University of Wisconsin.... Anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my interview about a month ago give or take... Has anyone heard anything lately and how long did it take for them to let you know your post-interview status.

The mail-lady must think I am stalking her, because I have been wandering into the mail room just as she is finishing delivering the mail quite a few times now. I know it's pathetic, but i know when the mail is delivered(~12:15) and come home on my lunch break to check.

The funniest thing is my parents played a pretty good joke on me. They sent me a letter with a UW alumni return address label. I saw the logo and got soooo excited, then noticed the name on the label.... Grrrrr... LOL

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed 2/16 and already know i'm gonna get waitlisted (or even straight up rejected) so i'm preparing for the worst. plus it was my only interview......this process sucks.

I had my interview about a month ago give or take... Has anyone heard anything lately and how long did it take for them to let you know your post-interview status.

The mail-lady must think I am stalking her, because I have been wandering into the mail room just as she is finishing delivering the mail quite a few times now. I know it's pathetic, but i know when the mail is delivered(~12:15) and come home on my lunch break to check.

The funniest thing is my parents played a pretty good joke on me. They sent me a letter with a UW alumni return address label. I saw the logo and got soooo excited, then noticed the name on the label.... Grrrrr... LOL
:laugh:
That's a pretty cruel joke. I would never do that to any paranoid pre med student.

Ok, I lied, I probably would

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on February 2nd and have not heard anything yet. Post if you get any news.

I interviewed there in Mid Dec as an OOS. I got my acceptance letter on 2/6. Mine was delayed due to holidays and such. Email or call Kim and she'll tell you when your file will go to committee...

Interviewed last week of January - in state applicant - received waitlist letter two weeks ago.

interviewed Feb. 2... waitlist letter yesterday in a neighboring state. instate applicant.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Wisconsin hasn't passed out many acceptances yet this year? Anyone know how full the class is yet? I've heard of more waitlists coming from them. I interview there on 3/9 and I'm hoping there are spots left! Anyone know how long they plan on interviewing?

There are still spots left, and I was assured there will still be spots open when I interview there at the end of March.

There are still spots left, and I was assured there will still be spots open when I interview there at the end of March.

That's what I want to hear! :)
Good luck to you, tredici!

From what I've heard, they haven't given out a lot of acceptances yet. They don't want to overfill the class...

I interviewed there in Mid Dec as an OOS. I got my acceptance letter on 2/6. Mine was delayed due to holidays and such. Email or call Kim and she'll tell you when your file will go to committee...

I emailed Kim, and she was super quick in getting back to me (less than 24 hrs), and she said that it would be another week or two before I go to committee, but to email her back in a couple weeks if i haven't heard anything. :) So i get about a week break from frantically checking the mail. I'm OOS by the way.

Sigh... all the anticipation, and it all boils down to one little white envelope. :-D

Thanks Everyone for your responses. I'll post an update when I hear anything.

anybody heard anything post interview yet - who interviewed about a month ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my waitlist letter on 3/7 ((OOS, interviewed Jan 19):( .

Anyone have any insider info about the waitlist...size, usual movement ..anything?

Edit: hey sotired, uncanny that we decide to resurrect an old thread at around the same time ...bwahahhh...

I got my waitlist letter on 3/7 ((OOS, interviewed Jan 19):( .

Anyone have any insider info about the waitlist...size, usual movement ..anything?

Edit: hey sotired, uncanny that we decide to resurrect an old thread at around the same time ...bwahahhh...

haha indeed it is dibs :) seems like almost everyone is getting waitlisted. i've heard of very few direct acceptances (on sdn or otherwise)

I got accepted a while back, but I'm not too likely to attend, so that should open up a spot for someone. I'm waiting to hear back on my financial aid just in case, but Wisconsin doesn't have a lot of that to offer.

I interviewed last week (3/9) and we were told that admissions was pretty much caught up and we could expect to hear back by the end of the month. I think March 30 might be their last interview day (but don't quote me on that).

From what I've gathered on SDN (so take it for what it's worth), UW hasn't had a lot of waitlist movement for the past few years and the current M1 class is larger than average (~165). I haven't heard of many people getting directly accepted either, so maybe they are being more cautious and accepting less straight off the bat this year to allow for some waitlist movement. That's my theory.

Also, I've heard of some being 'waitlisted' and then some on a 'high priority waitlist.' Anyone know what the difference is? Are there actually two separate lists?

Good:luck:luck to everyone!

I interviewed last week (3/9) and we were told that admissions was pretty much caught up and we could expect to hear back by the end of the month. I think March 30 might be their last interview day (but don't quote me on that).

Yup, and I'm interviewing on that day! There 'twas a mixup with my app so they ended up scheduling me for the last day :( . Good and bad, I guess. Good because I'll be fresh on their minds, but bad because there probably won't be many spots left.

interviewed jan 19th, a couple of people from my interview group found out they were either rejected or waitlisted a week or so before but I called last friday and they said they sent my decision the day before. i have no clue that that means for me. i come home early from school to check the mail these past several days. not fun.

From what I've gathered on SDN (so take it for what it's worth), UW hasn't had a lot of waitlist movement for the past few years and the current M1 class is larger than average (~165). I haven't heard of many people getting directly accepted either, so maybe they are being more cautious and accepting less straight off the bat this year to allow for some waitlist movement. That's my theory.

Your theory is pretty much fact, except it is the current M2 class that is extraordinarily large. The M1 class is the more typical 150 students (although I think its down to 149 now). They took a more conservative approach last year, and actually went 10-20 deep on those who were on the waitlist. The actual number of people from the waitlist that matriculated is unknown, or at least I've never bothered to tabulate those stats.

