Unsure of how to proceed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation: 5 interviews (Harvard, NYU, UC Irvine, NYMC, Tufts) with no more scheduled. I've been waitlisted by UCI and Tufts (active consideration, which I assume is similar to waitlist) and have yet to hear from the rest.

I think I'm a bad fit for multiple reasons for NYMC and therefore want to withdraw, but know that doing so is risky. It could result in my having to reapply next year since I might get rejected by Harvard, NYU, UCI, and Tufts, and I'm probably not going to get many more interviews, if any.

It is because I realize that getting a seat in any medical school is a rare privilege that I am having reservations about withdrawing and am asking your opinions about it. But it is tough for anyone to sign themselves up for a situation where they think they will be unhappy for 4 years of their mid-20s.

Here's the info on my application, if it helps: 39T MCAT, 3.5 science GPA with upward trend, 3.6 overall GPA, graduated from a prestigious undergrad, and am not a URM. A lot of research experience but no publications, good leadership and involvement in other random clubs. 1 strong LOR, 2 LORs which I suspect were probably just ok. The weakness in my application is clinical experience. I have 100 hours of shadowing (not last-minute) and 75 hours of last-minute volunteering which I have not continued. Working full-time doing research right now. Have some new clinical experience which will go into my update letters.

So to summarize, I want to end up somewhere I would be happy, even if I have to reapply. That means I might have to drop NYMC, but I am scared to do so because I know that I might not get any other acceptances this cycle and my fortunes may not be so good next cycle. Yet I don't want to end up with it being my only acceptance and having to go somewhere I don't like. What do you guys think I should do? Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't NEED to withdraw, man. Just wait and see if you get accepted somewhere. If not, reapply.

Next time apply more broadly!

If you are god damn POSITIVE that you will not be attending NYMC even as a last resort, drop it and free a possible spot for somebody. If you have ANY reservations whatsoever, keep it.

Members don't see this ad :)
man, that's a tough situation. i've heard that schools don't look favorably upon people rejecting schools and applying again next year. try sending some strong LOIs to avoid this mess

man, that's a tough situation. i've heard that schools don't look favorably upon people rejecting schools and applying again next year. try sending some strong LOIs to avoid this mess
You mean rejecting acceptances right?

The reason I want to withdraw now is to withdraw before they decide on me. That way I can avoid having to decline an acceptance, which I've heard is VERY risky.

You do NOT want to decline an acceptance. If you are absolutely sure that you would not attend that school if accepted, even if you get no other acceptances this year, then go ahead and withdraw. It does leave you with the risk of having to repeat the process next year, but I'm sure you're fully aware of that.

How well I can expect to fare if I apply again next year? By the time it comes time to apply again, I can't add a huge amount of clinical experience because I'm already working a full-time job. However, I can add a decent amount (maybe 75 hours' worth of hospital volunteering). I can probably also add an additional LOR and possibly a publication from my research at my current job. Weighing me down will be the reapplicant stigma.

How well I can expect to fare if I apply again next year? By the time it comes time to apply again, I can't add a huge amount of clinical experience because I'm already working a full-time job. However, I can add a decent amount (maybe 75 hours' worth of hospital volunteering). I can probably also add an additional LOR and possibly a publication from my research at my current job. Weighing me down will be the reapplicant stigma.

There's a whole less stigma attached to being a reapplicant than there is to turning down an acceptance and then not attending anywhere that year.

Improved volunteer time = +. Further research time =+. Another LOR that you are certain is GOOD = +. The greatest positive about the volunteer time is not additional hours as much as it is additional duration. That shows a commitment to volunteerism. The stigma of being a reapp is not that bad if you have used the year well.

The tradeoff between the possibility of doing the reapp bit and your apprehension about POSSIBLY attending NYMC, is something only you can determine. Since you haven't heard from the other places yet, nothing is certain. How many of those schools do not have rolling admissions? You can't expect to hear from those until they inform everyone they have interviewed.

