UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gxb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread! Anyone applying to the program this year?
Here's the link to the program: http://web.unthsc.edu/info/20004/gr.../master_of_science_degree_in_medical_sciences

One of the current students was nice enough to provide some valuable information about the program in a Q&A conversation that we've had recently. click here to access the thread.

To any current or former students willing to share their experience, your input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also a current med sci student happy to answer any questions ya'll have. I figure this thread won't have much activity until it gets closer to the end of the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Former med sci here if anyone has questions about courses later in the program or medical school.

I'm very interested in the program, and moved to Texas specifically to attend the med schools here. I have two questions about the program:

1. The statistics posted on the website, while refreshingly honest, seem somewhat bleak. Of the 75% that graduate, what happened to the other 25%? Did they flunk out? Throw in the towel? Or, in your opinion, did that 25% not belong there in the first place? Of that 75%, UNT states 60% gain acceptance to a med school somewhere. Does this number reflect those accepted during the program, or the overall success rate? I remember reading that TCOM saves 10% of it's class for its SMP students; is this still true? Of the students that didn't go to TCOM, did any other schools seem to value the program over others? I remember reading that A&M seemed to really like students from this program.

2. I moved here last month, and started working as a 1099 employee in September (boo). I know there's no way I could qualify for resident tuition for the summer, but how about the fall? Could it be possible for this transition to affect my chance of acceptance i.e. even though I live here I'd technically be out of state? If you have no idea, who could I talk to about this?

I hate to sound like I'm dissing the program, but I know that I won't be able to succeed in any program if there's any part of me that feels "ripped off". It seems to have worked out for a lot of people in the past, I just hope it's not becoming a victim of its own success; EVMS comes to mind, for instance.

1. The statistics posted on the website, while refreshingly honest, seem somewhat bleak. Of the 75% that graduate, what happened to the other 25%? Did they flunk out? Throw in the towel? Or, in your opinion, did that 25% not belong there in the first place? Of that 75%, UNT states 60% gain acceptance to a med school somewhere. Does this number reflect those accepted during the program, or the overall success rate? I remember reading that TCOM saves 10% of it's class for its SMP students; is this still true? Of the students that didn't go to TCOM, did any other schools seem to value the program over others? I remember reading that A&M seemed to really like students from this program.

I can answer the first question. I have no idea about the second, sorry. In my class most of the 25% that didn't graduate either failed out or dropped out. I'd estimate it was 50/50 for each reason.

Those numbers reflect the overall success rate and not just the students who get into med school while in the med sci program. More numbers: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=1162

I don't know how many spots TCOM saves for med sci students but 10% sounds about right. They usually end up accepting ~15-20% of their incoming class from the current med sci class. In terms of which schools tend to accept more med sci students, I think it's TCOM>A&M>Texas Techs>UTHSCSA>UTMB>UTH>UTSW>BCM for the Texas schools. OOS osteopathic schools tend to like med sci students too.

I'm very interested in the program, and moved to Texas specifically to attend the med schools here. I have two questions about the program:

2. I moved here last month, and started working as a 1099 employee in September (boo). I know there's no way I could qualify for resident tuition for the summer, but how about the fall? Could it be possible for this transition to affect my chance of acceptance i.e. even though I live here I'd technically be out of state? If you have no idea, who could I talk to about this?

I hate to sound like I'm dissing the program, but I know that I won't be able to succeed in any program if there's any part of me that feels "ripped off". It seems to have worked out for a lot of people in the past, I just hope it's not becoming a victim of its own success; EVMS comes to mind, for instance.

I do believe about 25% of our class doesn't belong here in the first place. As unfortunate as that is, it is true. Yes, AT LEAST 10% is saved for med sci, thats teh only guarantee, but historically far more than 10% are admitted (seems to be 20-30%). Currently myself and a close friend have interviews to UTHSCSA. many i know have interviews to other UT schools. I've actually yet to meet a person who has received an interview to the tech/A&M schools but interviews are kept rather private so I'm positive many have received these. TCOM interviews are currently being handed out as well. Remember, this invites are not solely based on MedSci performance, but overall application with med sci added in as well.

