University of Wyoming Interviews 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a recent thread up for the University of Wyoming Class of 2017 yet. Has anyone already been to an interview? I have mine scheduled for later this month (Nov) and had a few questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering if anyone on here attends the School of Pharmacy at the University of Wyoming??? Hopefully, someone can answer my questions! Anyone applying?

I have interviewed, and been accepted!!! What are you questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interviewed, and been accepted!!! What are you questions?

What's the interview like? group interview or individual interview? close file or open file, Any writing sample is required? Do you like the school/campus?
How's the job prospect for graduates?

sorry, too many questions. Thank you for your kind reply in advance.

What's the interview like? group interview or individual interview? close file or open file, Any writing sample is required? Do you like the school/campus?
How's the job prospect for graduates?

sorry, too many questions. Thank you for your kind reply in advance.

The interview was pretty fun. Like you should already know, there are several parts including a "breakfast" (this is really just juice, muffins and such like in a continental breakfast), a math exam (critical thinking, similar to some of the more wordy logical questions on the PCAT--- there is no calculus, and as long as you have a strong algebra background,and use some common sense you should be fine. the time does go faster than you think so skip any questions that you think will take more than a minute so that you can get the easier ones... I was the first one to reach the last page and I barely finished, even had to guess on one that i thought would take too much time), an essay (on paper), and a listening comprehension exercise-- be sure to remember the details during this exercise since they will be what is asked at the end. As for the actual interview... It was done in a small conference room with two of the instructors/adjuncts. It is closed, so they don't know anything about you from your application materials in PHARMCAS. However, if the school had any questions from your application they will have personalized questions for you, but the people asking them will not know why. Don't be surprised if they just sit there and write since they are needing to record what you say so they can accurately represent you during the committee meeting to decide if you will be accepted.

The campus is very nice, and quite large... Of course, I am a Wyoming native so my opinion may be useless in that regard. The classes we will be attending are kept to two buildings that are right next to each-other, which is convenient.

The dean came and talked to us, and he explained why the job prospects are good for pharmacists (baby boomers, retiring pharmacists, and there was much more he talked about). One thing that I found interesting was that he stated that every student from last years graduating class that didn't go on to do a residency/Ph.D had found a job. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are all working where they want to work, but they are all working as pharmacists.

I hope I answered all you questions!

Thank you for your information!

It's very encouraging to know everyone has found a job after graduation. The job market for pharmacists in other states is not good right now.

Oh, another question:

How many rotation hours are included in the curriculum?

Thank you!

I just received notification for an interview myself! Chose the 11th of Jan as my first choice, pretty excited!

I just received notification for an interview myself! Chose the 11th of Jan as my first choice, pretty excited!

Congratulations! I still need to take my PCAT in Jan. before hearing anything from the school. It is also my first choice.
Do you mind sharing your experience after the interview?
This forum is very quiet. :)

Congratulations! I still need to take my PCAT in Jan. before hearing anything from the school. It is also my first choice.
For sure!
This seems to be the only forum that pulled up with a university of Wyoming '17 pharmacy search. Are you applying anywhere else?

For sure!
This seems to be the only forum that pulled up with a university of Wyoming '17 pharmacy search. Are you applying anywhere else?

I applied three. Got accepted to LECOM. Withdrew from Pacific University interview.
I have never been to wyoming before, but heard good things about the school and the state in general. I do concern about the weather though, not sure if I can handle the wind.
Also don't know if there's any job opportunity while I am in school, as I prefer to work part time. I guess I need to visit (if get invited for interview) before I can make final decision about the school.

I applied three. Got accepted to LECOM. Withdrew from Pacific University interview.
I have never been to wyoming before, but heard good things about the school and the state in general. I do concern about the weather though, not sure if I can handle the wind.
Also don't know if there's any job opportunity while I am in school, as I prefer to work part time. I guess I need to visit (if get invited for interview) before I can make final decision about the school.

Haha, the wind part made me laugh (I'm currently attending NDSU, and trust me... Wyoming's wind is nothing comparably.) I can't recall ever being in Laramie myself, but I have been in the state/area multiple times and it seems really nice. BTW make sure to post if you get an interview.

Last edited:
OK, I will. Good luck on your interview! Please do post about Laramie after you visit the campus! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi there,

You might double check the University of Wyoming's requirements, because I thought they wouldn't take any PCAT from January or later...

There are opportunities for part time jobs but very few in the in pharmacy field as Laramie is really just a college town (most jobs are in the service industry like walmart/restaurants and bars). They also make it quite clear during the interview process that they would prefer students didn't work while attending the pharmacy program. As for the wind and weather, it is not bad at all. Every location in the world has pros and cons in relation to the weather.

Oh, another question:

How many rotation hours are included in the curriculum?

Thank you!

The complete last year is comprised of these rotations. If you have any specific questions it would be more informative to go to the website for the university of Wyoming pharmacy school and look at the curriculum.

The complete last year is comprised of these rotations. If you have any specific questions it would be more informative to go to the website for the university of Wyoming pharmacy school and look at the curriculum.

Yes, they accept PCAT in Jan. I double checked with the school. Also they offered me an interview in January. I need to find out the rotation hours when I am there. State of Wyoming requires 1200 rotation hours for licensing. Some pharmacy schools's curriculum includes less than 1200 hours, which means students need to find extra hours on their own.

Yes, they accept PCAT in Jan. I double checked with the school. Also they offered me an interview in January. I need to find out the rotation hours when I am there. State of Wyoming requires 1200 rotation hours for licensing. Some pharmacy schools's curriculum includes less than 1200 hours, which means students need to find extra hours on their own.