If you were to withdraw from NYMC... and if you don't get accepted to any of your other schools and end up reapplying you should probably come up with a pretty strong clinical experience that you will be putting a lot of time into during your gap year. You could then use the experiences you are including in your update letter as well as the gap year activity for your reapplicant essays. I would try to find something more than just hospital volunteering, though - maybe a free clinic, planned parenthood, I don't know - something where you can show that you got really involved. Also, make sure that you've got strong letters - it is okay to ask your writers if they feel they can write you a STRONG letter emphasizing x, y, and z, rather than just asking them to write you a letter. If they can't say yes to your question, they shouldn't be writing you a letter. Then apply more broadly and early...

Anyhoo, I hope that you do get accepted this year to one of the schools that you felt was a good fit. Good luck!

I would say think hard about reasons for not going to NY. Most people can find their niche in any city (especially a large one like NY) and a good chunk of your time will be spent studying.

Why not talk to some students at NYMC and raise the issues that you think will make you unhappy? Since you are not a med student at present, it would be difficult for you to envision what living and studying there would be like. The process of reapplying is tedious and costly. Bored_student suggests that maybe medicine and the long, hard road is not where your heart is.

considering the fact that you have yet to gain a single acceptance, it might be a good idea to cool it for a while. First of all, judging by your other posts, you seem kind of preoccupied with how "prestigious" a school is. I am a MS2 at NYMC, and the reality is, med school is what you make of it, and how well you do in residency matching is directly proportional to how much effort you put in. 90% of your time in med school will be spent studying, so being overly choosy about location is really pointless. If there is an overt reason as to why a med school is a horrible fit for you, it should become apparent when you are crafting your list of schools to apply to. Why would you bother spending the time and money applying to, and interviewing at a school that you absolutely despise? It seems to me that the reason you don't like NYMC is that it is not prestigious enough for you. If you are accepted there (IF), and nowhere else, what makes you think you belong at another school? You applied pretty broadly, got five interviews, and if you only get one acceptance (which many people here would kill for, by the way) why would you think that you are entitled to a "better" acceptance? It sends up some red flags...how badly do you want to practice medicine? And what are your true priorities? Don't forget, you get to do your picking and choosing while you are picking the schools to apply to. After you submit your applications, the ball in in the medical schools' courts. They are looking at YOU to determine if they want to offer you admission...humility is important part of this process and if you behave as if you are "interviewing" the school, they very well might sense this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not talk to some students at NYMC and raise the issues that you think will make you unhappy? Since you are not a med student at present, it would be difficult for you to envision what living and studying there would be like. The process of reapplying is tedious and costly. Bored_student suggests that maybe medicine and the long, hard road is not where your heart is.

I second MDMAMA here, I think you need to think real hard about this. Talk to some current students there and look at past nymc class threads in the allo forum and figure out if it is worth withdrawing. NYMC is a great school for some, not for others, but nobody can simply tell you whether to withdrawl or not. Weigh what it is you are really out to do, what you are really looking for in a school and what you are expecting to get out of your education.

Is is really worth it to withdrawl? You would have to delay a year, pay all of those fees again, go through all this anxiety again, wade through the AMCAS and all the secondaries again. And there is still the uncertainty (and possibility) that you will be rejected a second time. As you mentioned, you won't be able to improve your app significantly. You'd have almost the same credentials and same numbers = probably rejected again. If I were in your shoes, I would not withdrawl. You would be taking a pretty big gamble that could turn out way worse than not getting into harvard. Would attending NYMC in Westchester be that bad? 90% of medical school is the same anywhere.

I didn't mean to sound like I'm saving myself for Harvard. I agree that to do so is, at the least, taking a stupendous risk, and at the most, also being arrogant.

I think I am being honest with myself when I say the reason I am considering withdrawing is specific to NYMC. There were definite things I liked about NYMC, but it did seem like a high stress atmosphere where there isn't much to do but study. Obviously, all med schools are probably high stress, but it seemed a little more true of NYMC. That's exactly what I don't want out of a med school, especially since I have kind of a stress-prone personality as it is. So what I'm trying to do is, if possible, save myself for a school where I feel like I can best keep myself sane.

Maybe I'm wrong about NYMC. If so, please let me know. Or maybe looking for a low-stress med school is just too much to ask. If either is the case, I'd happily keep my application in consideration.

I didn't mean to sound like I'm saving myself for Harvard. I agree that to do so is, at the least, taking a stupendous risk, and at the most, also being arrogant.