Who could you talk to about the resident tuition? Well it may be shocking, but i would probably talk to the Financial aid/Fiscal services department...

The only way you wont be able to succeed in a program is because of your own actions. Nothing about this program applies to "ripping anyone off". It is a very solid and well-designed program, the director of the program (associate dean of the entire graduate school) is involved and shows dedication to making sure the education we receive is of great quality. They dont throw any curve balls and they uphold their word. No one has ever said this program is a guarantee in any way. That being said, earning a 4.0 here with a 22 on your MCAT will probably get you nowhere. As I said before, if you don't succeed in this program then that is a product of your own actions and not because you were "ripped off". Honestly, to say you wont succeed b/c of feeling "ripped off" is quite ignorant, perhaps i took what you were saying the wrong way?

Reactions: 1 user

This is strictly my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

One thing really resonated with me when I attended an open house session for the med sci program back in February and this was that UNTHSC would not accept anyone into the program that they felt like they could not help. They do not want to waste their time or yours if they do not feel like this program would significantly increase your chances of matriculating into medical school.

What you need to do is take a step back and break yourself down as an applicant AS OBJECTIVELY AS POSSIBLE. Write down what your strengths and weaknesses are as an applicant. These can include things such as GPA, MCAT score, extracurriculars, research experience, volunteer hours, etc. What are your deficiencies and what can you do to correct them? In my opinion, the main deficiency that the med sci program can help with is a not-so-great uGPA. Yes, there are still lingering questions such as: 1) How low of an uGPA is too low? 2) How much weight does a post-bacc GPA carry compared to an uGPA during the application process? 3) Do medical schools even care about your time spent in the med sci program?

If all you need is to do is boost your MCAT score, I personally would not bother with med sci. Invest in an MCAT prep class or, if you are dedicated enough, buckle down, change your study strategy, self study, and re-take the test.

If you feel like your uGPA needs some help, then I would take a look at the med sci program. Your post-bacc GPA is a separate entity from your uGPA, but would a stellar post-bacc GPA help ease an admission committees worries about your ability to handle medical school curriculum? Maybe so.

If you have a low uGPA AND MCAT score, med sci can still help you. If this is your situation, START STUDYING FOR THE TEST NOW. The summer semester will be SO much easier if you don't have to take the MCAT prep class. I can't stress the importance of having a "competitive" MCAT score. I don't think a 4.0 in this program paired with a 22 MCAT will really help you.

Last edited:
If all you need is to do is boost your MCAT score, I personally would not bother with med sci. Invest in an MCAT prep class or, if you are dedicated enough, buckle down, change your study strategy, self study, and re-take the test.

If you feel like your uGPA needs some help, then I would take a look at the med sci program. Your post-bacc GPA is a separate entity from your uGPA, but would a stellar post-bacc GPA help ease an admission committees worries about your ability to handle medical school curriculum? Maybe so.

The above is exactly what I thought while I was in med sci, but I just want to point out that many of my classmates either never retook their low MCAT score or retook the MCAT and still did poorly (<28). They ended up getting into medical school after doing well in med sci and reapplying. I think that for the low MCAT/decent GPA combo if you can bring up your MCAT score that's the best way to improve your application, but if you can't then med sci can still be helpful.

I'm currently interviewing and I know something about UNT...

This program is very well known among admissions people at TX MD schools. In the last cycle I know that one student got in at Southwestern. Many, many got interviewed by TCOM but got rejected and moved out of state. I know a couple people who unfortunately became worse off and had to find a job after failing to get accepted ANYwhere. Honestly I think it was their own fault . One had a bf and didn't seem to put any extra effort, maybe she figured it was a done deal and all she needed was a B. The other person had a very abrasive and arrogant personality, which ultimately did him in.

I also wanted to point out that UNT has run this program for many years. If I'm not mistaken, it was started to help TCOM remediate some of its own applicants. I believe they said it in one of our presentations.

Also, I honestly don't believe UNT is in this for the money or ripping off people. Only a small percentage of the operating revenue of the Health Sci Center comes from student tuition.

