UNM Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kmpedro

So I know this is a long shot, since there are not that many New Mexicans on this forum, but has anyone who applied EDP to UNM heard back? Also, for anyone who has applied there in the past, how long did it take to hear back after your interview? I interviewed on 9/22/06, and I was just wondering if there was any chance that I could hear back before March 07?

Knowing my decision there could really save me a lot of time/money on other potential interviews. Thanks for your help in advance. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hola, soy una nueva mexicana tambien. During my interview with Dr. Bear I asked him about how UNM is usually non-rolling but I've heard that sometimes they do send out acceptances a few weeks post interview. He explained that those are only for 3.99999999998's with 40 MCATs. He further explained that they don't start going through the non- 3.99999999999998/40s until Feb!

So hang in there, enjoy some chimayo chile, and realize that there's only 165 days left to wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

:p

Hola, soy una nueva mexicana tambien. During my interview with Dr. Bear I asked him about how UNM is usually non-rolling but I've heard that sometimes they do send out acceptances a few weeks post interview. He explained that those are only for 3.99999999998's with 40 MCATs. He further explained that they don't start going through the non- 3.99999999999998/40s until Feb!

So hang in there, enjoy some chimayo chile, and realize that there's only 165 days left to wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

:p

Thank you for your reply. Obviously you allready interviewed at UNM also. Who else did you interview with?

I had Dr. Fontana and Dr. Hutchision, both were incredibly nice. That stinks about the admissions time line. I have the GPA, but not the 40 MCAT. :(

How do you think your interview went? I am so happy that there is another SDNer from NM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pedro:

I interviewed with Dr. Wistler (a pediatrician at a westside clinic) and then with Dr. Bear. Dr. Wistler told me my interview went very well, and Dr. Bear said that I had a good chance, and that should I be offered admission anywhere else to contact him and he'd see what he could do (that's how I know that they don't look at all the applicants until feb.)

However, this is my 3rd time applying to UNM, and last year and this year I thought my interviews went well, so there's no telling until St. Patty's day :luck:

If you're a born and bred new mexican and spanish is your native language, then depending on your MCAT they might be sending you something soon.

hope that helps!

HELLO HELLO my 505'ers,

Fellow New Mexican here, although I applied regular decision, not early.

I interviewed first with Dr. Crookshaw or something (I can't remember his name). He is an MD/PHD that works in the pathology/blood work lab. My interview with him went well, although he seemed to talk a lot.

My second interview was supposed to be with a current med student, but she didn't show (of course). So instead I interviewed with Dr. Bear, and he was great. I loved how he straight up told me if I let him know of the schools I am interviewing at, he'll tell me whether they are worth it or not. He was also super easy to talk to. They didn't tell me how I interviewed....although I didn't ask. Did you guys email them post interview or just discuss it at the end?

Diego

Pedro:

I interviewed with Dr. Wistler (a pediatrician at a westside clinic) and then with Dr. Bear. Dr. Wistler told me my interview went very well, and Dr. Bear said that I had a good chance, and that should I be offered admission anywhere else to contact him and he'd see what he could do (that's how I know that they don't look at all the applicants until feb.)

However, this is my 3rd time applying to UNM, and last year and this year I thought my interviews went well, so there's no telling until St. Patty's day :luck:

If you're a born and bred new mexican and spanish is your native language, then depending on your MCAT they might be sending you something soon.

hope that helps!

That is great, I hope this year is the year for you. I have heard that UNM is notorious for rejecting people on first and even second tries, but hang in there, cause it should be obvious how badly you want to be a doctor by now, and our state is in desperate need of motivated individuals like yourself.

Thanks for the info. from Dr. Bear. I really appreciate it. Good luck to you. :luck:

HELLO HELLO my 505'ers,

Fellow New Mexican here, although I applied regular decision, not early.

I interviewed first with Dr. Crookshaw or something (I can't remember his name). He is an MD/PHD that works in the pathology/blood work lab. My interview with him went well, although he seemed to talk a lot.

My second interview was supposed to be with a current med student, but she didn't show (of course). So instead I interviewed with Dr. Bear, and he was great. I loved how he straight up told me if I let him know of the schools I am interviewing at, he'll tell me whether they are worth it or not. He was also super easy to talk to. They didn't tell me how I interviewed....although I didn't ask. Did you guys email them post interview or just discuss it at the end?

Diego

Diego, thanks for the reply. I can't believe that there are three of us on here. :laugh: I noticed that you are also interviewing at AECOM. What day are you going on? I ask because I am interviewing there as well. Maybe AECOM has some love for the SW?