I think I am being honest with myself when I say the reason I am considering withdrawing is specific to NYMC. There were definite things I liked about NYMC, but it did seem like a high stress atmosphere where there isn't much to do but study. Obviously, all med schools are probably high stress, but it seemed a little more true of NYMC. That's exactly what I don't want out of a med school, especially since I have kind of a stress-prone personality as it is. So what I'm trying to do is, if possible, save myself for a school where I feel like I can best keep myself sane.

Maybe I'm wrong about NYMC. If so, please let me know. Or maybe looking for a low-stress med school is just too much to ask. If either is the case, I'd happily keep my application in consideration.

Um, I don't know of that many low-stress med schools. I doubt very many applicants anticipate a fun-filled, relaxed med school environment where you read a few hours a day, watch some tv, stroll the campus, etc. When I think med school I envision studying, tests, hard work, and more studying. Yes the atmosphere matters; i.e. one that is friendly, attentive to student's needs, etc. But if you're looking for a med school in which people take it easy all day you're dreaming. This goes for Harvard and NYMC alike.

By low-stress atmosphere, I did mean:
- administration is attentive to the students
- relatively uncompetitive (H/P/F or P/F curriculum preferable)
- good camaraderie amongst the students

A few schools I've heard of being low-stress in this manner are: Yale, Northwestern, Mt. Sinai, UCI, Tufts, USC. And I'm sure there are more...

Find a hobby. Hang out with friends. Do something to get your mind off things. Sometimes (maybe the case here) the best move is no move at all until you know more ... a lot more. For all you know you might get accepted several places. Now is not the time to do anything as far as I can tell (except fun stuff, perhaps). THINK POSITIVE.:luck::)

How well I can expect to fare if I apply again next year?
No one can tell you that, except that odds are it will be more competitive than this year. That's been the trend lately.
By the time it comes time to apply again, I can't add a huge amount of clinical experience because I'm already working a full-time job. However, I can add a decent amount (maybe 75 hours' worth of hospital volunteering).
Full-time job is no excuse for lack of clinical experience (which definitely seems to be the weak part of your file). In one year, you can only spare 1.5 hours per week for clinical experience? That's pretty weak. Most folks are able to manage an 8 hour shift each week on top of a full-time job, assuming they don't have the MCAT to contend with.

Focus more on volunteering. Don't sweat the research. Very few folks get denied admission to med school because of lack of research, but a whole lot of folks get turned down for the lack of clinical volunteering.

And don't sweat the reapplicant "stigma". It's a much bigger deal on SDN than among adcoms. Just buff up your app and cast the net a lot wider next time.

What I realized last year was that the interview day, though informative, sometimes does not give you an accurate representation of the school. Besides you being stressed because you are trying to sell yourself to them, the school in a lesser extent is trying to sell itself to you. If the only problem you have is the stress level, I agree with others and see if you can contact a few current med students. You might have just seen the few students that are hyper competitive and stressed all the time, but that might not be indicative of the student body as a whole. Also remember that the previous years' first years are not the same people that you will be with and so you could have a completely different makeup. Besides talking with first years try seeing if you could contact some second years and ask about their class dynamics to get the perspective of a different class.

I actually got the 75 hour figure from January to June at 4 hours per week (which would actually be more like 80) since I want to reapply before my MCAT expires.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement so far, everyone.

First of all, there is not a single medical school in this country where you will be able to "hang out" and relax. Med school is, by definition, extremely stressful. I am a second year and I will tell you that I spend about 4-5 hours per school day studying, and I spend most of Sat and Sun studying. I tend to take an hour or two here and there for exercise and TV unwinding. I also take the weekend after a round of exams off to hang out with friends or go into the city. But, NYMC students work extremely hard and the school is very diligent about training really good doctors. By the time you reach medical school, you should be an ADULT. You should know how to manage your own time, devise your own study techniques, and seek out help when you need it. If you expect there to be people standing around waiting to hold your hand and spoon feed you the material, you will be hard pressed to find that in medical school. It sounds to me like you are expecting a lot of coddling and guidance, and that is not compatible with a high quality medical education. Maybe you need to take some time off and reevaluate your career choice...or at least grow up a little bit. I am not saying this to be nasty, I am just warning you that maintaining your sanity in med school when you enter with the unrealistic expectations that you seem to have is going to be very difficult. You seem to be rating medical schools based on the social life you think you will be experiencing. If you were really prepared for the rigors of medical school, and truly dedicated to becoming a good doctor, you would be happy to have an acceptance at a high quality medical school. If NYMC doesn't care about its students, how do you explain our top notch board scores and match list? We are getting an excellent medical education at NYMC, and you would be a fool to dump them when you don't even have single acceptance. In fact, judging by your immaturity, I would say there is a good chance that they will make your decision for you and you won't have to worry about enduring the "stresses" of med school in the near future.

