Unthsc-tcom class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks veraisme for the offer. I found out a few days ago that I have Graves’ Disease, a autoimmune condition that causes hyperthyroidism. So I’ll be undergoing radiation therapy to reduce my thyroid function. Because of all the tests and what not and the fact that I’ll be slightly radioactive :eek::hungover: there is a good chance I may not make it to any of the summer workshops. I still look forward to seeing you guys come July 20th.

Thanks for keeping the rest of us up to date.

Oh yeah, if I don't stand near anyone it has less to do with psychology and more to do with radioactivity.:hungover: But seriously most of the radiation will be gone by then. :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i think i am going to do the survivor TCOM one now since Dr. Dubin put a post on facebook about learning the basics first. i will be glad to share all the notes with anyone though too.

have a lovely summer everyone!
I don't know what to do! :confused::confused::confused: I can't decide between the Anatomy and the Survivor course. I am leaning towards the Survivor, because I don't want July to be soooo overwhelming but I read the post on the fb group about a med school student who was really recommending the anatomy since it's so similar to our actual course.....bleh, I need to stop whining and figure it out :(
Thanks veraisme for the offer. I found out a few days ago that I have Graves’ Disease, a autoimmune condition that causes hyperthyroidism. So I’ll be undergoing radiation therapy to reduce my thyroid function. Because of all the tests and what not and the fact that I’ll be slightly radioactive :eek::hungover: there is a good chance I may not make it to any of the summer workshops. I still look forward to seeing you guys come July 20th.

Thanks for keeping the rest of us up to date.

Oh yeah, if I don't stand near anyone it has less to do with psychology and more to do with radioactivity.:hungover: But seriously most of the radiation will be gone by then. :)
Hey! Sorry to hear about all this....but seriously good luck! Get better. We'll help you out when you join us in the fall :)

I don't know if this helps or not, but I talked to Amir in person at the Preview Day about the anatomy course. He said it's awesome, and he personally knows that everyone that took it last year rocked the course. Maybe it has something to do with already knowing what to expect for the first exam because during the anatomy one you actually do a little dissecting and take a real practical that the students took last year. So I guess it kinda gets you prepared for that dreaded first anatomy practical. Anyway, that may not make your decision any easier but I think the anatomy one would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what to do! :confused::confused::confused: I can't decide between the Anatomy and the Survivor course. I am leaning towards the Survivor, because I don't want July to be soooo overwhelming but I read the post on the fb group about a med school student who was really recommending the anatomy since it's so similar to our actual course.....bleh, I need to stop whining and figure it out :(

LOL, i TOTALLY AGREE! i was soo confused too, so i asked a 1st year student and she says the Anatomy course is 100% worth the money and time. i took a chordate anatomy course in undergrad but i the highest chordate we studied was a cat so i'm sure there are lots of surprises in store for me. i am doing the anatomy one instead now. BUT i was leaning towards the survivor one before for the same reason, i don't want to be overwhelmed before i even begin! anyway, if you decide on the survivor, then my notes are still on offer! :)

enjoy our last few months of summer!

I don't know if this helps or not, but I talked to Amir in person at the Preview Day about the anatomy course. He said it's awesome, and he personally knows that everyone that took it last year rocked the course. Maybe it has something to do with already knowing what to expect for the first exam because during the anatomy one you actually do a little dissecting and take a real practical that the students took last year. So I guess it kinda gets you prepared for that dreaded first anatomy practical. Anyway, that may not make your decision any easier but I think the anatomy one would be great.

LOL, i TOTALLY AGREE! i was soo confused too, so i asked a 1st year student and she says the Anatomy course is 100% worth the money and time. i took a chordate anatomy course in undergrad but i the highest chordate we studied was a cat so i'm sure there are lots of surprises in store for me. i am doing the anatomy one instead now. BUT i was leaning towards the survivor one before for the same reason, i don't want to be overwhelmed before i even begin! anyway, if you decide on the survivor, then my notes are still on offer! :)

enjoy our last few months of summer!
bleh.....I think I'll do biochem and anatomy :( LOL, so that means school really starts July 6th for us, huh? :laugh:

THANKS Y'ALL for all the input....I needed other's perspectives. :) See ya later!

