1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

University vs. Community Residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by doughboy, Dec 16, 2001.

1. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering what people thought about picking between the different residencies. Is it worth it to go to a name brand university over a community program? Also would you go to a lesser known university program over a bigger well known program? I'm interviewing for residencies right now in Ob-Gyn and I'm torn between going to a program with a "name" over a community program where I think I'll enjoy more. Any opinions? I think people might think I didn't get a good residency if I don't go to a "big" university and pick a community program. It might be superficial but that's a lot of what this world is about, sad to say. I would do well in both but I just want some opinions.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The answer really depends on your objectives after residency. Do you plan on pursuing a competitive fellowship? If so, a well-known university program would be advantageous.

4. rad

rad Member
    7+ Year Member

I know it is very difficult to disregard what other people in your class think but remember that you will be doing the residency and you know what is best for you. OB/Gyn is a tough residency and going to a place that you are most comfortable is the best decision. I think the biggest disadvantage would be with competitive fellowships like gynecological oncology but you could always do an elective with a well-known person in the field. As far as jobs I bet the community program does well placing people in the surrounding communities. I think the university program would be better if you want to go to highly competitive markets far from where you trained

5. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Rad & ER are on the mark with their advice for all specialties. You will (in general) be more competative for the subspecialty fellowships with a pedigree from University Programs. For community practice in general OBGYN it should not matter, and remember that most people will practice in the metropolitan area they train in, so pick a place that you would want to live