Best of luck to you in this process. :luck:

Hey, I am interviewing two weeks from now, on Monday October 15th. Let me know if you are in the area. I have another NYC interview at the time, so I'm trying to get those two done in one trip. Also, let me know if you need any other info. Honestly, UNM looked quite appealing upon my experiences during my interview.

Diego

Diego, thanks for the reply. I can't believe that there are three of us on here. :laugh: I noticed that you are also interviewing at AECOM. What day are you going on? I ask because I am interviewing there as well. Maybe AECOM has some love for the SW?

Best of luck to you in this process. :luck:

Just wanted to let everybody know that UNM has added something to the secondary application!!!!!!!

I thought I was complete after my interview on the 18th, but something told me to check the site again (som.unm.edu), and now there's this 'certify' link. It only asks about your new mexico residency, but it wasn't there a few weeks ago, b/c I was checking the site to make certain that all my letters had been received. I didn't get an email or anything, so I though you might like to know.

I met someone recently who was admitted less than a month after her interview in early January.

For the rest of us, the wait continues....

I met someone recently who was admitted less than a month after her interview in early January.

For the rest of us, the wait continues....

I interviewed at UNM in late September and I'm going crazy waiting to hear! Once I know UNMs decision, I can start making decisions about other schools. It's just frustrating. Every other school seems to have rolling admissions except for UNM!

I interviewed at UNM in late September and I'm going crazy waiting to hear! Once I know UNMs decision, I can start making decisions about other schools. It's just frustrating. Every other school seems to have rolling admissions except for UNM!

I'm with you Chula, and since I go to UNM I just want to walk up to the Med School and be like "Look I have some other accpetances, but I can't make a decision till I hear back from you, so just look up my score from after my interview and let me know if I have a shot kay?"

Anyway, just venting my frustrations as well. :laugh:

Wow! you have a lot of acceptances, pedro. Congratulations! I'm in at Case, CCLCM and Penn State, myself. UNM is the only school left that I'm waiting on. I agree. This is really frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
WHYYYY WONNN'TTT THEY TELL USS???

It's driving me crazy as well. All's I gotta say guys is power to the 505!! I didn't know there were so many of us on SDN. Granted, I know they say it's just a place for overacheivers to brag, but I think it was a great tool, especially for people like us. When the pickings are slim (all 1.3 million of us in the state), we gotta keep strength in numbers. Que Viva Nuevo Mexico!! Que Viva Alburquerque (yeah, that's right, I threw an extra r in there), Que Viva The Frontier....oh wait.

Pedro, congrats on AECOM!!! What did you think of the school? It's one of my choices as well and I'm struggling.

21 days 'til UNM sends out letters

Hello fellow New Mexicans,

I grew up in New Mexico as well but went to undergrad in Seattle. It's funny but I also interviewed at Albert Einstein in November but I got waitlisted so I'm not too optimistic about getting in. Now I'm just waiting for UNM and the University of Washington. I think someone said that UNM is notorius for rejecting people the first and second times. Is that true? I hope it isn't since this is my first application. From your understanding UNM will be sending out acceptances between March 1st-15th, is that correct?

I think someone said that UNM is notorius for rejecting people the first and second times. Is that true?

This apparently happens frequently, but I do know of several who were accepted on their first try. Maybe you (and I) will be in that lucky group.

UNM will be sending out acceptances between March 1st-15th, is that correct?

They usually mail decisions out on March 15th. This was true in past years and what they said on interview day also.

I can't be the only one waiting for this school. Who are you and when did you interview?

Still waiting as well. Anxious, but realistic that UNM has a stigma that they have lived up to with first time applicants and other factors also, so not hoping for any miracle. Funny though, that I was good enough for them to pay me to go here for undergrad! :)

WHYYYY WONNN'TTT THEY TELL USS???

It's driving me crazy as well. All's I gotta say guys is power to the 505!! I didn't know there were so many of us on SDN. Granted, I know they say it's just a place for overacheivers to brag, but I think it was a great tool, especially for people like us. When the pickings are slim (all 1.3 million of us in the state), we gotta keep strength in numbers. Que Viva Nuevo Mexico!! Que Viva Alburquerque (yeah, that's right, I threw an extra r in there), Que Viva The Frontier....oh wait.

Pedro, congrats on AECOM!!! What did you think of the school? It's one of my choices as well and I'm struggling.

Wow the Fronteir line is awesome. Gotta love a place where you can slowly kill yourself with a cinamon bun the size of your plate drenched in butter for under $2. Anyway, thanks for the congrats. At first I was sure of Penn State as my number one choice, but AECOM has really been keeping in touch via e-mail, mail, and phone. I feel that they really want me to come there, which is nice since we pay a rediculous amount of money for our education.

