Unknown ethnicity...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You agreed with kronk when he said that the purpose of AA was to bridge the gap of history. Now you are changing your mind because I wrecked your argument. The bottom line is that discrimination is never correct, even when it is supposedly to help a group of people. Asian people and white people should not be held to higher standards than other races just because of their skin color, and the fact that they are is indeed discrimination.

I'm done commenting on this because you and other people in this thread clearly have made up your minds and support discrimination against white people, which is extremely offensive to me. But, I'm just a white male, so if I find something offensive, it really doesn't matter because I've had everything handed to me in life, especially when I lived in a $28,000 house and my dad sold vacuum cleaners. Those were such easy times.
I understand that you do not want to comment on this thread anymore, and that is fine, but I must point out that I do not see where I agreed with kronk's bridging history comment. I said it was about access to care.

That doesn't mean I can't point out how ridiculous the Irish immigrant point was.

I am also white. I do not suffer from any form of "white guilt," and I don't believe in a lot of the ideas of "white privilege." I too have been through very tough times, and am fully and personally aware that white people also suffer from poverty (actually by absolute numbers, more white people are in poverty than black people).

However, I don't see the point in getting all butt hurt over the few URMs who get into professional schools. I think there are more important things to be angry about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You agreed with kronk when he said that the purpose of AA was to bridge the gap of history. Now you are changing your mind because I wrecked your argument. The bottom line is that discrimination is never correct, even when it is supposedly to help a group of people. Asian people and white people should not be held to higher standards than other races just because of their skin color, and the fact that they are is indeed discrimination.

I'm done commenting on this because you and other people in this thread clearly have made up your minds and support discrimination against white people, which is extremely offensive to me. But, I'm just a white male, so if I find something offensive, it really doesn't matter because I've had everything handed to me in life, especially when I lived in a $28,000 house and my dad sold vacuum cleaners. Those were such easy times.

That's why they have scholarships and ask how much your parents make on your application... And where you grew up. They'll take all of that into consideration. I have mad respect for people who do everything on their own, by the way. But to say that you're actively being discriminated against isn't true. But if you want to believe that, then there's no one stopping you.

Ignorance is truly believing that your daughter deserves special treatment because her dad was Native American...
You clearly aren't aware of the massive health disparities faced by the Native American community. The purpose of a school isn't to pick the smartest or highest stat students, but to pick the right students to provide a necessary aspect of health care to the people that need it in this country. Native Americans are perhaps the most in need group in the nation, with health care outcomes that rival many developing nations.

This is why the question of ethnicity is an important one, and why having a connection to one's community is actually important when it comes to deciding whether one should check the URM box. If you've got no connection to the community and they ask you how being a member of X community or how you plan to serve X community in the future, you're going to fall flat on your face come interview time, because you've basically checked a box just to glean an advantage while offering nothing to the community in question.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So why

So why do Hispanics benefit from AA? We never enslaved them. And by that logic, Japanese Americans should benefit from AA because of internment camps, but they don't. AA has nothing to do with making past wrongs right. It has to do with taking a group of people with generally lower scores, and lowering the bar for them so that they can get admissions to schools they have no business being at

To claim that URMs don't have any business at dental or medical schools is ridiculous. They aren't actively taking spots away from you. There are tons and tons of schools every year that take no black students, a few Hispanic students, and maybe 1 Pacific Islander once every five years. And there's no way that you can claim that their stats are lower- because you just don't know. I doubt that you care about students getting admitted to Howard or Meharry... those are likely where the lower stats are coming from. And they also produce quality healthcare providers regardless. Who will actually return to the communities from where they came and make a difference in underserved regions.

It's sad to think that just because someone's skin might be a different color in your dental class that you'd assume that they only were accepted because of that. I have a Hispanic friend that got a 26AA a while back and he had to deal with crap like this even after he was accepted. What do they have to do... print out their score report just so people will show them respect? Stats aren't everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, I didn't realize Irish immigrants to America suffered from genocide and/or complete enslavement when they got here.