By low-stress atmosphere, I did mean:
- administration is attentive to the students
- relatively uncompetitive (H/P/F or P/F curriculum preferable)
- good camaraderie amongst the students

A few schools I've heard of being low-stress in this manner are: Yale, Northwestern, Mt. Sinai, UCI, Tufts, USC. And I'm sure there are more...

PS.

You are always being ranked, compared, tested, and evaluated. This goes for medical school, residency, and medical practice. That is the nature of this profession. Every single medical school in this country RANKS its students one by one. Just because they say the curriculum is P/F does not mean anything! They are still ranking each student. The grading or H/HP/P/F systems are just more straight forward about it. It is important to make friends in med school and have people to confide in...but lets face it...every single student in every single medical school fought, and clawed, and competed their way into their spot in the class. What on earth makes you think that they can all just suddenly turn that off? If you want the type of comaraderie where everyone roots for everyone else and no one competes, I suggest you join a bowling league.

Fever106, I think you are attributing things to me that I did not say. I said nothing about expecting medical school to be a party. Perhaps "low-stress" is a poor term for me to use since I actually agree with you that med school is inherently stressful. What I meant is that I am looking for features in a med school that minimize this stress. I said very clearly in a previous post the kind of things I think would help to do this (grading system, responsive administration, etc.). I also wrote in a previous post that all med schools are probably high stress, but that from my interview day experience, it seemed a little more true of NYMC. I also asked for someone to correct me on that if I was wrong.

I agree that NYMC students are hardworking and that the match list and board scores are great (these are among the "definite things" I liked about NYMC that I mentioned previously). My question about NYMC is one of the stressfulness of the education to be had there and whether it would adversely affect me enough to make it worthwhile to withdraw and possibly reapply. You'll find no attack on the quality of NYMC's education from me.

Your saying you're not being nasty does not automatically make calling me immature, telling me to grow up, and implying that I won't be getting in in the near future not nasty.

If there are any NYMCers around willing to chime in about how stressful or not stressful NYMC is, please do. Things I'm wondering about include the H/HP/P/F grading and class time. Thanks!

If NYMC doesn't care about its students, how do you explain our top notch board scores and match list? We are getting an excellent medical education at NYMC, and you would be a fool to dump them when you don't even have single acceptance. In fact, judging by your immaturity, I would say there is a good chance that they will make your decision for you and you won't have to worry about enduring the "stresses" of med school in the near future.
Chill, fever106. The OP isn't a fan of your med school. It's no reason to assume the person isn't going to make a good doctor, needs to re-evaluate his career choice, etc.

Some schools have a reputation for having a lot of stressed out individuals (UCSD comes to mind). Maybe the reputation is earned, maybe it's not. But if I went and toured a school I didn't know much about and everyone seemed like a basket-case stress puppy, and if I were stress-prone like the OP, it would probably leave a bad feeling about the school to me as well.

Why do so many students take any comments about their med school so personally? The OP never criticized NYMC, he just said it wasn't a good fit for him. And your jumping down his throat saying he should re-evaluate his career and probably won't get accepted anywhere because of his attitude seems kind of.... high stress. Just a thought.

PS.

You are always being ranked, compared, tested, and evaluated. This goes for medical school, residency, and medical practice. That is the nature of this profession. Every single medical school in this country RANKS its students one by one. Just because they say the curriculum is P/F does not mean anything! They are still ranking each student. The grading or H/HP/P/F systems are just more straight forward about it. It is important to make friends in med school and have people to confide in...but lets face it...every single student in every single medical school fought, and clawed, and competed their way into their spot in the class. What on earth makes you think that they can all just suddenly turn that off? If you want the type of comaraderie where everyone roots for everyone else and no one competes, I suggest you join a bowling league.