Last edited:
Our financial aid stuff is posted on the portal website. I was surprised to see that I actually got some grant money. Not a lot, but anything is better than nothing.

This post is from forever ago, but I got my fin aid stuff today. :) A little grant + federal loans to cover my full COA. Yay!

Does everyone accept everything they give you?

I am taking all the money I can get!

You can always reduce the amount later. Or use it next year.

Hey all my future TCOMies..so excited to be going to Texas soon .In about two months I will officially be on my way to become a doctor. :xf: Can hardly believe it. Also, will be getting away from this aweful weather.I live in Cleveland..Ohio. Yeah I know..:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: On a more pleasant note, currently scoping places to rent. Have couple lined up. If anyone has any offers, I am looking for a townhouse or a condo. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, nicer. Since my whole family is moving, will need all this space. Thanks all my future peeps..:p

I am taking all the money I can get!

You can always reduce the amount later. Or use it next year.
:thumbup: yeah, I am taking all of the debt :laugh:
Hey all my future TCOMies..so excited to be going to Texas soon .In about two months I will officially be on my way to become a doctor. :xf: Can hardly believe it. Also, will be getting away from this aweful weather.I live in Cleveland..Ohio. Yeah I know..:eek::eek::eek:On a more pleasant note, currently scoping places to rent. Have couple lined up. If anyone has any offers, I am looking for a townhouse or a condo. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, nicer. Since my whole family is moving, will need all this space. Thanks all my future peeps..:p
:hello: and :welcome:

Hope you find a great place for the family :)

:thumbup: yeah, I am taking all of the debt :laugh:

:thumbdown: Yeah I realize that too, but due to my medical condition I want to have some extra money in case I need it for any medical cost that arise. :(

Hopefully I can reduced the amount I need once I get health insurance and figure how much they'll cover, until then I need to make sure I have enough money for any test, pills, or treatments I may still need. :confused:

Not all of us are starting school with full bank accounts or rich families. Some of us need a buffer for any emergencies that may arise whether they are because of family or in my case health. :oops:

On a lighter note, if my endocrinologist says it is OK, I may be able to attend the summer workshops! I look forward to meeting all of you! :)

On the topic of medical cost....

What medical insurance is everyone getting?

I ask because I am too old to be covered under my parents insurance. I know there is a school-sponsored Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan is provided through United HealthCare Student Resources. Has anyone heard anything about that? There is also the SOMA health insurance but I heard it doesn't cover much. :oops:

Also don't forget to send in your physical exam, health history, and vaccine list!

A coworker of mine whose brother is going to TCOM almost forgot about that.

Sorry about that last reply, raaska55 if I sounded tense in replying to you, I didn’t mean to be. :oops:

Sometimes it hard to take a joke when life is giving you a headache:mad:, I can’t wait to start school. :D

Anyone else ready to move on to the next stage of their life. :p

hey all,
looks like i will be withdrawing from tcom. i am so sad to leave because i love the school and the city; however, i was accepted to UNM School of Medicine and will be attending school there. good luck to those on the waitlist and to those starting school. countdown has begun!:luck::luck::luck:
:D

hey all,
looks like i will be withdrawing from tcom. i am so sad to leave because i love the school and the city; however, i was accepted to UNM School of Medicine and will be attending school there. good luck to those on the waitlist and to those starting school. countdown has begun!:luck::luck::luck:

Congrats and good luck. I heard that Albuquerque is very nice city design wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone be interested in sharing notes from the anatomy course? I signed up for it before I noticed the conflict with the other course. It’s all paid for and I will transfer the title over to the first person with a big heart and nice handwriting.

Béla
832-428-6596

On the topic of medical cost....

What medical insurance is everyone getting?

I ask because I am too old to be covered under my parents insurance. I know there is a school-sponsored Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan is provided through United HealthCare Student Resources. Has anyone heard anything about that? There is also the SOMA health insurance but I heard it doesn't cover much. :oops:
I am going with the United HealthCare option :thumbup:
Also don't forget to send in your physical exam, health history, and vaccine list!

A coworker of mine whose brother is going to TCOM almost forgot about that.

