Unknown ethnicity...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisgirl888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Need advice...what should I mark on AADSAS if i was adopted and have no clue what my race/ethnicity is? I am reapplying. Last year I left it blank, but a lot of people said I should mark something. My adoptive parents have no information about my birth parents, and I LOOK hispanic/italian/greek/hawaiian?? Not sure. Definitely not white! Thanks.
What do you think you look the closest, too? Listing as Hispanic or Pacific Islanders will give you the most advantage but make sure you look like one. Otherwise the adcoms will think that you lie. You can always explained that more in details in the personal statement and during interviews if they ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Need advice...what should I mark on AADSAS...I LOOK hispanic/italian/greek/hawaiian?? Not sure. Definitely not white! Thanks.

Self identifying whatever you want is the new new new thing. I'd self-identify as Hispanic if I were you. Italian, Greek doesn't shout diversity or grants or scholarships..

Members don't see this ad :)
True....Its confusing because the people that adopted me are white and thats what i grew up around. I dont have any cultural influences in my life aside from white. Yet i have very dark skin, black hair, black eyes etc. Tough!
Hey I bet you're freaking good looking! ;)

I would try and put it on your personal statement or something...because if the schools do a background check on you and realize you aren't what you are...there is going to be a problem.

Hey I bet you're freaking good looking! ;)
I swear all the comments i see you post on this forum are always positive, good for you! It's people like you that still give me hope in this world.

Reactions: 3 users
Just check every box besides white -- that should be sufficient

Reactions: 5 users
The intent of the question is to check the box which you most closely identify. You could always have DNA testing done I suppose.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't say you are Asian or white!

If you have dark skin, I would say you are Native American as this would improve your chances significantly of getting into dental school.

If you don't feel like doing Native American, then say you are Hispanic as that will still increase your chances, although not as much as Native American.

Black is good as well.

If you have dark skin, I would say you are Native American as this would improve your chances significantly of getting into dental school.

If you don't feel like doing Native American, then say you are Hispanic as that will still increase your chances, although not as much as Native American.

Black is good as well.

Most schools want a Tribal Membership number if you are claiming Native American. I am of Native American descent, however, I'm one generation too far removed to become a member of our tribe unfortunately, and therefore cannot claim NA status.

Reactions: 2 users
Need advice...what should I mark on AADSAS if i was adopted and have no clue what my race/ethnicity is? My adoptive parents have no information about my birth parents, and I LOOK hispanic/italian/greek/hawaiian?? Not sure. Thanks.
Not too relevant for your application question but in the future, if you are still curious, you can take a genetic test for a hundred bucks so something to determine your ethnic background.

Found the link: https://www.23andme.com

Black is good as well.

lol

Well that relieves a lot of what people think and/or whom are holding back to say....

Ahhh

America

Members don't see this ad :)
Do an ancestry.com background check and look into your history! Kill two birds with one stone. Find out what race you are and confirm it for apps :)

Just read the post above and apparently I'm late to the party on the idea I just posted. lol. ignore me :)

Don't pull an Elizabeth Warren. You are only officially NA if you have tribal papers. My daughter is officially Oglala Sioux. Her dad is half-blood, so she is quarter blood, which is the blood quantum necessary for recognition by the tribe. If she has children by a non NA, they will not be recognized. This is serious and really pi$$es me off when people say they are NA when they are not just for special treatment. OK. Off my soapbox...please continue with reqularly scheduled posting

Reactions: 4 users
If you don't identify with a particular ethnic community, don't claim affiliation. You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you try pulling off something you don't identify with personally.

Reactions: 4 users
Not true. Do not put other on the ethnicity part. I don't see how putting an ethnicity that receives special consideration would ever hurt an applicant
Because they will often question it in the interview. Take Hispanic, for instance- if you don't speak Spanish, don't understand Hispanic culture, and have absolutely zero known relatives that are Hispanic and they ask you how being Hispanic has affected your life experience, it will wreck your interview when they quickly realize you just checked a box because you look a bit different and thought you could get away with it but in no way identify with the culture or group you've claimed to be. Adcom members aren't stupid, and anyone that checks a box for underrepresented status is going to get a run through the BS detector.

Why does that bother you? Because you only want discrimination to work in favor of your daughter and not other people?

Okay... put it this way, lets say your entire family served in the military, many brothers gave their lives to the military, and you as the child get benefits and special treatment. Now... lets say Billy Bob Joe over here marks that he was in the military when the most he did was Cub Scouts for 5 months, and he gets the same benefits and treatment you do. Do you feel this is fair?

Last edited:
Putting yourself in danger in a war zone or just serving your country in general is hardly the same thing as growing up with darker skin.

Reactions: 2 users
Never said it was the same... just certain people get certain benefits and you really wouldn't want other people abusing it. For example, I get food stamps and I would hate for someone to submit fraudulent numbers just so they can get the same benefits especially if the funds are limited.

Mad Jack is right. One of the reasons that ethnicity is considered for dental school is because URMs are more likely to return to URM communities to practice. It's an access of care issue.

