University of Utah and CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sesom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dean of admissions at University of Utah came to our community college last week. Someone asked him if it mattered that our prereqs were from a community college. He pretty much responded that they do not even spend a second on the topic. Also, he said the people who see your grades and the people who review your ECs and interview you are separate and will not even look at where you took your classes.I am sure it is not the same for every medical school. But it is useful to know if you took your pre reqs at a CC and plan on applying there.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a relatively small-ish state school, in a relatively small-ish state, that gets relatively fewer applicants than most schools. Unsurprisingly, their matriculants are overwhelmingly Utah residents.

I'd guess that is their priority, there's no reason for them to discourage or eliminate from consideration any segment of what is already a small target pool. Are you attending CC in Utah?

It's one factor of many, it's always best to make yourself as competitive as possible.

It's a relatively small-ish state school, in a relatively small-ish state, that gets relatively fewer applicants than most schools. Unsurprisingly, their matriculants are overwhelmingly Utah residents.

I'd guess that is their priority, there's no reason for them to discourage or eliminate from consideration any segment of what is already a small target pool. Are you attending CC in Utah?

It's one factor of many, it's always best to make yourself as competitive as possible.

You make a logical point and one he did indicate as well. Yes I do go to CC and will be transfering up to U of U next semester. The main thing I found interesting was that he said he sees your GPA and which school but the adcom did not. Pretty much it is irrelevant where you went to school. He also indicated how much your GPA mattered was simply done via computer. Up until a certain point did not help you, once you surpassed that it had some weight. interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
What the dean said is actually pretty interesting. Aren't CC's not "accredited 4-year colleges"? And don't medical schools only like to consider grades from accredited colleges?

Then again, the above poster did have a point when he/she said that UofU is small and supposedly would like to recruit from within state and if that means pulling from CC's in-state so be it.

Aren't CC's not "accredited 4-year colleges"?

I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. Community colleges are not accredited 4-year colleges, they're accredited 2-year colleges (they don't grant bachelors' degrees). At least the ones I know of are like that, maybe there are other types elsewhere.

And don't medical schools only like to consider grades from accredited colleges?

They look at your grades post-high school, wherever you attended.

It was very nice of this dean to visit the CC and explain what his school does, that reduces the mystery factor for applicants. Schools can vary so much from one to the next, don't assume what happens at one also happens at another. Or what doesn't happen at one also doesn't happen at another.