The only thing holding me back is its location. I am married and we want to have kids during med school. So I really don't know if that is possible in the Bronx. Not due to safety, but just due to space. It might be hard to study in a studio apartment with my wife and child! :) What did you think about the school?

I am a new mexican that went elsewhere for undergrad and for my masters in public health. I interviewed back in september and i'm dying to hear already. I've been accepted to penn state, case western and cleveland clinic. This is my first application cycle so i could be dealing with that stigma as well

This is my first application cycle so i could be dealing with that stigma as well

I'm hoping UNM's reputation for rejecting applicants the first time they apply is really overblown.

Hey everybody, I'm sorry I'm late, just talked to the sweet ladies down in the unm admissions department. They said they wanted to get the letters out today pero no go. She said the realistic date is tuesday and that they will be sending out acceptances, alternates, and rejections all together. So hopefully we'll know come thursday if your local, monday after that if your out of town. Hope this helps the nerves and good luck to all of you. Btw, where have you all been hiding, I've been looking for new mexicans for months. Well at least I know I'm not the only one waiting!:thumbup:

Rocket,

Thanks for the update, that really helps with the waiting game. So have you heard back from any other places that you interviewed at? Is UNM your #1 choice if accepted?

I am really nervous about the coming letter as well. I really hope that I at least have the option to stay close to my family and friends here. Best of luck to you. :thumbup:

Rocket,

Thanks for the update, that really helps with the waiting game. So have you heard back from any other places that you interviewed at? Is UNM your #1 choice if accepted?

I am really nervous about the coming letter as well. I really hope that I at least have the option to stay close to my family and friends here. Best of luck to you. :thumbup:

UNM is my first choice for sure, I only applied to UNM this year on account of the fact that if I got in somewhere else, I'd still want to give UNM one more shot, but honestly it's mostly familial and financial situation which is keeping me here. I'm not at the 'desperate and will go anywhere' stage yet, but that may change come this summer. I interviewed with Bear and Romero-Leggott and I think it went well, I guess I'll know in about a week or so.

If I don't get in this round I don't know what I'll do, maybe I'll go back to playing for the San Diego Chargers, that was fun, or maybe I'll take that job at Dell, I don't know though, I've never been a CEO before, might be hard, I guess I also have my amazing voice talent to fall back on, wonder if my contract with Virgin is still on the table. Just thinking out loud, but good luck to the rest of you all.:rolleyes:

Thanks Roket!

Going by what my interviewer said, I thought I'd have to wait at least another few weeks.

Hope we all hear good news next week. :luck:

Wow the Fronteir line is awesome. Gotta love a place where you can slowly kill yourself with a cinamon bun the size of your plate drenched in butter for under $2. Anyway, thanks for the congrats. At first I was sure of Penn State as my number one choice, but AECOM has really been keeping in touch via e-mail, mail, and phone. I feel that they really want me to come there, which is nice since we pay a rediculous amount of money for our education.

The only thing holding me back is its location. I am married and we want to have kids during med school. So I really don't know if that is possible in the Bronx. Not due to safety, but just due to space. It might be hard to study in a studio apartment with my wife and child! :) What did you think about the school?

I agree with you.

Einstein has kept great contact with me. I at first didn't like the school when I interviewed, but I had a meeting in the afternoon with Dr. Kerrigan, and she was amazing.........literally amazing. I'm actually in Sydney right now until July, but she called my parents a week ago to talk to them, which speaks volumes about the school. I'm not sure how I'm gonna be able to make the final decision about where I go to school. I have to do it all correspondence (since I'm several timezones away), and I made sure to learn everything I could about the schools where I interviewed while I was there......but still, I don't like the fact that I can't see the schools a second time. Well, hopefully UNM will be on that list............another few days, right?

Finally, today's the day letters go out. Hopefully us locals will hear early tomorrow. :luck:

Do the letters go out today? When I called yesterday they said it was just going to be some time this week.

So today I went to verify that the letters go out today. I'm normally not so anal retentive but they have my old address on file and have yet to update it so I have to keep an eye on them. Anyways, they said that the letters will probably be out tomorrow or thursday at the latest. This is the very same woman who told me, the first of march, then switched it to the following monday, then said tuesday at the latest. As I was leaving she actually had the nerve to say, "I know how it is." No, you obviously don't. When you are waiting for something and someone keeps telling you a day and then pushes that day back. I don't know why she didn't just say March 15th and if we got them earlier great for us. I'd rather think the day is far away then have my hopes dashed every 3 days. What the hell is taking them so long anyways? On a lighter note, I do know of at least 3 people who recieved their letters over the weekend, I'll withhold their status to avoid freaking you guys out, but hang in there and count on knowing sometime mid april.:luck: :luck: :luck:

the letters will probably be out tomorrow or thursday at the latest. This is the very same woman who told me, the first of march, then switched it to the following monday, then said tuesday at the latest.

