Unmatched Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfilled Programs by State

Emergency Medicine

California Code

Martin L King Jr/Drew-CA
Eugene Hardin 2057110C0

Louisiana Code

Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA
Cris Mandry 1221110C0

Michigan Code

St John Hospital-MI
Don Benson 1915110C0

Mississippi Code

University Hosps-Jackson-MS
Robert Galli 1957110R0

New Jersey Code

Newark Beth Israel-NJ
Marc Borenstein 1397110C0

New York Code

Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
Andy Jagoda 1490110A0

Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY
Gregory Garra 2919110C0

North Carolina Code

U Hlth Sys E Carolina-NC
Charles Brown 3057110C0

8 record(s) found.

Members don't see this ad.

Duke filled!! You can't see it, but I'm doing my happy dance right now. We've got a great group of people here and I'm really really glad that interviewees saw that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by aliraja
Duke filled!! You can't see it, but I'm doing my happy dance right now. We've got a great group of people here and I'm really really glad that interviewees saw that.

There's one intern there that's suspect................

:D
;)

I had no doubt that Duke would fill... the name alone would attract enough applicants, methinks.

Q, DO

Eire, are this all the programs that didn't fill - as in accounting for the 22 spots - or are there more?

And does anybody know how many candidates there were this year for EM - and therefore how many to fight for the unfilled positions? I realize there may be some backing up with other specialties, that might have matched, even though not in the EM.

Originally posted by tabasco
Eire, are this all the programs that didn't fill - as in accounting for the 22 spots - or are there more?

And does anybody know how many candidates there were this year for EM - and therefore how many to fight for the unfilled positions? I realize there may be some backing up with other specialties, that might have matched, even though not in the EM.

I posted a month or so ago about the total # of applicants. Cant' remember the thread and am too lazy to find it ofr you, but I think the title of the thread was sometihng along the lines of "rumor mill # of applications" or something of that ilk.

Q, DO

Nevermind. I feel bad, since I'm the moderator, of making you look up an old thread. Here you go, I will c/p it.

Most of you probably saw the ERAS data that was e-mailed recently, but for those of you who did not, there is good news. The number of us graduates applying in ERAS to EM are up by 140 this year, from 1593 to 1733.
International graduate applications are relatively stable (460 to 455). Using NRMP (not ERAS) data, the number of US seniors who ultimately applied to at least 1 EM program was 1104 in 2001, 1134 in 2002, and 1136 in 2003. Obviously, some folks who apply to EM programs ultimately do not
follow through on interviews and rankings, so the final numbers in ERAS
will be less than 1733. However, the increase in 140 applicants is
good -
suggests that we will also have a significantly higher number of NRMP
applicants to EM, enough to cover the position increases of 5 new
programs
and quota increases by other programs

Q, DO

Broken down by region so we don't have to keep flipping between websites.

WESTERN--3
California Code
Martin L King Jr/Drew-CA

CENTRAL--2
Michigan Code
St John Hospital-MI

SOUTHERN--11 (This seems like a lot for just three programs)
Louisiana Code
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA
Mississippi Code
North Carolina Code
U Hlth Sys E Carolina-NC

NORTHEASTERN--6 Categorical plus 2 PGY2 spots
New Jersey Code
Newark Beth Israel-NJ
New York Code
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY

I think it is worth mentioning that of the 5 new programs, only 4 went through the match and the 5th (the one in Louisianna) isn't even interviewing until after match day.

That opens up the posibilities for some unmatched applicants.

Here are the actual numbers. The first number is the quota, the second is the number matched

Emergency Medicine

Martin L King Jr/Drew-CA
14 11

Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA
12 7

St John Hospital-MI
10 8

6 3

Newark Beth Israel-NJ
7 4

Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
12 10

10 7

U Hlth Sys E Carolina-NC
12 9

All of these programs had at least two slots available.

Any speculation as to why?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI

I was looking on the SAEM residency catalog & it is also offering 2 PGY-1 positions at Rochester for people doing the scramble.

University of Mississippi has several unfilled spots every year it seems. This is very interesting, and from when I interviewed there several years ago, it was explained to me like this.

