University of Wollongong 2016 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyndal

University of Wollongong MD Admissions
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you a Canadian student interested in studying medicine in Australia? International admissions staff from the University of Wollongong will shortly be arriving in Canada to recruit talented students for the Graduate School of Medicine. Applications for 2016 are open and it is a rolling admissions process so apply now!
You can discuss the curriculum directly with our curriculum staff and attend Information Evenings or individual appointments with our team. And if you submit an application now, we may be able to conduct your selection interview face to face. We will also be attending the Study and Go Abroad Fairs - they are free to attend and you can come and visit us there! http://www.studyandgoabroad.com/

VANCOUVER 23-25 February
24 February – 2:00pm-3:00pm UOW Medicine Information session
Venue: Simon Fraser University ( Burnaby ) Room TBA
24 February - 5:00-6:00 pm UOW Medicine Information session
Venue: University of British Columbia Room: WOOD B75
25 February – 2:00-6:00 pm Study and Go Abroad Fair - Vancouver Convention Centre
OTTAWA 27 February
27 February - 2:00-6:00 pm Study and Go Abroad Fair - Shaw Centre
MONTREAL 28 February
28 February - 1:00-5:00 pm Study and Go Abroad Fair - Montreal Convention Centre/ Palais des congrès de Montréal
TORONTO 1-2 March
1 March - 1:00-5:00 pm Study and Go Abroad Fair –Metro Toronto Convention Centre
2 March – 6:00-8:00 pm UOW Medicine Information evening (venue TBA)

We’d love to meet with interested people at any stage of their application process, including those thinking about future applications. We are also available to hold Skype meetings with applicants living a distance away from our planned venues. To register your interest for any of these events or to make an individual appointment in one of these cities please email [email protected] to book a time.
For general enquiries about the program, the medical school or to submit an application contact [email protected]
Look forward to meeting you in Canada! :)
(For anyone outside of Canada reading along, applications are open for you too- just email us for more etails!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good news for those of you at SFU and UBC - we are now coming to your campus. Updated details above! :)

Could you give an update on how internationals at Woolongong fared with HETI this most recent year and with regards to city-regional-rural placement, as well as the CMI program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have actual numbers off the top of my head (Its Sunday morning here) but I can look it up next week. In general terms our 2015 internationals who have chosen to stay in Australia have matched for internships in Australia (no one has missed out) and many are also interviewing back home in Canada. We have several students from the previous cohorts in residency training in Canada and a couple who have completed their residencies.

Hi,

I am planning to apply to UoW. Would you please let me know how a result of a British BSc(Hons) degree can be converted into Australian GPA 7.0 scale?

How it would be equivalent to Frist Class Honours, Upper Second Class Honours, Lower Second Class Honours and Third Class Honours?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Wesley- lovely to hear from you. We would need to have a look at your transcript to give you accurate advice. Could you email your details and a scanned copy of your transcript to [email protected] or to [email protected] and I can get the international office to give us a verdict? Id recommend you do it ASAP as we have a rolling admissions process so we are accepting applications now.
Lyndal

Hi Lyndal,

looking to get some info for my daughter. would appreciate some stats on Canadians in your school. What is a competitive gpa to get in your school?
BTW looking for 2017 entry....so planning ahead..

Hi Bangsar - we look at applicants' whole application in combination- so if your daughter has a GPA over 2.8 and an MCAT over 24 we will definitely be interested in looking at her application. We will consider applicants slightly below that cut if they have strong extracurricular activities in their portfolio or perform very well at interview, basically we try and consider all applicants holistically.
Please feel free to email me on [email protected] if you would like some more information. The important message is to start thinking ahead .... I'm glad you are .... it is April and we have already half filled the 2016 class, (only six places left!) and we will probably be commencing recruiting for 2017 at the end of this year.

We will be back in Canada in June and again in October so if you'd like to email me I can put you on the mailing list to let you know the events we are planning

Cheers
Lyndal

Thank you, Lyndal...will get in touch with you via e mail.

Reactions: 1 user
Canadian applicants! We're coming your way soon!

We have finalised details for our 2015 Summer Information and networking evenings in Vancouver and Toronto. If you are interested in studying at Wollongong in the future, please come along to meet with us, hear about our program and meet with some of our graduates. Guests are of course welcome.

Dates:
Vancouver: Monday 1st June 2015 at Princess Louisa Suite, Fairmont Waterfront, Vancouver
Toronto: Thursday 4th June 2015 at British Columbia Room, Fairmont Royal York, Toronto

Time:
5:30pm-9:30pm

Program:
5:30pm Welcome drinks, canapés
6:00pm Welcome and introductions
Introduction to UOW and the faculty of Science, Medicine & Health
Research opportunities at UOW
Studying medicine at UOW
6:45pm My UOW journey (alumni presentations)
7:15pm Open Q&A session with Prof Marc in het Panhuis, A/Prof Lyndal Parker-Newlyn and our UOW graduate physicians
7:45pm Coffee, tea, dessert and networking

RSVP: By 15 May 2015 to [email protected] for catering purposes

For more information feel free to post below or, follow us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/uowgsmadmissions

Attachments

• uow157990-2.jpg
    uow157990-2.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Drs Alison O'Hearn and Zach Pancer are confirmed as our guest speakers in Vancouver and Toronto, and we are also hoping to have Drs Alya Kamani, Adrian Kurz and Jeff Power available for our alumni Q&A session. The flyers for both events are available here if you wish to print, email and share. RSVP to [email protected] And if you can't make it to Vancouver or Toronto in June remember you can join our Facebook group to speak directly with our current international students and graduates https://www.facebook.com/groups/UOW.GSM.internationals/ Hope to see you in June.

Attachments

• UOW info evening 4 June TORONTO flyer.pdf
    335.8 KB · Views: 78
  • UOW info evening 1 June VANCOUVER flyer.pdf
    335.7 KB · Views: 57