microbiology course
2. They didn't realize I was missing microbiology and I got an offer of admission for 2012
3. They found out I was missing microbiology and took away offer
4. We discussed things and they're giving me until Sept. 2012 to pass a microbiology course for a guaranteed spot in 2013.

tl;dr: all I have to do is pass microbiology next semester and I'm already accepted for Waterloo.

I love the word microbiology (not really)
ahh makes sense. I was freaking out that I had missed a chance for early admissions or something :p

LOL that was the early admissions for 2012 they had last month.

Members don't see this ad :)
If Pharm. D gets approved after 2016, will the class of 2015 and 2016 be upgraded to Pharm. D because the curriculum is basically Pharm. D?

Yes that is correct, the dean told us this. But lets hope it doesn't take that long to get approved.

Hi Guys!

I'm an out of province student from the maritimes. I just wanted to know from the IT5 class how many OOP's there are and if any of them are from the maritimes. Somehow gives me some hope/comfort.

My cgpa is 4.1/4.3 scale and my pcat composite is 95. I somehow managed to get 3 and 3 for writing and problem solving (sooo bad on one of the writing samples not even kidding so i guess i got lucky)

I just have a question on the PharmD issue. I've checked the website and the only information I can find about it is a combined PharmD/pharmacy degree which is 5 years long and requires additional interview/gpa assesment. How sure are the IT5ers that by the time they graduate it will be with a PharmD?

Because things out in Ontario and UBC are way more competitive than in the maritimes. A lot of gpa differences are involved, and since i would like to pursue a pharmD i'm wondering if it would be better to suffer in Halifax get a B. Sc in pharm and get a high gpa then apply to PharmD program at UBC or UofT.

im out of province, from BC. originally from alberta.

for 1t5 year the # of out of province applicants fell below their quota so every out of province person that was qualified offered admission got in.

Hi Guys!

I'm an out of province student from the maritimes. I just wanted to know from the IT5 class how many OOP's there are and if any of them are from the maritimes. Somehow gives me some hope/comfort.

My cgpa is 4.1/4.3 scale and my pcat composite is 95. I somehow managed to get 3 and 3 for writing and problem solving (sooo bad on one of the writing samples not even kidding so i guess i got lucky)

I just have a question on the PharmD issue. I've checked the website and the only information I can find about it is a combined PharmD/pharmacy degree which is 5 years long and requires additional interview/gpa assesment. How sure are the IT5ers that by the time they graduate it will be with a PharmD?

Because things out in Ontario and UBC are way more competitive than in the maritimes. A lot of gpa differences are involved, and since i would like to pursue a pharmD i'm wondering if it would be better to suffer in Halifax get a B. Sc in pharm and get a high gpa then apply to PharmD program at UBC or UofT.

either way i think we will get the D. if you really care about it that is. in fact every province in canada will soon follow suit for standardization. if your decision is about $s, i say follow the most affordable choice. but in my opinion, 4-5 years is a big chunk of your life, and you i would like to be as comfortable and happy as possible. For some people, quality of life and the city you live in plays a more important factor. After all, a pharmacist that graduated from UBC will be just as good as a pharmacist from UofT.

also, i might be mistaken, but you might end up paying a lot more in tuition for the pharm D after you get a bsc phm, depending on the program and school opposed to just doing the 4 years of bsc phm at uoft (for example).

o yea, and another obvious would be that applying for the bsc pharm D upgrade after your bsc pharm would probably be ultra competitive because there are probably way fewer seats, higher admission criteria, and even crazier brainiacs fighting for the same spots. but in juxtaposition, there is a possibility that many don't even apply into it.

In any case, I think it is a good guess to assume that theres more hoops to jump through to do the pharm D upgrade after your bsc pharm.

Anyone know what application number we are at now?

Wondering the same thing! For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about: If you look at your submitted application the applicant ID number will start with 2011???? and apparently we start at 1000.

i'm 332 and i applied the night before early bird deadline....i'm guessing it should be 400ish now?

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

i'm 332 and i applied the night before early bird deadline....i'm guessing it should be 400ish now?

so I take it it's 20121 + number? I just sent mine in and it's 424. Unless the 1 counts, and it would be 1424 (which would be scary O_O)

so I take it it's 20121 + number? I just sent mine in and it's 424. Unless the 1 counts, and it would be 1424 (which would be scary O_O)

Wow, 424 just seems a bit too low, and 1424 would be too large!!! I think last year it was about 600 people, and I always thought that applicant numbers for this year would increase slightly compared to last year! I could be wrong though.

