UNLV Dental School w/out bachelor Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CacheValley

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at Dental as an option of a career (75 hours shadow time so far, and many to come), specifically looking at UNLV as an option to apply at. Does anyone know the rates at which people get into UNLV without a degree?

I have about 50 credits so far, and still need to take "Gen Chem, O-Chem, Physics and BioChem. I have my Biology w/ Lab, Human Anatomy and English finished. I've taken a few other classes that are towards a general Associates.

If I get a decent GPA in my Prereqs(3.3-3.8) and and decent DAT (20-21), and transferring to UNLV for my last year to finish up the last of prereqs to get "in-state",,, what are my chances looking like? Opinions?

P.S. If I go through and get a science degree I would have roughly 3.5 years left because my focus in the beginning was business admin. Which is why I'm looking at getting my prereqs only.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the director of admission at UNLV, there are students who have been accepted without a bachelor's. I don't know what the rate of acceptance is, but in general one's chances of admission without a bachelor's is low - it's possible but uncommon.

I would aim for higher than a 3.3 and an average DAT if you wanted to have a good shot at getting in without the bachelor's degree and with your pre-reqs only. You would really want to impress upon them that you are highly capable academically, and the range you provided might not cut it.

Reactions: 1 user
According to the director of admission at UNLV, there are students who have been accepted without a bachelor's. I don't know what the rate of acceptance is, but in general one's chances of admission without a bachelor's is low - it's possible but uncommon.

I would aim for higher than a 3.3 and an average DAT if you wanted to have a good shot at getting in without the bachelor's degree and with your pre-reqs only. You would really want to impress upon them that you are highly capable academically, and the range you provided might not cut it.
I agree. I got in without one, but I had to kill myself to get far better than average. Your aim can't be just "decent". You have to aim for the best of the best because you will be competing with people who are already above average who also have their bachelors. Make them want you regardless of your bachelors status with a high GPA (3.8+), high DAT (21+), 1000's of experience hours (shadowing, volunteer, dental assisting if possible), etc.

Reactions: 1 users