Few Questions as a non-traditional student, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSS7

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advice here. I am planning to pursue dentistry as a non-traditional student. I plan to finish the prerequisite courses currently. Since I want to catch up as quickly as possible. Therefore, I plan to enroll in classes starting from the summer session. However, I heard dental schools don't like students to take classes during the summer session. They prefer the student to take classes during regular sessions (spring/fall). Is that true?
Another question is when dental schools choose candidates. If one traditional student and one non-traditional student have the same stats, does the school prefer the traditional student? Any advice to make a non-traditional student stand out in a short time (maybe 1.5 - 2 yrs), other than trying to get higher stats? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I need some advice here. I am planning to pursue dentistry as a non-traditional student. I plan to finish the prerequisite courses currently. Since I want to catch up as quickly as possible. Therefore, I plan to enroll in classes starting from the summer session. However, I heard dental schools don't like students to take classes during the summer session. They prefer the student to take classes during regular sessions (spring/fall). Is that true?
Another question is when dental schools choose candidates. If one traditional student and one non-traditional student have the same stats, does the school prefer the traditional student? Any advice to make a non-traditional student stand out in a short time (maybe 1.5 - 2 yrs), other than trying to get higher stats?
dontworryaboutit
take the classes when you can and get good grades

non-traditional can be preferred sometimes if you have maturity or skills/experience that will help you as a dental student...

Reactions: 1 users
Who told you this?

You are a non-trad student, so it's possible whatever you are hearing is applicable to traditional students who could be perceived as avoiding taking a class like organic chemistry at their home institution where it could be harder to earn an A, so they take it at a community college (or less rigorous college).

On the second question, we usually will take both students provided both students have a solid dedication to dentistry and can contribute to the learning community as future colleagues. My committee has taken non-trads without hesitation and without any preference for or against the candidate for being non-trad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a non-trad student/applicant.
I took bio/lab during the summer - no problem.
Schools often appreciated my diverse background.
If you have a compelling story that led you to dentistry, you should be fine!

took biochem, anatomy during summer. no issues

I am a non-trad student/applicant.
I took bio/lab during the summer - no problem.
Schools often appreciated my diverse background.
If you have a compelling story that led you to dentistry, you should be fine!
Thank you! Are you applying this cycle? How long it took you to finish all the prerequisite, DAT and get ready to apply?

Thank you! Are you applying this cycle? How long it took you to finish all the prerequisite, DAT and get ready to apply?
Hey! I already applied last summer and got accepted.
I was working and taking courses part-time.
I did fall 2019, spring 2020, summer 1 2020, summer 2 2020, fall 2020, and spring 2021.
Right after the spring 2021 semester, I started preparing for DAT and took it at the end of May (~2 weeks of prep).
Then I started working on the applications and submitted them in mid-June.
I honestly wasn't sure if I could make it... I am very thankful!