Sorry about that last reply, raaska55 if I sounded tense in replying to you, I didn’t mean to be. :oops:

Sometimes it hard to take a joke when life is giving you a headache:mad:, I can’t wait to start school. :D
No it's ok, but I admit I was confused :laugh: I was thinking ...."does he think I am rich or something??" LOL, because I am sooo not. I was fortunate enough to earn a scholarship for my undergrad, so loans are scary for me :scared: 42k is still on the really low side for med school though :)

Anyone else ready to move on to the next stage of their life. :p
Me!!!

Hope things get better for you meds....we'll be around for support when you need it :)

hey all,
Congrats !!! :hardy:

Would anyone be interested in sharing notes from the anatomy course? I signed up for it before I noticed the conflict with the other course. It’s all paid for and I will transfer the title over to the first person with a big heart and nice handwriting.

Béla
832-428-6596

hey there Béla,
I can do that for you! Let me know what you need.
Vera

I am going with the United HealthCare option :thumbup:

No it's ok, but I admit I was confused :laugh: I was thinking ...."does he think I am rich or something??" LOL, because I am sooo not. I was fortunate enough to earn a scholarship for my undergrad, so loans are scary for me :scared: 42k is still on the really low side for med school though :)

Hope things get better for you meds....we'll be around for support when you need it :)

Sorry, about the confusion raaska55. You are right about the cost. I guess I was too excited about the fact that I got in that I didn’t even really consider the price tag. Unfortunately I don’t much control over cost for now but hopefully I can reduce my borrowing next year.

Thanks you very much for your words of help it means a lot. :)

Thanks guys. I'm still a little depressed about leaving. However, I am thinking it is the best choice for me. If anyone needs an apt, I may be able to help you out bc I need to pull out of a place I put a deposit on. It's an AMAZING condo less than a mile from school. PM me if you are interested.

hey guys,
congrats to you all - it makes me a bit jealous to see you guys preparing for the start of med school!
i am applying to TCOM this year and really hope to be in your shoes one year from now.
My stats are 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA; 3.8 GPA for a public health certification program that I have done through UT-HSC (all grad level classes); MCAT 31Q (13 PS, 11 Bio, 7 Verbal), I have two years of research experience at a medical school, unique ECs, and strong LORs.
I'm a reapplicant this year - I applied to all TX schools and a few out of state schools, but did not apply to any DO programs. I fully regret that, but am hoping that this time around, I'll be granted some interviews and at least one acceptance! :) My MCAT score was a 26 last year, so I am not surprised that I didn't receive any MD interviews.
Anyway, based on my stats and your experiences, can you let me know what you think my chances are at TCOM?
Also, I have submitted my TMDSAS application already and will be submitting the secondary any day now. I don't want to be complacent with this process - is there anything you recommend that I do between now and interview season that can increase the chances of me getting any interview at TCOM? Is there someone at the admissions office that you suggest I talk to?

Any suggestions are welcome!

I am so extremely excited to be here!!!!! I finally got accepted to TCOM after three years of "NO"s. I just graduated from UNTHSC with a Master's in Medical Sciences, so I know the campus and many of the faculty. I can tell ya, it's gonna be a tough but wonderful four years! :D

At graduation last month, we all got recognized by the audience, of course. But when the DO students rose for recognition.....the whole place went on FIRE! I still get goose-bumps remembering it today! Those physicians were so respected and honored by the school, and by friends and family....it is a sobering thing, my fellow classmates! May we all work hard and be successful!!!! :luck:

See y'all next month! And for those people just moving to Texas.....welcome to the GREATEST state in the Union!!!!!;)

Love,
Mandy

Congrats Mandy, you deserve the acceptance w/persistence & determination like that, esp after making it through a program as rigorous as the Medical Masters :) Can't wait to meet you guys!

Hey thanks! ;-)

ACCEPTED FROM THE WAITLIST!!!! uhhh when do classes start? i guess i should find a place to live too...soon...any one know of people trying to sell a nice little house?

Hello 2013ers,

My name is Chad Everett, class of 2010. I just finished my third year rotations today and thought I’d take a moment to say welcome and to tell you all about something I’ve been working on for the past couple of weeks.

Recently, I have gotten the chance to meet some of the good folks from 2012 and have lunch with them at the hospital I was working at during their Grand Rounds on several occasions. Without fail, we always engaged some informal question and answer sessions and I realized that I really enjoyed the experience. I then thought to myself that I would have killed for an upper level to have told me some of the things I had passed on. It would have made my life exponentially easier.

