General Unofficial vs. Official Transcripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering when unofficial transcripts are used instead of official transcripts? This isn't only about applying to med school, as I imagine you've had to use your transcript in another scenario. Using the official transcript all the time would be best, no?
Anything of importance will likely require an official transcript...for example, transfer to a different university, applying to a professional school, or licensing for your profession.

Unofficial transcripts are usually for you and only you. Sometimes employers will accept an unofficial transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

So when I'm importing my coursework into the AMCAS application, it should be identical to the Official Transcript? My unofficial and official transcripts are slightly different, so I just want to make sure I'm copying the correct one.
Yes, make it identical to the one you are sending to them...which is the official one.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school implemented a new policy for this year only. Basically you can drop a class up until the last day of the semester and it won't go on the official transcript....essentially the W is never seen
Interesting. That's a pretty good deal. On AAMC they will be looking at your official transcripts that the school will send them.

"AMCAS recommends that you use a personal copy of your official transcript(s) as a reference while entering your coursework in the application. A readily available copy of your official transcript will help ensure that your coursework information is complete and accurate. Some information that appears on your official transcript may not appear on an unofficial transcript. Entering incorrect information (e.g., omitting coursework, grades, and/or credits or supplying incorrect grades) may affect your AMCAS GPAs and could result in delayed processing and even missed deadlines"

This is straight from AAMC website.

Thank you. I guess I just get very pessimistic (and paranoid for that matter), and don't want things to come back and bite me in the butt.
It sucks. But the community as a whole really appreciates and expects full transparency. So just follow the AAMC direction as listed. You will be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.