University of Waterloo c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterloowannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
The application for admission in Jan 2013 has officially opened!
Please share your thoughts/stats/questions etc..

and good luck to everyone! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
The application for admission in Jan 2013 has officially opened!
Please share your thoughts/stats/questions etc..

and good luck to everyone! :xf:

It feels like yesterday when I posted my first comments on 2014, and 2015 threads...

Anyways, just wanted to wish everyone who's applying this year good luck :)

It feels like yesterday when I posted my first comments on 2014, and 2015 threads...

Thank you, and good luck to you for the next four years ahead!

Members don't see this ad :)

ugh, me too! how are you helloeveryone?! Excited for Monday, I'm sure. :) Good luck on your first year of pharmacy.

ANDDD, good luck to the future UW School of Pharmacy applicants. Nothing is impossible. Stay determined and you will get far. :) :luck:

ugh, me too! how are you helloeveryone?! Excited for Monday, I'm sure. :) Good luck on your first year of pharmacy.

ANDDD, good luck to the future UW School of Pharmacy applicants. Nothing is impossible. Stay determined and you will get far. :) :luck:

Thank you! Good luck to you too!
Lol, it seems I am the only one posting on here..
I wonder where all the other applicants are?!

Hi everyone,

I am applying to UW this year. Hope we'll meet in real life and be classmates. Good luck everyone:).

Hi :)

Is it ur first time applying?

No it's not. I didn't meet all prereqs the first time.:(

Anyways, has any one actually gotten the essay question. I am waiting to get the money to pay for about $200 application fee but would love to start writing the essay in the meantime. :love:Is the question the same as previous years--why do you think you would make a good pharmacist and why do you choose UW?

No it's not. I didn't meet all prereqs the first time.:(

Anyways, has any one actually gotten the essay question. I am waiting to get the money to pay for about $200 application fee but would love to start writing the essay in the meantime. :love:Is the question the same as previous years--why do you think you would make a good pharmacist and why do you choose UW?

Yep

Are you guys applying for Jan 2012 or Jan 2013?
I have applied for Jan 2012, but haven't heard anything about the interview yet... When should the applicants expect to hear about the interview? :xf:

Are you guys applying for Jan 2012 or Jan 2013?
I have applied for Jan 2012, but haven't heard anything about the interview yet... When should the applicants expect to hear about the interview? :xf:

Interviews usually come out at around early to mid November, although that's what it was for me last year :p

Good luck on your application nonetheless!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews usually come out at around early to mid November, although that's what it was for me last year :p

Good luck on your application nonetheless!

Thanks :) Do you know how many seats are available for the early admission? I thought the interview was on rolling basis, and I submitted everything a couple of weeks ago. Does everyone get an interview during the same time period?

Thanks :) Do you know how many seats are available for the early admission? I thought the interview was on rolling basis, and I submitted everything a couple of weeks ago. Does everyone get an interview during the same time period?

I also applied for the 2012 admissions.
I submitted everything by second week of September (application, AP and reference letter) but I still have not heard back about the interview! :S

I also applied for the 2012 admissions.
I submitted everything by second week of September (application, AP and reference letter) but I still have not heard back about the interview! :S

I know..I don't understand why they encouraged early submission when it doesn't even make any difference. By the way, what does it show under your Test score results (in Quest)??

I know..I don't understand why they encouraged early submission when it doesn't even make any difference. By the way, what does it show under your Test score results (in Quest)??

it says: "No Test Data Submitted"

Yeah, that's what it says for me as well. Thanks for confirming :) Is this your first time applying?
No, this would be my second time. The first time I made it to the interview stage..and I honestly dont know what went wrong :s

No, this would be my second time. The first time I made it to the interview stage..and I honestly dont know what went wrong :s

Sorry to hear that. What kind of questions do they ask during interview? This is my first time applying.. I'm kinda nervous :( Did you apply for jan 2012 admission cycle before?

Hello everyone !!

I got my interview today for Waterloo School of Pharmacy for the class of January 2012.

Has anyone gone through the interview process and has some tips / pointers? :)

Sorry to hear that. What kind of questions do they ask during interview? This is my first time applying.. I'm kinda nervous :( Did you apply for jan 2012 admission cycle before?

mmm..I got asked something along the lines of:
1. Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
2. Where do you see yourself in 5 year?
3. Give us a time where you played a leadership role.

This is my second time applying for 2012.