Again you can succeed ONLY if you take everything seriously starting from Day One. It is an intense high quality program that has proven its value. But it is also true that if you can't raise your MCAT above a filter cutoff, or if you can't pass a med school interview, then it's not going to help you at all.

Don't get a C in a course or it's over! I'm a first year that went through medsci. That 25% that you asked about are from people failing and need to retake a course (you don't graduate unless you have a 3.0), quitting, or transferring to other programs. At the end of the year, we were offered a chance to apply for the clinical research program. They got filled up quick since not a lot of students were sure what to do without an acceptance.

I never heard about guaranteed slots for TCOM from medsci except the bridge students. Our class has around 40 medscis. Prior classes have different numbers so you can't really put a number to it.

Don't get a C in a course or it's over! I'm a first year that went through medsci. That 25% that you asked about are from people failing and need to retake a course (you don't graduate unless you have a 3.0), quitting, or transferring to other programs. At the end of the year, we were offered a chance to apply for the clinical research program. They got filled up quick since not a lot of students were sure what to do without an acceptance.

I never heard about guaranteed slots for TCOM from medsci except the bridge students. Our class has around 40 medscis. Prior classes have different numbers so you can't really put a number to it.
Gwirtz/TCOM Adcom told us its 10% minimum @ one of our meetings

Members don't see this ad :)
Gwirtz/TCOM Adcom told us its 10% minimum @ one of our meetings

Ah ok. I just remember them saying that they told us not to assume that TCOM will take a certain number, but that could've changed. I mean, it's usually ~30-40, but you have to remember that there's like 15 or so bridge students so that cuts that number down.

Ah ok. I just remember them saying that they told us not to assume that TCOM will take a certain number, but that could've changed. I mean, it's usually ~30-40, but you have to remember that there's like 15 or so bridge students so that cuts that number down.
True, but just fyi the bridge program is no longer around. This past year was its last.

How does this SMP program compare to RFU (rosalind franklin BMS)?

The RFU SMP has linkage to RFU only, however it seems this program has linkage to TCOM as well as other Texan medical schools, correct?

True, but just fyi the bridge program is no longer around. This past year was its last.

Oh wow, didn't know that. Crazy how things change in such a short time. Heard it also got more competitive to get in the program as well.

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply to this program for summer 2016 which is the next cycle of application. How competitive is it to get into the program? What kind of students get accepted? My GPA is around a 3.0 and I just took my MCAT again last week so I don't have the scores yet. The first time I took my MCAT I got a 25.
If you accepted and went through the program, what advise would you give someone who is applying? Do students usually apply to medical school while in the program since you would have to submit your AMCAS/TMDSAS/AACOMS before you have grades for the program?

How does this SMP program compare to RFU (rosalind franklin BMS)?

The RFU SMP has linkage to RFU only, however it seems this program has linkage to TCOM as well as other Texan medical schools, correct?

There is no guarantee to get into any school in Texas. That being said, doing well in the program really helps your chances of getting into medical school. I think I read a statistic saying about 70-75 percent of the previous years class got into MD/DO school somewhere in the U.S.

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply to this program for summer 2016 which is the next cycle of application. How competitive is it to get into the program? What kind of students get accepted? My GPA is around a 3.0 and I just took my MCAT again last week so I don't have the scores yet. The first time I took my MCAT I got a 25.
If you accepted and went through the program, what advise would you give someone who is applying? Do students usually apply to medical school while in the program since you would have to submit your AMCAS/TMDSAS/AACOMS before you have grades for the program?

I'm not sure if you mean that you can only start in 2016, but it is possible to start this coming summer if you wanted to do that! I know for the class beginning in the summer of 2013 it was about a 50% acceptance rate. Not sure about what this past year's acceptance rate looked like. Also for the class beginning in 2013 the average GPA was a 3.4 and MCAT was a 26 (keep in mind this is just an average so half below half above). Again, not sure what this past year's statistics were. If you email someone at the institution I'm sure they will help you out, everyone is really nice!