I never said I wanted the type of camaraderie where everyone roots for everyone else and competition doesn't exist. You are blowing what I am asking about out of proportion.

Wouldn't you agree that P/F + class ranking is a little less stressful than H/HP/P/F + class ranking?

Every single medical school in this country RANKS its students one by one. Just because they say the curriculum is P/F does not mean anything! They are still ranking each student.
Not true. Though some medical schools rank students from day one (I don't care for this practice personally), there are P/F med schools do not rank students at all. There are a lot of schools (and more each year) that are P/F and do not rank students for the first two years, only beginning ranking based on their Step 1's and clnicial rotation marks.

why are we all getting energized about this? he hasn't gotten in to NYMC, and may not. i just got accepted there and i'm pretty happy about it. fever106 has provided a lot of great info about the school that have cleared up any doubts i had about it.

THE OP HASN'T BEEN ACCEPTED. why feed into his false angst about something he doesn't have? very self-absorbed and we are enabling him.

plus, who in their right mind would reapply if they don't have to!!!?????

It is important to make friends in med school and have people to confide in...but lets face it...every single student in every single medical school fought, and clawed, and competed their way into their spot in the class. What on earth makes you think that they can all just suddenly turn that off? If you want the type of comaraderie where everyone roots for everyone else and no one competes, I suggest you join a bowling league.
Or a different medical school. Some schools have hyper-competitive atmospheres. Students keeping study aids away from others. Students hiding reference manuals in the libraries. Etc.

Other medical schools are very collaborative. P/F schools without ranking, for instance, encourages students to help each other. Those that rank based on years 3/4 aren't that competitive because by some yardsticks you're really just competing against yourself.

For the OP (and any other pre-meds out there), the fighting/clawing/competing motif that fever106 is describing is not the norm at all medical schools. If that's the way it really works at NYMC, I'm sure it's perfect for some people, but it would drive many of us nuts. There are med schools out there that don't have that mentality. If less fighting/competition and more collaboration is important to you, there are many med schools at which its valued.

Wouldn't you agree that P/F + class ranking is a little less stressful than H/HP/P/F + class ranking?
That's pretty debatable, actually. I attend a pass/no pass school and love it. Everyone works hard to do their best, but it is nice walking into a final and knowing if you have a bad day, it won't affect your grade.

But some folks at A/B/C/D/F schools like it as well. It's a matter of personal taste.

Do keep in mind that some schools that are P/F still use your percentages to determine your class rank. This will create a level of competition that is not as prevalent at true P/F schools that do not have rank.

why are we all getting energized about this? he hasn't gotten in to NYMC, and may not. i just got accepted there and i'm pretty happy about it. fever106 has provided a lot of great info about the school that have cleared up any doubts i had about it.
Congrats on your acceptance! Glad you're happy with the school. I want to learn more about it because after fever106's comments, i'm worried I'll walk away with an impression of cut-throat competition that it may not have.
THE OP HASN'T BEEN ACCEPTED. why feed into his false angst about something he doesn't have? very self-absorbed and we are enabling him.
Meh, the only thing the OP did wrong was say a med school wasn't for him, which got everyone hot and bothered. I think his concerns are valid. I think its silly that folks on SDN think you have this moral obligation to attend any med school that takes you even if you have a negative impression of the place.
If you have good stats and are confident you'll get in on reapplication, it's not such a bad call. You need brass cojones and I'd probably settle, but if your app is a strong one then I see no problem reapplying with a wider net rather than going to a med school you don't think you'll like.

Again, I wouldn't, because I'm not a gambler by nature. But if you know the risks and have the confidence, there's no sin in going for it.

Thank you Lemon Tree. I am glad that I have provided you with info that you found useful. I fully understand that NYMC is not a good fit for many people. The only point I was trying to make was that he applied there, interviewed there, and now, without a single acceptance, is asking whether he should withdraw and go through the whole process all over again. There are so many factors to look into when applying and choosing (if you have the luxury) a medical school, and so many people on this web site would kill for one single acceptance. It seems crazy to me that this person is writing off a school that has not even accepted him because he does not like the grading system. I think you put it better than I possibly could Lemon Tree.

