1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Unresponsive professor, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kamandsam, Dec 15, 2008.

1. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    So my TA for physical chemistry lost two of my assignments. When I realized I had to zeros I presented the issue to the TA. She then assured me that I to compensate, they would not count those assignments. Today my professor posted my grade with two big zeros for the homework and I got a C+ as a result for my final grade. If the homework was not counted, as was said, I would receive a B+. The TA says that the grades are in the hands of the professor and that the professor knows about the homework issue. I have repeatedly emailed the professor to no avail. What should I do?!?!

Thank you.

2. mx41

5+ Year Member

I would definitely email the TA and ask her/him to confront the problem with the professor, rather than you sending emails to the professor. Some professors don't really care about student inquiries after grades were posted, but if a TA brought up the case to your professor, there's a good chance that something can be done. It was your TA's mistake, and you shouldn't suffer for it.

3. AlwaysImproving

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You can go see the professor in person during office hours. Just find out when he has office hours and explain what happened :D

I am sure you already know this, but be courteous :D

4. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yeah about the same thing happened to me this semester in engineering physics. i am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad. apparently the grader either lost or didn't bother to grade two of my homework assignments. and you know how laborious engineering physics homework is. i spent hours on that stuff.

i emailed the teacher today and he emailed me back. he said he took the two zeroes off until the grader hands in the homework. it raised my grade from like 89% to 94%. yeah.

i pay 900 or so a class and that is how i get treated.

5. xhamburgersamx

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Contact your professor in person, he might be on vacation if he's really being unresponsive. If you still can't reach him, ask the dept. head or secretaries or your major advisor, they should be able to reach him.

6. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    thanks for the advice e so far. Unfortunately the TA is not so helpful bit I will try her. The term is over so there aren't any scheduled office hours. I also pay way to much money. Hmm...

7. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Some people you just have to motivate. Try finding the professor, TA or if worse comes to worse, ask the chair what to do.

I've realized that some people just need motivations and talking to their boss can do that

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Definitely need some motivation. Is there a time limit in which grade changes have to be made? The break is approaching very quickly.

9. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thats all you pay per class?? I paid like 700 per credit. It was like 2100 per class and 2800 for a four credit course.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    You're not suppose to pay for grade inflation!

11. klutzy1987

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Oh no thats free with the expensive tuition lol. J/K. There was no grade inflation. You got what you deserved. Believe me there are plenty of GPA's in the 2's. If you worked hard then you did well. There were no curves in my classes so whatever grade you deserved you got. The class average in all of my chemistries was like a C-/D+ (66). That crazy bastard professor actually failed nearly 3/4 of his class once. Trust me in most courses there is no inflation. As in every school certain professors are known to be easy and certain are known as difficult.

#11 klutzy1987, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  12. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think that many schools may be moving away from using curves as bgrade inflation is becoming a huge problem. My chemistry dept. Has very strict rules about grades and most classes that are predental are not curved.

13. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    It is less a question of having an "unresponsive professor" and more of dealing with one whose response was not to your satisfaction.

14. rollredroll

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would seek out the Prof in person. Wait outside her/his office, find out where this person takes coffee, etc. Much tougher to shrug you off or overlook your situation in person. Good luck!

15. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm currently waiting outside her office. We will see what happens.

16. makers

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Creepy.

17. klutzy1987

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Knife to the back. Cut the prof open. Fillet her like a fish.
    j/k
    Good luck

18. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well, it all turned out pretty well. I got my grade raised to a B. Not too terrible.

19. eldirty

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    good work ... congrats ...

20. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sounds like you misjudged your professor.

21. rockets1

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thats a relief! Going from a C to a B is HUGE! Good job!

22. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Thank you. Im pretty happy.