I wish that they had told me that last year, since I missed the deadline for the PCAT registration on the October test date. The lady that I talked to pretty much told me that I was SOL and would have to wait a year to apply since they didn't take the January PCAT. The past is the past though... The rotation hours is an issue I had never heard of. Please let me know what you find out!

I wish that they had told me that last year, since I missed the deadline for the PCAT registration on the October test date. The lady that I talked to pretty much told me that I was SOL and would have to wait a year to apply since they didn't take the January PCAT. The past is the past though... The rotation hours is an issue I had never heard of. Please let me know what you find out!

OK, I will. I found out about the issue of rotation hours when I was interviewed at LECOM, where I was told they offered 750 hours in its curriculum. Most states require 1500 hours for phamacist licensing, whereas Wyoming requires less.

What day in Jan did you pick?

What day in Jan did you pick?

Hi,
I did not check this forum for a while...I will be there on Jan. 11th. the same day as yours.
You will spot me easily, as I am Chinese. Don't think I will get in Wyoming at this point, as I won't do well on PCAT for sure. I didn't do too much study during this holiday season, only a week left before taking the test. :scared:

I just consider going there as a new year vacation for myself and my husband.

For those with interview invites, how long did it take after your pharmcas submission to hear anything? I am anxiously waiting! I already have a couple interviews, but something close to home would be nice. Thanks!

I received an email notfiying me that they had received my PharmCAS application materials on November 8th, and they emailed me with an interview invite on November 14th with three different dates to choose from.

Hi,
I did not check this forum for a while...I will be there on Jan. 11th. the same day as yours.
You will spot me easily, as I am Chinese. Don't think I will get in Wyoming at this point, as I won't do well on PCAT for sure. I didn't do too much study during this holiday season, only a week left before taking the test. :scared:

I just consider going there as a new year vacation for myself and my husband.
Well good luck to you regardless of the PCAT! I'm getting a little nervous myself... flying out of Fargo Thursday afternoon.

For those with interview invites, how long did it take after your pharmcas submission to hear anything? I am anxiously waiting! I already have a couple interviews, but something close to home would be nice. Thanks!
I submitted my PharmCAS Oct 30th. I'm not sure how long it took for them to comfirm that they had received everything, but I got my interview email on Dec 10th... so just over a month from submitting on PharmCAS to interview email.

Good luck to everyone who has interviews tomorrow!! Hope everything goes well for you!!

Thank you, you too!

I wish I know the nature of the assay question.

Don't think too hard about it, and just be as honest as possible with your response to the question.

Accepted to Univ. of Wyoming School of Pharmacy!!

Accepted to Univ. of Wyoming School of Pharmacy!!

Congratulations and welcome to the University of Wyoming School of Pharmacy family! I have also been accepted for the incoming cycle!

Congratulations and welcome to the University of Wyoming School of Pharmacy family! I have also been accepted for the incoming cycle!

I've been accepted too! Congrats and congrats to anyone else who got in for Fall 2013 - for the Class of 2017!

I've been accepted too! Congrats and congrats to anyone else who got in for Fall 2013 - for the Class of 2017!

When was your interview by chance? Mine was on December 14th at the end of finals week. :D

I am a little late to posting on this forum, but I have also been accepted for the class of 2017! Congrats to everyone else that has been accepted also!

For everyone who has been accepted, where are you coming from? I was born and raised in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I went to Laramie County Community College and U.W. for my undergraduate courses.

For everyone who has been accepted, where are you coming from? I was born and raised in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I went to Laramie County Community College and U.W. for my undergraduate courses.

I am from Wright, Wy and I am finishing up my undergraduate courses at Casper College.

A few years ago, our chemical plant, Dyno Nobel, in Cheyenne had the emulsion plant that was originally in Wright moved down to our location to combine the emulsion oil with ammonium nitrate prill instead of shipping the prill up there first. Haven't been up that way in years.

Hi!
I am accepted and cannot wait to see you all.

Is there anyone who was accepted here interviewed on 18th Jan?

:)
By the way, I am from WA.

Hi!
I am accepted and cannot wait to see you all.

Is there anyone who was accepted here interviewed on 18th Jan?

:)
By the way, I am from WA.

I interviewed on December 14th. What part of Washington are you from? I had an interview in Spokane for Washington State. I had never been to Washington and always wanted to go there because it reminded me a little of Wyoming, but had a better climate with beautiful landscape along with pleasant people from what I gathered.

Congrats on being accepted! I interviewed on Jan. 11th. I have seen that a lot of other schools have someone that creates a facebook group for the incoming class that makes it easier to communicate and get to know their classmates better, does anyone know if someone has made one for UW?

I can set one up if you guys would like. I did not see any groups created from prior years on Facebook. I only saw the main group for the School of Pharmacy.

I interviewed on December 14th. What part of Washington are you from? I had an interview in Spokane for Washington State. I had never been to Washington and always wanted to go there because it reminded me a little of Wyoming, but had a better climate with beautiful landscape along with pleasant people from what I gathered.

I am in Tacoma, WA. I never been to Spokane thought. I only heard what it is like from people who are in school there. :) I love washington state. :)

That sounds great idea to set up facebook page or something for class of '2017 to get to know each other and share info!

Where is Tacoma in reference to the other major cities, such as Seattle? Does it have a small town or big city feel? What brings you our way down to Wyoming instead of starring in Washington? He he.

I will get to work on it, and we can mention it to others as we approach fall and admission during orientation week!

I will get to work on it, and we can mention it to others as we approach fall and admission during orientation week!

I just created an open Facebook group called University of Wyoming School of Pharmacy Class of 2017. My name is Lindsey Snyder, and I am part of the Cheyenne, Wyoming network. Go ahead and join if you would like!

Last edited:
I tried to find the facebook group but I can't find it. Could you post the link on here maybe so it is easier to find please?