Fever106, if you were really trying to warn me about how risky it would be to withdraw, then yes you would've been being reasonable. But I think we can all see that I asked a reasonable question, which I tried to word as sensitively as possible. Because I dared to suggest that there was something I might not like about your med school, you decided to respond with personal attacks. Also, somewhere along the line, LemonTree decided I was self-absorbed.

You've tried to trivialize my question many times by suggesting I was looking for a med school where I'd have to do no work at all or by suggesting that I am considering turning down NYMC because of prestige. If you re-read my posts, I think you can see that I am asking something much more reasonable.

Finally, I wasn't writing off NYMC based only on grading scale. I started this thread to help me DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT to write off NYMC based on its stressfulness (of which grading scale is just one contributor). After all, there were things (which I hint at in earlier posts) that I liked about NYMC as well.

Notdeadyet, thanks for sticking up for me and thanks to everyone who gave me helpful comments.

Again, if any NYMCers are willing to chime in about whether or not NYMC is a stressful place to learn medicine, then please PM me or something. I would appreciate it.

Fever106, if you were really trying to warn me about how risky it would be to withdraw, then yes you would've been being reasonable. But I think we can all see that I asked a reasonable question, which I tried to word as sensitively as possible. Because I dared to suggest that there was something I might not like about your med school, you decided to respond with personal attacks. Also, somewhere along the line, LemonTree decided I was self-absorbed.

You've tried to trivialize my question many times by suggesting I was looking for a med school where I'd have to do no work at all or by suggesting that I am considering turning down NYMC because of prestige. If you re-read my posts, I think you can see that I am asking something much more reasonable.

Finally, I wasn't writing off NYMC based only on grading scale. I started this thread to help me DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT to write off NYMC based on its stressfulness (of which grading scale is just one contributor). After all, there were things (which I hint at in earlier posts) that I liked about NYMC as well.

Notdeadyet, thanks for sticking up for me and thanks to everyone who gave me helpful comments.

Again, if any NYMCers are willing to chime in about whether or not NYMC is a stressful place to learn medicine, then please PM me or something. I would appreciate it.

If I had your stats I would withdraw from NYMC too. A 39 mcat means you can probably get into a top 20 school if you wanted, next year if not this one.
Try to do something that will make you stand out a bit more on your app. I withdrew from Drexel (before I got the final decision) because I knew, after I found out how many tests they had (like 40-50 per year), I would be miserable. Luckily I got into a great school that's inexpensive and relatively low stress. I do not study anywhere near 4-5 hours per day except when I'm cramming right before a test.

If I had your stats I would withdraw from NYMC too. A 39 mcat means you can probably get into a top 20 school if you wanted, next year if not this one.
Try to do something that will make you stand out a bit more on your app. I withdrew from Drexel (before I got the final decision) because I knew, after I found out how many tests they had (like 40-50 per year), I would be miserable. Luckily I got into a great school that's inexpensive and relatively low stress. I do not study anywhere near 4-5 hours per day except when I'm cramming right before a test.

he's got a 3.5 gpa and two, by his own description "ok LORs." top 20? maybe, but it's a stretch.

i have a 3.5 gpa from a "prestigious" school, and i'm thrilled to be going to med school at all.

Well, I agree that his MCAT is high. However, if you look at some of his old posts, he applied to over 30 schools, many of which were top tier, and has yet to gain an acceptance. Telling him to withdraw from NYMC because he can "do better" seems kind of contradictory. A 3.5 GPA is average for NYMC, so to make him sound like he totally out of their league is kind of silly.

By the way, you are only a few months into your first year....wait and see if you continue cramming when pathology and pharmacology roll around.

he's got a 3.5 gpa and two, by his own description "ok LORs." top 20? maybe, but it's a stretch.

i have a 3.5 gpa from a "prestigious" school, and i'm thrilled to be going to med school at all.

I don't think he has the best ECs, LORs either, but those can be improved in the gap year and his numbers are very high. A 39 mcat and 3.5/3.6 at a prestigious ugrad really should get him interviews and acceptances to several top schools.