That being said, I do think it's possible for you to get into the program but I have heard that it's going to get more competitive. If possible and if you're only planning to start in 2016, I would recommend maybe retaking some classes. Especially since AACOMAS does grade replacement, it will help you in the future. MCAT wise, hopefully your score improved, if not, anyone who has under a 28 has to take the course offered by the Princeton Review (they teach it on campus) and has to retake the MCAT. It is my opinion that they look at the applicant holistically so make sure you have good ECs, LORs, and take time to write and check your essays.

Advice for someone applying: get your application in early, show interest (there is an open house that takes place in February I believe, can't hurt to check it out), be patient (some people only got in the week or even the day before the program started), if possible, try and retake and get the MCAT over with before you get here so you don't have to worry about it in the summer (if you do this, you will only be taking biostatistics during the summer).

Advice if you get in: get your applications done before you start!!! This will make your life so much easier, if you wait until you get here, you will for sure procrastinate because of school. To answer your last question, yes, people apply while in the program and update their grades as courses finish (you finish biochemistry and molecular biology before the end of the semester). Besides that, just study hard, it's a great program, all the classes are really meaningful and you can definitely do well if you try! From what I heard, the program has a great reputation with plenty of MD/DO schools and plenty of people get in. Final piece of advice, everyone here, staff and students included, is extremely nice and knows you're here to reach the next step so don't hesitate to help others or ask for help.

Best of luck with the application and waiting for your MCAT score; please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Your stats are a little low to get in to MedSci but they separately look at your most recent 60 hours of coursework so this could bail you out possibly.

Make sure your essays and letters of rec are good when you apply, and apply as early as possible. Also, they dont start accepting people until early April i believe so dont freak out by checking your email every 5 minutes haha.

Basically everyone submits while in the program.

Hey all!

I am looking to apply this year. Does anyone know if they calculate your GPA like TMDSAS? I went to Baylor and our scale included +'s at the time, so B+ = 3.5.

My GPA there was a 3.3 but on TMDSAS is was right below 3.2. I took the MCAT once before and made a 28. I'm going to retake it In January. Also, I'm worried because my last 60 hours were closer to 3.1. I have strong ECs and rec letters, so hopefully that will help me.

But from what I've said, are my chances decent for admittance?

Last edited:
Hey all!

I am looking to apply this year. Does anyone know if they calculate your GPA like TMDSAS? I went to Baylor and our scale included +'s at the time, so B+ = 3.5.

Anyway, my GPA there was a 3.3 but on TMDSAS it is a right below 3.2. I took the MCAT once before and made a 28. I'm going to retake in January. Also, I'm worried because my last 60 hours were closer to 3.1. I have strong ECs and rec letters, so hopefully that will help me.

But from what I've said, are my chances decent for admittance?

They calculate it like TMDSAS. Applying with a 3.3/28 will most likely put you above average for the applicants however a 3.1 for you last 60 is very low. I assume this is because you scored several Bs in your upper division classes? thats not a good sign if that is the case.

I had a 3.5 my senior year but I had a horrendous junior year due to some financial issues and working two jobs. My junior year included some C's but I made A's my senior year in Pathophysiology and Vertebrate Histology. So... my transcript doesn't show an obvious trend of not being able to handle upper level science.

Oh, and the two MDs that taught those classes wrote me good rec letters.

I had a 3.5 my senior year but I had a horrendous junior year due to some financial issues and working two jobs. My junior year included some C's but I made A's my senior year in Pathophysiology and Vertebrate Histology. So... my transcript doesn't show an obvious trend of not being able to handle upper level science.

Oh, and the two MDs that taught those classes wrote me good rec letters.

I don't think your grades are going to be an issue for this program, especially since your MCAT score is above the med sci average.

I second the recommendation on retaking the MCAT before doing the program. You would have so much more free time to focus on your apps and Biostats, you'd save money, and would be less stressed.

TCOM takes in 10% OOS.
Is this program then essentially useless for Canadian (i.e. international/OOS) applicants?

What are the stats needed to be accepted in this program? I can't seem to find the info on the website and nobody answers the phone when I call. My science gpa is low because of courses I took TEN years ago...so I'm hoping this would be a good place for me to prove I can handle the rigor despite my gpa.

Avg is 3.34 and 27 MCAT.

Minimum 3.0 and 23 MCAT.

