UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are only a few PA students that I know of. for the UNT program, a lot will weigh on how well you do in med sci because, why not? if the PA school has a chance to watch you perform at a high level prior to accepting you then they will do it. for the med school most people that interview get waitlisted so the school can just watch them perform. Hard to blame them...

Yes, it makes sense to see how well the student does. Is there only a few PA students that you know of because they did poorly? Or because most students attending the UNT program want to go to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it makes sense to see how well the student does. Is there only a few PA students that you know of because they did poorly? Or because most students attending the UNT program want to go to med school?
I just dont think that many apply to be honest. its majority premeds

I know this forum is about UNT Med Sci program but does know of or have applied to other similar SMP beside UTD? this program is my first choice because it is IS for me but I want to apply to other programs just in case I don't accept I would have other options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's ok to use LOR (via Interfolio) from April/May 2014? I actually applied for 2015 cycle, but due to taking a late MCAT (August) and my score not so hot, I decided to withdraw my app. I was planning to send in my pre-health committee letter along with a LOR from a Dr. Should that be suffice?

Also, so I've tried downloading my MCAT score report to include verification code, however, I have to print the report. Is there anyway to download the report into a pdf? Or should I just print out the report, scan and then email it to admissions?

I know this forum is about UNT Med Sci program but does know of or have applied to other similar SMP beside UTD? this program is my first choice because it is IS for me but I want to apply to other programs just in case I don't accept I would have other options.

Are you looking for other IS SMPs? Outside of UNT, I only know of UTD & Texas Tech, which I believe are both 2 year programs. If you are looking OOS, there are LOTS of SMPs. Drexel, Columbia, Loyola, and Georgetown just to name a few. Best of luck! :)

Also, so I've tried downloading my MCAT score report to include verification code, however, I have to print the report. Is there anyway to download the report into a pdf? Or should I just print out the report, scan and then email it to admissions?

I went to the official score report screen and took a screenshot then sent it to the email address. sounds bootlegged but thats what admissions requested

Do you think it's ok to use LOR (via Interfolio) from April/May 2014? I actually applied for 2015 cycle, but due to taking a late MCAT (August) and my score not so hot, I decided to withdraw my app. I was planning to send in my pre-health committee letter along with a LOR from a Dr. Should that be suffice?

Totally fine. just make sure it addresses the MedSci program

Has anyone's application been processed? I haven't gotten an email and since I applied to their medical school I have my username and password and it says they received my application but it is incomplete. When I go to my to-do list their is nothing there. So I emailed them and they said they haven't processed it.

Totally fine. just make sure it addresses the MedSci program

On the Med Sci website it says "Applicants can submit a committee letter and can use the same letters used for the medical school application." My letters specifically address my qualities and strengths to succeed in medical school. So...could I still use them as is or should I have them updated to specifically address Med Sci?

On the Med Sci website it says "Applicants can submit a committee letter and can use the same letters used for the medical school application." My letters specifically address my qualities and strengths to succeed in medical school. So...could I still use them as is or should I have them updated to specifically address Med Sci?
oh i didnt know it said that. You should be good to go!

Reactions: 1 user
I am adding info about the program, in no particular order, in hopes of answering any other questions.