If you were raised by white people in a white area and white culture, you're probably not going to go work in a majority Hispanic or Black community (or on a reservation) after you graduate.

If there is an Other box, check that. If not, check White. Mention it in your PS if you want, and definitely at interviews.

One of my best friends is Asian, adopted by white parents in a very white community. She put Asian on her college applications because she knew her ethnicity, but she definitely discussed it in her essays and interviews.

Mad Jack is right. One of the reasons that ethnicity is considered for dental school is because URMs are more likely to return to URM communities to practice. It's an access of care issue.

If you were raised by white people in a white area and white culture, you're probably not going to go work in a majority Hispanic or Black community (or on a reservation) after you graduate.

One of my best friends is Asian, adopted by white parents in a very white community. She put Asian on her college applications because she knew her ethnicity, but she definitely discussed it in her essays and interviews.

1. "more likely" is not a definitive "do"

2. if med /dental schools tied the idea of debt free medical or dental school education to contracts that required graduates to work 5 years in designated under served communities, every skin color of the rainbow would sign up

3. good thing she's female - otherwise asian+caucasian might be a double whammy red flag for being screened out of the applicant pool

Last edited:
I would select white in your situation.

that was kinda racist...

What's racist is when schools actually give preferential acceptance based on race. My comment was just highlighting this known fact. Also, I'm confused how somehow who has graduated college doesn't know what race bubble to select. Since elementary school we have all been filling out the race bubble on school forms or in same cases medical forms...

Also, I'm confused how somehow who has graduated college doesn't know what race bubble to select. Since elementary school we have all been filling out the race bubble on school forms or in same cases medical forms...
This is a good point. OP, what did you identify as on your college application?

Why does that bother you? Because you only want discrimination to work in favor of your daughter and not other people?

Because there are laws that govern who can and cannot claim NA heritage. My daughter can, any of her future children, unless her husband is also NA, cannot. My other daughter, who has a different father, cannot claim NA heritage...this is just how it works. And it makes me mad when people who do not qualify try to claim NA heritage just to get benefits...NA are one URM that have lost practically everything because of the loss of their land...

NA are one URM that have lost practically everything because of the loss of their land...

I guess you missed the land mine warning sign.

This should be fun!

Smh. Take a history class, people. I find it bizarre that all the white people on here (yes... I'm white too) are actually upset over affirmative action. We came into America, shoved Native Americans onto reservations, forced them to learn English and integrate, and generally treated them horribly. The entire purpose of affirmative action is to bridge the gap of history. That's like claiming that urban communities should just "catch up" with more affluent communities post-gentrification. You all are ridiculous... just because you personally have decided that you're not racist and that you never have been doesn't mean that you don't benefit from the effects of systemic and institutional racism. Get over yourselves. I wish sociology was required across the board for pre-dental students. Even so... the main purpose of admitting minority students (who are qualified, by the way) is to ensure that proper care returns to those same communities- like @strep mutans said above. Unless @dentstudent79 magically decides to practice somewhere underserved. I doubt that, though. Personally I hope you get asked about it during your interview so your quasi-racist views get outed. Get over yourself... you're white, boo-hoo. Life is hard. No one feels bad for you. Stop being bitter and attacking other people for defending their heritage. It's not a good look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Smh. Take a history class, people. I find it bizarre that all the white people on here (yes... I'm white too) are actually upset over affirmative action. We came into America, shoved Native Americans onto reservations, forced them to learn English and integrate, and generally treated them horribly. The entire purpose of affirmative action is to bridge the gap of history. That's like claiming that urban communities should just "catch up" with more affluent communities post-gentrification. You all are ridiculous... just because you personally have decided that you're not racist and that you never have been doesn't mean that you don't benefit from the effects of systemic and institutional racism. Get over yourselves. I wish sociology was required across the board for pre-dental students. Even so... the main purpose of admitting minority students (who are qualified, by the way) is to ensure that proper care returns to those same communities- like @strep mutans said above. Unless @dentstudent79 magically decides to practice somewhere underserved. I doubt that, though. Personally I hope you get asked about it during your interview so your quasi-racist views get outed. Get over yourself... you're white, boo-hoo. Life is hard. No one feels bad for you. Stop being bitter attacking other people for defending their heritage. It's not a good look.
Mr. Kronk, you deserve an award

Smh. Take a history class, people. I find it bizarre that all the white people on here (yes... I'm white too) are actually upset over affirmative action. We came into America, shoved Native Americans onto reservations, forced them to learn English and integrate, and generally treated them horribly. The entire purpose of affirmative action is to bridge the gap of history. That's like claiming that urban communities should just "catch up" with more affluent communities post-gentrification. You all are ridiculous... just because you personally have decided that you're not racist and that you never have been doesn't mean that you don't benefit from the effects of systemic and institutional racism. Get over yourselves. I wish sociology was required across the board for pre-dental students. Even so... the main purpose of admitting minority students (who are qualified, by the way) is to ensure that proper care returns to those same communities- like @strep mutans said above. Unless @dentstudent79 magically decides to practice somewhere underserved. I doubt that, though. Personally I hope you get asked about it during your interview so your quasi-racist views get outed. Get over yourself... you're white, boo-hoo. Life is hard. No one feels bad for you. Stop being bitter and attacking other people for defending their heritage. It's not a good look.

