University Western Ontario dental school - few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In2Infinity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, was just wondering if their are any canadians on this board who have applied to Western or know any one who has had luck getting in.

If you do, what kinds of things would give me a decent chance?

could an 81-84% average, which equals to a 3.7 GPA (according to OMSAS) give me a chance? or would my university average need to be much closer to 90% to get the interview. Is volunteering very important? or a decent amount of hours is all thats necessary.

any information in regards to this would be great! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, was just wondering if their are any canadians on this board who have applied to Western or know any one who has had luck getting in.

If you do, what kinds of things would give me a decent chance?

could an 81-84% average, which equals to a 3.7 GPA (according to OMSAS) give me a chance? or would my university average need to be much closer to 90% to get the interview. Is volunteering very important? or a decent amount of hours is all thats necessary.

any information in regards to this would be great! thanks

Are you a Canadian or American ??
I have no information on the stats for their International stuents however, that GPA is not good enough for Canadian students.

I don't think they care about volunteer work or EC activities.

Last year, the admitted class had an average of 89.37% which according to OMSAS is a almost a 4.0 GPA.

But this is only the average GPA of your 2 best year ( 30 credit year each).

All that being said, if you are American, you should contact them directly and ask about the status of International students and ... They are very friendly and helful over there.

I went to UWO for undergrad, and I was told that an 85% = interview. Now, I'm not sure if that means that you must have an 85% to even be considered, or whether you are guaranteed an interview with over an 85%. Probably the former. Nothing lost in trying though! I think that's pretty standard for most cut-offs for d-school in Canada.

I was rejected last year with 84% average.

They don't look at your PS, references, etc so if you don't meet the GPA cut off, you are done. Doesn't matter how much extra stuff you have. If you can't land an interview, then you don't get a chance to tell.

Edit: ideally, aim for 90 average