University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bad Mojo

Cold as Ice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about U. of Washington (Seattle).

How exactly does the admission process work?
As far as I can gather, there is a short MSTP primary, and then you wait for a secondary, right? Do you have to get and complete the secondary before interview offers? I got the primary in kind of late, but haven't heard anything and am hoping for a bit of magic with this one.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Bad Mojo
Quick question about U. of Washington (Seattle).

How exactly does the admission process work?
As far as I can gather, there is a short MSTP primary, and then you wait for a secondary, right? Do you have to get and complete the secondary before interview offers? I got the primary in kind of late, but haven't heard anything and am hoping for a bit of magic with this one.

After you submit your primary, your app will be reviewed to determine if you are invited for a secondary which is just an optional personal statement, why UW, classes you took (all online), $35 and your recs. After those are completed, your file will be reviewed by the committee to see if an interview is warranted. There are 3 interview dates. All e-mail is automated and letters are sent via snail mail.

Admissions to MSTP and MD are completely separate. They wont even schedule MD interviews (for WA residents) with MSTP. MSTP is pretty much the only way that someone from outside the northwest can attend UW.

Originally posted by looseygoosey
All e-mail is automated

Is it? I got an email about being on hold at UW. The email suggested I submit supplementary materials.

I responded asking if letters from post-docs (who know my work best) would be helpful, but haven't received a response. What are your feelings on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Newquagmire
Is it? I got an email about being on hold at UW. The email suggested I submit supplementary materials.

I responded asking if letters from post-docs (who know my work best) would be helpful, but haven't received a response. What are your feelings on this?

I would suggest calling the UW administrator Niki at (206) 685-0762. She has been really helpful when i called her.

Originally posted by looseygoosey
I would suggest calling the UW administrator Niki at (206) 685-0762. She has been really helpful when i called her.

Thanks, Goose. As they say here, "cheers mate." Best of luck if you're applying this cycle.

Newquagmire,

Let us know what Niki says about the post-doc rec letter thing.

Thanks!

Originally posted by ninebillion
Newquagmire,

Let us know what Niki says about the post-doc rec letter thing.

Thanks!

UW says go ahead and send anything you think may be helpful. Goose, I take my luck back. Seems like I'm going to need it more than you :laugh: