Unsuitable Living Conditions at Ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got accepted to ross but I am considering not going there because of the way the living conditions are down there. I wanted to know from students attending Ross if the daily living conditions are such that make life and studying uncomfortable and stressful. Does electricity go out for days and is there trouble with finding clean water and food?
What about the people on campus are they friendly?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Those are things to think and ask about BEFORE applying...lol

I have the same concern...I have not gotten in yet...but I am really looking at Ross because of the tuition and the short amount of time you have to spend on the island.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are a girl, a weak male or have a weak immune system then I do not see why a person who has no other choice but Ross would be worried about living conditions that thousands have endured successfully over the last 25+ years.

what's wrong with being a girl on dominica? o_O

i'm female and i don't see any obstacles here for females.

what's wrong with being a girl on dominica? o_O

i'm female and i don't see any obstacles here for females.

Nothing wrong with being a female who can take care of herself, but some females (and males) who cannot have a valid excuse when it comes to living by themselves in a diferent country.

Nothing wrong with being a female who can take care of herself, but some females (and males) who cannot have a valid excuse when it comes to living by themselves in a diferent country.

oh... ok. :p

yeah. i call those people 'fish bait'. in any case, if you use common sense (like not waking in the dark or down alleys by yourself) then you should live to graduate.

Glad you got accepted, but I wouldn't think that the living conditions would make alot of diffenence, as would the Price. Anyway, remember you are in a 3rd world country, it's not home. I had no trouble with the living conditions, If you want cheap, you get cheap-- because their is cheap living worse then any slum you can find in the USA. But there are real nice apt. and if your lucky houses. When I first got down there I stayed in a real nice house with a couple. Later when other students move out I got a real nice apt complex. So daily living conditions and studying for me was excellent, besides most student get up in the morning "study", go to class, either go to the library and study or go back to the apt/home and "study" until is bed time. I did this 5 days aweek. Sat & Sun I study - play soccer -and study again,(there is so much information you don't want to get behind). I never had any trouble with the electricity, but don't drink the water, either drink bottle water or the cooler water from the school. Food in the store I thought was expensive, but there is no Wal-Mart. The people on campus............few I thought were friendly, most would probablely stab you in the back to get ahead. But where ever you choice, remember your their because you want to be a Doctor.

No matter where you choice to go, Its durable,.. fine some good out of the bad times.....enjoy your stay......... time will pass faster then you think

good luck

Thank you for your reply.Do you know any good and safe places to live that are close to campus. I would want to live with other female roomates.

Thank you for your reply.Do you know any good and safe places to live that are close to campus. I would want to live with other female roomates.

www.ValueMd.com Ross Forum,

please, this is not a good website for that kinda info..............................................

I stayed at McLawrence appartments. It's right across the street from PBH hotel (I think it's a different name now). The Land Lady is Mrs. McLarence. My info is of 2004, but back then it was quite nice $500 per month single (basically studio with the kitchen) or you could share with the roommate for the same price each two separate rooms with your own bathroom and a shower, and common kitchen dining area. Utilities are separate, and if you want to study at home it'll cost you for the AC and other electricity. The place is about 5 minutes walk from the main gate. You can get lots of other places cheaper and much farther away walking up or downhill. But when it rains (and it does about every half hour) there is dirt and mud all over. So I'll stay close to the main road. Hope it helps.

I'm at Thelma McLawrence apartments as well and I love it! I have a roommate and we have a gorgeous apartment, but it is a little expensive, we are both paying $750 each but that includes everything except electricity...which neither of us really use that much. I have a little baby fan in my room or I just open the window so I don't need to turn on the A/C as much. The view, the beach, and the school is beautiful. I also really like going to med school at Ross, the professors are really good and I love how all the lectures are taped and you can speed it up. But truth be told I am SCARED about the next midterm! I have so much stuff to cover!

oh... ok. :p

yeah. i call those people 'fish bait'. in any case, if you use common sense (like not waking in the dark or down alleys by yourself) then you should live to graduate.

This "fish bait" are usually the students that make the high attrition rate. They usually leave by the first month....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at Thelma McLawrence apartments as well and I love it! I have a roommate and we have a gorgeous apartment, but it is a little expensive, we are both paying $750 each but that includes everything except electricity...which neither of us really use that much. I have a little baby fan in my room or I just open the window so I don't need to turn on the A/C as much. The view, the beach, and the school is beautiful. I also really like going to med school at Ross, the professors are really good and I love how all the lectures are taped and you can speed it up. But truth be told I am SCARED about the next midterm! I have so much stuff to cover!

Good to hear from fellow Rossie (though I'm an ex one). So, $750 a piece, eh? No TV, no phone, no internet (for us there wasn't). She is really jacking it up. :rolleyes: But her luandry service was one of the best ones. I know ppl from all around used to bring their stuff for washing. Boy, that's another 15-20 EC per week or so. But it was nice. First I stayed in #7 appt with a rommate, then when my wife and a daughter were about to visit, the single one #2 opened up and i grabbed it ;) Hey, I hope there are no more mega erthquakes anymore. I lived through 6.4 magnitude, and now when I feel some shaking or something unstable under my feet I need a diaper change :smuggrin: .All the corners in that appartment were cracked up from that quake (if I remeber correctly on November 21, 2004 :scared: ) Oh, I miss my afternoon swims. I used to swim from PBH to "Coconuts" and back like 3 times round trip. Oh well, if I don't get in U.S (which I will) ROSS is not off the table for me once again.

