Unthsc-tcom class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, everyone, and congratulations on being accepted to medical school! I am selling my condo on 4920 Byers Avenue, with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 2 covered parking spaces. I adored living here! It's in a very nice neighborhood, with nearby home prices in the millions. Less than 2 miles from school (I never missed a class due to inclement weather, and never was unable to meet my study group - it certainly helped my GPA), it's also within WALKING distance from shopping, several restaurants, a grocery store, a bar, Walgreens, Starbucks, and 2 lovely public parks, one with a tennis court and children's playground, and the other with a baseball diamond and playground. If you have a bike you may not even need a car, however the covered parking has saved my car from hailstorms several times. I have gone on away rotations for a month or two at a time and nobody has bothered my place. It would be great for two roommates or a married couple or small family. There is a small mostly paved backyard, but no actual yard work. I haven't decided what my asking price will be, but I will make sure that it is reasonable for a medical student. Please contact my real estate agent, Kendall Rojas at [email protected] or 817.665.1222.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a list that Snowkhat posted in the TCOM c/o 2011 thread over two years ago. Definitely would appreciate any info about the places or updates on the list.

Bay Area Med.Cent: Corpus Christi
Baylor All Saints: Ft.Worth
Brownwood Regional: Brownwood
Christus Spohn: Corpus
Cook Childrens: Fort Worth
Driscoll Childrens: Corpus
Harris Methodist: Ft Worth
JPS: Fort Worth
Mesquite Community: Mesquite
Methodist Charlton: Dallas
Methodist Dallas: Dallas
Plaza: Ft Worth
Terrell State Hospital: Terrell
Texas Tech: Odessa
UT Tyler: Tyler
William Beaumont Army: EL Paso

Yep, although most of my rotations were done at JPS. If you have kids or pets or have some reason why you can't travel, you get priority in choosing "home" rotations - so I got out of going to Odessa. (Yay!) Plaza has fantastic food but they never got our passwords working until 2 weeks into the rotation... Hopefully I made enough of a deal about it that they will fix that for you. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...remember that Dr. Dubin checks these threads so don't post anything stupid or whiny in public.

Does anyone know about the UNT health insurance? I was looking on the uhcsr.com website but their plans have odd dates of coverage.

Can anyone share with us some information about the biochemistry review course that occurs every year before orientation? Is that going to be in June or at the beginning of July?

THANKS!!

I used SOMA insurance with the highest deductible. It was inexpensive but also didn't pay for much. Fortunately you can go to the student health clinic for most things.
The biochemistry review is worth going to...I guess unless you are a biochem major and don't need to review anything. I needed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Due to today's lack of hustle, there will be no lunch."

Cancel recess? Disable internet checkers on everyone's laptop so they can't screw around during class?

Well if you just got into medical school and are already trying to figure out ways to skip classes, maybe you have made a bad decision! Your participation helps the other students and makes the faculty feel like showing up to teach you.

Yep, although most of my rotations were done at JPS. If you have kids or pets or have some reason why you can't travel, you get priority in choosing "home" rotations - so I got out of going to Odessa. (Yay!) Plaza has fantastic food but they never got our passwords working until 2 weeks into the rotation... Hopefully I made enough of a deal about it that they will fix that for you. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...remember that Dr. Dubin checks these threads so don't post anything stupid or whiny in public.

Just out of curiousity...if you own a home in Fort Worth is that considered a reason to be given priority in the "home" rotations?? I have pets too, but am buying a condo and just wondering how many years I can count on living in it versus renting it out. Also, are you likely to change clinical rotation sites after each block? For example, after your 4 weeks in one area do people often switch to a different site for their next 4 week rotation?

how many rotations away from the DFW area does an avg student usually have to do??

Well if you just got into medical school and are already trying to figure out ways to skip classes, maybe you have made a bad decision! Your participation helps the other students and makes the faculty feel like showing up to teach you.

Other than the fact that it might affect the faculty's feelings, I think skipping classes is perfectly OK, assuming you actually put that time to good use. Since the courses are recorded, it may be better for some people to get a few extra hours of sleep and listen to the audio once it's posted (at 1.5x or 2x the speed). If the syllabus handed out is comprehensive, it could be better to get an extra run through the material instead of going to lectures. It's important to figure out how you learn best in medical school to maximize your efficiency. The earlier you do this the better, as you'll end up with more free time to relax & maintain your sanity.