-There are several students in this program pursuing Dental and PA studies.
-MCAT prep course is required if you scored below 28, BUT retaking the MCAT is purely your discretion. The course helped raise my score by 3 points. The most was 11 points that they know of.
-There is a technology fee. This year, it was $2000 for a Macbook Pro 13" and iPad mini w/ Retina. It might be different next year. BUT it is REQUIRED, even though you may already have them for personal use. Exams are taken on laptops. iPad mini, because it's part of the package. Included is a 1-yr warranty for each.
-Many of our professors also teach at TCOM, and they will tell you what TCOM students are learning if you ask. EDIT: One or two have mentioned that the rigor of our classes was similar to that at TCOM, granted there was less info to study or less time to study the same amount of info.
-Courses are rigorous. Be prepared to treat it like a full-time, 40hr-week job. Classes usually begin at 8am, and intermittent through the day, lasting up until 6pm once or twice a week. Class averages hover in the high 80s. If a class makes below an 85 as the final course grade, a curve is applied. There has been none so far. There are many students able to maintain a 4.0, but don't expect that of yourself if you are not used to making consistent As in undergrad. Try to maintain at least a 3.5 for better prospects, but there is no minimum that will guarantee and interview or acceptance into a medial school. Definitely make some As.
-Working is not advised. BUT it is doable, depending on how efficient you are with your time and studies.
-There is PLENTY of volunteering opportunities, BUT don't let that affect your academics.
-Major courses so far: SUMMER: 10wks Intro to Biochem (Pass/Fail, optional, semi-helpful for me), 10wks Biostats; FALL: 8wks(?) Biochem, 3wks Immuno, 3wks Micro, 16wks Histo, 16wks Epidem
-Future courses: Jan-Apr: Struct Anat, Physio; Apr-May: Pharmaco
-Preceptorship: 40hrs shadowing with a PCP is REQUIRED. Details aren't important right now, but you have until the beginning of Spring semester to complete the hours.
-I would say that my fellow classmates are VERY friendly and helpful! Most that I run into readily share info with me and help if I ask. The competition is pretty fierce, BUT they are also supportive. Lots of different personalities. I like!
-The atmosphere is open and supportive. Faculty and administration are VERY helpful- they try to help with you anything (and everything!). They want you to succeed, and I feel they emphasize for you to focus more on academics than extracurriculars. Be open with them and they will work with you. The reason they accepted you is because they feel you can do it, but they also know that external factors can influence whether or not you will actually succeed. In the same sense, they expect a lot from you, too.
-Students in the past have been accepted into MD schools in TX. Many get accepted into DO schools, either at TCOM or out of state. From what I've heard, this program is very well known across the nation. Some of my friends and relatives here in TX have heard about it.
-This program is NO GUARANTEE that you will get into a medical school. That all comes down to how badly you want it. Enough to make a high GPA? Enough to dedicate time for volunteering? Enough to prioritize your whole life to dedicate to academics? Enough to...??
-Your chances of being accepted into this program? Your guess is as good as mine. It partly depends how many students apply. Our class is around 190ish. I think there were 400+ applicants.
-Your chances of being accepted into medical school after doing well in this program? All I can really say is that it will be better than when you applied the first time and didn't get in.

EDIT:
-Don't get too caught up with stats and hearsay. I have been told that 100% of students who make at least a 3.5GPA will EVENTUALLY make it into a medical school...over the next several years, as there are students who make above 3.5 but don't get acceptances due to other circumstances. These stats are based on student feedback given at the end of the program. Keep in mind, there are students who don't apply during the cycle that they are in this program, some withdraw from the program, and some don't make good enough grades/MCAT scores (even after doing the prep course and retaking the MCAT, or not wanting to retake).
-There are tutoring sessions provided for our core courses, given by prior MedSci, current TCOM students.

I will add more as they come to mind.

Hello,

My concern is the possibility of being able to balance work and school. I completed a masters degree previously while working and only made one B, but that was four years ago. I really want to succeed in this program. I will not be reapplying to medical school until I complete the program (if I am accepted) in May 2016, so I really need to maintain my employment so that I can work during the gap year. Any advice? I see that you said most of the classes are during the day, which is problematic but will mean I will just need to readjust my priorities should I be offered admission. As far as the clinical prec., when are you able to begin those hours? And would weekend hours count? I was wondering if something along the lines of a urgent care clinic would count.