I got this from an email I received after filling out a form saying I was interested. They don't appear to look at sGPA separately.

Avg is 3.34 and 27 MCAT.

Minimum 3.0 and 23 MCAT.

I got this from an email I received after filling out a form saying I was interested. They don't appear to look at sGPA separately.
They look at your most recent 60 hours of coursework separately. You're correct, they dont look @ sGPA separately.

Hey guys, I have a question! So I applied to DO schools for Fall 2015 and it's not looking too good in terms of interviews. So, as a back-up, I've decided to apply to this Masters in MS program. My mcat score is a 27 & my GPA is a 3.8 (Science GPA- 3.65). I also plan to retake the mcat and get some more clinical hours logged in the Spring and reapply next summer (2015) for entry in Fall 2016. So my question is that if the Masters program starts in summer 2015, is it ambitious to think that I can reapply to medical school during that summer too? Or do people normally wait until the one year program is over and then apply/reapply to medical schools the following summer?

Hey guys, I have a question! So I applied to DO schools for Fall 2015 and it's not looking too good in terms of interviews. So, as a back-up, I've decided to apply to this Masters in MS program. My mcat score is a 27 & my GPA is a 3.8 (Science GPA- 3.65). I also plan to retake the mcat and get some more clinical hours logged in the Spring and reapply next summer (2015) for entry in Fall 2016. So my question is that if the Masters program starts in summer 2015, is it ambitious to think that I can reapply to medical school during that summer too? Or do people normally wait until the one year program is over and then apply/reapply to medical schools the following summer?

I'm applying simultaneously. I've talked to a few who have done this and said the program was flexible in allowing students to go on interviews when necessary.

Almost everyone in the program applies during the program. they encourage it, and have no problem letting you make up any missed work/tests that you miss.

Hey y'all, I'm looking to apply this year and have a few questions.

1) Are my marks good enough to make it? I'm biochemistry bs with a 3.47 current GPA, 3.36 science. I took the MCAT twice and got a 30 the first time and a 28 the second time (unfortunate, I know). I plan to retake the MCAT for a third time in April, but I believe that would be too late to be considered by the program? Would love clarification on this.

2) How many letters of recommendation are required? I only have one strong rec letter, so I'm afraid any subsequent required LoR might significantly hurt my chances. I also don't have very strong ECs, so I'm afraid that might work against me as well.

3) How important is applying early? I understand that they don't send out acceptance letters until April, so I thought applying later might give me a good chance to work at stronger LoRs during the spring semester. This would be the only thing preventing me from applying early in the cycle.

Quoted from Mengo: Hey y'all, I'm looking to apply this year and have a few questions.

1) Are my marks good enough to make it? I'm biochemistry bs with a 3.47 current GPA, 3.36 science. I took the MCAT twice and got a 30 the first time and a 28 the second time (unfortunate, I know). I plan to retake the MCAT for a third time in April, but I believe that would be too late to be considered by the program? Would love clarification on this.

Answer:

For this program, and only this program, the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is required instead of the Graduate Record Examination. While not the only criterion considered in acceptance into medical school, the applicant should have a competitive MCAT score before the application deadline. In general, composite MCAT scores below 20 and individual subset scores below 6 are not competitive. Applicants interested in pursuing admission to dental school may substitute the Dental Admissions (DAT) exam. Applicants interested in pursuing admission to physician assistant programs may substitute the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Intentions to pursue these programs must be communicated clearly in the admission application.

If the applicant has plans to retake the MCAT/DAT/GRE for future professional school admissions, he/she should sit for the exam no later than August during the first semester of the year he/she enters the program.

2) How many letters of recommendation are required? I only have one strong rec letter, so I'm afraid any subsequent required LoR might significantly hurt my chances. I also don't have very strong ECs, so I'm afraid that might work against me as well.

Answer:
2 Letters of recommendation
The applicant must contact his/her recommenders to request the letters. We do not do this for the applicant.
Letters must be on letterhead, signed, and come directly from your recommender. Please ask your recommenders to scan and email their letters to [email protected]. The email must come from your recommender’s University email address (or place of employment)
Letters can also be mailed to the address above. Applicants can submit a committee letter and can use the same letters used for the medical school application. Those that use interfolio can have the letters emailed to [email protected] from Interfolio.

