University of Waterloo c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Goodluck to everyone going for the interview !! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for waterloo 2013. I'm missing 1 social science credit, which I plan on doing in the spring term this year, and the thermodynamics course because at my school it is a third year course, which I plan on doing in fall 2012. I have 5 years of pharmacy work experience and a pretty strong gpa so I hope that these two make up for the disadvantage. Worst case scenario I'll apply again next year. Anyone else apply for Waterloo in 2013?

I applied for waterloo 2013. I'm missing 1 social science credit, which I plan on doing in the spring term this year, and the thermodynamics course because at my school it is a third year course, which I plan on doing in fall 2012. I have 5 years of pharmacy work experience and a pretty strong gpa so I hope that these two make up for the disadvantage. Worst case scenario I'll apply again next year. Anyone else apply for Waterloo in 2013?

I hope you get what you want I am applying too for jan. 2013 i have 3.9 gpa and all my prequ. are being completed the only thing that i'm missing is the experience but I will geit soon . And i will follow your worest case scenario too:laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A very common advice for the interview is to go into the interview looking confident.

Now, that never made sense to me. It seems like a good advice because people who got into pharmacy schools pass on this advice to others. But how can you feel confident when you don't know how your interview will go? You will get confidence only after your interview, knowing that everything went well. You can have courage before your interview, but not confidence.

I'm pretty sure Waterloo currently does not offer a PharmD for its pharmacy students. Although their cirriculum is challenging, students will only graduate with a BSc in pharmacy (which is an honourable degree!) and not with a pharmD

On the bright side, you can still be a pharmacist with a bachelor's. a pharmD is a doctorial degree, which is very expensive....imagine paying a lot of money after you graduate!!

A very common advice for the interview is to go into the interview looking confident.

Now, that never made sense to me. It seems like a good advice because people who got into pharmacy schools pass on this advice to others. But how can you feel confident when you don't know how your interview will go? You will get confidence only after your interview, knowing that everything went well. You can have courage before your interview, but not confidence.

Thanks so much, actually we will need more advices soon

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that for 2013 applicants, all required courses needed to be completed by April 2012? I might be mixing it up with another school though. In that case wouldn't a fall 2012 course be too late?

So my interview for early admittance (Jan 2012) is this coming weekend (2 days away!!) and I just want to wish any one else in the same boat the very best of luck. I'm still working on memorising my little presentation and picking out my suit and tie lol. I'm sure if we go in prepared, smiling, and with a little bit of swagger we'll have no problem with the interview. Hopefully I'll be seeing you all in January.

Good luck to everyone!!:luck:

hey, i have trouble making my presentation 5-10 mins long.. so far mine is only 3 minutes long well cuz i do talk pretty fast.. any tips?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that for 2013 applicants, all required courses needed to be completed by April 2012? I might be mixing it up with another school though. In that case wouldn't a fall 2012 course be too late?

Yeah you are right but when I emailed them they said as long as you have a clear plan to get them done they will consider your application. However, those who have them completed have an advantage. Since then I found out that they dont accept my schools microbiology course as equivalent so I'm not going to apply. I'll do their online course in the summer, then maybe apply next year

i am doing my pcat in jan 2012 cycle. which is the best pcat study guide kaplan or the Dr. collins one? Does anyone know any good pcat prep classes in toronto or anywhere??

Hi everyone!

I randomly stumbled onto this discussion forum after googling "waterloo pharmacy tips" and this page has been a breath of fresh air, to be able to find students in the same position! After reading everyone's posts I felt compelled to join the conversation and hopefully make potential new friends!

I am applying for winter 2013, I will have all my pre-reqs, a major in microbiology, minor in chem, I co-chaired for my local red cross humanitarian issues program, volunteer at a hospital, and done other small EC activities. I feel pretty confident with my credentials but I don't have much pharmacy experience.

After going through the class of 2015 forum, it sounds like phamarcy experience is critical in your application and that your application holds more weight if you have a phamacist as a reference. Is this the consensus everyone is getting?

One more question, does any one know how to convert a 4.5gpa scale to a 4.0 scale??

Good luck to those who just had their interviews! (put in a good word for me ;)!)

Last edited:
i am doing my pcat in jan 2012 cycle. which is the best pcat study guide kaplan or the Dr. collins one? Does anyone know any good pcat prep classes in toronto or anywhere??
I have taken a kaplan prep course but for the MCAT. I can say that Kaplan was the best investment I have taken towards my goals. I was able to increase my score by TEN points!! Kaplan may be expensive, but very promising. This could be different for the PCAT but kaplan works hard and do their research to ensure they create an effective program. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview done. Its going to be a long 10 days waiting till Novemebr 30th. Does anyone know if they'll be sending out acceptance e-mails? Or will we find out purely through Quest. And I have no idea what my Quest password is so do you guys think that'll be a big problem?

It was nice meeting you all yesterday.

Interview done. Its going to be a long 10 days waiting till Novemebr 30th. Does anyone know if they'll be sending out acceptance e-mails? Or will we find out purely through Quest. And I have no idea what my Quest password is so do you guys think that'll be a big problem?

It was nice meeting you all yesterday.

Hey, how did it go for you?

They will sending us the acceptance emails and Quest will be updated as well..

if you dont mind me asking, what is your pharmacy experience? I think that will really work to your advantage! :)

Overall the test was pretty difficult. I thought the reading comprehension bit was pretty hard I had difficulty with a couple questions. The essay portion was pretty easy and straight forward so I did ok on that . Overall the interview was much better, they laughed at my jokes and it was overall pleasant. The questions they asked were pretty standard, I had seen almost all of them online when I googled sample pharmacy questions. I honestly just hope it was good enough for me to be studying there this January.