Did you hear back about an interview yet?

Hello everyone !!

I got my interview today for Waterloo School of Pharmacy for the class of January 2012.

Congratsss!!!
When is your interview?
Do you have any ideas in mind for your 5-10 min presentation?

Thanks for the questions.
This is your second time applying? I hope you get it this time !!! :)

My interview is on the 19th of November. Do you have an interview as well, when is yours?

What about the Reading Comprehension / Writing test, how is that?
Is it all virtual or how is it ?
what do they make you read? like an article or?

As for the 5-10 min presentation, i am most likely going to talk alot about my travel experiences. how about you? :)
Since you're already went through the process i wanted to hear your thoughts about what you would talk about / how you would go about answering those questions?

Is Waterloo's pharmacy program equivalent to a pharmD program like U of T's?

Are you guys going to travel to Waterloo in the morning? I was wondering if there are any nearby hotels where one can stay overnight ...any idea?

Is Waterloo's pharmacy program equivalent to a pharmD program like U of T's?

No, it isnt. Waterloo is 'supporting' UofT's bid for a doctor in pharmacy program but according to one of the presentations I went to, Waterloo will not implement that program until UofT's program is approved. So I'm guessing it will take some time since Waterloo just got accreditation.

If previous applicants don't mind sharing, can you give an idea of what we need to talk about in 5-10 min presentation? Does every applicant answer the same questions for the interview?

Also, I thought it would be great if I could go to Waterloo a night before the interview. Has anyone done this before? Are there any suggestions in regard to places, etc?

No, it isnt. Waterloo is 'supporting' UofT's bid for a doctor in pharmacy program but according to one of the presentations I went to, Waterloo will not implement that program until UofT's program is approved. So I'm guessing it will take some time since Waterloo just got accreditation.

U of T's curriculum is equivalent to a U.S. PharmD. Waterloo's curriculum is rigourous too--you have to take 7 or 8 courses per term. The difference seems to be the name.

Waterloo hasn't asserted that its program is like U of Ts or a pharmD but the curriculum seems as challenging. I am confused.

Hey guys,

So I applied for the Jan 2012 startdate at Waterloo and got an interview! I'm excited but don't know what to talk about for my 5-10 min presentation.
"You are encouraged to be creative and innovative, in order to express and distinguish yourself" So I'm wondering what exactly they're expecting.

Also I've heard of a lot of people getting interviews and not succeeding. Can someone share waht to watch out for and common mistakes to avoid? Any tips would be great and hopefully I'll see some of you this january!!

U of T's curriculum is equivalent to a U.S. PharmD. Waterloo's curriculum is rigourous too--you have to take 7 or 8 courses per term. The difference seems to be the name.

Waterloo hasn't asserted that its program is like U of Ts or a pharmD but the curriculum seems as challenging. I am confused.

I'm pretty sure Waterloo currently does not offer a PharmD for its pharmacy students. Although their cirriculum is challenging, students will only graduate with a BSc in pharmacy (which is an honourable degree!) and not with a pharmD

Hey guys,

So I applied for the Jan 2012 startdate at Waterloo and got an interview! I'm excited but don't know what to talk about for my 5-10 min presentation.
"You are encouraged to be creative and innovative, in order to express and distinguish yourself" So I'm wondering what exactly they're expecting.

Also I've heard of a lot of people getting interviews and not succeeding. Can someone share waht to watch out for and common mistakes to avoid? Any tips would be great and hopefully I'll see some of you this january!!

I had the worst interview of my life at Waterloo. I was nervous and completely blanked on some questions. I did really well on the written test however and therefore got in. If I was to give advice, it would be don't be nervous (easier said than done), just relax, breathe and don't be afraid to take a few moments to think about an answer before you give it. Be yourself but be your best self.

Of course, do your best on the interview but don't neglect the written test!

it says: "No Test Data Submitted"
That is what it says on mine as well.

Hello everyone !!

Hey guys,

Hi MaryNB and mmasood, how did you guys find out that you got the interview? Is it through Quest or through an email/phone call from Louise, or both? I just submitted my completed Pharmacy Admission Profile on October 28, the deadline for January 2012 admission. So far, I haver received neither contact from Louise nor any update on Quest.