Wow, 424 just seems a bit too low, and 1424 would be too large!!! I think last year it was about 600 people, and I always thought that applicant numbers for this year would increase slightly compared to last year! I could be wrong though.

424 applicants? No complaints from me, that makes it seem like a 55% chance of acceptance if the entering class is 240-ish.
:laugh:

but rmb the deadline for application is jan 11.....there's still plenty of time for ppl to apply.....let's just hope the number of applicants this yr is less or similar to last yr's...

Just Applied...my number is 510 and I'm hoping it stops there ;)

Does anyone know if its absolutely crucial to have the one full course load requirement? I'm in my second year but so far in both years I've taken a full course load minus a half year class. So something like 4.5 full credits both years.

Hey guys, recently joined these forums. I've applied for the U of T Pharmacy program this year. Hope to join you guys for the ride. :D

Although I've read through this thread, I'm obviously not as schooled as some of you guys on the admissions process. I'd like to initially share my stats and receive some feedback on where I stand.

GPA - 3.71 (85-86% average)

PCAT

VA - 58
Bio - 94
RC - 45
QA - 92
Chm - 98

Composite - 91

I totally bombed VA and RC, as I sort of neglected them while studying for the PCAT. Keep in mind these are preliminary scores, and I haven't received the scores from the writing portion as of yet.

I've looked through the previous cutoffs, and even though I flunked VA & RC, I've met the cutoffs comfortably. I'm wondering if these portions will still adversely affect my application, or if they simply look at the composite as long as the cutoffs for each sections are met.

Also, I had a question regarding the pre-requisite courses needed for this program. I'm taking the 2nd year physical/inorganic chemistry requirement this semester, and have the option of making it simply a pass/fail course. Is anyone aware if this has been a problem in the past for people? I did call the Leslie Dan Faculty, and the admissions lady said it shouldn't affect my application. Still, I'm a bit nervous as the pass/fail credit means you pass if you get anything over 50. I don't know how the admissions committee will look at that, especially since this is a chemistry pre-requisite.

Thanks for the help guys! Looking forward to be a regular contributor on this thread.

did you just apply (and if so, what was your applicant #?)
hopefully the applicant pool isn't much larger than 600

Don't pass fail a pre-req. They'll automatically consider it as the lowest possible grade you need to pass (50 I think, unless your school does it differently) when computing GPA averages.

I was feeling confident that I would get accepted to pharm when I applied. I'm in UofT life sci and had a 3.88 GPA and for the PCAT my marks are
VA 89
Bio 98
RC 82
QA 89
Chm 96
Composite 97

But then this semester I got a 71 in chm220 :eek: :( which brought my GPA down to 3.82. I hated that class so much, the quantum mechanics was dreadful. I know it's still not a bad GPA but getting that low in a chem class do you think it will really affect my chances of being accepted.

so did anybody get a number >510?

i'm ball parking it to be maybe 600-700 this year?

I finished my application the night before and I'm applicant 512 :) GPA: 3.46 Verbal: 97 Bio: 96 Reading: 29 lol :< Quantitative: 85 Chem: 98 Composite: 95 I have a good composite, but my reading comprehension score is rather horrifying :( Does anybody know if there's a way to check to see if your transcripts and PCAT (I wrote in January) have been received??

lol 512!? haha thats a great number especially considering u applied the night before =P i thought there'd be a surge of ppl at that time

also, if i recall correctly, someone posted earlier saying that he/she just emailed asking if they got the transcripts and another person said that u can go to the fourth floor of the pharmacy building and ask if they received it

I asked the admissions lady today about # of applicants and she said over 600...not sure how much over 600 though....

Hey guys, recently joined these forums. I've applied for the U of T Pharmacy program this year. Hope to join you guys for the ride. :D

Although I've read through this thread, I'm obviously not as schooled as some of you guys on the admissions process. I'd like to initially share my stats and receive some feedback on where I stand.

GPA - 3.71 (85-86% average)

PCAT

VA - 58
Bio - 94
RC - 45
QA - 92
Chm - 98

Composite - 91

I totally bombed VA and RC, as I sort of neglected them while studying for the PCAT. Keep in mind these are preliminary scores, and I haven't received the scores from the writing portion as of yet.

I've looked through the previous cutoffs, and even though I flunked VA & RC, I've met the cutoffs comfortably. I'm wondering if these portions will still adversely affect my application, or if they simply look at the composite as long as the cutoffs for each sections are met.

