Unsw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone;

Just wanted to get some of your feedback on University of New South Wales. I am a Canadian citizen, and I recently applied to UNSW for the MBBS program. I have not taken the MCAT and have a 3.5 GPA. Dont wona wait another yr to take my MCAT, so I decided to apply there in hopes to get in for the 2007 term. If accepted they will offer me 1 yr of credit from my Bs degree, meaning I will have to do 5 yrs rather than 6.

I am planning on stay in AUSI to live after I am done. What are you feedbacks about the school and staying in Oz land to live after.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

UNSW is an excellent school, it is an undergraduate entry program, meaning you do not need a Bachelors degree to apply. You might need to take the UMAT, I knew a couple of Canadians at Newcastle who took it. If you have a degree, you should take the MCAT and apply to the graduate entry programs. I applied to Monash and was turned down but got into both Queensland and Sydney.

If you are planning to stay in Australia, it might be better to go to a school in Western Australia or South Australia, there are more internship spots for graduates, this might change by the time you finish, but from what I know international students in these two states have had fewer problems staying. Queensland also increased internship spots so that is another possibility. I know that Sydney and Melbourne are tough places to stay, they are great places so just about everyone who comes to Australia wants to live in those two cities. It like people coming to the US from abroad settle in mostly New York and California.

I wouldnt mind applying to the post-grad programs but I dont want to waste another yr by taking the mcat now and wait for the 2008 term. If I could get in now at UNSW for 2007, I would rather start now. What do you think?
Another thing is, what kind of an MCAT score you think would get me in Queensland or Sydney, if you dont mind me asking.
Another thing, lets say I graduate from UNSW, would I be able to do my internship in a different state if I couldnt obtain a position in NSW?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
UNSW is an excellent school, it is an undergraduate entry program, meaning you do not need a Bachelors degree to apply. You might need to take the UMAT, I knew a couple of Canadians at Newcastle who took it. If you have a degree, you should take the MCAT and apply to the graduate entry programs. I applied to Monash and was turned down but got into both Queensland and Sydney.

How did you get into both UQ and Syd? I thought acer gave only one interview and one admission only?

Also is the usyd interview really hard? iv heard some bad stories about people with gamsats of like 75 and not getting a place...

How did you get into both UQ and Syd? I thought acer gave only one interview and one admission only?

USyd is via ACER, but UQ accepts direct applications.

Also is the usyd interview really hard? iv heard some bad stories about people with gamsats of like 75 and not getting a place...

I don't know whether it's easy or hard. But you can find out what they're looking for on their website:

http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/applicant/local/interview.php

Also, there are other websites which give interview tips for med school in Oz.

UNSW and grads of other 5/6 Medical school programs tend to have much better chances of matching into highly competitive Australian post grad programs. If you get a spot at UNSW, take it.

For those that are already in Oz or going there to do med...
After you graduate from either the undergrad 5-6 yr or post grad program, what comes after that?
I hear that you need to do 2 yrs of internship....can you start practicing as a GP right after your finish your 2 yrs of intersnhip??

THanks

Not quite, you need to complete another four years of GP training to become a fully registered GP. More than 70 percent of Australian doctors are GPs.

so lets get something straight;

so if I was going to UNSW, I would have to do 6 yrs of Undergrad, then 2 yrs of internship , and then another 4 yrs of residency to become a GP? A total of 12 yrs??

Thank you