I'm also not sure if there's something wrong with my gmail account (the one I use for Waterloo application) as well. Because when I first applied, I never received any acknowledgement email nor the PDF files (the Reference Letter form and further instructions files) from the registrar office--even though Julie later confirmed that according to the record, the acknowledgement email was sent to me right on the next day after I first applied. I also didn't even get my Waterloo ID at first, and Julie had to sent me all the files and my ID # manually. So did you guys use a free email account when you applied? Maybe my gmail account is not secure enough.

Do you guys think calling Louise personally to ask if I get the interview is a wise thing to do?

Hi MaryNB and mmasood, how did you guys find out that you got the interview? Is it through Quest or through an email/phone call from Louise, or both? I just submitted my completed Pharmacy Admission Profile on October 28, the deadline for January 2012 admission. So far, I haver received neither contact from Louise nor any update on Quest.

I'm also not sure if there's something wrong with my gmail account (the one I use for Waterloo application) as well. Because when I first applied, I never received any acknowledgement email nor the PDF files (the Reference Letter form and further instructions files) from the registrar office--even though Julie later confirmed that according to the record, the acknowledgement email was sent to me right on the next day after I first applied. I also didn't even get my Waterloo ID at first, and Julie had to sent me all the files and my ID # manually. So did you guys use a free email account when you applied? Maybe my gmail account is not secure enough.

Do you guys think calling Louise personally to ask if I get the interview is a wise thing to do?
I was also very last minute with my application and submitted it on the last day (October 28th) and I did the whole thing through my Gmail account. I received reference confirmation before and application confirmation immediately after submitting.

Regarding the interview, I was emailed a response 3-4 days after the application submission. So usually, I'd say its not smart to call Louise but in your case with the e-mail trouble I would call her right away. Its better to be sure than miss a golden opportunity

You said you did well on the RC/WT, I was just wondering, what are they like ? Are they like the pcat reading comprehension and the essay section ? Can you briefly give a description of what it's like ? I would really appreciate it ! :)

I had the worst interview of my life at Waterloo. I was nervous and completely blanked on some questions. I did really well on the written test however and therefore got in. If I was to give advice, it would be don't be nervous (easier said than done), just relax, breathe and don't be afraid to take a few moments to think about an answer before you give it. Be yourself but be your best self.

Of course, do your best on the interview but don't neglect the written test!

You said you did well on the RC/WT. I was just wondering, what are they like ? Are they like the pcat reading comprehension and the essay section ? Can you briefly give a description of what it's like ? I would really appreciate it ! :)

I was also very last minute with my application and submitted it on the last day (October 28th) and I did the whole thing through my Gmail account. I received reference confirmation before and application confirmation immediately after submitting.

Regarding the interview, I was emailed a response 3-4 days after the application submission. So usually, I'd say its not smart to call Louise but in your case with the e-mail trouble I would call her right away. Its better to be sure than miss a golden opportunity

Thank you mmasood for the reply. It's really odd that I didn't receive any confirmations. Both Ken and Julie told me to check the spam folder but nothing was in there. :(

BTW, was it 3-4 business days or 3-4 calendar days after you submitted the Pharmacy Admission Profile that you received the interview invitation? And did you go to the U of Waterloo? I went to U of Calgary, and perhaps it takes longer for Louise to convert the U or C courses into Waterloo equivalents?

Now that you told me Gmail didn't give you any troubles, I'm starting to worry that maybe it's my last name that is causing the problem. Back then when I applied for Nintendo Power Subscription online, their system kept telling me to correct my last name. It turned out my last name was considered offensive by Nintendo and it didn't pass their filter. :(

Sorry for so many questions and good luck on your interview. :)

No it was 3-4 days after.. not business days. We were all surprised by the quickness of the response.

I was hoping someone could give me advice about the written test. Will I need to know grammar and vocabulary to the level required for the PCAT? Is it more of an essay based test or passage reading? What kind of things should I expect?

Hello,

To those who have received the interview invitations for the 2012 admission, I'm wondering if you guys went/go to the U of Waterloo? And also in Quest, does it say that your application is for the Winter 2013 Term or the Winter 2012 Term?

Sorry to bother you guys and thanks for the answers in advance.

Hi,
I have applied for Winter 2012 but quest says winter 2013. I confirmed it with Julie Pocock and she said it is fine as long as you emailed them your preferred year of admission.