Hello,

My concern is the possibility of being able to balance work and school. I completed a masters degree previously while working and only made one B, but that was four years ago. I really want to succeed in this program. I will not be reapplying to medical school until I complete the program (if I am accepted) in May 2016, so I really need to maintain my employment so that I can work during the gap year. Any advice? I see that you said most of the classes are during the day, which is problematic but will mean I will just need to readjust my priorities should I be offered admission. As far as the clinical prec., when are you able to begin those hours? And would weekend hours count? I was wondering if something along the lines of a urgent care clinic would count.

With the way the schedule is made it would be really hard to have a job in the fall and spring semesters. If you are on top of everything I do think it could be possible but you wouldn't have any free time at all. During the summer the schedule is pretty chill so that shouldn't be a problem with working when you aren't in class; unless you are studying for the mcat which should also take a lot of time.

During the fall class will usually run from 8-2pm with a break at some point on most days but one day of the week will only end around 5/6pm. The spring classes end around 1-3pm on a day without lab and on lab days (usually 2 days a week) you will be there until around 5pm.

For the preceptorship it has to be completed after you begin the program and you can find your own physician but they have to be in some type of primary care, nothing specialized and I don't think they would accept an urgent care clinic. I don't remember the exact specifications but examples they will accept are doctors practicing in family medicine or pediatrics. Yes, weekend hours would count, it just needs to be a total of 40 hours done after you start the program and before the first day of the spring semester.

Edit: weekend hours

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone's application been processed? I haven't gotten an email and since I applied to their medical school I have my username and password and it says they received my application but it is incomplete. When I go to my to-do list their is nothing there. So I emailed them and they said they haven't processed it.

Hello! Mine has been processed and is showing as "complete." I submitted my application on December 17th; I received my confirmation from the school on Jan 7th with my log in information. However, my application was showing as incomplete up until yesterday (Jan 14th). I continued to follow up with Ms. Jan Sharp (very helpful) when my application was showing as incomplete to verify that everything was complete. She had to manually adjust it in the system is my understanding. I hope this timeline helped you! I am anxious to know my admission status already so I can start to make arrangements.

With the way the schedule is made it would be really hard to have a job in the fall and spring semesters. If you are on top of everything I do think it could be possible but you wouldn't have any free time at all. During the summer the schedule is pretty chill so that shouldn't be a problem with working when you aren't in class; unless you are studying for the mcat which should also take a lot of time.

During the fall class will usually run from 8-2pm with a break at some point on most days but one day of the week will only end around 5/6pm. The spring classes end around 1-3pm on a day without lab and on lab days (usually 2 days a week) you will be there until around 5pm.

For the preceptorship it has to be completed after you begin the program and you can find your own physician but they have to be in some type of primary care, nothing specialized and I don't think they would accept an urgent care clinic. I don't remember the exact specifications but examples they will accept are doctors practicing in family medicine or pediatrics. Yes, weekend hours would count, it just needs to be a total of 40 hours done after you start the program and before the first day of the spring semester.

Edit: weekend hours

Thank you! So you recommend retaking the MCAT in April/May then in order to free up the summer? I have already taken biostatistics and epidemiology at the graduate level, and they mentioned that I may be able to get that waived upon admission, which should free up some time as well. I really don't want to seem like I'm not dedicated to the program. Thank you so much for the clarification, I appreciate it!

@txmednic
You only need to take the MCAT course in the program if you scored below a 28.

@girlonfire101
Last year, adcom didn't review apps until after the submission deadline. Only worry IF your app is still marked incomplete after you've already submitted everything.

@txmednic
You only need to take the MCAT course in the program if you scored below a 28.

@girlonfire101
Last year, adcom didn't review apps until after the submission deadline. Only worry IF your app is still marked incomplete after you've already submitted everything.

Thank you! Unfortunately I did score below a 28; I am thinking about just paying for a prep class and getting it done before the program starts (if accepted). If I'm not accepted, at least I will have an improved MCAT score. Self-study hasn't been good to me!

For current Med Sci students, (just curious), but does using Anki flashcards help with your studying? If not, what are some recommended study tips?