3) How important is applying early? I understand that they don't send out acceptance letters until April, so I thought applying later might give me a good chance to work at stronger LoRs during the spring semester. This would be the only thing preventing me from applying early in the cycle.

Answer: from previous cycles I hear it's rolling admission and they don't start looking at apps until 30 people have applied, so the sooner the better would be my best assumption.

Hope this helps some!

Hey i'm a current student so hopefully I can help.

Your marks are good enough to get it.

Two letters are required. Dont stress about these, the letters aren't of too much importance. The more EC's the better, I can't be exactly sure how much they matter, but they matter quite a bit for med school. So, you should really start doing something to strengthen your app.

Apply as early as possible because, why not? Regardless of when you apply, they will not start handing out acceptances until sometime in mid-late march.

You're like my stats twin going into med sci. You'll be fine. I would try to get your application in at least 4-6 weeks before the deadline, or else you might not hear back until May and you'll be scrambling to move, find a place to live, etc. They send out acceptances in batches and it happens every year to people.

You're like my stats twin going into med sci. You'll be fine. I would try to get your application in at least 4-6 weeks before the deadline, or else you might not hear back until May and you'll be scrambling to move, find a place to live, etc. They send out acceptances in batches and it happens every year to people.

This is so true^^ I remember this summer people were accepted the same week school started... it's just not enough time to pick up and move so apply asap.

Thanks to all of you guys for your replies! I've only just started the app, but how long is the typical response in the Goals and Experience section? Is there a word or character limit I should be aiming for?

I would roughly follow the TMDSAS essay guidelines. Main essay should be under 5000 characters, secondary essays should be under 2500 characters.

how Would med Sci view pre reqs from a cc after not doing Well in prereqs at a Uni?

Hello! I'm really interested in this program, and I have 2 quick questions!

1. I have a ~3.0 gpa and a 27 MCAT, but I will be retaking the MCAT in January. Should I go ahead and apply to the program now with my current stats, or wait until I receive my new MCAT score in February? I read that it's advantageous to apply early because it's rolling admissions, but I'm afraid that I will get rejected before my new (and hopefully improved) MCAT score is released. Thoughts?
2. Does anyone know if the recommendation letters can be written for general med school admissions and not the Medical Science program specifically? I read that some SMPs allow this, but I couldn't find anything about it on UNT's website.

Thanks in advance.

I took the MCAT in January and applied right after my scores were released. I ended up being accepted in mid April, so I think it would be okay to wait if that's what you think is best for your chances.

LORs written for medical school admissions are perfectly fine.

how Would med Sci view pre reqs from a cc after not doing Well in prereqs at a Uni?

This is a red flag. If you can't perform well in pre-reqs at a university then the honest truth is you will not perform well at MedSci or ultimately, med school. Was there a particular reason you didn't perform well at your university?

I will say, comparing my college courses to the courses we've taken so far at MedSci: Our first biochem test covered almost as much information as my entire undergrad biochem course and consisted of only a couple weeks worth of lecture... We covered an entire undergrad semester of immunology in 2 weeks, and about an entire semester of microbiology in 1 week.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you legitimately struggled with undergraduate course work in undergrad then med school is probably not a feasible career choice. MedSci/Med schools want to see that you dominated your upper division science courses... just the truth.

Thanks to all of you guys for your replies! I've only just started the app, but how long is the typical response in the Goals and Experience section? Is there a word or character limit I should be aiming for?

My advice is to aim for an Intro / Body / Conclusion style of writing.

Hmm...actually I recently spoke with a dean at UTSW and she said they honestly do not care if you went to a CC. Take that however you want. They do not like online courses with "labs" though. That's a given.

But, she laughed when I asked if CC courses were a big deal.

Obviously UTSW is not the same as UNTHSC, but I think the same perception would apply. Now you'll find conflicting views all across this forum. This is just my own experience and my 2 cents.

And yes, my previous conversation with the dean was surrounded around the topic of retaking classes after performing poorly at the undergraduate level.