I haven`t been to Waterloo either and I`m nervous that I might get late :scared: Do you have any idea of how many seats are available for Jan 2012 entry and how many are being interviewed ? Also, when do you have your interview?
Hello,

To those who have received the interview invitations for the 2012 admission, I'm wondering if you guys went/go to the U of Waterloo? And also in Quest, does it say that your application is for the Winter 2013 Term or the Winter 2012 Term?

Sorry to bother you guys and thanks for the answers in advance.

Hello everybody, i applied to UW school of pharmacy for winter 2013 :thumbup:this is my first time appling and I hope I get it. I wonder if the first year students in pharmacy school can help me, I need to know what is the quetion in the interview and what is the test looks like?
Thanks alot in advance

Hi yazahra 89 could you please tell me about the interview and the test that you passed
This is my first time applying and I am so nervouse :scared:
Thanks

Hi,

Well, the interview and test are the last stage of the process and they hold great importance in terms of picking the future class of waterloo's school of pharmacy. My interview went well because I had prepared for it a week prior to the date. If you google pharmacy interview questions, you'll find many practice questions that will give you an idea of what to expect and also give you the chance to build some answers beforehand. Take advantage of the 5-10 minute presentation to really show yourself. Be funny, if you're funny. Be passionate, be warm, be smart (don't use inappropriate vocab or words you may not know, trust me - it doesn't work), be outgoing, talk with confidence... I can go ON AND ON about what you should do, but if you never practice your presentation, then you won't know what you need to work on... so practice, practice, practice... in front of people, not alone, as that will give you the same, if not similar, nervous levels and you'll be able to see what you need to work on.

In terms of the test, I think I had the worst test experience. I wasted 70 mins of the 80 mins provided on the article, as it was long and there were many questions on it. When Julie said "okay, 10 mins left" I freaked out... scrambled to find my essay question, wrote big to fill a page, and was just silly about it. I managed to write down a few well written sentences, but that was it. It got me in, however, so I think if your scrunched for time, use all your power to develop a short, but well-written, paragraph at LEAST. Quality is better than quantity. Check your spelling and only write down words you actually know how to spell. I know this sounds silly, but once again, quality better than quantity and the length of the word.

All I can say is be yourselves, prepare ahead of time, practice and go in there with amped confidence. This is your chance to finally be what you've wanted to be all this time. Regardless of your intentions, everyone deserves a chance to at least present their ideas and this is yours. Good luck!

Hi yazahra 89 could you please tell me about the interview and the test that you passed
This is my first time applying and I am so nervouse :scared:
Thanks

Yazahra98
Thank you so much you are wonderful person. I hope you have the best in your studies.
But What was your essay question? And the reading article was it medical artical or general one?
Thanks again

Hi,
I have applied for Winter 2012 but quest says winter 2013. I confirmed it with Julie Pocock and she said it is fine as long as you emailed them your preferred year of admission.

I haven`t been to Waterloo either and I`m nervous that I might get late :scared: Do you have any idea of how many seats are available for Jan 2012 entry and how many are being interviewed ? Also, when do you have your interview?
Hi secretseven,
Any updates? I was told to be patient, but it's not exactly easy when the last day of the interview is less than 2 weeks. Louise actually told me that something was sent to me on November 8, but she did not tell me whether I qualify for the interview or not. And I checked my email inbox and the spam folder, and nothing in either of them. And when I inquired again, she told me to be patient--she's looking into it, but so far no further response.

Last edited:
Hey, why dont u check your quest account? If it still says "application" under the status, then that means you are qualified for an interview.
why wouldn't louise tell you if you qualified or not.. dats weird and kind of upsetting.. I would say just keep your fingers crossed :) you'll hear the good word soon :)
Hi secretseven,
Any updates? I was told to be patient, but it's not exactly easy when the last day of the interview is less than 2 weeks. Louise actually told me that something was sent to me on November 8, but she did not tell me whether I qualify for the interview or not. And I checked my email inbox and the spam folder, and nothing in either of them. And when I inquired again, she told me to be patient--she's looking into it, but so far no further response.

Hello:

I got my interview invite via email.
Actually if you were looking to get admissions for January 2012, you were encouraged to apply early. I submitted my application a month beforehand.

Goodluck !! hope you get an interview as well and remember to apply early always.

I used my gmail account ...

Hello:

I got my interview invite via email.
Actually if you were looking to get admissions for January 2012, you were encouraged to apply early. I submitted my application a month beforehand.

Goodluck !! hope you get an interview as well and remember to apply early always.