To pharamcy: I used the Kaplan book to study for the PCAT. I don't believe in those classes though. personally I just dedicated a month to study for it morning to night and I did pretty well so really only go to those classes if you're sure you need them.

doctorkod- good luck buddy but you;re definitely going to need a pharmacist reference to be competitive.

if you dont mind me asking, what is your pharmacy experience? I think that will really work to your advantage! :)

I've been a pharm tech with SDM since I was about 15 years old and I'm almost 20. I've worked in two different pharmacies, with countless pharmacists and different types of patients

I had my interview on Saturday too.. the written test was alright and the interview went well.
I can't wait to hear back from them
9 (long) DAYS LEFT!!!! :xf:

I had my interview on Saturday too.. the written test was alright and the interview went well.
I can't wait to hear back from them
9 (long) DAYS LEFT!!!! :xf:

Good Luck..
this wait is killing me :scared:

doctorkod- good luck buddy but you;re definitely going to need a pharmacist reference to be competitive.

Thanks for the good luck!

I have been calling different shopper drug marts and they will have to get back to me. I am having a hard time finding pharmacies that are interested. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a volunteer position?

Thanks for the good luck!

I have been calling different shopper drug marts and they will have to get back to me. I am having a hard time finding pharmacies that are interested. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a volunteer position?

Just keep looking..that's all I can say. The economy's in such a slump that even pharm students have such a hard time finding pharmacies to volunteer/work in too :(

and wow, can't believe its November already with the interviews going on. Good luck soon-to-be 1T5s (just like me lol)..

8 days left (hopefully less)..
It's tempting to call Julie and ask her to hurry up LOL

Just keep looking..that's all I can say. The economy's in such a slump that even pharm students have such a hard time finding pharmacies to volunteer/work in too :(

and wow, can't believe its November already with the interviews going on. Good luck soon-to-be 1T5s (just like me lol)..

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have called six different pharmacies and they all have turned me down. One pharmacy manager was even baffled at the idea of having a volunteer in his pharmacy saying that I was occupy valuable work time because of training and he wouldnt know what I could do around the pharmacy :( I am so desperate that I will SCRUB your toilets! (okay.. not that bad!)

I am starting to think connections now and asking people who know pharmacists personally and contacting them.. I think that might help but this has been a major headache! BLAST!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have called six different pharmacies and they all have turned me down. One pharmacy manager was even baffled at the idea of having a volunteer in his pharmacy saying that I was occupy valuable work time because of training and he wouldnt know what I could do around the pharmacy :( I am so desperate that I will SCRUB your toilets! (okay.. not that bad!)

I am starting to think connections now and asking people who know pharmacists personally and contacting them.. I think that might help but this has been a major headache! BLAST!

drkod I would use connections thats how I got my volunteer work. WIth the amount of pharmacies out there you definitely know someone that can get you in so Id go with that.

oh man longest 6 days of my life. I just have my email open constantly.

drkod I would use connections thats how I got my volunteer work. WIth the amount of pharmacies out there you definitely know someone that can get you in so Id go with that.

oh man longest 6 days of my life. I just have my email open constantly.

I think I met you during interview day. We have the same name ;).

Do the days just get longer? hahaha

I have my email account connected to my phone I jump to check my phone every time is vibrates :S I am going crazy

My days are going by soooooo slowly and I can't focus on anything! :annoyed:

Yeah, same. Everytime my phone vibrates, I rush to see what it is.

I emailed Louise, and she said that we'll know as soon as they do...and to be patient. Easier said than done.

Yeah, same. Everytime my phone vibrates, I rush to see what it is.

hehe glad to know I am not the only one going crazy about this email :p

I emailed Louise, and she said that we'll know as soon as they do...and to be patient. Easier said than done.

When did you email her? today?
I called her yesterday she said we probably won't hear back from them before Monday :(

lol, when they say on or before nov. 30, they actually mean nov. 30. usually.

When did you email her? today?
I called her yesterday she said we probably won't hear back from them before Monday :(

Yeah, I emailed her this morning. That'll make next week even more worrisome.

lol, when they say on or before nov. 30, they actually mean nov. 30. usually.

lol. Okay, then i guess it won't happen any sooner.

but yeah, they should just accept us all and start filling up the 2013 spots. =D

Word!

I emailed juile too, but no response from her. I am almost tempted to email Mr. Potvin, since he's the one marking the papers to see if he has finished them.

On a side note, how annoying was that Santa Claus parade?!! Traffic much!!!!

Mr. Potvin is gone from his office until today...I should know. =P

Auto reply said so anyway.

And I just received an e-mail so I go check it.

Pharma....prix - Pre Holiday Super Sale 2 Days Only!

...fml.

...fml.

LOL we are going crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy :eek:

Tell me about it. =D
In any case...I'm trying to find ways to distract myself now...haha

Word!

I emailed juile too, but no response from her. I am almost tempted to email Mr. Potvin, since he's the one marking the papers to see if he has finished them.

please let us know when you hear back from her :)

On a side note, how annoying was that Santa Claus parade?!! Traffic much!!!!

OMGGG that was sooo annoying it was impossible to get on king, took me over 30 mins to get to UW main campus, should have only taken like 5 mins!!!!!

...fml.

Lol. So you emailed him?

Tell me about it. =D
In any case...I'm trying to find ways to distract myself now...haha

Ha, I have an exam tomorrow, and i'm more worried about waterloo than that.

were you the one with the gee-tar?

OMGGG that was sooo annoying it was impossible to get on king, took me over 30 mins to get to UW main campus, should have only taken like 5 mins!!!!!

Definitely frustrating. I was worried about the people who had an interview after the parade started. Cuz there was no mention of it. I had to drive all the way to the on-ramp to bypass it.