Any proactive person can get research w/publications and physician shadowing under their belt, but I know for sure I could not get a 39 on the mcat.

Let that spot he may get at NYMC (but doesn't really want) go to someone who is on the waitlist and praying that the adcoms look past the numbers. I was that guy six months ago.

By the way, you are only a few months into your first year....wait and see if you continue cramming when pathology and pharmacology roll around.

Yeah I know, I looked at robbins and I'm already scared.

I don't think he has the best ECs, LORs either, but those can be improved in the gap year and his numbers are very high. A 39 mcat and 3.5/3.6 at a prestigious ugrad really should get him interviews and acceptances to several top schools.

Any proactive person can get research w/publications and physician shadowing under their belt, but I know for sure I could not get a 39 on the mcat.

Let that spot he may get at NYMC (but doesn't really want) go to someone who is on the waitlist and praying that the adcoms look past the numbers. I was that guy six months ago.

First of all, you are forgetting that he already applied by casting a wide net and has been so far, unsuccessful. You are so sure that he could get into a top twenty, but he was unable to do so the first time around. His application is not going to change much in the next few months, and he will be a reapplicant. Second of all, you are assuming that everyone who has there fingers crossed for NYMC has lousy numbers. This is very false.

I'm perplexed, OP, that you got the interviews you did but no others. (Like if there was a really big red flag -- i.e. bad letter or P.S. -- you wouldn't have gotten interviews at such good schools.) Maybe in January you'll get some more feedback and have more options?

This process makes zero sense to me!

First of all, you are forgetting that he already applied by casting a wide net and has been so far, unsuccessful. You are so sure that he could get into a top twenty, but he was unable to do so the first time around. His application is not going to change much in the next few months, and he will be a reapplicant. Second of all, you are assuming that everyone who has there fingers crossed for NYMC has lousy numbers. This is very false.

Well I guess I didn't read this thread closely enough because I didn't get that he was already a reapplicant considering reapplying for a second time.

When I had my fingers crossed for NYMC I had competitive numbers (low 30s mcat, 3.5 ugrad gpa, 3.7 science masters gpa, 3.9 postbac), and assumed that the people accepted instead of me had higher numbers. I don't know where you got that I think people who interviewed and then were waitlisted there had lousy numbers. Last year, unlike when you applied in 2006, there was almost no waitlist movement. If he is indeed a reapplicant common sense should tell him not to pass up any acceptance this time.

But for whatever reason, he interviewed there, got some sort of bad vibe, and knows it's not right for him. I say he shouldn't feel guilty about wanting to withdraw if he isn't very averse to reapplying. I would not say that to someone with a 3.5/30. This process is a crapshoot, he might get into Harvard and not even get an interview to NYMC next year.

I guess I may as well throw in my two cents, two bottles of champagne into the HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Haha, anyways, if you know you wont go to NYMC, then withdraw. They only accept one in three of their interviewees, so its not like its a sure thing that you're in because you got an interview. I know it is an environment that I would loooove to learn in, so if you feel like you are better suited for somewhere else, then withdraw. I think a lot of this process has to do with where you feel you 'fit in'. If this isnt it for you, somewhere else will be. Also, if these are rolling admissions schools that you are waiting to hear from, you may very well get an acceptance to somewhere you can actually see yourself going in a few months. Either way, I know I wouldnt attend a school that I disliked, regardless of the reason, just because they accepted me. I think I would roll the dice again and see if I could come up with a better situation for myself. However, if you do plan on reapplying next year, get some plans in the works for improving the weak spots of your application. Either way, good luck, good health, good happiness, and best of luck :luck:

Here are the last two class threads from the allo forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=352356

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=267798&highlight=nymc+2010

Hopefully they help you and you can also find the screenames of a bunch of current students to PM with questions.