Med Sci App question: Do we have to rank more than one program of interest if we are only interested in the Med Sci program?

Hello! Mine has been processed and is showing as "complete." I submitted my application on December 17th; I received my confirmation from the school on Jan 7th with my log in information. However, my application was showing as incomplete up until yesterday (Jan 14th). I continued to follow up with Ms. Jan Sharp (very helpful) when my application was showing as incomplete to verify that everything was complete. She had to manually adjust it in the system is my understanding. I hope this timeline helped you! I am anxious to know my admission status already so I can start to make arrangements.

Thank you!! So it took about a month after you submitted to get it completed. I submitted mine December 23 so hopefully it will be completed soon :)

Med Sci App question: Do we have to rank more than one program of interest if we are only interested in the Med Sci program?
No idea what anki flash cards are. My advice is to basically do your best to absorb all of the information you possibly can prior to the test. The day before a test I study @ the library until roughly 1am then arrive back to school around 6 if the test is at 8am. This has worked very well for me so far. keep in mind you should be keeping up with the info to the best of your ability throughout the lectures. I definitely use a "grind it out" attitude. We are given all of the lectures in the form of powerpoints and about 99.9% of the exam comes straight from these.

Just rank med sci first and the others 2nd and 3rd, it wont matter you will be classified as MedSci.

edit: for studying, I see a lot of students trying to use "prior knowledge" when learning, as if their undergraduate education trumps the education you will be receiving here. Just take everything they teach you here and go by that... the power points are solid.

Hello,

Urgent care will not count. Weekend hours are fine, any cumulation of 40 hours w/ the same physician once you begin the program will be acceptable as long as the physician is a general practitioner, pediatrician, general internist, or geriatrician.

I doubt you will be able to succeed at the level you'd like to while holding a job during the fall/spring (assuming you're working more than weekend night shifts or something). Why not apply this up coming cycle?

Urgent care will not count. Weekend hours are fine, any cumulation of 40 hours w/ the same physician once you begin the program will be acceptable as long as the physician is a general practitioner, pediatrician, general internist, or geriatrician.

I doubt you will be able to succeed at the level you'd like to while holding a job during the fall/spring (assuming you're working more than weekend night shifts or something). Why not apply this up coming cycle?

Yes I have a full time job currently in the health field, but it is very lax. They have supported others pursuing a Ph.D. or M.P.H. while employed. I don't think I would be competitive for this upcoming cycle; I have been out of school for four years (Masters back in 2011) and undergraduate in 2009. My MCAT score is terrible and my sci GPA is low due to a bad performance in 10 hrs of calculus almost 10 years ago at a community college.

Yes I have a full time job currently in the health field, but it is very lax. They have supported others pursuing a Ph.D. or M.P.H. while employed. I don't think I would be competitive for this upcoming cycle; I have been out of school for four years (Masters back in 2011) and undergraduate in 2009. My MCAT score is terrible and my sci GPA is low due to a bad performance in 10 hrs of calculus almost 10 years ago at a community college.
I think what /u/closetgunner is trying to get at is that the majority of students in the MedSci program apply during the program regardless of past grades, one huge advantage to doing this is that TCOM can access your grades while in the program so if you are doing very well you have a very high chance of getting an interview while a student. It will also help with other schools because you can update schools with your grades as each class ends. Hopefully your MCAT score will increase next time you take it and that paired with doing well in the program will give you great chances! I would also highly recommend applying while in the program and not waiting (if possible).

Not sure if this is what's being discussed right now, but do the majority of students apply to med schools the summer this program is starting? Won't schools miss out on the grades that we'll be receiving, other than TCOM? Sorry if this has been answered already!