Other than the fact that it might affect the faculty's feelings, I think skipping classes is perfectly OK, assuming you actually put that time to good use. Since the courses are recorded, it may be better for some people to get a few extra hours of sleep and listen to the audio once it's posted (at 1.5x or 2x the speed). If the syllabus handed out is comprehensive, it could be better to get an extra run through the material instead of going to lectures. It's important to figure out how you learn best in medical school to maximize your efficiency. The earlier you do this the better, as you'll end up with more free time to relax & maintain your sanity.

So let me giet this straight, you advising skipping classes is OK. What rank are you in TCOM? Do you go to TCOM? What year are you? I'm graduating in May, and I went to my classes. I did well, but going to classes is the smart move. I know this to be true for my classmates who are also graduating and have a hight class standing. Just curious about yours, based upon your advice.
TCOM2009

Just out of curiousity...if you own a home in Fort Worth is that considered a reason to be given priority in the "home" rotations?? I have pets too, but am buying a condo and just wondering how many years I can count on living in it versus renting it out. Also, are you likely to change clinical rotation sites after each block? For example, after your 4 weeks in one area do people often switch to a different site for their next 4 week rotation?

Owning a home is considered, but not as much as, in order - being a single parent, having pets that nobody else can take care of, and then probably just being a parent and/or owning a home. (Being married does not count, since your spouse can take care of his/herself for a month but your pets can't). The students who rent apartments and don't have kids or pets will be doing their rotations in places like scenic Odessa.
The good thing about buying a condo is that the places near the campus are *increasing* in property value (not like the rest of the country) as people who work downtown want to live close by, and the cultural district is a really hot area. The bad thing about buying a condo is that there aren't many near the campus, so you really have to look for them.

While it would be nicer to be able to sleep in and listen to the audio in double-time in your pajamas, you will find that the school does not endorse this behavior, and the audio can be cut off without notice. Yeah, personally I think it's OK, and I actually preferred it if the people who weren't interested in being there didn't show up (there's a grading curve, you know), but for some reason the people who are teaching the classes complain if people don't show up...and sometimes they leave without teaching the class!

Oh, and yes, you change rotation sites every month or two. But if you have extenuating circumstances, they are good about making sure you are close to home at all of them.

So let me giet this straight, you advising skipping classes is OK. What rank are you in TCOM? Do you go to TCOM? What year are you? I'm graduating in May, and I went to my classes. I did well, but going to classes is the smart move. I know this to be true for my classmates who are also graduating and have a hight class standing. Just curious about yours, based upon your advice.
TCOM2009

Whoa trigger, calm it down a bit. I don't like to miss class myself. I find that I pick up more of what the instructor thinks is important if I go to class. But that is what works for ME. Just like it works for YOU. Can't you admit that it is hypothetically possible that there are people in the world who don't get anything from sitting in a little chair and listening to someone talk? Maybe they get more from reading, or listening to a lecture while they jog or who knows, but I don't think that you can categorically say that anyone who doesn't like to go to class is automatically a bad student.

And, as for class participation, I've been in plenty of lectures where I wished that several people would just shut up. Some people like to talk just to hear themselves (students and professors alike).

I'm not advocating skipping class, and I can understand why it would aggravate the faculty, I just think that deciding exactly how we each want to attach our lips to the knowledge firehose is an individual decision. I mean we're all freaking adults by now, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone curious about the new building going up on TCOM's campus, you can watch construction at this link they emailed to us today:
mms://media.hsc.unt.edu/pcc_video

I used SOMA insurance with the highest deductible. It was inexpensive but also didn't pay for much. Fortunately you can go to the student health clinic for most things.
The biochemistry review is worth going to...I guess unless you are a biochem major and don't need to review anything. I needed it.

So, when you say that you used the student health clinic, what do they cover? I mean, can you go to the student health without having them bill your insurance for primary care stuff? Physicals/UTI/stitches, etc?

Trying to figure out what insurance to get.

Our financial aid stuff is posted on the portal website. I was surprised to see that I actually got some grant money. Not a lot, but anything is better than nothing.

As for the health insurance--I used the same united healthcare plan at UT Austin. You pay for the year, and it's cheap if you use the student health clinic. They will bill the insurance for certain things that aren't covered under the univ fee, but since it's the student health insurance that the school sponsors, you usually have to pay nothing. You do have the option to see outside providers, but then you have the deductible.