They are a 2-4 program. So, this year match, they are interviewing for those to start in the 2nd year for 2005. This means, that they still have another year to try to fill some of these spots. For instance, if they don't like people, they will not put people on the match list just so they can match. They will hold those spots open for the year, and they can then interview people that have a year or more of experience and want to switch into EM. For instance, they have taken people that have done several years of a surgical residency, they have taken an anesthesiology attending who wanted to then do EM....they have many options to fill those spots over the next year.

This info is interesting, because I ranked ECU 4th, so I know I can't have gone farther down my list than that. Cool.

C

Originally posted by EMIMG
University of Mississippi has several unfilled spots every year it seems. This is very interesting, and from when I interviewed there several years ago, it was explained to me like this.

They are a 2-4 program. So, this year match, they are interviewing for those to start in the 2nd year for 2005. This means, that they still have another year to try to fill some of these spots. For instance, if they don't like people, they will not put people on the match list just so they can match. They will hold those spots open for the year, and they can then interview people that have a year or more of experience and want to switch into EM. For instance, they have taken people that have done several years of a surgical residency, they have taken an anesthesiology attending who wanted to then do EM....they have many options to fill those spots over the next year.

That's a great point, however the spots from Mississippi were the "R" coded spots which are for physicians coming in as 2nd years in 2004....whether from the military, another residency, etc.

"A" coded spots are PGY-2 spots in 2005, and "C" spots are PGY-1 in 2004.

I wonder if these 3 spots from Jackson were actually unmatched or if they were tagged for specific people outside of the match?

Originally posted by cg1155
This info is interesting, because I ranked ECU 4th, so I know I can't have gone farther down my list than that. Cool.

C

Assuming they ranked you. I'm sure you are an excellent candidate and were ranked highly by everyone you interviewed at, but it is still something to keep in mind.

Wow. We didn't match so good. Hm.

I can only hope we get some quality candidates.

In advance, no, I don't know what happened to us. I wasn't privy to the ranking list process. If I find out, I'll let people know.

As of this morning at 11:30 this is the current list from NRMP. I think that probably some of the programs aren't updating (especially because one of the other posters said he had gotten a spot at Mississippi and they still have the same number of openings)

Emergency Medicine

Martin L King Jr/Drew-CA
14 11

6 3

Newark Beth Israel-NJ
7 4

Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
12 10

Originally posted by cg1155

C
Since you are the most anal member of the forum, I thought I'd give you something to chew on tonight. Its possible that you matched waaaaaaay down your list AND that this program didn't fill....its called they didn't rank you at all cause they'd rather scramble than have you.

(I'm just taunting you of course, but it is POSSIBLE.)

Ok, points well taken.

anyone remember the number of slots open last year? Is this an improvement?

I hope so, one must take into account that each year there's a least a new program opening further diluting the pool of applicants.

Originally posted by mountebank
anyone remember the number of slots open last year? Is this an improvement?

I hope so, one must take into account that each year there's a least a new program opening further diluting the pool of applicants.

Just glancing at it, it looks like a better match than lasts year in the # of open spots remaining. There was around 40 last year, and around 9-10 in general surgery. (WTF?)

mike

What do you guys consider to be a good match? as far as im concerned, the more spots that went unfilled the better. I will be applying soon and im hoping that it will be a little easier for me then.

Originally posted by Halaljello
What do you guys consider to be a good match? as far as im concerned, the more spots that went unfilled the better. I will be applying soon and im hoping that it will be a little easier for me then.

Well, yes, from an applicant stress point of view, the more unmatched, the "easier" the match that year, but from the specialty succeeding point of view, am happier to see that it was a "harder" match, ie, most spots filled.

mike

Pardon me for being ignorant (only MSII), but do all of these numbers mean that EM is highly competitive this year?

Stands to reason thatnearly every program filled. That's a bit different from some numbers that I have seen in the past few years...although EM was still competitive.

Where can you go an access this sort of information and data?

Is there data on telling you how many students didn't match?

Thanks