Well I still haven't heard anything. I will call or email them tomorrow, which is "two weeks" from when i corresponded with UW last.

But I;m glad to hear people are getting some news.

ldybug82, that's pretty much what we were told when i interviewed, which was about a month before you did. I guess they still haven't caught up yet.

I even had an update to my application and I asked at the interview if i should mail it or email the details. They said email, because i would likely go to committee quickly and mail might not be fast enough... :rolleyes:

anyone know if they have two different waitlists ....for instate and out of state...

i have no idea about the waitlists...but i got an email from kim saying my app was going to committee this week and i should hear something "very soon". does anyone know how long after the committee meets they send out letters?

so nervous...just called admissions, they said my letter went out yesterday (i live nearby in wisco) so i should get it today!!! IM SO NERVOUS. how do i distract myself?

Also, I've heard of some being 'waitlisted' and then some on a 'high priority waitlist.' Anyone know what the difference is? Are there actually two separate lists?

That's true. I was put on the "high priority" waitlist a couple of weeks ago. Their letter said that put me in the top 25% of the waitlist.

Hey everyone.. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck if you are waiting to hear from Madison still. I was accepted way back in Oct but I did the early decision process (it seems like ages ago already). Hopefully I will see some of you in the fall.

I was on the waiting list last year but never got in. It seems like each year is a hit and miss on getting off the wait list. As mentioned before, it all depends on how many positions are filled and it's next to impossible to find out the chances of coming off the wait list. Hopefully it all works out in the end though!

Yeah, the waitlist is getting pretty minimal use of late. I was accepted for class of 2010 (went to MCW instead), and our tour guides were telling us how they had 162 people in a class of 150 since they had over-accepted, and I think it might have happened again for the year I was applying.

I'm on that high priority waitlist and I am wishing and hoping that the waitlist moves!!

From what I understand there is only a single waitlist, and the top whatever%-age is 'high priority'. There may be separate in and out of state lists though. Being high priority means nothing, because waitlist movement is variable. They take anywhere from 0-15+ off their waitlist, although it sounds like they have become more cautious, as many above stated, due to overfilling the M2 class. UW's becoming a pretty kick-ass program, and tougher and tougher to get into. I'm pretty glad I'm far behind that process!

got the high priority waitlist too. can't get a ****ing break.

I got IN!!! I found out from calling Kim to ask about my decision letter which apparently seems to be lost in the mail since it was sent on march 7th. Does anyone know if U of Wisc gives out grants or scholarships to oos students? wish you the best if you're still waiting.

I got IN!!! I found out from calling Kim to ask about my decision letter which apparently seems to be lost in the mail since it was sent on march 7th. Does anyone know if U of Wisc gives out grants or scholarships to oos students? wish you the best if you're still waiting.

congratulations !

Waitlisted.... :cool: Argh... I guess it's better than nothing.

Waitlisted.... :cool: Argh... I guess it's better than nothing.

Aww, sorry it wasn't an acceptance. :( Stay positive though, with the (apparently) few direct acceptances there should be room for waitlist movement. :luck:

It's been about 2 months since your interview...did you just hear back today?

I just interviewed on Friday, and they said there are still spots to be filled and everyone should know their outcome (accepted, rejected, waitlisted) by April 30th, but they said it would probably be sooner than that around mid-April but they wouldn't promise that.

I posted this on the other Wisconsin thread, but doesn't anyone have a recent residency match list from Madison? I can't find one anywhere....

i'm sorry ldybugg! i'm not really dying to go there, so i'll probably withdraw eventually, but if it makes you feel any better i spoke with lucy wall on the phone about it and she said there's a good chance people on this will get off and we'll get our specific rankings at the end of this month.

For everyone who received a high priority what top percent of the waitlist did they say you were on?

How many people are usually on the waitlist? I am try to gauge how many are on that top 25% part. Seems like a lot of people on this forum are (as am I!).

How many people are usually on the waitlist? I am try to gauge how many are on that top 25% part. Seems like a lot of people on this forum are (as am I!).

when i spoke with the dean of admissions, she said the top 25% was about 50 students, so the total waitlist is about 200

whoa thats bigger than i thought...eek!

Sotired,

When you spoke with the Dean an she said that there was a good chance that the people on the list will get accepted did she say about how many people that involves?

I posted this on the other Wisconsin thread, but doesn't anyone have a recent residency match list from Madison? I can't find one anywhere....

UW has given current med students access to the class of 2007 match list. However, I can't post the whole thing because it has the names of matching students on it (have to be cautious of the whole confidentiality issue). From what I could tell we had a pretty awesome match this year. We had 10 match into orthopedics!:thumbup: If I remember correctly 3 of those 10 are headed to Mayo for ortho and 1 of 10 is headed to the University of Washington for ortho.

Sotired,

When you spoke with the Dean an she said that there was a good chance that the people on the list will get accepted did she say about how many people that involves?

well she said that in past years they've taken anywhere from 0 to 30/40 people off of the waitlist. she said she wasn't sure about this year but in late april they'll give us our exact ranks and at that time they will be able to accurately predict our chances of getting off of it. she did, however, imply that they were a bit more conservative in handing out direct acceptances and made the "high priority waitlist" seem like positive news to receive

well she said that in past years they've taken anywhere from 0 to 30/40 people off of the waitlist. she said she wasn't sure about this year but in late april they'll give us our exact ranks and at that time they will be able to accurately predict our chances of getting off of it. she did, however, imply that they were a bit more conservative in handing out direct acceptances and made the "high priority waitlist" seem like positive news to receive

Well I just sent in my withdrawal of my acceptance at Madison this morning, so that should help with one spot for you all;-)