From the unt website I gather they have a pretty good primary care clinic .... I am pretty sure I will opt for the UHC insurance again.

Last edited:
Our financial aid stuff is posted on the portal website. I was surprised to see that I actually got some grant money. Not a lot, but anything is better than nothing.

Really, where on the site? And congrats on the grant money :)

Really, where on the site? And congrats on the grant money :)

I don't see what pinky sees either. She must have been the first of us to get her FAFSA filled out. Good to hear that they're letting people know though!

Sign into the portal, go to admissions then application status. Up at the top (and the bottom) there should be a drop down menu that says account inquiry. Change that to Student Center. Once you get to the Student Center, click on "View Financial Aid" under "Finances and Financial Aid". Once that pulls up, click on the 2010 link and it should show you what you are offered.

Anyone else see this? I'm wondering how much grant money everyone else is getting just out of curiosity? I dunno if I should be excited because it's good or not...lol

Last edited:
Sign into the portal, go to admissions then application status. Up at the top (and the bottom) there should be a drop down menu that says account inquiry. Change that to Student Center. Once you get to the Student Center, click on "View Financial Aid" under "Finances and Financial Aid". Once that pulls up, click on the 2010 link and it should show you what you are offered.

Anyone else see this? I'm wondering how much grant money everyone else is getting just out of curiosity? I dunno if I should be excited because it's good or not...lol

Pinky,
Does it show that you still need to submit an official transcript? Mine has said that for a while (making me "incomplete") even though I have had it sent twice.
Also did you submit FAFSA early in January?
Thanks.

Mine did say that for a long time- even after I had sent the trascript several weeks earlier. I finally called to make sure and they took it off and now it says complete.

I submitted my FAFSA in January, but I think everyones info should be out. Last time I called they told me financial aid award information would be available to view in mid-April.

On the facebook group Misty said that the financial aid office was going to start giving aid by going through the FAFSA's beginning with those submitted in January. You must have been one of the first!! I hope so cause all of my numbers say 0....so I'm hoping they just haven't done mine yet lol.

Yeah I don't have anything listed either, but I submitted my FAFSA late February. So makes sense.

Last edited:
Oh okay, sorry guys. That would make sense. I was thinking it had shown up for everyone.

Anybody going to preview day this Saturday?

As for the health insurance--I used the same united healthcare plan at UT Austin. You pay for the year, and it's cheap if you use the student health clinic. They will bill the insurance for certain things that aren't covered under the univ fee, but since it's the student health insurance that the school sponsors, you usually have to pay nothing. You do have the option to see outside providers, but then you have the deductible.

From the unt website I gather they have a pretty good primary care clinic .... I am pretty sure I will opt for the UHC insurance again.

Yeah, the UNT plan looks pretty good, except I have a wife. So it's like $1K for me and 5k for her.

Yeah, the UNT plan looks pretty good, except I have a wife. So it's like $1K for me and 5k for her.

Ouch....yeah, I miss the old days when I was still under my parent's insurance. Haven't been for 5 years, and the student health clinic really took care of me and the insurance really was only really used for my prescriptions. So hopefully it will be the same here.

Yup, the fiance and I will be there.

:( I won't be able to make it, feel free to post anything interesting/need to know that hasn't been in the emails....would love to hear how it went :) and have fun!!!!

Hey everyone,
If anyone missed out on preview day, here is the low down.
*There are 2 pre-matriculation courses, an online one and a live one.
The online one starts 6/8 and goes through 7/2. It is supposed to be a study skills online course with online quizzes and i think online chats as well. Offered by the Center for Academic Performance. Cost $50.
The live course starts 7/6 (2 weeks before orientation) and goes until 7/17. In the morning is biochemistry ($75) and in the afternoons is anatomy (i think $150 according to Amir Barzin's post earlier...maybe $75??) The registration deadline for biochem is June 24. These are supposed to be a great review and similar to our lectures when we start.
*Orientation is 7/20-24 and White Coat is 7/25.
*Financial Aid office is behind because they're missing a counselor so expect to hear something within a couple weeks if you filed your FAFSA. They will email you when they complete your aid.
Anything I forgot?

Take care everyone and enjoy your SUMMER!

