University of Wisconsin SMPH vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holzak

Reaction score
I am a WI resident, and excited for the chance to go to either of these schools! Was very excited for second look day to hopefully find some clarity after meeting future classmates and getting more questions answered, but the events have been cancelled.

MCW:
Pros:
- awesome facilities for clinical rotations (Froedert and Children's WI)
- true P/F
- very friendly class culture and supportive academic staff
- close friends and family who attend/have attended this school loved it (and many remain nearby campus)
- cheaper cost of living
Cons:
- not as highly ranked (I've gotten mixed responses on how significantly to consider prestige)
- Wauwatosa/MKE hasn't ever been my favorite place (but there's still lots to do)
- higher tuition

UWSMPH:
Pros:
- 1.5 year pre-clinical (more time in clinical training!)
- perhaps more prestigious and well-known nationally (**based on rankings and review, but having only lived in WI, it's difficult for me to get perspective on how either of these are viewed outside the Midwest)
- also very friendly students and faculty here
- P/F (with internal rankings)
- Madison is an exciting place
- cheaper tuition
Cons:
- mandatory M3 rotation outside UW (some students have expressed very unfavorable opinions about this experience, others didn't seem to mind)
- higher cost of living

Would appreciate any input or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Given the shift to P/F Step 1, the 1.5 pre-clinical may be very beneficial in preparing for step 2 CK. From what I've read, resident programs will be using step 2 CK to differentiate between applicants - though this is subject to change as step 1 P/F was just implemented.

I go to MCW and love it. The lack of internal ranking really has created a collaborative environment. Facility is also quite nice. Also, I don't know how much the prestige difference will matter. Hard to say since you'll be the first class with P/F step.

I'd say go where you think you'll do well and enjoy. That's what will help you succeed the most. Rank won't matter if you're depressed and can't do school because you're having a bad time.

I interviewed and got accepted to both as OOS and UWSMPH is the clear winner, being the stronger school overall and cheaper. The P/F internal ranking and M3 clinical rotations sound meh but it's probably worth it.