Since when are white males discriminated against?? And by whom? Are you referring to higher education specifically? Because there are federal laws prohibiting discrimination based on race and gender in pretty much all other aspects.

If you feel that threatened by the very very few Native American and/or Black applicants that meet all dental school admissions requirements, maybe you should examine the weaknesses of your own application more carefully. I assure you that white skin is not one of them, and that merely being white (or male) will not keep you from being admitted.

The URMs are not your competition. The other white (and Asian) people are. Remember, you don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to run faster than the other guy.

Look up indentured servant and why most Irish (and other European's) immigrated to the US....

White males are discriminated against frequently...every time a less qualified candidate for anything, school, employment, etc. are selected because of AA.

Did you read where I AM of Native American heritage?

White males certainly DO have to run faster than the bear where as groups served by affirmative action do not, they are pulled out of harms way by affirmative action....

Hmm... seems like this thread should be closed? AA is a touchy issue...

Here's my 2 cents anyway:

AA does indeed discriminate against whites and Asians (there is no arguing this point), but at the same time AA tries to level the playing field between the larger URM community and white/Asian communities, which are only usually better off. While AA based on ethnicity alone is a pretty sucky solution, it is meant only as a "bandaid solution," that will be used until a better solution to racial discrimination (faced mostly by URMs) in the corporate world is implemented.

AA also hurts URMs... URMs are often looked down open at their jobs/colleges/grad schools because their colleagues know it is easier for URMs to be accepted (not always a fair judgment, and especially hurts URMs).

Hmm... seems like this thread should be closed? AA is a touchy issue...

Here's my 2 cents anyway:

AA does indeed discriminate against whites and Asians (there is no arguing this point), but at the same time AA tries to level the playing field between the larger URM community and white/Asian communities, which are only usually better off. While AA based on ethnicity alone is a pretty sucky solution, it is meant only as a "bandaid solution," that will be used until a better solution to racial discrimination (faced mostly by URMs) in the corporate world is implemented.

AA also hurts URMs... URMs are often looked down open at their jobs/colleges/grad schools because their colleagues know it is easier for URMs to be accepted (not always a fair judgment, and especially hurts URMs).

Which are all reasons why AA should just go away. At one time it was probably needed, but it no longer is beneficial for anyone.

Skimming through the ADEA 2013 book, more often than not, schools enrolled less than 5 hispanic/black students. A big school like Boston didn't even enroll any. Are we really going to be this negative?

At the end of the day, your ethnicity won't matter as much as people think... You get an interview if you make the cut. If marking yourself as URM helped along the way, yayy. If not, oh well. That said, I would definitely mark something down.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Skimming through the ADEA 2013 book, more often than not, schools enrolled less than 5 hispanic/black students. A big school like Boston didn't even enroll any. Are we really going to be this negative?

Also take into consideration how many African Americans are actually applying into these programs...the amount are very slim, at my state University, I only know 2-5 African American in all my 4 years who were "premed/dental/pharmacy". Everyone else was white, asian, etc. Sooo idk why you guys are getting soo butt hurt cause the application pool of African Americans I notice is miniscule compared to the over all population.

I guess i can also add that in my interviews, I didn't find 1 african american at all 5 of them. (not that I was looking or anything, I just happened to notice)

Need advice...what should I mark on AADSAS if i was adopted and have no clue what my race/ethnicity is? My adoptive parents have no information about my birth parents, and I LOOK hispanic/italian/greek/hawaiian?? Not sure. Thanks.
Just take on the ethnicity of your adoptive parents, since that was what you were raised in.

Btw, I am Native American and since the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978, anyone who is not a member of a tribe cannot adopt a Native American child without very special permission from that child's tribe, so you can settle your mind that you are not Native American.

I am sorry to hear that you don't know your heritage, that must be very hard on you. Perhaps you're mixed race black and white? My husband is and he looks Hawaiian, Greek, Polynesian, and/or sometimes Hispanic. What type of hair do you have naturally, that should narrow it down a lot!