Kronk for president. #EducationKronk16 #ButReallyThough

The entire purpose of affirmative action is to bridge the gap of history. That's like claiming that urban communities should just "catch up" with more affluent communities post-gentrification. You all are ridiculous... just because you personally have decided that you're not racist and that you never have been doesn't mean that you don't benefit from the effects of systemic and institutional racism. Get over yourselves. I wish sociology was required across the board for pre-dental students. Even so... the main purpose of admitting minority students (who are qualified, by the way) is to ensure that proper care returns to those same communities- like @strep mutans said above. Unless @dentstudent79 magically decides to practice somewhere underserved. I doubt that, though. Personally I hope you get asked about it during your interview so your quasi-racist views get outed. Get over yourself... you're white, boo-hoo. Life is hard. No one feels bad for you. Stop being bitter and attacking other people for defending their heritage. It's not a good look.

Back at you re: "it's not a good look and get over yourselves."

Heads up #1 - many of us are NOT Caucasian.

Heads up #2 - many of us would not have survived in your racist bro community but for the kindness of Caucasian run parochial schools.

Heads up #3 - many of our family tree relatives faced death by oven, or death by slave labor, or even life by cannibalism.

Heads up #4 - take your entitled attitude and stuff it.

Life is hard for all of us, not just your self-absorbed, victim obsessed community.

Back at you re: "it's not a good look and get over yourselves."

Heads up #1 - many of us are NOT Caucasian.

Heads up #2 - many of us would not have survived in your racist bro community but for the kindness of Caucasian run parochial schools.

Heads up #3 - many of our family tree relatives faced death by oven, or death by slave labor, or even life by cannibalism.

Heads up #4 - take your entitled attitude and stuff it.

Life is hard for all of us, not just your self-absorbed, victim obsessed community.

I'm not saying life isn't hard. I didn't claim your life wasn't hard... I wasn't talking to you. I'm saying that to dismiss another person's race and heritage and to imply that it's "selfish" to be distressed at others claiming Native American roots is ridiculous. I'm not being entitled. I was explaining that it IS entitled to disregard a person's history and say that a system is racist because it wants to be inclusive to Native Americans. Especially when the American education system has ostracized that community for generations.

I don't know what you're getting at by talking about your family tree... because the point of my post wasn't to dismiss history. It was a call for people to do the opposite. I don't really understand your post, honestly- apart from making a generalization about white people (not much of a crime since I am white), I don't think there's much to be upset about.

Also, sorry to OP for making your thread spiral out of control...

Just to continue the history lesson, most immigrants to the US have lost their land, faced discrimination, employers would post signs saying "Irish need not apply" or "Italians need not apply" as each wave of immigrants came to the US. This is not unique to the Native American population, again, keeping in mind that I am of Native American origin, my grandmother was born on a reservation, I very well may practice near a reservation. The difference with the immigrants from the 1800's-early 1900's, however, if that they adapted and assimilated to their new country vs expecting their new country to adapt and assimilate to them. A lot of things went wrong in the past, however, continuing to use those excuses helps no one....

Affirmative action is not there to "bridge the gap of history". If that were the case, being Irish would qualify...but it doesn't. Affirmative action is a response to the Civil Rights movement and politicians being "politically correct" and trying to get white business owners to hire southern black men...and then it spiraled from there to include other ethnic groups. It is, however, totally acceptable in the US to discriminate against white males, which is just as wrong as discriminating against any other group, but to say otherwise automatically labels you as racist.

Affirmative action is not there to "bridge the gap of history". If that were the case, being Irish would qualify...but it doesn't.

It is, however, totally acceptable in the US to discriminate against white males, which is just as wrong as discriminating against any other group, but to say otherwise automatically labels you as racist.
Wow, I didn't realize Irish immigrants to America suffered from genocide and/or complete enslavement when they got here.

Since when are white males discriminated against?? And by whom? Are you referring to higher education specifically? Because there are federal laws prohibiting discrimination based on race and gender in pretty much all other aspects.

If you feel that threatened by the very very few Native American and/or Black applicants that meet all dental school admissions requirements, maybe you should examine the weaknesses of your own application more carefully. I assure you that white skin is not one of them, and that merely being white (or male) will not keep you from being admitted.

The URMs are not your competition. The other white (and Asian) people are. Remember, you don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to run faster than the other guy.

So why

So why do Hispanics benefit from AA? We never enslaved them. And by that logic, Japanese Americans should benefit from AA because of internment camps, but they don't. AA has nothing to do with making past wrongs right. It has to do with taking a group of people with generally lower scores, and lowering the bar for them so that they can get admissions to schools they have no business being at
I'm not claiming that is the reason for AA, but to compare the discrimination towards Irish immigrants to the genocide and enslavement of Native Americans and Blacks, respectively, is ridiculous.