Also, I had a question regarding the pre-requisite courses needed for this program. I'm taking the 2nd year physical/inorganic chemistry requirement this semester, and have the option of making it simply a pass/fail course. Is anyone aware if this has been a problem in the past for people? I did call the Leslie Dan Faculty, and the admissions lady said it shouldn't affect my application. Still, I'm a bit nervous as the pass/fail credit means you pass if you get anything over 50. I don't know how the admissions committee will look at that, especially since this is a chemistry pre-requisite.

Thanks for the help guys! Looking forward to be a regular contributor on this thread.

I was feeling confident that I would get accepted to pharm when I applied. I'm in UofT life sci and had a 3.88 GPA and for the PCAT my marks are
VA 89
Bio 98
RC 82
QA 89
Chm 96
Composite 97

But then this semester I got a 71 in chm220 :eek: :( which brought my GPA down to 3.82. I hated that class so much, the quantum mechanics was dreadful. I know it's still not a bad GPA but getting that low in a chem class do you think it will really affect my chances of being accepted.

Ok, so I just wanted to give some very general feedback... guys, there were people last year who go in with PCAT composites in the mid-60's... there were people who had chem marks in the 60's and 70's... there were people who had MUCH lower GPA's than 3.82...
What I'm trying to say to you guys is that don't get to stressed over these tiny "imperfections" in your marks/PCAT scores... believe me, these stats should be more than adequate to make you competitive.

The only real worry should be the interview... no matter how high GPA/PCAT you have, if you mess up the interview you'd be ruled out! So instead of questioning your otherwise stellar stats, start thinking about the interviews.

Just my two cents... best of luck.

VA 89
Bio 98
RC 82
QA 89
Chm 96
Composite 97

Of course a 3.82 will affect your chances. There's no way you are getting in. You need a 3.9 and a 99 percentile PCAT to get into U of T.....You have to get a 90 percent in phys chem to be competitve.... a 70 is much too low.....:laugh:...just kidding...you have a high chance of getting in. Have you been reading this forum. I think your stats are the highest. Why should you even be worried...you're a superstar student!

Don't pass fail a pre-req. They'll automatically consider it as the lowest possible grade you need to pass (50 I think, unless your school does it differently) when computing GPA averages.

Yeah I decided against it. Thanks brother.

Ok, so I just wanted to give some very general feedback... guys, there were people last year who go in with PCAT composites in the mid-60's... there were people who had chem marks in the 60's and 70's... there were people who had MUCH lower GPA's than 3.82...
What I'm trying to say to you guys is that don't get to stressed over these tiny "imperfections" in your marks/PCAT scores... believe me, these stats should be more than adequate to make you competitive.

The only real worry should be the interview... no matter how high GPA/PCAT you have, if you mess up the interview you'd be ruled out! So instead of questioning your otherwise stellar stats, start thinking about the interviews.

Just my two cents... best of luck.

Thanks for the input, bro. Yeah I was just a little worried about my Verbal and RC sections because they're relatively low, but I guess the other scores sort of make up for them. And you're right, focusing on the interview should be the top priority from now.

By the way, anyone who applied on the last day on this forum? I saw that one guy said he was 512 the day before. Were there really 100 applicants on the last day? :p

Hmm, it seems strange that there is only ~600 applicants this year, isn't it normally closer to 1600? And out of curiosity, does anyone know what the typical entering average PCAT scores, and gpa are like? And somewhat unrelated does anyone know if U of T is changing to the pharmD format? Thanks in advance for any replies.

And any ideas what gpa and pcat look like for scholarships? Mine is 3.95/4.0 and VA 92 BIO 98 RC 99 QUANT 91 CHEM 93 Composite 98, anyone know if I have a chance at the scholarships? or do I need to improve these?

Last edited:
Hmm, it seems strange that there is only ~600 applicants this year, isn't it normally closer to 1600? And out of curiosity, does anyone know what the typical entering average PCAT scores, and gpa are like? And somewhat unrelated does anyone know if U of T is changing to the pharmD format? Thanks in advance for any replies.

And any ideas what gpa and pcat look like for scholarships? Mine is 3.95/4.0 and VA 92 BIO 98 RC 99 QUANT 91 CHEM 93 Composite 98, anyone know if I have a chance at the scholarships? or do I need to improve these?

There are a lot of prereq requirements to fullfill, making it difficult for more people to apply. Also, the job market is getting bad repelling people away.