Good Luck :luck:

We have TV, phone, internet, cable, tv, microwave, fridge, coffemaker, toaster, twice weekly maid service all included in rent. Laundry service is great but you have to pay for it, but 15 EC is nothing when you spend more than that on dinner sometimes. The kitchen cutlery was also included. It is a 2 bed 2 bath apt and very quiet, there are no loud parties tolerated. It is a pimped out place but very expensive...but worth it and close to campus plus there is Picard grocery right next door.

We have TV, phone, internet, cable, tv, microwave, fridge, coffemaker, toaster, twice weekly maid service all included in rent. Laundry service is great but you have to pay for it, but 15 EC is nothing when you spend more than that on dinner sometimes. The kitchen cutlery was also included. It is a 2 bed 2 bath apt and very quiet, there are no loud parties tolerated. It is a pimped out place but very expensive...but worth it and close to campus plus there is Picard grocery right next door.

Yeah, I guess she improved the place. Then I'll agree with the 50% rent increase.:rolleyes: It was good but very, very basic. We split the landline cost and had DSL with router for like 4-5 appartments ;) TV? Where is the time for it. Sometimes I watched it at PBH Cafe before a swim, or with the nice drink. I think they also used to have flat screen plasma TV in SGA room, and there was one in the GYM.
Anyway, good luck on your mini. Watch out for Dr. Meisenberg, Groagan, and Kali. They could get you j/k :laugh:

Oh maaan. Yeah I am scared. I am not behind in any of my classes, which is suprising for me, but even being on top of things, I am sure I am gonna mess up the mini somehow so I'm preparing hardcore. I don't wanna just cruise by on a C average...or worse, fail.

this is a childish and random question but b-ball is my outlet: Are there any basketball courts in the Carribbean med. schools?

Yeah there is a basketball and tennis court right in front of the library at Ross (right when you walk in the main gate). There is also a soccer field and tons of activities on campus all the time. There are also basketball and soccer games every week and each of the classes play against each other I think.

thanks, I really appreciate the info and the fast response

Unless you are a girl, a weak male or have a weak immune system then I do not see why a person who has no other choice but Ross would be worried about living conditions that thousands have endured successfully over the last 25+ years.

Umm... I'm a girl, and I don't think I'll have a problem with the living conditions at Ross. Maybe I'm just stronger than most of the girls you know. :p

Honestly, I do not know how people at Ross even find time to whine considering all the hours of studying we have to do every day. I am so busy I forget that I am in Dominica for the majority of the week until I step out to get groceries. I love it here and I get everything I want and need, albeit it is expensive and you have to be patient. Of course, it also doesn't hurt that I have a hot boyfriend =)

In response to "pretty-doc"...Dominica does not have to be expensive (I paid 300$ for rent one semester and 650$ another). It just depends on your preferences. Also, you DO have time to enjoy the island. Of course there are those people who "hole" themselves up and never explore the magical island...but as most of us who have left Ross will say- that is a shame. And my friends who did just as I described have all said they wish they had done at least one hike into the rainforest. I recommend getting involved in Salybia Mission Project...this way you get to see a little of the island and experience another culture, as well as get a jumpstart at interviewing and examining patients. Also, one more thing...when you grocery shop in Dominica, make the extra step and go to Tina's...she is the nice one in the family!

I have a few more questions about the living conditions at Ross.

Is there a gym or pool there to work out at?

How do you make phone calls back to the US? Is there some plan that you can place cell phone calls back to the US on a daily basis or do you guys basically stop all communication back to the US?

How long are the holidays/breaks? I was told that the only real opportunity we'd have to go back to the states was after each 4 months and that the duration would be about 2 weeks. Is that right? Or is it more like a 1 week duration?

Lastly, to those who have already been to Ross, if you had to make that same decision again, would you choose the same? Would you choose the Carribean or try to do whatever you could to get into a med school in the US? I am currently in the first year of a post-bacc at Drexel and am contemplating whether to quit the program and just finish up the first year of med school at Ross, or just stick it out for the possibility of maybe getting in for 2008.

If you choose to do the Carribean again, would you choose Ross or another school?

if one does have a weak immune system, should they really consider not going to the caribbean? is the water unsafe? please expand.

i meant the living conditions. working in healthcare is not a risk to someone with a weak immune system as long as the proper precautions are taken. living conditions in a foreign country can be very different as far as cleanliness, microorganisms, water, food, etc....

i meant the living conditions. working in healthcare is not a risk to someone with a weak immune system as long as the proper precautions are taken. living conditions in a foreign country can be very different as far as cleanliness, microorganisms, water, food, etc....

You are a typical premed...

Let me repeat again...your local hospital is more dangerous to an immunocompromised person.....than a foreign country..

I think it is best you get "out of the box" and go visit a few countries outside your own. That is really the best way you will learn. Dont go by what you read on a forum from your cozy home.

Before you come to Ross, you will need to be up to date with your immunizations such as hep a, hep b, tetanus, etc. I went beyond and visited a travel clinic to get extra shots such as typhoid fever vaccine, etc. I have not gotten sick here from either the food or water, and luckily I have not had diarrhea yet, but I'm really careful about what I eat.

Im a small girl and survived Ross with no incidents... nor did any of my friends have any incidents. Just dont wander around drunk by yourself in the middle of the night...Nothing to prevent you from going there.