Ugh! This is messed up. I work on North Campus and stopped by this morning and was told: "yup they go out today." Someone is obviously screwing with us just for fun! Mean :mad:

I am freaking out right now! I have a big Toxins test tomorrow that I should be studying for, but all I can think about is my UNM letter that may or may not have been sent out today???

I don't know why I am getting my hopes up all of a sudden. I know the politics of UNM and have been telling myself the whole time that it is a long shot for me, even though I am a native from UNM. Now letter time comes and I start getting my hopes up??? I must be delusional. Man this is no fun. I am sure I am going to have an ulcer by the end of this semester.... :)

I am freaking out right now! I have a big Toxins test tomorrow that I should be studying for, but all I can think about is my UNM letter that may or may not have been sent out today???

Funny... we're in the same boat. I too have a test tomorrow in Microbio and am checking this site instead of studying 'cuz I'm so preoccupied. I'm still holding out hope that I'll get an acceptance tomorrow (even though I know how unlikely since I'm a first time applicant, yada... yada... yada).

Nothing in the mail for me today. Did anyone else hear?

I just verified with the admissions office that all letters were finally mailed out this morning.

:luck: :luck: :luck: Good luck to everyone waiting! :luck: :luck: :luck:

So I've been pm'd about the decisions I heard about, and so I'll spill the beans since the letters are in the mail. They were as you all expected acceptances but don't let that get you down, acceptances have been going out since january so don't mean that since you haven't gotten yours that your an alternate or a rejection. Let's stay strong and hope that we all get good news come saturday. Don't you love the admissions process!:love: :love: :love:

:laugh: :thumbup: Can I be the first to announce I got an acceptance today at 12:34pm. I take back all those hateful, hateful, things I said about UNM. I had to tell somebody. Good luck to the rest of you, let's keep the good vibes rolling!:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :love: :D ;)
I went a little emoticon crazy... Sorry.

Hi everyone, also waiting on UNM, but got nothing in the mail today. I am also local, I bet this is a bad sign. :eek:

I got an acceptance today at 12:34pm.

Congratulations! Just what you were hoping for - yay Roket!

I had to wait for my mailman until 6:45pm!
What the heck? Who delivers mail in the so. valley after the sun sets?

Anyway... my news not so good... big fat waitlist.

So I guess they tried to deliver my letter and they couldn't leave it because it was sent certified mail, so I have to go and pick it up tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM. Not going to be a good night for sleep.

Mrs. Smith and roket how did you two hear?

Hang in there Mrs. Smith, I hear UNM goes deep on the waitlist. Did they give you a number to call to check where you're at? I heard they did that in years past. Good luck to you Zeus MD, my sister signed for my certified letter yesterday. Again, good luck everybody!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Hang in there Mrs. Smith, I hear UNM goes deep on the waitlist. Did they give you a number to call to check where you're at? I heard they did that in years past. Good luck to you Zeus MD, my sister signed for my certified letter yesterday. Again, good luck everybody!:luck: :luck: :luck:

No rankings given out yet - they said not to call for it until after May 1st. 40 applicants are ranked as alternates and they said they typically go to about #25. Now I have to try not to think about it until May when I find out if I'm high/low on that list and if I have a shot!

ZeusMD, a certified letter is good, I think they only send acceptances that way. Good luck!

Thanks all for the well wishes. I actually picked up my acceptance today from the post office. I was quite surprisized, but feel very fortunate as well.

Hope all who are still waiting hear good news soon. Good Luck!! :)

Well I send positive vibes your way Mrs. Smith. Congratulations Zeus, that's great to hear. :luck: :luck: :luck: And further good luck to those that haven't heard anything yet!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm glad to hear that people are finally starting to hear from UNM. I am in Seattle and still not received a letter and it's driving me crazy. I'm just wondering, if you don't mind, the people that got accepted, waitlisted or rejected post their stats as far as gpa, mcat, urm, and any other important info. Thanks so much.

Hey all,

got my letter today. i'm on the alternate list :p. Looks like I'm heading to someplace cold next year instead of new mexico. Maybe they'll like me for residency.

For those of you who are planning on attending UNM, do you know if there's a revisit event or something like that?

I haven't heard anything from them since I got my letter.
I guess I should just give them a call.

Good luck to all of you that are still waiting, I remember what NM mail is like.

Never mind, I got the letter for the revisit day on April 14th.

Good luck everybody.