Not sure if this is what's being discussed right now, but do the majority of students apply to med schools the summer this program is starting? Won't schools miss out on the grades that we'll be receiving, other than TCOM? Sorry if this has been answered already!
Yes most do and it is recommended that you do. Schools will see that you're in the program and that holds weight in itself. Also, as you finish each class you can update schools by sending an updated transcript. Classes don't all end in December like in undergrad, biochem will be done in the first month or so then cell bio the following month, so as you finish each, you can update schools.

@random123 is correct ^^

From what I've noticed, just about everyone who does well during the summer + Fall (7 total classes, "well" would be 4 or 5 As out of the 7) gets an interview at TCOM. Acceptance will be based on overall application, but word on the street is that anatomy and physiology (spring classes) are important determinators of acceptance. in other words, make As in those courses.

like Random123 said, there is a special drop down menu on TMDSAS to notify all of the Texas adcoms that you are in MedSci. I dont know anyone who did not apply this cycle in the program. If you do not apply, you will be removed from the "med sci" pool for TCOMs interview list. That doesn't mean you can not interview at TCOM, but you will be put back in with the rest of the applicants; this is a significant detriment to your interview chances.

Thank you all for your responses! I just submitted my online app and am trying to gather the rest of the information. You guys have been a great help. :)

Hello, my application says "This application is Complete." I submitted my application on December 26, 2014, got my ID on January 05, 2015 and my application just updated to complete today, Jan. 23, 2015. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hello, my application says "This application is Complete." I submitted my application on December 26, 2014, got my ID on January 05, 2015 and my application just updated to complete today, Jan. 23, 2015. Hope that helps.

I submitted my application earlier than dec 26, and still have not got any code or password. I thought that it was on a rolling, basis, on the website it says admission is rolling, but over here someone said that they only read the applications after the deadline?

I submitted my application earlier than dec 26, and still have not got any code or password. I thought that it was on a rolling, basis, on the website it says admission is rolling, but over here someone said that they only read the applications after the deadline?
They only start to give out acceptances after the deadline. That's the trend at least, in reality they can accept/review an app whenever they please.

Hi I am not from Texas and I was hoping if you could answer whether UNT's Masters in medical science program prefers in state students over out of state students and whether out of state students must have higher competitive stats to get in? Also I know that the mcat is changing this spring and was wanting to know if the class they teach for the mcat has also been changed accordingly and what avg. mcat score they would like for the new mcat?

Hi I am not from Texas and I was hoping if you could answer whether UNT's Masters in medical science program prefers in state students over out of state students and whether out of state students must have higher competitive stats to get in? Also I know that the mcat is changing this spring and was wanting to know if the class they teach for the mcat has also been changed accordingly and what avg. mcat score they would like for the new mcat?

I'm not completely sure about any of your questions but I'll answer to the best of my ability. Most students I've met are from Texas though I have met a handful (like 5) from out of the state; granted, the class is almost 200 people and I have not met close to everyone there.

I'm sure the MCAT class will change to adapt to the new one. Before the average score of people in the program was a 26, a 26 is right around the 50th percentile. From what I've seen of the new MCAT scale this would equate to around a 500 - 505 but I don't know much about the new MCAT so I could be completely off.

I'm not completely sure about any of your questions but I'll answer to the best of my ability. Most students I've met are from Texas though I have met a handful (like 5) from out of the state; granted, the class is almost 200 people and I have not met close to everyone there.

I'm sure the MCAT class will change to adapt to the new one. Before the average score of people in the program was a 26, a 26 is right around the 50th percentile. From what I've seen of the new MCAT scale this would equate to around a 500 - 505 but I don't know much about the new MCAT so I could be completely off.
Thank you, you answered most of my questions. Do you have any advice that might help a prospective student get in, for example if I visited the school or did anything else to show my interest in this particular program.

Thank you, you answered most of my questions. Do you have any advice that might help a prospective student get in, for example if I visited the school or did anything else to show my interest in this particular program.

Theres really nothing else you can do at this point. visiting the school won't help, it comes down to your numbers and essays.

Best of luck, its a great program

Just a FYI, UNT Med Sci has their open house on 02/21 at 9 AM.