Hey everyone,
If anyone missed out on preview day, here is the low down.
*There are 2 pre-matriculation courses, an online one and a live one.
The online one starts 6/8 and goes through 7/2. It is supposed to be a study skills online course with online quizzes and i think online chats as well. Offered by the Center for Academic Performance. Cost $50.
The live course starts 7/6 (2 weeks before orientation) and goes until 7/17. In the morning is biochemistry ($75) and in the afternoons is anatomy (i think $150 according to Amir Barzin's post earlier...maybe $75??) The registration deadline for biochem is June 24. These are supposed to be a great review and similar to our lectures when we start.
*Orientation is 7/20-24 and White Coat is 7/25.
*Financial Aid office is behind because they're missing a counselor so expect to hear something within a couple weeks if you filed your FAFSA. They will email you when they complete your aid.
Anything I forgot?

Take care everyone and enjoy your SUMMER!

Thank you so so so much! I really wanted the info on the pre-matriculation courses, so this is awesome!

Okay, so I may be wrong, but I think the pre-matriculation course info is a little off.

I think you are right about the online one.

The live one (again, I THINK) is biochemistry in the morning and "Survivor TCOM" in the afternoon- which includes study tips and techniques and teaches methods to make managing such a large amount of very dense material a little easier.

Then, I think there is a completely separate one that is called the Summer Anatomy Workshop and here is the low down on it as posted on Facebook by Amir, the first year DO class president:

Hey Guys!!! I hope you enjoyed Preview Day. As I mentioned to some of you, here is the link to the Summer Anatomy Workshop:

http://cme.hsc.unt.edu/eventinfo_2250.html

This workshop is offered from July 6-10 and July 13-17 from 1-5 p.m. This is a great way to get ready for medical school. I highly recommend this course because it is a great way to prepare you for medical school. The lectures will be the exact same lectures that you will have during the school year, and there is no better experience than taking a mock practical. We had about 60 students in our class do this course, and they all found it to be beneficial. We would like to see more than 100 of your students sign up. This is an excellent tool to prepare for medical school, and I highly recommend taking the course.

Once again, congratulations and welcome to the TCOM family!

Amir Barzin
[email protected]

Like I said, I could be just confused but that's how I took it, and I wanted to make sure that this was correct. Maybe we could email Amir if there is still confusion, because I very well may be wrong. If so, that would mean two of the courses overlap?

If so, that would mean two of the courses overlap?
Maybe I'll call sometime this week. I am interested in all 3 courses, but probably will need the biochem and anatomy more than anything. I would like to do the study skill preparation class too, but not if it eats up my whole summer! :scared: Hope everyone had fun!!

Also wanted a general opinion-do y'all think there will be an availability issue on housing? I am currently in AZ and haven't had a chance to pop back to TX do some apartment hunting, and I don't know if trying to get one early June will leave me with overpriced, not so hott places......

The live one (again, I THINK) is biochemistry in the morning and "Survivor TCOM" in the afternoon- which includes study tips and techniques and teaches methods to make managing such a large amount of very dense material a little easier.

Then, I think there is a completely separate one that is called the Summer Anatomy Workshop and here is the low down on it as posted on Facebook by Amir, the first year DO class president:

hey pinky, that sounds right too...

when i talked to someone in the center for academic performance they said that the survivor tcom is the whole "live" course though so i got confused.

but i think amir said that the anatomy thing is separate from the others. and it's $150 on his site but the "survivor tcom" was $75, right?

Maybe I'll call sometime this week. I am interested in all 3 courses, but probably will need the biochem and anatomy more than anything. I would like to do the study skill preparation class too, but not if it eats up my whole summer! :scared: Hope everyone had fun!!

Also wanted a general opinion-do y'all think there will be an availability issue on housing? I am currently in AZ and haven't had a chance to pop back to TX do some apartment hunting, and I don't know if trying to get one early June will leave me with overpriced, not so hott places......

hey raaska,
i don't think you would have that much trouble with housing imo because there will be a class graduating with the new class coming in (for tcom & tcu). i think apartments might offer better deals in june to try and get you to sign with them as it might be more competitive then. you may want to check the facebook apartments postings (TCOM 2013 & UNTHSC Student Life DO 2013) b/c they have done a lot of the apartments research already & posted it.

I think you'll be fine. It seemed like all of the ones I looked at wouldn't even know what would be available for a July 1 (this is what I had originally asked for) move-in until May or June. I actually went ahead and got one already for some personal reasons but I feel like you'll be fine. There's SO many places up there that I'm sure you'll find something affordable and nice!! And everywhere I went seemed like they have stuff opening up
every month.