To be honest, during my interview there I got a vibe that it was pretty unstressful. It seemed laid back and had a very close atmosphere amongst the student body. But who knows if it was just a good day or what (or a bad day when you went), so PM some of those students!

first, he says his school is "prestigious" but we don't know what it is.

second, what gap year? it is already 2008. if he reapplies (again) it will be in 6 months. without a good plan already in place, he won't improve much.

to OP. If you think you are a bad fit, you could very well be a bad fit. Or Fever106 could have been your tour guide/interviewer. You have time before decisions need to be made. You can always wait and see if you are accepted and then re-visit the school. Some programs have a second visit day. Turning down an acceptance for personal reasons is completely valid and I do not know why people are telling you differently. you did ask a reasonable question. If you are getting interviews at some pretty good schools, you must have done something right. Some schools are also open to answering the question "why?" when you get a rejection letter, so maybe you will have a better sense of exactly what you need to do the next time around.

Well I guess I didn't read this thread closely enough because I didn't get that he was already a reapplicant considering reapplying for a second time.

When I had my fingers crossed for NYMC I had competitive numbers (low 30s mcat, 3.5 ugrad gpa, 3.7 science masters gpa, 3.9 postbac), and assumed that the people accepted instead of me had higher numbers. I don't know where you got that I think people who interviewed and then were waitlisted there had lousy numbers. Last year, unlike when you applied in 2006, there was almost no waitlist movement. If he is indeed a reapplicant common sense should tell him not to pass up any acceptance this time.

But for whatever reason, he interviewed there, got some sort of bad vibe, and knows it's not right for him. I say he shouldn't feel guilty about wanting to withdraw if he isn't very averse to reapplying. I would not say that to someone with a 3.5/30. This process is a crapshoot, he might get into Harvard and not even get an interview to NYMC next year.

I am not sure what you are saying. In your first paragraph you agree that as a reapplicant, he should not turn down an acceptance. Then, in your second paragraph, you tell him to turn down NYMC. We must not forget, the OP has yet to gain an acceptance at NYMC. This is key because right now, this is purely a hypothetical exercise. Also, I second what lemon tree said....he has no "gap year." His application will be virtually identical next round. For whatever reasons, ~32 medical schools did not want him this year. What makes you think that the top tiers will suddenly be clamoring for him in a few months time?

btw, i applied to Drexel. they didn't give me an interview or even acknowledge that i exist, but what if they do?? i really don't want to go there. i know i chose to apply and spend a lot of time and money on the application, but i really, really do not want to go there. i'd rather be a dentist than go to drexel.

what should i do? i am panicked that they might offer me an interview and, then, i might go, and then, they might like me and accept me. yikes, then what???

should i call them and withdraw?? but they won't take my calls. what a conundrum.

what if they secretly like me!!??

let's spend 2 days discussing this on an SDN thread because, of course, i need total strangers to tell me what do do if something that hasn't happened might happen and i won't know what to do.

btw, i applied to Drexel. they didn't give me an interview or even acknowledge that i exist, but what if they do?? i really don't want to go there. i know i chose to apply and spend a lot of time and money on the application, but i really, really do not want to go there. i'd rather be a dentist than go to drexel.

what should i do? i am panicked that they might offer me an interview and, then, i might go, and then, they might like me and accept me. yikes, then what???

should i call them and withdraw?? but they won't take my calls. what a conundrum.

what if they secretly like me!!??

let's spend 2 days discussing this on an SDN thread because, of course, i need total strangers to tell me what do do if something that hasn't happened might happen and i won't know what to do.

Ha Ha...you are awesome Lemon Tree.

Here are the last two class threads from the allo forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=352356

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=267798&highlight=nymc+2010

Hopefully they help you and you can also find the screenames of a bunch of current students to PM with questions.
Very good advice. I did something similar to help me learn about medical schools I was unfamiliar with before deciding whether or not to apply to them. It's voices out of the ether, so I took it with a grain of salt, but if you contact 10 current med schools and hear 8 of them gripe about the same issue, the issue may be valid.

I found the more folks I contacted, the more excited I got about a school.

For whatever reasons, ~32 medical schools did not want him this year. What makes you think that the top tiers will suddenly be clamoring for him in a few months time?
5 interviews out of 32 applications doesn't seem like a terrible ratio to me. And when your five include Harvard, NYU and UCI (for an OOSer)? that's a pretty impressive list.

I wouldn't assume that not hearing from a school by now means bad news. I didn't receive any acceptances until the year of matriculation. For all we know, this guy could be sitting on a Yes from Harvard. God knows he got closer than I ever did.