Is it beneficial to go? I just switched at work to go.
I don't know if it is beneficial but they do make you sign in if you go so they know you attended. That being said, I can't see how it can hurt you to go (besides time and traveling), you never know who you could meet or if it will somehow positively effect your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Like @closetgunner19 said, numbers and essays. Don't take the essays lightly and try to convince the admissions committee why they should take a chance on you and why you will be successful in this program and the future. Good luck!

Of course! You have a chance to talk with staff and current med sci students. Also, I think it may serve well in the whole "placing a face to a name" aspect.

Thanks for the reply! I'm attending! Already switched with a guy at work! Gotta cram this PTO request in real quick, but I will go!

Last edited:
How many PA students accepted to this program roughly?

I just spoke with admissions in person and informed me that only a few people in this master's program are students wanting to pursue PA career. Majority are students wanting to go to medical school. He also informed me that the UNT PA program does not heavily weigh the fact that students are in the Med Sci program. The PA program looks at the Med Sci program like any other graduate school. You just have to do well in it.

I just spoke with admissions in person and informed me that only a few people in this master's program are students wanting to pursue PA career. Majority are students wanting to go to medical school. He also informed me that the UNT PA program does not heavily weigh the fact that students are in the Med Sci program. The PA program looks at the Med Sci program like any other graduate school. You just have to do well in it.

Thanks for the reply. A couple of us applying are career changers, no science background so we are looking at this program for good preparation and being able to learn how to be back in a classroom full time since we all have been working full time.

Hi everyone! I am applying to the UNT Medical Sciences program for this year. I am interested in pursuing dental school and I thought a post bacc program would help boost my GPA. I read that they also have a DAT prep course instead of the MCAT, can anyone verify that? I am a non-Texas resident and I was wondering how that would affect my chance. I'm a Kansas resident and we don't really have any programs like this for pre-dental students (probably because we don't even have a dental school in our state). Do we know when people will be notified on acceptance? Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.25
DAT Score: AA-17; PAT-19
I am also a first generation student so I don't know if that will help my chances or not. I have also gotten a few C's and have 2 Ws on my transcript (I just retook theses classes last semester and received an A and B).

Hi everyone! I am applying to the UNT Medical Sciences program for this year. I am interested in pursuing dental school and I thought a post bacc program would help boost my GPA. I read that they also have a DAT prep course instead of the MCAT, can anyone verify that? I am a non-Texas resident and I was wondering how that would affect my chance. I'm a Kansas resident and we don't really have any programs like this for pre-dental students (probably because we don't even have a dental school in our state). Do we know when people will be notified on acceptance? Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.25
DAT Score: AA-17; PAT-19
I am also a first generation student so I don't know if that will help my chances or not. I have also gotten a few C's and have 2 Ws on my transcript (I just retook theses classes last semester and received an A and B).
I think pre-dental students take courses that overlap with pre-med students in their MCAT course and non-overlapping material they self study and can ask the instructors questions (I'm not completely sure about this though and I'm not sure how this will be affected by the new MCAT and the new course that will accompany it).

Your cGPA is a little below average and I can't speak to your DAT score as I don't know scores/averages for it. Hopefully your GPA shows an upward trend and you have good ECs. I'm not sure about the first generation student but you should talk about it in your essays, don't think it will hurt.

If it is similar to last year, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until the end of March up until the day classes start. Best of luck.

I'm pending scores, but I'm going to go ahead and apply and pay the fee. I'm done with all the essays. They are a little lengthy but I think they're solid.

Like @closetgunner19 said, numbers and essays. Don't take the essays lightly and try to convince the admissions committee why they should take a chance on you and why you will be successful in this program and the future. Good luck!
Thank you for all your help!

Just another question..is this program only available for full time or is there a part time track as well? How would you guys rate this program against UTDs post bacc? Although UTD is for undergrad credit? Thanks!