This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahrtbeatbehind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried a search and poked around for several minutes looking for anyone who applied for the University of Utah this year (class of 2020).

I finished my applications but it was way confusing on the process this year. I was hoping that it wasn't just me. I know they are only accepting 60 students this cycle. If anyone has held any interviews or has been accepted already, I would like to hear your story and any advice you can give me for when I hear back from them!

Members don't see this ad.

I've got an interview for Jan. 29. I've asked around up there and I think that the 28th and 29th are the first interview dates..

Members don't see this ad :)
From the email that I got, it looks like it will be about 2 hours.

Nice. I'm going the 29th. The email didn't give any details. Just a rough estimate of time and the few activities they have planned for us. Like the tour, interview, writing sample, interview, etc.

I interviewed last Thursday. They told me that I might hear as soon as this Friday, but I'm not sure...

How do you think the interview went? I'm really impressed by the school, I'm hoping I get in!

I think it went well! I really want to get in as well. Are you in state our out of state?

Interviewed on 1/28 (I thought I did pretty poorly, had a hard time reading the room during the interview), just got a call from the school saying I've been accepted. Pretty happy as I thought my poor stats were going to preclude me from many interviews, let alone multiple acceptances.

So far it's between here, Colorado, and maybe Iowa (haven't heard back yet, their process takes a little longer) and maybe Michigan (just interviewed with them, but my interviewers seemed to have interests fairly different from my own, so don't know how successful I was there).

Congrats on getting in! I received my acceptance call as well today. Hope to be meeting you in the fall

I received my acceptance last Friday too! Congrats everyone, I look forward to working with all of you in the future. Has anyone heard anything about scholarships- has the top ten scholarship been announced?

Does anyone have any recommendations on apartments to get on the waiting list for in SLC?

Does anyone have any recommendations on apartments to get on the waiting list for in SLC?

I'd recommend trying Craigslist or the classified section of our local news site (www.ksl.com). There are tons of options near the U of U that are relatively affordable (1 bedrooms in the $600-700s), and a lot of them are actually really cool because they are old, unique buildings, or large homes that have been converted into multi-unit homes. In the neighborhood between the lower portion of campus and downtown, I swear almost every other home is a rental unit. Plus, if you are in that area (or any area surrounding the University), you are almost guaranteed to live directly on a bus route that will take you straight up to campus. I would plan on making public transit a part of your life at the U; parking on campus is a joke- pretty expensive and pretty scarce. The air can also get really bad in the winter so the less people driving, the better off we all are. There are a ton of bus and light rail routes that can get you to campus from pretty much anywhere in the Salt Lake area.

Some zip codes/neighborhoods to consider:
  • 84105 (aka Harvard-Yale/North Sugarhouse/East Liberty Park)
  • 84103 (aka the Avenues)
  • 84102 (between the University and Downtown SLC)
  • 84106 (South Sugarhouse/ South SLC)- further from campus/downtown but you'll probably find the cheapest options here.
As a general rule, the further east and north (closer to the University) you live, the more expensive the housing.

Since I've never lived in the apartment complex setting (i.e., pool and gym on site, expensive leases, etc.) I really can't give any advice on those. I've got a friend who lives in one, and he pays $1,100 for a small one-bedroom unit. If you are able to put in a little extra work in finding some independent housing, you might save yourself a lot of money in your first year (especially if you're paying OOS tuition). Hope this helps!

I'd recommend trying Craigslist or the classified section of our local news site (www.ksl.com). There are tons of options near the U of U that are relatively affordable (1 bedrooms in the $600-700s), and a lot of them are actually really cool because they are old, unique buildings, or large homes that have been converted into multi-unit homes. In the neighborhood between the lower portion of campus and downtown, I swear almost every other home is a rental unit. Plus, if you are in that area (or any area surrounding the University), you are almost guaranteed to live directly on a bus route that will take you straight up to campus. I would plan on making public transit a part of your life at the U; parking on campus is a joke- pretty expensive and pretty scarce. The air can also get really bad in the winter so the less people driving, the better off we all are. There are a ton of bus and light rail routes that can get you to campus from pretty much anywhere in the Salt Lake area.

Some zip codes/neighborhoods to consider:
  • 84105 (aka Harvard-Yale/North Sugarhouse/East Liberty Park)
  • 84103 (aka the Avenues)
  • 84102 (between the University and Downtown SLC)
  • 84106 (South Sugarhouse/ South SLC)- further from campus/downtown but you'll probably find the cheapest options here.
As a general rule, the further east and north (closer to the University) you live, the more expensive the housing.

Since I've never lived in the apartment complex setting (i.e., pool and gym on site, expensive leases, etc.) I really can't give any advice on those. I've got a friend who lives in one, and he pays $1,100 for a small one-bedroom unit. If you are able to put in a little extra work in finding some independent housing, you might save yourself a lot of money in your first year (especially if you're paying OOS tuition). Hope this helps!

This was super helpful, thank you so much!

Anybody received any word about who we need to send our transcripts to, how we go about getting our internships, etc. ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anybody received any word about who we need to send our transcripts to, how we go about getting our internships, etc. ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I received an email from the graduate school requesting transcripts, so I sent mine just to the graduate school. As for everything else, I have yet to receive any more information. Although, upon receipt of my deposit I was told that I would be receiving an email by this Monday, but I haven't gotten anything else yet.