As it gets a little closer to when you think you will be looking if you shoot me a PM I can give you a run-down of all the places I looked at (and I looked at a LOT). :)

hey raaska,
i don't think you would have that much trouble with housing imo because there will be a class graduating with the new class coming in (for tcom & tcu). i think apartments might offer better deals in june to try and get you to sign with them as it might be more competitive then. you may want to check the facebook apartments postings (TCOM 2013 & UNTHSC Student Life DO 2013) b/c they have done a lot of the apartments research already & posted it.

I think you'll be fine. It seemed like all of the ones I looked at wouldn't even know what would be available for a July 1 (this is what I had originally asked for) move-in until May or June. I actually went ahead and got one already for some personal reasons but I feel like you'll be fine. There's SO many places up there that I'm sure you'll find something affordable and nice!! And everywhere I went seemed like they have stuff opening up
every month.

As it gets a little closer to when you think you will be looking if you shoot me a PM I can give you a run-down of all the places I looked at (and I looked at a LOT). :)

ahhhhhh-such relief!! Thank you so much for y'all's opinions. I spent the last 4-5 years in Austin, and if you didn't get an apartment at least by February for the next August, you might as well claim some pavement along with hobos. So I didn't know about Ft. Worth....

I have checked out the fb page and it helped me a lot. And mgirl-I'll probably take you up on the offer at the end of May :)

Not to be sooo annoying, with my endless questions, but how much is a middle of the road, reasonable price for a one bedroom, one bath that most TCOM students can afford? When I asked fin aid and student life, they said it could range from garage apartments for $400 to luxury apartments for $1200. Which .... didn't help me. If it's not too personal, can y'all give me a range on what y'all are looking at?

I was trying to find something between 600 and 800. My boyfriend is moving in w/ me in December when he graduates so I was looking for a bigger one bedroom. There's plenty of nice places fairly close to the school that are in the 6-700s. If you go a little farther out the places get a little cheaper too. I got a place like 3 miles from the school in NICE complex and I got the biggest one bedroom for 750 a month. They have a program for students where if you make less than a certain amount of money (which we pretty much all do) you get a really low rate. So it kinda depends on what you're looking for- I looked at one place that was like 500 a month but they were a little older. You can definitely find something for every price range though.

I was trying to find something between 600 and 800. My boyfriend is moving in w/ me in December when he graduates so I was looking for a bigger one bedroom. There's plenty of nice places fairly close to the school that are in the 6-700s. If you go a little farther out the places get a little cheaper too. I got a place like 3 miles from the school in NICE complex and I got the biggest one bedroom for 750 a month. They have a program for students where if you make less than a certain amount of money (which we pretty much all do) you get a really low rate. So it kinda depends on what you're looking for- I looked at one place that was like 500 a month but they were a little older. You can definitely find something for every price range though.
awesome, thank you!!! I was aiming to look for 600-750 , so it's sounding good!!!

Nice....I think I am just going to throw my whole July away and do the biochem and TCOM survivor or anatomy. Can't decide which one yet.... I need all the help I can get.

I'll probably do the biochem one. Still deciding about the survivor one or the online one. There's just too many choices!!! Or I may just be a bum and take the whole summer off before we have no lives...

i really want to do the survivor TCOM and the anatomy one but they're scheduled at the same time... :( i think i'll end up doing the online and the anatomy ones though...

i really want to do the survivor TCOM and the anatomy one but they're scheduled at the same time... :( i think i'll end up doing the online and the anatomy ones though...

I thought there was only a TCOM survivor and biochem review. Is there a anatomy too??

Thanks for the link raaska55 and pinky6. I didn't even know that. Because the biochem review is in the morning and the anatomy is in the afternoon I'll probably skip the SURVIVOR TCOM. If any one is going to SURVIVOR TCOM I would be more than happy to share any tips or notes from the anatomy course for info on the SURVIVOR TCOM.

See you guys in July.

Thanks for the link raaska55 and pinky6. I didn't even know that. Because the biochem review is in the morning and the anatomy is in the afternoon I'll probably skip the SURVIVOR TCOM. If any one is going to SURVIVOR TCOM I would be more than happy to share any tips or notes from the anatomy course for info on the SURVIVOR TCOM.

See you guys in July.

hey, i think i am going to do the survivor TCOM one now since Dr. Dubin put a post on facebook about learning the basics first. i will be glad to share all the notes with anyone though too.

have a lovely summer everyone!