After all, med school can be a little overwhelming at first, what with information flying at you, joining clubs, meeting 50 new people a day and hoping you can remember 4 or 5 names, etc. With that thought in mind, I approached the Clinical Medicine department chairman Dr. Dayberry with the idea of organizing a volunteer organization from my class that would sit in on your weekly Clin Med classes. Attaching ourselves to that class serves the purpose of allowing us to be there to help out and teach physical exam and patient interviewing skills. And it would maximize your face time with us since attendance is mandatory.

It would also provide the opportunity to gather feedback from your class to pass up the chain as I’m sure you’d rather gripe to your peers, rather than your professors. This function alone could serve to halt potential problems before they ever develop.

Oh, and of course, we would be there to answer your questions as well. Since we would only be informally attached to the school that would mean that pretty much any question would be fair game. Classes, board exams, rotations, you name it. Of course, this would be with the tacit understanding that the caveat “This is how it was for us” will always apply.

I apologize for the length of this message. Essentially it boils down to, “I’m starting this little endeavor. There are more than a few of my classmates willing to help out. We would be volunteers there to help you, not grade you. The whole idea is to make things better for you than we had it.” I honestly had more to say in a more articulate manner but I’m too tired from my surgery shelf exam this morning to continue.

I will try to respond to comments on this thread as frequently as I can, but honestly the best way to get in touch with me is my school email which is:

[email protected]

I check my mailbox religiously, so if you have questions, fire away. You all have my solemn promise that I will never intentionally mislead you. You will always get the most honest and informed answers that I can provide.

Finally, my first bit of advice: Enjoy your break before Matriculation. Live it up while you can because you’ll be pretty busy for the foreseeable future. That being said, I’d like to congratulate you all. I look forward to meeting you all soon.

-Chad

ACCEPTED FROM THE WAITLIST!!!! uhhh when do classes start? i guess i should find a place to live too...soon...any one know of people trying to sell a nice little house?

You can find listings for houses and apartments at

http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/

This information is from another thread:

Now that you’ve been accepted jump in to the “Unthsc-tcom class of 2013!” (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=585861) thread!!

Finally don’t forget to join the TCOM 2013 group on face book!

Also here is TCOMS Class of 2013 website => http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Sites/Orientation/

Class of 2013 - Orientation web site - http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Sites/Orientation/index.cfm

Again congratulations and I look forward to seeing you in July.

Medstudent 2010 ( I should change that to Medstudent 2009 )
TCOM 2013

Orientation is manatory!!! it starts July 20, 2009 So you need to be in fort worth and set up by then.

Any other questions let me know. congrats :D

You can find listings for houses and apartments at

http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/

This information is from another thread:

Now that you’ve been accepted jump in to the “Unthsc-tcom class of 2013!” (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=585861) thread!!

Finally don’t forget to join the TCOM 2013 group on face book!

Also here is TCOMS Class of 2013 website => http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Sites/Orientation/

Class of 2013 - Orientation web site - http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Sites/Orientation/index.cfm

Again congratulations and I look forward to seeing you in July.

Medstudent 2010 ( I should change that to Medstudent 2009 )
TCOM 2013

Orientation is manatory!!! it starts July 20, 2009 So you need to be in fort worth and set up by then.

Any other questions let me know. congrats :D

Got it. turned in my acceptance form yesterday...guess its official I will be attending this fall! Has anyone heard bad reviews regarding Tarrant county? My mom seems to think there is alot of crime, but Ft. Worth seems like heaven compared to San Antonio...

bleh.....I think I'll do biochem and anatomy :( LOL, so that means school really starts July 6th for us, huh? :laugh:

THANKS Y'ALL for all the input....I needed other's perspectives. :) See ya later!

July 6th? wow, and first years just got out last friday. what a crappy break for y'all. im so glad to be a third year now. HAHAHAHA.

YAY! I can't wait for TCOM next year. Congrats to all of you who were accepted! :D When and how are you all finding housing?? Any ROME scholars out there?? HOORAY for TCOM!
I hope to be a Rome scholar. Take the Mcat in six week and I am stressing out. If you ever want to lay down some knowledge I would be grateful. Any pointers about the process or your trip to get in.